Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zane posted:

very nice post! i would only add that the distinction between sword/robe nobility fucks up some of these generalizations by the late-medieval/early modern era. which is to say that by the 1500s and 1600s, as part of broader commercialization of society, many nobles were not feudal warriors any longer, but rather much closer to office holders, administrators, and/or (occasionally) businessmen. which fuzzies the conventional distinction between merchant and nobleman. and is accompanied by numerous (not completed) shifts in values by the time those portraits were being made.

which is to say that my own reference to henry viii and louis xiv is quite a bit late as a categorical representation of the 'medieval nobility.' the possibility of my own mistake, however, makes it equally clear that the distinctiveness of nobility as a separate class/status identity--anchored fundamentally in martial prowess--dies late and dies hard.

That's actually one of the snags of talking about Medieval stuff; the "Medieval era" is freaking huge and kind of blurs into the Renaissance and Colonial eras. Crusader Kings II ends in 1453 which was before both Louis and Henry there. However you can really see the Medieval influence that still was common at that point in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Something I'd also like is for the phyiscal appearance of characters or rather their attraction to each other counting for much more when it comes to accepting marriage, possibly with the traits of their parents/guardians also influencing this (say if the parents are whether or not the character you are trying to marry is attracted to you or has a high opinion of you will matter more, than if the parents are cruel, with possibly other traits also playing in here). It should not be trivial for a 50 year old dwarf king to find a bride, even marriages between people with a significant age difference was frowned upon and not as common as often portrayed in fiction (or in game where girls are snatched up the moment they hit 16).

Yup, the girls swoon for guys like this

quote:

His Majesty is the handsomest potentate I ever set eyes on; above the usual height, with an extremely fine calf to his leg, his complexion very fair and bright, with auburn hair combed straight and short, in the French fashion, his throat being rather long and thick. He was born on the 28th of June, 1491, so he will enter his twenty-fifth year the month after next. He speaks French, English, and Latin, and a little Italian, plays well on the lute and harpsichord, sings from book at sight, draws the bow with greater strength than any man in England, and jousts marvelously. Believe me, he is in every respect a most accomplished Prince; and I, who have now seen all the sovereigns in Christendom, and last of all these two of France and England in such great state, might well rest content.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

https://twitter.com/litpatches_txt/status/1027125769796038656

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I was inspired to play as an Armenian in 765.

It's pretty frickin hard to pull off without immediately getting stomped by the abbassids who wont let you out from under the sunni leige you start with and then you have to contend with them once youre independent, and the Byzantines, and the horse douches/tribals to the north.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Honky Dong Country posted:

That dude's going to die "taking care of chamber business."

Actually he's going to die falling from a great height and landing on the last descendant of Jesus Christ. But you were close.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I was inspired to play as an Armenian in 765.

It's pretty frickin hard to pull off without immediately getting stomped by the abbassids who wont let you out from under the sunni leige you start with and then you have to contend with them once youre independent, and the Byzantines, and the horse douches/tribals to the north.

I did this once, and I immedistely swore fealty to the Byzantines to beca lot more secure from the muslim clown car.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I caved and bought all the DLC I was missing, and I must say this is incredibly unrealistic. People catch on way too fast to your secret society dealings. I've been under suspicion of being a Satanist for like, a full year now. Come on, how could they possibly suspect?!

Look at this face, is this a face that would lie about being a Satanist? Really now.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Sydin posted:

I caved and bought all the DLC I was missing, and I must say this is incredibly unrealistic. People catch on way too fast to your secret society dealings. I've been under suspicion of being a Satanist for like, a full year now. Come on, how could they possibly suspect?!

Look at this face, is this a face that would lie about being a Satanist? Really now.

I use a mod to remove the skull masks cause they bug the poo poo out of me. Instead, the head of the order gets red robes.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah well I use a mod to give people more skulls and the head of the Satanists looks like something out of WH40k so there. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Spain --- SKELETONS --- Russia

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

Spain --- SKELETONS --- Russia

I want a version of that image where every nation is skeleton themed. Like skeletons, boneheads, skullbros, the femur federation, and so on.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wasn't it a mod where Europe was filled with various Halloween monsters instead of the regular cultures? WITCHES. VAMPIRES. WEREWOLVES. MUMMIES.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

Wasn't it a mod where Europe was filled with various Halloween monsters instead of the regular cultures? WITCHES. VAMPIRES. WEREWOLVES. MUMMIES.

Well poo poo now I want to see a little two-duchy nation that's got "THE CREATURES FROM THE BLACK LAGOON" crammed in it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

DrSunshine posted:

I tried it, I think as a giant or half-god. Literally everyone becomes a vampire after a hundred years or so. Up to that point it was sort of fun, iirc it added new buildings and artifacts and stuff.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Was that Mythos? I want to try that again, I do love my Halloween monsters.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Well poo poo now I want to see a little two-duchy nation that's got "THE CREATURES FROM THE BLACK LAGOON" crammed in it.

I'd play as that kingdom.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

catlord posted:

Was that Mythos? I want to try that again, I do love my Halloween monsters.

I think so, but whoever was making it moved on last I checked.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Sydin posted:

My first and my favorite Satanist has always been this guy, Sith Lord Gaspare of Venice:

Surely nothing will go wrong if you appoint this evil-looking known-cannibal motherfucker as your spymaster right after taking office as the new Doge. Surely nothing at all!

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 19, 2018

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I haven't played this for a few years but I've bought the DLC on sale when they've been cheap enough, I started a new game last night and within minutes this pleasant nun I met on the road turned out to be Death and I lost a chess game for my and my queen's life. :stare:

I've been looking for reasonably easy starts that aren't overwhelming, I've honed in on the King of Poland in 1066.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ireland 1066 should be pretty good. You should be free to expand and make yourself king of Ireland without much outside interference.

Harald Fairhair (Norway) in 867 or Sigurd Ring in 769 (Sweden) are good for learning Tribal mechanics or raiding. You should be easily able to form either kingdom, if not take over the majority of Scandanavia. Reforming the religion can be tough, and Gavelkind is an rear end to deal with though. You can always pop over to Christianity when you've achieved your tribal pagan goals.

The duke of Flanders (769) is a personal favourite start of mine. You're a vassal to old Charles himself, but you have an amazing demense and gives you a different POV, since you're not independent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sulphagnist posted:

I haven't played this for a few years but I've bought the DLC on sale when they've been cheap enough, I started a new game last night and within minutes this pleasant nun I met on the road turned out to be Death and I lost a chess game for my and my queen's life. :stare:

It's possible to survive the chess event, but not likely. You've got better odds trying to jump her instead - only an 80% chance to die.

My insane ruler wrote a high quality book that gives bug boosts to Stewardship and opinion with horses. :stare:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Winning that chess game is pretty sweet though. Permanent boost to health.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Don't play Ireland, I've never done because it seems dull as crap. Play Sicily, 1081 start. It's not super easy, though it will expose you to alot of different sides of the game and allow you a whole wide range of different directions to expand in or goals to accomplish. And if it becomes a bit too hard there's the possibility of either pledging your allegiance to Byzantium or the HRE (or allying them, though honestly I've come to prefer allying with the merchant republics rather than either of them, you can recoup the prestige hit quickly enough by waging war on the Muslims and you'll have alot of daughters to start with anyway).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 19, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Apulia 1066 is good too, easy to become Sicily with some quick holy warring.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ireland's not quite as slow going with the Jade Dragon CBs

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Another cool game, though not necessarily a starter-thing, is to disable the Turkic invaders in options and start yourself off as a minor Turkic horde vassal somewhere in Central Asia in 867 (or 769 if you prefer, but I like the 867 setup much better), build yourself up by expanding in to the Islamic world and do the Seljuk thing for yourself.

Games where you transition to different religions or government types during the course of it are among my favorites. Another cool one is to just do the Rollo-thing and create Normandy from the 867, either start as a minor Norwegian or Danish ruler (or as another ruler with land to spare, find Rollo, he exists in 867 I'm pretty sure, give him a county and tag-switch to him). Be a vicious viking for a good long while, then eventually go conquering land in Western Europe (preferably France to stick to the Normandy thing and get the Norman culture melting pot) possibly by way of a planned invasion (though I prefer to do this only if West-Francia has broken apart sufficiently to not conquer too much, like to keep my lands a little compact). Then once you're in Western Europe continue raiding and poo poo until it becomes time to go Catholic, possibly due to being holy warred. Then from there go on conquering some other kingdom in a couple of generations or so, such as England or even Sicily and continue playing in that new conquest rather than keeping all your stuff in a single empire.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sydin posted:

The hoods and skulls don't show if their satanism is unknown to you (so it shows if they're known satanist or you're also a satanist)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 19, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So my first satanist finally kicked the bucket, it sure was a trip. What I thought would be 40 boring years of my nerdy, shy, frail king angrily keeping the books in order for an ungrateful realm went off the rails when he got randomly indoctrinated. Highlights include going from frail to brawny by way of an orgy, causing three separate peasant revolts by romping down to the village with fellow worshipers to slaughter them in a grand display, constantly hunting the world for dwarves because Satan really has a hard-on for their blood, and in the end desperately trying to cling to life by eating my excess children to consume their life force. Also I'm convinced Satan was loving my wife, because I got the suspicious pregnancy event twice in a row, and both children turned out to be devil children despite my wife not being a satanist I could remote impregnate. 10/10 would Satan again.

On a less stupid note the conclave stuff is really, really good. I like that council decisions are no longer an automatic "oh hey guy I've never heard of, you have the highest stats so you're in" and instead is a game of political musical chairs and sometimes I really do need to stick an incompetent loser in because he's too powerful to let be annoyed. I also like how the obligations are on a sliding scale.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm 35 years into my Poland game now (thanks for the suggestions, I'll maybe give them a try next or once I rage-quit this game), ruler's hopefully gonna kick the bucket soon because I switched to elective and have secured his son as the next ruler. Next succession should be a little smoother since he will be able to distribute duchy titles to his brothers and most of the votes and candidates will be of my own dynasty.

Highlights of this reign so far:
- ruler joining a monastic society, climbing to the top rank and becoming a nice person and a good parent to his children :unsmith:
- also being able to just outright implant positive traits on ruler's heir and heir's heir by using devotion
- gobbling up Romuva and Slavic territory via well timed holy wars
- hiring an Arab scholar as my physician and him being a really loving good physician
- figuring out how the new council system works -> having a guy with stewardship 6 as steward because I need him inside the tent pissing out instead of outside the tent pissing in
- ruler wrote a book about hunting a bear that somehow gives him sex appeal
- stole Christ's Chrown of Thorns from a/m monastic society
- there was also that time I married my ruler's eldest son to the daughter of the Basileus, who then died, and for about 5 years my ruler's grandson was set to inherit the Roman Empire, but the new Basileus managed to have a son before I could get anywhere close to 100% plot power to have him end up in an unfortunate exploding manure accident. (Also, I used this marriage as an excellent excuse to replace unpronunceable Polish first names with far more aesthetically appealing Greek first names. Future King of Poland's gonna be Michael Piast)

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 19, 2018

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I started a new game as one of the Finnish counts in 769 and after forming the kingdom of Finland, Ragnar and his band of raging assholes decided to attack me.
He had, however, done the usual thing of not checking how much piety I had. Still, between his raging rear end in a top hat friends and himself, the 12000 event troops I was able to pull together were still only just enough to beat him in a straight-up fight and I had to run around sieging everything blue down before I went too far into debt.

And after all that, I only got 28 gold in war reparations. Stingy gently caress.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Sulphagnist posted:

- ruler wrote a book about hunting a bear that somehow gives him sex appeal

What do you mean “somehow”

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

What do you mean “somehow”

Yeah, Davy Crockett built his whole career around that

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So one of Charlemagne's sons just took Italy and made the HRE in 796. I've seen the HRE come up in early starts occasionally but never this early. This is gonna be interesting. Maybe for once the Umayyads won't be able to flood into France quite so easily.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sulphagnist posted:

I've been looking for reasonably easy starts that aren't overwhelming, I've honed in on the King of Poland in 1066.

You should have picked black.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

So one of Charlemagne's sons just took Italy and made the HRE in 796. I've seen the HRE come up in early starts occasionally but never this early. This is gonna be interesting. Maybe for once the Umayyads won't be able to flood into France quite so easily.

In my game Karloman formed the HRE in 784.

:iiam:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Azhais posted:

In my game Karloman formed the HRE in 784.

:iiam:
Hey, another Year of the Four Emperors. Classic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Strudel Man posted:

Hey, another Year of the Four Emperors. Classic.

The HRE embargoed me, I expressed my displeasure

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Honestly I'm usually pretty impressed when someone forms the HRE at all in the 769 start. Sometimes Karl makes Francia and calls it a day, but usually he can't save up enough money for the title and all of Western Europe descends into a thousand years of technicolor gavelkind vomit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Winning that chess game is pretty sweet though. Permanent boost to health.

How common is this event? I've had it 3 times in my current game, lost twice and won once. I would expect a weird event like this to be more like once a playthrough, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Chalks posted:

How common is this event? I've had it 3 times in my current game, lost twice and won once. I would expect a weird event like this to be more like once a playthrough, if that.

Hard to say. I personally haven't seen it in a loooong time.

• Locked thread