Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id say og yugioh is decent shonen up through the end of battle city, minus the filler the anime inserts. yugioh gx has a lot of hills and valleys, some good arcs mixed with some bad arcs, but the last couple arcs are so crazy that i kind of love them. 5ds starts insanely strong then it turned out one of the writers was involved with a cult and a cult is a major plotpoint in the show so they just veer hard right into a tournament show because yikes. i could never get into zexal. arc-v starts really strong then falls off a cliff. vrains exists.

in conclusion: just watch duel monsters until you lose interest, or watch the first 50ish eps of 5ds and call it squared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Thanks guys!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ikuhara's Trinity:
Utena :frogc00l:
Penguindrum :c00lbert:
Yurikuma :shobon:

superLINUS posted:

So my friend REALLY likes Yu-Gi-Oh and I think she’d be stoked if I watched some. But is there any decent Yu-Gi-Oh? Or am I a snob/idiot for even asking?
Like, if Dragon Ball didn't exist, you could say that Yu-Gi-Oh! is peak loving shonen. There's absolutely nothing wrong with PFS if that's your bag.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

Ikuhara's Trinity:
Utena :frogc00l:
Penguindrum :c00lbert:
Yurikuma :shobon:

this might mean something maybe

also where is sailor moon s and the sailor moon r movie

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, it's good. And also super dark. I think there was an anime made out of it at some point, but I've never actually seen it. Definitely worth a read if you're into the series as a whole, though, since it does some cool things, especially with how it goves Kaiba a motivation for hating Yugi besides "rich rear end in a top hat"

yeah there's a two cour anime some by Toei. role hadn't been kind to the video/audio but it existing at all is really interesting to me and it's definitely worth a look if you have any interest/affection for that early manga material

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

this might mean something maybe

also where is sailor moon s and the sailor moon r movie
Utena loving rules. Penguindrum rules just as much but in a different way. Yurikuma is sorta cool but it felt like it needed more. Like they got told midway through production "Yeah, we're doing 1 cour". Like when you hear an album's last song and you notice right away that the band barely even looked at each other during the recording process and you think "Oh, so they were going for that deliber-- ah, no no, the drummer literally stood up and threw his sticks down. Well, crap". It has that feel.

I used to feel strongly about Sailor Moon but nowadays I think my favorite Sailor Moon thing is the OG Manga. :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AnoHito posted:

Consensus here is skewed mainly because the ADTRW thread for it may actually have been the worst thread that SA has ever seen.

Thank you

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This thread has been dead for a while, but I still need recommendations since Im still just basically dipping my toes into this.

I finished FMA Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Konosuba, and Mob Psycho 100. I also just got caught up on My Hero Academia, which is pretty awesome, so now Im looking for something else to watch in between episodes.

I know its a weird cross section of shows but Im hoping its enough to at least point me in another direction.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like you're really into shouen

Maybe give hunter x hunter a go

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

You'll almost definitely like One Punch Man. It's pretty much Mob Psycho, but with superheroes.

Re:Zero might also be a good choice. It's the same trapped in a fantasy world setup as KonoSuba, but played seriously and with a lot more grim things happening.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

Sounds like you're really into shouen

Maybe give hunter x hunter a go

I think someone mentioned this to me once before and I totally forgot about it but yeah this looks right up my alley, thanks!

AnoHito posted:

You'll almost definitely like One Punch Man. It's pretty much Mob Psycho, but with superheroes.

Re:Zero might also be a good choice. It's the same trapped in a fantasy world setup as KonoSuba, but played seriously and with a lot more grim things happening.

I watched the first 2 episodes of OPM but got distracted (by FMA). It didnt seem terrible or anything but the pace felt awkward and I just kind of drifted away from it. Is that normal or did I just not get far enough into it?

Re:Zero is unavailable in my region due to licencing issues. :canada:

e: If Im looking for something a little more grown up/bloody would Hellsing or Parasyte be worth a go?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 13, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

This thread has been dead for a while, but I still need recommendations since Im still just basically dipping my toes into this.

I finished FMA Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, Konosuba, and Mob Psycho 100. I also just got caught up on My Hero Academia, which is pretty awesome, so now Im looking for something else to watch in between episodes.

I know its a weird cross section of shows but Im hoping its enough to at least point me in another direction.
Samurai Champloo is by a lot of the same creative staff as Bebop and has a fairly similar tone, though it's closer to the goofier episodes of Bebop than the more serious ones. Still, there are a few serious moments in Champloo. Soul Eater would probably fit your tastes too, it's an action thing with a mildly horror aesthetic and some really distinctive character designs. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is, well, bizarre, but it's got really great characters and fun action, though it's a lot more about how each action the characters take effects the next action and the escalation of powers until they're so absurdly specific that a literal mouse is a threat to our heroes because his power counters theirs, versus like, straight up fight animation.

Chaika's also kind of a goofy fantasy thing, like Konosuba, though it's way less of a parody and more just a fantasy adventure thing with some good gags but still has a plot and action and such, it takes itself way more seriously than Konosuba even with it having some gags and goofiness. Still, you might enjoy it as a middle-ground between Konosuba and shonen adventure stuff, since it doesn't take itself completely seriously.

Furnaceface posted:

e: If Im looking for something a little more grown up/bloody would Hellsing or Parasyte be worth a go?
Hellsing is cool but it gets fairly edgy, Nazis and the KKK and all. If you're okay with that kinda kinda grindhouse cheese it's a good look, though. Baccano would also be a good choice, it's a very energetic prohibition-era mobster thing, even a little Tarantino in tone, though it jumps around between three different periods in time and reveals how the three stories it's telling correlate slowly over time, so you have to be paying a bit of attention. It's not super complex or anything, though. Black Lagoon is also a really good choice if you want guns and violence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The parasyte manga is quite good, I'm not sure about the anime though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Michiko and Hatchin would be a good one too, sort of in the same vein as Cowboy Bebop where it's a stylish drama with some good action/crime-doing in there

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Samurai Champloo gave me the vibe of having an everyday grimness undercurrent to it, with stuff like decent people getting hosed over or the main three characters not really liking each other at all. It just kept rubbing me the wrong way, so I dropped it after nine episodes. I didn't really get the same impression with Cowboy Bebop which I watched all the way through aside from a couple episodes. It might be the more fantastical elements in the latter that help smooth over that aspect in my head though.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

hellsing is really good if you go into it with a mindset of "this is unabashedly what edgy teenagers think is cool." if you try to take the story at face value i dunno how you'll end up, but if you don't it's loving ridiculous, stylish, and extremely bloody.

parastye is very good, would highly recommend.

have you seen attack on titan? if you're looking for darker shounen that's a pretty good one.

i'll also second the baccano recommendation, with the caveat that if the first episode leaves you feeling extremely confused, just watch the second one before deciding it's too much for you.

wrt OPM, i'd say give it another 2 episodes so you can see one of the best animated fight scenes in existence, and if you're still not feeling it it's not really going to change substantially beyond that point.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
An advantage of Baccano is that if you like it then there is another anime done by the same author in a similar style called Durarara.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What are more series in the vein of Overlord or One Punch Man where the main character(s) is hilariously OP compared to everyone else? Tonally they're kinda different, but both have what I''m looking for

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What are more series in the vein of Overlord or One Punch Man where the main character(s) is hilariously OP compared to everyone else? Tonally they're kinda different, but both have what I''m looking for

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Mob Psycho 100 is by the same dude as One Punch Man. Very different tone, but has some of the same elements.

If you want to watch the main character(s) just clown on their opponents, wish-fulfillment style, No Game No Life might be up your alley. It's got some pretty gross bits in it, so be warned, but if that's something you're willing to look past it's a really good time with some really incredible direction (it shares a lot of key staff with A Place Further Than The Universe

In fact, the entire Isekai genre that Overlord is part of is worth looking into. Overpowered main characters running rampant is kind of the thing.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Akagi: The Genius Who Descended into Darkness is awesome. There's also Problem Children from Another World which is good, though the novel is much better.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Riki-Oh is a manga that fits this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eela6 posted:

Mob Psycho 100 is by the same dude as One Punch Man. Very different tone, but has some of the same elements.

If you want to watch the main character(s) just clown on their opponents, wish-fulfillment style, No Game No Life might be up your alley. It's got some pretty gross bits in it, so be warned, but if that's something you're willing to look past it's a really good time with some really incredible direction (it shares a lot of key staff with A Place Further Than The Universe

In fact, the entire Isekai genre that Overlord is part of is worth looking into. Overpowered main characters running rampant is kind of the thing.

Yeah, this is the best way of describing what I'm looking for. Mob Psycho looks interesting, No Game ... :japan:

I'll check out the other recs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yeah, this is the best way of describing what I'm looking for. Mob Psycho looks interesting, No Game ... :japan:

I'll check out the other recs

I just read I Was A Sword When I Reincarnated! and you might like it. Guy dies in the traditional isekai fashion(getting hit by a car/truck), reincarnates in a fantasy world as a legendary sword. An enslaved beastgirl finds him stuck in the ground in a forest, and their adventure begins. Lots of clowning on deserving people and/or monsters, for sure, and the world itself is pretty good as far as typical fantasy isekai series go. Series is nicknamed "sword dad manga" because he basically takes care of the beastgirl as his daughter and they are very cute together. Really my only complaint is like 3 bad fanservice pages.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the unlimited hyoubu kyousuke? it's basically about anime magneto, a guy with broken superpowers who wants to create a society for people with superpowers where they can live free of oppression/fear from people without powers. it's a spinoff of zettai karen children but it works fine as its own thing, don't worry about watching zkr before it or anything.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Just want to update and thank everyone for their suggestions. Going back to finish OPM was totally worth it, that show is hilarious and very well done. Hellsing did end up being a little too edgy for me so I dropped it, but Parasyte is pretty good so far. As for Baccano, I think I just have zero interest in that time period because it just fell flat right off the bat and never went anywhere afterwards for me. Black Lagoon seems okay after 3 episodes, but I will probably put it on hold until Im done Hunter x Hunter and Parasyte since those 2 are grabbing most of my time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Endorph posted:

the unlimited hyoubu kyousuke? it's basically about anime magneto, a guy with broken superpowers who wants to create a society for people with superpowers where they can live free of oppression/fear from people without powers. it's a spinoff of zettai karen children but it works fine as its own thing, don't worry about watching zkr before it or anything.

Hey, I'd never heard of either of these shows and I started up Zettai Karen Children and it's surprisingly rad? It's half comedy, half the-horrors-of-being-governmentally-owned-psychic-children, complete with the handler of the three main characters in the first episode referring to them as animals and having their governmentally-mandated limiters be in the shape of collars. (The fourth main character, the new handler, immediately gets it cleared so he can give them fashionable accessories instead. ... It's still unsettling.)

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hiya! Me and my boyfriend decided to give anime a chance and watched some shows. We didn't like some shows that are apparently super popular, but have found some that we absolutely loved, so now we're looking forward to something similar.

What we liked: FMA: Brotherhood (well paced, cool, and weirdly serious and political at times),
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 3 and 4 (loving insane, gay as poo poo, and incredibly funny/dumb show that becomes loving Twin Peaks for some reason),
Baccano (cool characters, good atmosphere and interesting story).

Whet we didn't like: One Punch Man and Mob Psycho (while funny at times, sometimes it felt like they're using the same joke over and over),
My Hero Academia (weirdly enough, school stuff was more interesting than actual story, as actual fights weren't really interesting. Also gently caress Mineta forever, I can't ignore poo poo like that),
JoJo Parts 1-2 (I mean, we liked them enough to keep going, but overall, hamon and samey villains were kinda dull).

Obviously we've heard about super famous animes, but for now we're looking for something with a good, gripping story/funny (that doesn't rely on boobs and weird humor that only people from Japan, or who are into Anime, can understand). Maybe something unique and eccentric.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vookatos posted:

Hiya! Me and my boyfriend decided to give anime a chance and watched some shows. We didn't like some shows that are apparently super popular, but have found some that we absolutely loved, so now we're looking forward to something similar.

What we liked: FMA: Brotherhood (well paced, cool, and weirdly serious and political at times),
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 3 and 4 (loving insane, gay as poo poo, and incredibly funny/dumb show that becomes loving Twin Peaks for some reason),

Whet we didn't like: One Punch Man and Mob Psycho (while funny at times, sometimes it felt like they're using the same joke over and over),
My Hero Academia (weirdly enough, school stuff was more interesting than actual story, as actual fights weren't really interesting. Also gently caress Mineta forever, I can't ignore poo poo like that),
JoJo Parts 1-2 (I mean, we liked them enough to keep going, but overall, hamon and samey villains were kinda dull).

Obviously we've heard about super famous animes, but for now we're looking for something with a good, gripping story/funny (that doesn't rely on boobs and weird humor that only people from Japan, or who are into Anime, can understand). Maybe something unique and eccentric.

If you want more shonen Hunter X Hunter is pretty good and for the most part doesn’t have a lot of boobs or quirky humor. Yu Yu Hakusho is also pretty good and by the same author so plays by the same rules.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Vookatos posted:

Durarara (by the Baccano author), Simoun (one of my favorite animes for being a nuanced look at war/religion/human relationships), ACCA 13 (smart spy drama featuring good food), Gunbuster (short and really, really good) and most of the recs here are solid.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You sound like you would enjoy Assassination Classroom. It's an action-comedy that's pretty accessible without just repeating the same Shonen beats as the stuff you've seen already.

If you want to try a pure comedy, maybe Hinamatsuri? Konosuba is normally my go-to rec for anime comedy but there are a lot of boob jokes in that show. Like, a lot.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 25, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, I'd never heard of either of these shows and I started up Zettai Karen Children and it's surprisingly rad? It's half comedy, half the-horrors-of-being-governmentally-owned-psychic-children, complete with the handler of the three main characters in the first episode referring to them as animals and having their governmentally-mandated limiters be in the shape of collars. (The fourth main character, the new handler, immediately gets it cleared so he can give them fashionable accessories instead. ... It's still unsettling.)

zettai karen children has some issues but it's pretty decent honestly. the red one is the best

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
five minutes into zettai karen children they start joking about how much better it would be if the explicitly pre-teen characters had bigger tits so it'd be hotter when they're molested by snakes

so yes, it definitely has issues

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:catstare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

five minutes into zettai karen children they start joking about how much better it would be if the explicitly pre-teen characters had bigger tits so it'd be hotter when they're molested by snakes

yep! the early stuff sucks a lot!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It 100% sucks but despite my early misgivings, it doesn't sexualize the characters visually - no panty shots, etc - and there's an entire episode about another pre-teen esper discovering that the reason she has trouble controlling her powers is because her handler is a pervert, and she realizes she really wants to punch him and gets to do so at the end of the episode. (It sucks that she doesn't get to get a new handler, but he's constantly getting beaten up for being a pervert, so...)

So it's like. When it's not being gross it's being interesting and/or funny.

I guess what I'm getting at is that anime can be very very frustrating, see also Brigadoon: Marin & Melan.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Vookatos posted:

Asking for recommendations usually ends up being "let me give you a list of anime I liked". That said, let me give you a list of anime I liked.

Moribito-a lady bodyguard adopts a prince
Spice and Wolf-romance and economic theory in a 16th century setting
Kino's Beautiful World-episodic series about a traveler going to different types of societies. Kind of like Gulliver's Travels

If you're up for movies:
Sword of a Stranger-a samurai movie with amazing fights
Tokyo Godfathers-homeless people find a baby on christmas eve

edit: Silver Spoon is a series about a kid who goes to a farming highschool. It's a slice of life and pretty japanese, but it's by the author of FMA and inspired by her growing up in rural Hokkaido.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 25, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vookatos posted:

while it does have boob gags (which seem to be mostly anime-only as I'm reading the manga and it has almost none of it), The Devil Is A Part-Timer might be up your alley. It's a "reverse" isekai series; instead of the standard "human from our world dies and is transported to a fantasy world", it's about the demon lord and hero(and associates) from a fantasy world loving up a teleportation spell and getting stuck in our world without their magic powers and having to make do. The demon lord starts working at mcdonalds and plans for world domination by working his way up the corporate ladder. It's surprisingly funny and the jokes and animation add a lot to the comedic timing, it's a real shame they never made more seasons for it.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I'm looking for shows similar to Liar Game or anything that deals with conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kaiji/Akagi if you haven't already seen them.

For conspiracy theories, Steins;Gate goes into a good amount of that.