Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ChickenWing posted:

Didn't BDO also have your character able to afk farm or whatever when you were offline?

Sort of. Your client had to be open and logged in and you could specifically set it up to do a specific gathering type task while you were away. So you don't need to be at your PC, but it's not while you're actually "offline" in the same way that game was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Bdo has a task bar mode though.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A Tale in the Desert had offline gathering tasks. No being caught and sold into prostitution needed.

Gathering apparently persisted even when you cancelled your sub, so when the end of tale free-to-play came along you'd log in overburdened with 10,000+ onions or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

A Tale in the Desert had offline gathering tasks. No being caught and sold into prostitution needed.

Then what's even the point, really.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

throw to first drat IT posted:

Age of Wushu had this but instead of some AI routines your character just did some job in place of an NPC to earn you cash and you could be kidnapped and sold to steal the money, so everyone just kidnapped everyone and sold them to prostitution. Except one goon who kidnapped prostitutes and sold them to a school.
I'm not entirely sure why the mechanic was there, to be honest.

So prostitutes can further themselves with an education, duh.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

2DCAT posted:

:same:

The folks they identified have no experience with netcode and that's honestly the hardest part. This game is going to fail hard.

Also, they don't even have a prototype to show?! Just... Wtf is with companies continuing to do this. Why havent brain damaged customers caught onto this scamming trend yet?

More importantly, why do people take solace in knowing that game programmers from poorly coded games are going to somehow make things better this time around.

Of note... Programmers in the gaming industry are terrible. Like... Laughably terrible. I think I'd trust someone with a history outside of gaming more than I would with a decade within the industry

They only have one developer, not the three they claim. Technical account management, customer service, and developer operations are NOT programming. They are fine, good jobs and can even be deeply “technical”. But they have as much to do with developing large systems as Starbucks CEOs have to do with latte art.

I’m a developer, and I could not do a dev ops job with any real degree of usefulness. It’s the same the other way around.

Edit: whoa this post is old

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All they really need is someone to manage the website and someone else to make pretty 3D models of things they can sell to players in the cash shop before the game* exists yet.

*game may not actually exist

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I saw that there was an Ashes of Creation update thing so figured I'd bump this thread. It's kind of hard to copy and paste what's in there in one block.

https://mailchi.mp/intrepidstudios.com/ashes-of-creation-development-update-300567

Some highlights

Got some streams coming up soon

quote:

This summer so far has seen some incredible progress for the advancement of Ashes of Creation, as well as, the growth of Intrepid Studios. We have some announcements planned for our PAX Panel on September 1st, at 10:30AM PDT, which we will be broadcasting live from our Twitch, and the PAX official Twitch feed.

We will also be showing off some action combat in our next Live Stream, scheduled for August 17th, at 2PM PDT on our Twitch.

They hired more devs

quote:

We will also be showing off some action combat in our next Live Stream, scheduled for August 17th, at 2PM PDT on our Twitch.

Bunch of alpha info

quote:

We currently have over 8,500 participants for our Alpha One testing phases. We announced last month, that we will be closing the sales to Alpha One, in order to keep this number below 10,000 testers.

Our Alpha One is split up into two testing phases.

Phase One of Alpha One, which will be accessible next month, will be focusing on the action side of combat, and will include modes of; Open World Battlegrounds, Castle Sieges and City Defense "Horde Mode". This phase is designed to test the mechanics of our action side of combat, as well as, our castle siege systems, and adaptive AI mechanics in the Horde mode. We will be detailing this phase further in our next stream and at our Panel.

Phase Two of Alpha One, which will be accessible near the beginning of 2nd Quarter 2019, will feature our Hybrid Combat testing of Action/Tab skills that players will be able to customize through their class skill tree. In addition, this phase will include;
Progression to Level 20
4 Playable races
Character Customization Suite
8 base archetypes
Portions of our housing systems
Portions of our crafting/Artisan systems
Node Progression to Stage 4
120sqkm of world map
Questing and Society/Guild Systems
Phase Two of Alpha One is the more traditional Alpha Testing for an MMORPG, and will have 2 World Servers available. Name Reservations for Alpha One participants will begin during Phase Two. Announcements of the Server Names will be made at PAX Prime, during our panel.

The last day for Alpha One packages ends on Wednesday, August 15th. The new cosmetics for August will be updated on Wednesday, August 15th.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
It doesn't matter how many devs they hire. Their company was nothing but artists and they produced a horrific-looking kickstarter pitch - they could turn their company into nothing but game devs and the result would be equally horrific

Asses of Creation

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Action combat in their next Live Stream, scheduled for August 17th, at 2PM PDT on their Twitch.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is the mmo made by an actual legitimate pyramid scheme con man right?

I get all my kickstarter scams mixed up.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Combat:

https://youtu.be/dsUp46b2gR0

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is a good start overall. I think Peon hit on the obvious concerns in the vid.

This could look like a huge mess of spell effects and people flailing around in large scale combat.

And I’m confused about this, “You can do tab targeting or action combat!” stuff. Like if I’m using a bow why would I choose action combat and aiming when I could just use tab targeting?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Presumably it'll do something like Dungeon Fighter. In DFO, you can do your moves either by entering fighting game inputs, or having the skill on your hotbar and hitting the key related to it. Abilities have shorter cooldowns if you use the fighting game inputs.

Still, given all the dive rolling bullshit (and the lag that would exist if it weren't 6 people on a LAN in an office playing), tab targeting would still be the way to go by far if it meant you couldn't miss.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so what is this game supposed to be exactly

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress you can buy lanyards

why

is this like a scam

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it supposed to buy the grifter criminal who founded it a new house, it is not like a scam, it is a scam

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the subreddit for this game is freaking out because it turns out the game handling EU publishing is a notorious scummy Russian (I think) publisher that is probably a front for the mob or something idk, people are pretty angry

from the publisher:

evidently my.com, the publisher, currently runs a game called Revelation Online which is bloated with nonsense malware and run incompetently
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HqGAB1Z5xG-aqJYY0j1R1oGMEcWeAYRSNXoixalPNgc/preview

quote:

Players on the top leaderboards had their accounts hacked and gear listed on the Auction House.

Database breach, account security compromised requesting all users to change passwords.

Flood of fake currency in-game due to players refunding their purchase on paypal and not being banned or having purchased currency refunded.

Large scale PvP resulted in a 'slideshow' of events with players lagging in a fixed place.

Players who lived in the same city as the servers had 100+ ping.

Non-existent, un-helpful, customer support.
Trigger happy bans by inexperienced community moderators across the forums and discord, resulting in waves of players being banned for the most unreasonable decisions.

Players found their data being routed through China resulting in ridiculous ping on home servers.

so any goons in the EU can look forward to only the highest level of service and support for this game

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Lol at anyone who still didn't know what my.com was about after Allods and Skyforge.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Byolante posted:

This but crowd funding in general

Hey, that's not right, several games and what not have been made.

But not a single successful kickstarted MMO exists. Shroud of the Avatar is a shambolic mess, so even though it actually kinda made it into launch, it sure as gently caress ain't a success.

This WoW clone wont be on either, it'll be Free2Play within a matter of months with a cash shop full of winners delight.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Lol at anyone who still didn't know what my.com was about after Allods and Skyforge.

Was Allods ever popular in the west?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Shy posted:

Was Allods ever popular in the west?

It was for a while, then it finally started getting through to more people that it was broken as gently caress.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Schubalts posted:

It was for a while, then it finally started getting through to more people that it was broken as gently caress.

it shot itself in the foot with the most blatant greedy p2w cash shop ever seen at the time that made you pay real money to remove debuffs incurred on death

the game was really well received in beta up to that point but then everyone was like gently caress this poo poo

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Sky forge was so pretty and had cool combat but of course they hosed it all up

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

clone on the phone posted:

Sky forge was so pretty and had cool combat but of course they hosed it all up

Skyforge had a lot of good things going for it and one god-awful designed for mad credit card swiping progression system.

I liked the core game play loop & dungeons for the most part but yeah... killed by bad design. Like a fully intact designer race car only someone made it entirely out of dried pasta or something.

I was once dragged to some high level dungeon by a random high level person I didn't know (I'm talking major, major character power disparity) and my character never replaced any of the drops. Never had a reason to.

If anyone is curious and wants to waste bandwidth finding out what I mean, go ahead. But don't come back mad once you figure it out.

https://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/viper-trophies-packs-are-now-available

Didn't take long to find an example. Spend real money and obtain a weapon that boosts your class abilities that isn't obtainable any other way.

Like, I'm certainly guilty of spending money to obtain an in game advantage in various games (because gently caress grinding, my free time is more valuable) but this is simply :suicide:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 27, 2018

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Zaodai posted:

Presumably it'll do something like Dungeon Fighter. In DFO, you can do your moves either by entering fighting game inputs, or having the skill on your hotbar and hitting the key related to it. Abilities have shorter cooldowns if you use the fighting game inputs.

Still, given all the dive rolling bullshit (and the lag that would exist if it weren't 6 people on a LAN in an office playing), tab targeting would still be the way to go by far if it meant you couldn't miss.

Oh poo poo is DFO still around? Lets just play that

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Guess who just hopped on a bandwagon.

https://sf.my.com/us/patchnotes?_1ld=2634156_0&_1lp=1

quote:

Battle Royale has been added to Skyforge. We decided to join the global flashmob of game developers and added this PvP mode to the game!
Battle Royale will be a separate mode that you can enter and play even if you don’t have a character in the main game.

They added a standalone BATTLE ROYALE MODE, complete with shrinking map.

quote:

But Battle Royale wouldn’t be what it is unless the game area got smaller from time to time. Night will fall, and not many will live through it. If players end up outside the game area, they will take damage until they die. The match will be over for them. The rest will clash in battle.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

Guess who just hopped on a bandwagon.

https://sf.my.com/us/patchnotes?_1ld=2634156_0&_1lp=1

They added a standalone BATTLE ROYALE MODE, complete with shrinking map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BulFwGSi8bc

At the thirty second mark imagine the music stopping with a record scratch while diarrhea occurs on a toilet with spectacular echo.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Verbose posted:

Oh poo poo is DFO still around? Lets just play that

Not only is it around, the korean developers are running the US servers instead of Nexon and its only one year behind the korean version in terms of patching

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

stuff

https://twitter.com/MediaAoC/status/1035579375083642880

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here’s a new gameplay video that shows a bunch of combat and some siege stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ih84Xh5E8

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Met a dude from PAX that had been talking with the Ashes devs there, he sounded really taken in by the whole thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ehud posted:

Here’s a new gameplay video that shows a bunch of combat and some siege stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ih84Xh5E8

You know if I wanted to play that lovely wizards and rogues and warriors CTF Source mod I'd just play that.

And yes it's an early release but it should inspire me to want to play it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A guy is streaming the pre alpha stress test

https://www.twitch.tv/towelliee

Orv
May 4, 2011
It only just now really struck me how hilariously stupid it is to make a BR mode to test your MMO.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So is it just a rule that everything has to have a battle royale mode now?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Zil posted:

So is it just a rule that everything has to have a battle royale mode now?

If you want to secure investor funding? Yes.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

They build the world first, then the story? Wut? Chat is trolling me.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Ehud posted:

towelliee
Nothing good comes from that name except :gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

They did a livestream of mmo gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SJ2Rv8wD1E

The environment and spell effects are super nice.