Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

if i say it enough it sorta starts to sound like dud-town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blamestorm posted:

For someone like Dutton he might as well challenge, he’s gone otherwise in six or fewer months. The laughable part is that almost nobody believes it will do anything positive, I would imagine it’s more punitive at this point if it happens. But I think like Gillard at the end there will be a sense of throwing poo poo at the wall because action is better than inaction with looming electoral disaster.

The one possible upside of Dutton winning the leadership would be him having a good possibility of joining the short list of sitting PMs who have lost their seat.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

quote:

Mr Dutton is being pressured by marginal seat MPs to challenge for the leadership.

quote:

it’s as much about Malcolm’s obsession with climate change and his inability to have the discipline to keep a message for any longer than 12 hours.”

quote:

Former prime minister Tony Abbott said

quote:

Tony Abbott

quote:

Mr Abbott said

:thunk:

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I'd just really enjoy the symmetry of it going Rudd, Gillard, Rudd, Tony, Malcolm, Dutton. Really cements the idea of instability in Australian politics.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Labor have been stable for a while despite rumours

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's just been fumbling desperate attempts to create a Labor chaos message to distract from the genuine Liberal chaos. It's so obviously manufactured that I don't know why anyone would bother paying attention to it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but but but Labor chaos *points at Bill, who has been leader of the opposition for 5 years*

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bowmore posted:

Labor have been stable for a while despite rumours

Backbenchers in marginal seats would rather be in government with anyone as leader than out of a job with their preferred pick as leader of the opposition. As long as the Coalition continues to self destruct Labor will stay the course.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

If there’s a challenge and Mal keeps the throne can he say “gently caress you all” and call an election?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

*quietly cheering*

Dut-ton Dut-ton Dut-ton

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dude McAwesome posted:

If there’s a challenge and Mal keeps the throne can he say “gently caress you all” and call an election?
that sounds risky

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sky News now reporting leadership spill to happen tomorrow with no sources???

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Sky News now reporting leadership spill to happen tomorrow with no sources???

this truly is the dumbest timeline

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Birdstrike posted:

:emptyquote:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:auspol:

i bought the smilie

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Birdstrike posted:

if real people weren't hurting it would be funny

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bell jar posted:

i bought the smilie

legend :auspol:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Terrific

:auspol: :auspol: :auspol:

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
:auspol: :auspol: :auspol:

:itwaspoo:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bell jar posted:

i bought the smilie
noice

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Dude McAwesome posted:

I doubt he would do it but he could, we have to have one for half the senate before may next year anyway and it'd be too bold and expensive(campaigning wise) to not run a house election at the same time. however with a state election due for November in Victoria it would be a bad time to call one, the LNP is pretty tapped out at the best of times and even with malcom kicking in some of his own money again they'll be hard pressed to run two properly funded campaigns stretching their donations so thin. if they gave up on Victoria they could maybe pull the money together but i don't see that happening

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bell jar posted:

i bought the smilie

bell jar is the best jar

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Konomex posted:

I'd just really enjoy the symmetry of it going Rudd, Gillard, Rudd, Tony, Malcolm, Dutton. Really cements the idea of instability in Australian politics.

I can't remember who posted it originally, but I was always fond of the fact that we haven't had a PM serve a full term since before the original iPhone was released

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1031329495729336320

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1031330848438550528

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
:siren:TURNBULL TO GIVE PRESS CONFERENCE ON LIBERAL LEADERSHIP WITH SCOTT MORRISON :siren:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My favourite part about all of this, is that the only thing that I can think of that could possibly cause the LNP vote to tank that hard... Is the fact that they were considering putting Dutton in as PM.

And now because of it, they're probably going to do it.

Conservatives are the stupidest assholes going, and it'd be funny if they weren't destroying the planet as we speak.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

:siren:TURNBULL TO GIVE PRESS CONFERENCE ON LIBERAL LEADERSHIP WITH SCOTT MORRISON :siren:

He looks tired.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

gosh the LNP would be idiots from multiple perspectives if they knife turnbull. didn't he fund a lot of their last fed election campaign?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

embattled

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE KNIFE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao he caved on the neg

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Neg negged.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

bell jar posted:

i bought the smilie

Good work cobber.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
What a time to be alive!

*shuffling footsteps off camera*

Actually after consulting with my party I am dead.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there anything more contemptible than a leader who lacks the ability to set a direction?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Before Times posted:

gosh the LNP would be idiots from multiple perspectives if they knife turnbull. didn't he fund a lot of their last fed election campaign?

This is the thing.

It's not even about the money, although that is a factor. Who knows how much he's actually bringing with him, besides his own donations, and friends in very high places.

But before you even get to that. Turnbull is the shiniest turd they've got.

The approval ratings have very little to do with him, personally. He's been smashing Shorten since day one, and even now he's still leading him. He leads dutton by something like 60%. Dutton can't even crack 10%, and that's not even accounting for most polls being biased towards older conservatives these days.

This dip has very little to to with Turnbull, and everything to do with the back bench being a colossal pack of fuckheads and making his job impossible. Yes, some might see it as an indictment of his ability to lead - but when the party has been putting the most recalcitrant ideological pigfuckers into regional seats for the past 15 years; when Abbott, Andrews, Hastie and god knows who else have been working day in day out trying to drum up support for ANYONE ELSE; and when the right wing media are spending more time trying to herd you into their favoured policy position, despite it being MILES away from both your mandate as a progressive alternative to Abbott's government, and also where voters want it to be...

You've got no loving chance. I'm not even sure Howard could manage these guys. So yeah, slapping a new coat of poo poo on the party isn't going to help, and I expect to see the primary vote tank even harder everywhere other than the most racist parts of the bush.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

shut up turdbulb

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1031337115517313025

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1031337952494776320

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I too enjoy seeing emissions targets destroyed by idealogues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The neg was always going to be poo poo.

• Locked thread