Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ALT_uscis/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Nice

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Ha ha, this person hasn't realized it yet
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1029432932094668802

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve said this for years here and elsewhere, why does annnnyone use capital one or chase? Fooled by hook promotions and too lazy to change?

For my in-laws its a combination of way too many things are on auto pay which is apparently impossible to stop and laziness.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve said this for years here and elsewhere, why does annnnyone use capital one or chase? Fooled by hook promotions and too lazy to change?

The majority of stuff I do is through credit unions, but i do have an amazon rewards card for all the poo poo i buy on there and that's by Chase

no problems so far, but then again all my checking and savings (lol savings) is through my badass CU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I wish it was as easy for me. Then again, I do a shitload of subcontractor work so my income isn't as set as yours may be and that was part of the problem however now I'm in a much better situation and the payments are reasonable.

Also echoing the credit union thing, they are so much better than banks in almost every way.

Oh yeah, I had a year where I lost my job and did freelance to make ends meet, and they were humongous dicks about documentation. They won't tell you what they want; they just tell you that what you sent them wasn't good enough. If I hadn't gotten a job at just the right moment, they were going to throw me off IBR entirely, which would have been horrible because I'm pretty sure DeVos or some other ghoul will end that program soon enough and I want to be grandfathered in when they do.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://youtu.be/GkPafYQbrmo

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Burt Sexual posted:

My wife and I use Capital One because she's had the account since college. (Like 20 years ago) . The rates are irrelevant because we use it for all of our purchases and then pay it off every month. Then we collect lots and lots of gift cards from all the points we accrue.

So, basically laziness.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

:same:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LegoMan posted:

My wife and I use Capital One because she's had the account since college. (Like 20 years ago) . The rates are irrelevant because we use it for all of our purchases and then pay it off every month. Then we collect lots and lots of gift cards from all the points we accrue.

So, basically laziness.

This is the only sane way to have a credit card these days.
Its to have had one for a long time and been well off for all of that time.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is the only sane way to have a credit card these days.
Its to have had one for a long time and been well off for all of that time.

Yeah I'm sure we qualify for the guillotine. As long as you let us go first before it gets dull.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LegoMan posted:

Yeah I'm sure we qualify for the guillotine. As long as you let us go first before it gets dull.

Guillotines never get dull, each dead capitalist is as exciting as the last!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

you literally get free money if you pay off your credit card every month. game the system comrades, bring it down from within,

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

twoday posted:

The sheer amount of things that banks can charge you for in America is ridiculous. Overdraft fees - they let you take out more money than you have, and rhen fine you dor not having the money

lol my mom gave me a check for 100 bux to get from palm springs to Eugene, Oregon. it was a US bank check. I took it to US bank to cash it out and they charged me something like 5-10bux to get the money out

it was absurd

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Lil Peeler posted:

lol my mom gave me a check for 100 bux to get from palm springs to Eugene, Oregon. it was a US bank check. I took it to US bank to cash it out and they charged me something like 5-10bux to get the money out

it was absurd

a bunch of supermarkets will cash smallish checks for $2-$3, but most won't risk cashing personal checks

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

lol this man, wow

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

No two nations are not on fire.

several pages back but thank u for the chuckle as i understand that reference

e: we have no credit and can't get a loving credit card and we could really use one. I don't even know where to start anymore. we're with a good regional bank and they have some type of credit card but I don't think we qualify for it. and while we have the money for a modest secured credit card of some type, I could also just use that to pay poo poo up front. it would just be nice to be able to pay something off in two months instead of just all at once.

snoo has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Aug 19, 2018

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So I don't know if it's been posted in here, but there's a Radiolab episode where they interview people who took part in one of the protests that was organized by Russians, it sure is something:

The Curious Case of the Russian Flash Mob at the West Palm Beach Cheesecake Factory

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Modest Mao posted:

lol this man, wow

I'm terrified, yet certain that Trump isn't being serious - but also he scares me.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

this is tough to watch

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/19/tangier-island-donald-trump-2016-219349

quote:

The summer of 2016 enters its final weeks, the upcoming presidential election looms ever larger on Virginia’s Tangier Island. Tourists travel a harbor channel lined with TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT signs, then step off the boats into a gauntlet of them. Golf carts display Trump bumper stickers at bow and stern. One café and cart-rental business is so adorned with Make America Great Again placards and Trump flags that it looks more like a campaign headquarters.

The election even snakes its way into church. “Now, I’m going to get political on you for just a minute,” Pastor John Flood announces in the midst of his sermon at Tangier’s Methodist church one Sunday. “How you vote is between you and the Lord. When you close the curtain, that’s up to you.”

Soon enough, he gets to a but. “There is one party that believes that there should be same-sex marriage,” he says. “How can a Christian vote for that? How can a Christian vote for anything goes?” Many heads nod. “Who would have ever thought that there would be a party pushing the point that you could go in any bathroom that you want to?”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tangier Island

Area code(s): 757

Elevation: 3 ft (1 m)

ZIP code: 23440

Losing my land and all my possessions to own the libs

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

owning my trans kids to own the libs

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Well yes but you see, god. An entity that has no proof of existence that I must obey unquestioningly because

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well yes but you see, god. An entity that has no proof of existence that I must obey unquestioningly because

because otherwise i wouldn't be better than everyone else. duh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Tangier Island

Area code(s): 757

Elevation: 3 ft (1 m)

ZIP code: 23440

Losing my land and all my possessions to own the libs

quote:

He did not stop there. “I love Trump,” Ooker declared without the hint of a smile, “as much as any family member I got.” Even after 14 months of exposure to Ooker’s strident political views, I was goggle-eyed. Two thoughts immediately crossed my mind. First: There was no way CNN wasn’t using that. And second: Trump was bound to take notice.

Gray wrapped up the interview by asking again what her panel would like to say to the president. “Donald Trump, if you see this, I mean, anything you can do—we’d welcome any help you can give us,” Ooker said. “If Donald Trump would come out here, I’ll take him out crabbing and take him out for a good crab cake dinner.”

The segment aired four days later, on Friday, June 9. Gray’s report juxtaposed the island’s steady inundation, its support for Donald Trump and Trump’s characterization of climate change as a hoax—and included a brief interview with me toward the end. In the first minutes after the story ran, several Tangiermen posted Facebook comments lauding the piece and congratulating Ooker for his comments.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

quote:

Distrustful of scientists (with whom they’ve often disagreed on matters of bay ecology), staunchly patriotic (Tangier contributed more of its young men to fight in World War II, per capita, than any other town in Virginia), and biblically literalist (man is too puny to so affect the works of God), old-school Tangiermen see their dilemma not as a product of man-induced rising seas, but wind-driven waves that have smacked into its flanks since the Creation.

The solution is as simple as the problem, they figure. They want the federal and state governments to build a protective wall around its perimeter.

government handouts you say? but you just said man is too puny to affect the works of god

quote:

Crabs are central to the Tangier economy, as they have been for generations. Everyone was nervous. “There ain’t no crabs, and they’re hurting,” Leon’s daughter Carlene said of the island’s watermen, during prayer requests at church. “We will praise him. The Lord knows we have need of crabs, and he’ll provide.”

lol maybe you should have loving listened to the scientists on matters of bay ecology you dumb fucks

i'm sure the lord will provide plenty of crabs to wander the crab shacks and churches of tangier once they lie under the sea

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Please God, give me crabs.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slamhound posted:

Please God, give me crabs.

well baltimore is just around the corner

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Yeah I grew up pretty close to there and I have pretty mixed feelings about the good people of Tangier. First off, yeah they're super nice people, especially compared to other isolated communities. But for all their talk of self reliance they have taken an extraordinary amount of money from Virginia's public funds (in the past decade they've received a new power plant, airfield and I think a new school). And the whole sum-game of public discourse can be distilled into how this island reacts politically. We have learned the lessons about how to work with the men and women of Tangier:

https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=5968808

^ that's a paper not like a virus or whatever.

But we absolutely refuse to go about it the right way. You can see it in the dialogue with the mayor, he wants to understand. He's not wrong about wave action and storms, but that is ~*also a symptom of climate change*~. It's all so stupid because they're like 800 people. What can they do about climate change, realistically? Oooker is not wrong that a seawall is the best thing that would save Tangier, in the short and medium term. Are they going to pay for it? lol, no.

All this having been said when they all feel relieved when big daddy trump says 'oh yeah, no you'll be fine, you'll be fine' it is very hard for me to have sympathy. "We just want something done." "Ah yes a phone call with nothing but platitudes will do."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
ook em in the dooker

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

God's commandments are universally true, and their lining up perfectly with the moral sensibilities of all bronze age seminomads is purely coincidental.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I love making GBS threads on Trump but he's clearly joking here.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a7m2 posted:

I love making GBS threads on Trump but he's clearly joking here.

if your boss talks a bout pay cuts they're never joking

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Relevant to this thread:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1031550003645480962

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

got any sevens posted:

ook em in the dooker

this is the right answer

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol Elkhart

anyway I'm kind of suspicious of these articles because the MO of every last one of these chud safari dipshits is to exclude anything that doesn't fit their narrative, so you'll never heard from minorities or people who think Trump is a huge loving moron and this is all his fault. the same people doing these are the same people who spend the rest of their day equivocating and normalizing Trump

like that Third Way Safari article where you got see how the people critical of austerity and market solutions were erased from everything in favor of people who were interested in charter school expansion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

lol Elkhart

anyway I'm kind of suspicious of these articles because the MO of every last one of these chud safari dipshits is to exclude anything that doesn't fit their narrative, so you'll never heard from minorities or people who think Trump is a huge loving moron and this is all his fault. the same people doing these are the same people who spend the rest of their day equivocating and normalizing Trump

like that Third Way Safari article where you got see how the people critical of austerity and market solutions were erased from everything in favor of people who were interested in charter school expansion

I'm gonna profile a factory with 60% minority workforce and only quote white Trump supporters who give Trump a pass on costing them and everyone they know their jobs.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

edit: wrong thread

morningdrew has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I'm gonna profile a factory with 60% minority workforce and only quote white Trump supporters who give Trump a pass on costing them and everyone they know their jobs.

yeah the Carrier coverage was just so insanely obviously biased and stupid

too bad this country is apparently 100% white people in management and small business owners according to the press

like no poo poo the business owner thinks everything will work out fine, how about the people who don't own a bunch of capital or have a bunch of money