Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

La Brea Carpet posted:

My daughter [32/F] is threatening to ban me [54/F] from attending her wedding.

Wow, what an ungrateful kid, after all the work you've done setting her up with this random dude you met at the DMV. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
that entire post reads like what racist white people think native people think

native people have an actually different culture and it doesn't come across exactly like racist white ppl culture w/ the werds switched aroond

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

quote:

She already refused to let me go with her on her bachelorette party after I tried to take control and make the party the way I want it.

lol rude

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Having lived on the rez, this is poo poo that happens. Depending on the tribe and band you belong to, there often is intense pressure to avoid miscegination --- in some cases going so far as to disenroll parents or entire family groups from the tribe for having a daughter that marries outside the band.

Tribes be hosed up political units. In the wods of Professor Fukuyama of Stanford, its the "tyranny of cousins" which reigns supreme in tribal politics.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Beachcomber posted:

I knew this would come in handy

:laffo:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

native people have an actually different culture and it doesn't come across exactly like racist white ppl culture w/ the werds switched aroond
Yeah and also any kids would still be Navajo? Just raise them in the culture. It reads exactly like someone swapping around races bc they think more people will support a Navajo 'ethnostate' and then they can use it as a gotcha.

EDIT: Like it might not be but it sounds like nobody else in the family is supporting the mom even.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Having lived on the rez, this is poo poo that happens. Depending on the tribe and band you belong to, there often is intense pressure to avoid miscegination --- in some cases going so far as to disenroll parents or entire family groups from the tribe for having a daughter that marries outside the band.

Tribes be hosed up political units. In the wods of Professor Fukuyama of Stanford, its the "tyranny of cousins" which reigns supreme in tribal politics.

Way too many prominent Jews think this way, too, unfortunately. See the new Jewish Agency chief. Probably a bit tougher in native societies since there might not be as straightforward a conversion path?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Xenocides posted:

Another episode of “Guess the Fetish” Clue: It is much dumber then whatever you are thinking it is.

The animes are messing up relationships again.
Comment

quote:

Hey, maybe you can combine your stuff with his stuff! Like, do your acts as part of his fantasy.

Oh no there's a fire in your mecha, let me pee on it!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

Pick, you're like the 3olives of the relationship thread: dropping hot takes from the comfort of your airconditioned texas condo.

Go up to Red Lake and see the animosity that exists between members and outsiders. In a way, I'm fortunate to descend from mediteranean and eastern european jews - folk in the northwoods can't place whether I'm white, native, or something else by my skin color, which lets me pass between cultures.

There's also not one 'native culture': you've got 530+ independent political units of varying population size and socioeconomic political development. A Shakopee member probably ain't sharing a Red Lake member's culturally-reinforced hostility towards miscegination.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I think with First Nations cultures there's the problem where there's been a lot of concerted genocide efforts diluting both the ethnicity and the culture so there's a lot of people struggling with how to reclaim that. There was a court case up in my state a few years back where a Native couple on a reservation (I think Ojibwe but don't remember exactly) were going to adopt out their baby but the couple they'd chosen to adopt to was white and definitely didn't live on the reservation, and when the tribal leaders got wind of that they legally contested the adoption using laws that were intended to keep kids from being forcibly taken from their parents and then raised outside the culture. Because that used to happen, a lot! But the parents got understandably pretty upset over their parental right to pick the adoptive parents of their infant being debated because of their race, and things dragged on for so long the baby was born and had to be raised in by a neutral third party for like half a year before things settled. It was pretty hosed up because I get the logic but also, the parents deliberately didn't want their baby to grow up on the reservation because they felt it was a toxic and insular environment that provided them with disadvantages growing up. It wasn't even a matter of culture so much as immediate environment... and I think the moves by the tribal elders to keep the baby on the reservation just kind of proved the point?

EDIT: Like parents adopting their baby out to a white family completely willingly and with full awareness of potential complications is a very different situation than children being forcibly taken from their parents and given to white families.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 20, 2018

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

PetraCore posted:

Yeah and also any kids would still be Navajo? Just raise them in the culture.

How do the blood quantum tribal laws play into that, I wonder? It might not be so cut and dried.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yond Cassius posted:

How do the blood quantum tribal laws play into that, I wonder? It might not be so cut and dried.
Okay, fair enough. I don't actually know poo poo about that so I shouldn't make assumptions. It's just not like a healthy family is going to come out of forcing people together when it's explicitly unwanted.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

My Imaginary GF posted:

Pick, you're like the 3olives of the relationship thread: dropping hot takes from the comfort of your airconditioned texas condo.

Go up to Red Lake and see the animosity that exists between members and outsiders. In a way, I'm fortunate to descend from mediteranean and eastern european jews - folk in the northwoods can't place whether I'm white, native, or something else by my skin color, which lets me pass between cultures.

There's also not one 'native culture': you've got 530+ independent political units of varying population size and socioeconomic political development. A Shakopee member probably ain't sharing a Red Lake member's culturally-reinforced hostility towards miscegination.

lmao I have no interest in dropping how I know about this issue but lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
and it's not that they're more or less accepting per se, it's that the entire framework of the rhetoric is different

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PetraCore posted:

I think with First Nations cultures there's the problem where there's been a lot of concerted genocide efforts diluting both the ethnicity and the culture so there's a lot of people struggling with how to reclaim that.

There was an episode of Weediquette of all things that focused on the ‘dilution’ aspect. You had to have a certain % specifically Paiute to be able to work growing/dispensing. Good money for those that fit the bill, but some were worried for their family members. One man worried for his nephew’s future because the ‘blood quantum laws’ said he wasn’t Paiute enough, IIRC.

The ep was called Pot Powwow
https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/pot-powwow/57d1852d2dd00009023d3284

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
fake imo because there's just too much junk like this

quote:

She already refused to let me go with her on her bachelorette party after I tried to take control and make the party the way I want it.
nobody sees their own POV this way, nobody would use that to describe their own behavior. That's what you say about someone else you don't sympathize with at all, not about yourself.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

My Imaginary GF posted:

A Shakopee member probably ain't sharing a Red Lake member's culturally-reinforced hostility towards miscegination.

The fact that this tribe comes up after the watersports fetish lady is beautiful

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

La Brea Carpet posted:

My daughter [32/F] is threatening to ban me [54/F] from attending her wedding.

That’s bait

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yond Cassius posted:

Like most issues pertaining to Federally-recognized Indian tribes, the answer is usually 'it depends.' I'll have to look at my notes for an article I was writing a couple years back on tribal disenrollment, however, from what I recall off the top of my head, the tl;dr of blood quantum is that its a legacy policy issue which impacts present tribes and individuals in as many ways as there are Federally recognized tribes.

I'll spare the details on how blood quantum developed as policy. Generally, the way blood quantum functions in tribes at present is as follows:

Federally-recognized tribes are required to establish and maintain enrollment policies, regulations, and procedures with the Bureau Indian Affairs (BIA). Under authority delegated by Congress, BIA determines compliance for tribes with Federal law, regulation, policy, and procedure.

Many tribes have a set blood quantum requirement for enrollment. Most tribes with blood quantum requirements for enrollment have established 'enrollment boards' and delegated the authority to determine blood quantum to enrollment boards. These enrollment boards are often constituted of political appointees, most often members of the tribe directly appointed by the Tribal Chair, Tribal Executive Council, or other Tribal chief political position.

Per our Constitution, the Federal government generally 'defers to tribes on matters of internal self-governance', of which internal processes by tribes for enrollment/membership determination is considered paramount by the Federal government for maintenance of a tribe as a sovereign entity, which thereby ensures the tribe's members are regarded as Indians not otherwised taxed.

In the past, Federally recognized tribes which have not maintained blood quantum requirements have been de-recognized by BIA.

In the past, Federally recognized tribes which have attempted to modify their established enrollment policies relating to blood quantum, particularly eliminating blood quantum considerations from tribal enrollment procedures, have lost their Federal recognition.

Who determines blood quantum? Generally, the tribes. Who in the tribes? Most frequently that I've come across from my research, political appointees of the current tribal administration (calling all Federally recognized tribes is even more time-consuming than it sounds).

How do tribes determine blood quantum levels? In accordinance with policies established with the BIA, which quite often maintain the character of those originally registered with BIA under the 1934 Indian Reorganization Act.

What is the human impact of blood quantum? I worked with two sisters, aged Kindergarten and elementry school. They danced semi-professionally on the pow-wow circuit. Their mother was 60% blood quantum enrolled in the band/documented with BIA and their father 0%/was white. Girls were considered 30% blood quantum. Tribe has/had a 25% blood quantum requirement for enrollment.

Girls were culturally native yet perceived as white because of the color of their skin. This created political issues for the tribal government, as a large faction of core tribe families felt the tribe was becoming too 'white' and the sisters were perceived by 'more pure' (read: perceived as racially native) enrolled members of their band as white. The tribal enrollment board, constituted of political appointees, denied the girls enrollment in the tribe, despite their repeated applications year after year. I was seeing the elementry school girl on a weekly basis because she'd began cutting from all the bullying and other identity conflict issues she was going through.

If you really want to see some tyranical racial government policy, look into retroactive determinations of ancestral blood quantums and tribal disenrollments.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

quote:

yeah lol if you think poo poo like this is anything other than low effort bait written by a white racist man

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yond Cassius posted:

PetraCore posted:

Okay, fair enough. I don't actually know poo poo about that so I shouldn't make assumptions. It's just not like a healthy family is going to come out of forcing people together when it's explicitly unwanted.

The other issue, especially in the southwest before the 1923 Indian Citizenship Act, is that slavery was still practiced. Before 1923, if one was neither enrolled in a tribe nor an American citizen, then in effect that individual was a non-person and denied access to recourse against being held in debt peonage or indentured servitude.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

quote:

Girlfriend (21F) heavily burdened by her religion's strict rules, Me (21F) trying to support her while still being respectful to her faith

first off; hi ive never used reddit before so please bare with me trying to figure this out

and then well, to elaborate on the title:
my girlfriend and i have been in a long distance relatonship (we met online) for almost half a year now, everything between us is good, we have great communication despite both coming out of more or less abusive relationships that made us both insecure in maintaining proper contact with someone, but we are doing our best and are both comfortable and happy. even if we have a lot of differences and slightly different views on the world we always find a common ground and respect the others opinions and values.

we also are making vague plans to meet up some time irl since we havent seen each other yet (i know i know, but other gay girls dont grow on trees around here so meeting someone online just. happens more easily)

one of the differences between me and my girlfriend is, is that she is very religious. she is very devoted to the community of her church and her faith and i, while not sharing that same faith, admire and respect that. i try to educate myself about her faith and its history to be more understanding and to be able to talk to her about it without, well, having her explain everything to me.

the problem is that, despite her direct family being fairly accepting of her sexuality, her religion has. a pretty complicated view on it. from what shes explained. homosexuality, or anything that is not heterosexuality really is generally tolerated. the problem is that marriage is pretty much the most important thing for her faith; a marriage between husband and wife ensures the fulfillment of ones existence and also guarantees access to a shared afterlife. this is not possible for gay marriage which will most certainly prompt excommunication. on a more minor note chastity is also an important value and any sexual contact before marriage is prohibited (which i have no problems with) however "gay sex" in general is considered sinful...

my girlfriend is very conscious of these aspects since there is a pretty big pressure on her to enter a heterosexual marriage and find a husband, it causes her alot of distress and even pushed her into depressive episodes.

while she thinks the rules about gay marriage in her church are "stupid" they are still part of her faith which she respects above all. she is incredibly scared about being excommunicated because her churches community is very very important to her.

lately shes been jokingly making references about us getting married or even talking about it on a more serious note. while i think its not really appropriate to talk about marriage just a few months into a relationship (and considering the fact that we havent even met irl yet) i understand that these statements of hers mostly stem from the pressure and anxiety she experiences due to those strict rules. she has even said very desperate things along the lines of her transitioning to live as a man so that she could still have a heterosexual marriage, or suggesting that since i am intersex i could get my gender marker changed to that and maybe that would be a loophole for a marriage without excommunication

i know she doesnt seriously want these things though, it just shows how heavy this burden is on her and it makes me feel very worried and upset for her.

in general the issue isnt putting a strain on our relationship (yet. i fear it could become a problem in the future) but it comes up frequently since its such a big problem for her personally and i mostly just end up watching her struggle while unsuccessfully trying to comfort her

my question or. well. request for advice now is:

how can i help my girlfriend overcome her anxiety and worry over this whole marriage/excommunication thing while still being respectful and mindful of her faith and its values? i recognize that this is probably something she mostly will have to come to terms with herself but i wish to support her as much as i can and was wondering if anyone here had similar experiences or ties to a religion with similar rules? i do not wish to change my girlfriend or her faith, nor to get her to abandon it. i just want her to be happy and comfortable while still being able to keep something that is such a huge part of her.

thank you so much

TLDR: girlfriend is very religious, her religion pressures her to have a heterosexual marriage/get excommunicated if she enters a gay marriage, i want to support and help her with her struggles while still being respectful of her faith

So you are online dating a Mormon who wants one of you to change genders to get around temple marriage rules (which will not work) before you have even met in person?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenocides posted:

So you are online dating a Mormon who wants one of you to change genders to get around temple marriage rules (which will not work) before you have even met in person?

This may sound cold but at 21 you are way too young to waste time on someone who lacks the tools to be happy and faces a false dillemma created by their upbringing.

Now, once youre 40, divorced, and your spirit animal is Pall Malls youll be ready to help someone make a no-win decision of lifelong regret with confidence.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I knew this would come in handy

I lost it at the reveal that he's calvin.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
My sister (37,f) asked me to give my (39,m) childhood toys to her children.

quote:

u/markon22
I had a considerable Lego set as a child and loved it. I’ve saved it, and hauled it from apartment to apartment as an adult with the goal of giving it to my children when they are old enough. I’m getting older, but still single and no children on the way, but I’m not old enough that it’s ridiculous. My sister has asked if I’d be willing to give them away to her children. And I would! But I’d rather save them for my future children. I don’t know what to say. I love my niece and nephew, but I want these to be for my own children.

TL;DR my sister has asked me to give her children something I’ve been saving for my own children.

Denial is a river in Egypt.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

quote:

I [27f] despise being a mother and wish I would have given them up for adoption. No one knows and I hate myself for it.Personal issues

I’m a mother of two adorable, great kids. I love them dearly. I would be absolutely devastated if something happened to them. That being said... I’m an awful person and mother because I HATE being one. I wish I never would have had children. With the first I didn’t know I would feel like this, and when I found out I was pregnant with the second one I was two far along to in good conscious get an abortion ( I was using protection. I was the 1% that got pregnant anyway. Which is why I found out so late, I didn’t even worry or think it was possible. Just thought I was gaining weight.with the first I was just stupid and didn’t bother with protection). Somehow I thought I’d be okay though.

I know it is not my children’s fault I hate being a mother, they are my responsibility whether I want them to be or not. I will never tell them I feel this way and do my best to make sure they have a good childhood and feel wanted and loved. But when they go to bed... I cry quietly in my room. I hate it so much. I hate not getting to do the things I want, I hate not being able to go out and dance if I want, or go somewhere along. I hate feeling guilty about working a lot because that means they don’t see me, but then stressing if I don’t work because we are so broke and I’m the only income since their dad left.

I wish it was just me. It can’t be. But I hate myself for hating motherhood and feel so incredibly selfish for wishing I’d given them up. I ALWAYS hear parents talk about how they are so glad their child was born and how they wouldn’t change it no matter what, they make their lives better, etc, and I say the same thing because I don’t want my kids to EVER be traumatized by my selfishness... but I don’t feel that way. If I could go back I wouldn’t have them.

I’m an awful person.

Tl;dr: try to be a good mom so kids don’t ever know my true feelings and grow up with trauma, but internally despise being a mother and wish I’d never had them. Hate it so much I cry myself to sleep quietly after they go to bed. Am an awful person, obviously.

This is tough, women can go through this even with a partner there to support them, must be so much worse if you are a single mom.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Shnag posted:

This is tough, women can go through this even with a partner there to support them, must be so much worse if you are a single mom.

There should be a series of PSAs for young women about why they shouldn't let garbage people stick their dicks in them.

"Sure, he may drive a tricked out El Camino, but do you want to be raising this rear end in a top hat's kids at 23 when he's moved on to the next dumb as poo poo teenager?"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shnag posted:

I used to love dating single moms when I was younger, especially ones that I could tell wished they still had the freedoms of not having had kids. They always put so much effort into the relationship.

Freaks ya out tho when they tell you how much they love you and how awesome you are after your first PIV lay.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Like most issues pertaining to Federally-recognized Indian tribes, the answer is usually 'it depends.' I'll have to look at my notes for an article I was writing a couple years back on tribal disenrollment, however, from what I recall off the top of my head, the tl;dr of blood quantum is that its a legacy policy issue which impacts present tribes and individuals in as many ways as there are Federally recognized tribes.

I'll spare the details on how blood quantum developed as policy. Generally, the way blood quantum functions in tribes at present is as follows:

Federally-recognized tribes are required to establish and maintain enrollment policies, regulations, and procedures with the Bureau Indian Affairs (BIA). Under authority delegated by Congress, BIA determines compliance for tribes with Federal law, regulation, policy, and procedure.

Many tribes have a set blood quantum requirement for enrollment. Most tribes with blood quantum requirements for enrollment have established 'enrollment boards' and delegated the authority to determine blood quantum to enrollment boards. These enrollment boards are often constituted of political appointees, most often members of the tribe directly appointed by the Tribal Chair, Tribal Executive Council, or other Tribal chief political position.

Per our Constitution, the Federal government generally 'defers to tribes on matters of internal self-governance', of which internal processes by tribes for enrollment/membership determination is considered paramount by the Federal government for maintenance of a tribe as a sovereign entity, which thereby ensures the tribe's members are regarded as Indians not otherwised taxed.

In the past, Federally recognized tribes which have not maintained blood quantum requirements have been de-recognized by BIA.

In the past, Federally recognized tribes which have attempted to modify their established enrollment policies relating to blood quantum, particularly eliminating blood quantum considerations from tribal enrollment procedures, have lost their Federal recognition.

Who determines blood quantum? Generally, the tribes. Who in the tribes? Most frequently that I've come across from my research, political appointees of the current tribal administration (calling all Federally recognized tribes is even more time-consuming than it sounds).

How do tribes determine blood quantum levels? In accordinance with policies established with the BIA, which quite often maintain the character of those originally registered with BIA under the 1934 Indian Reorganization Act.

What is the human impact of blood quantum? I worked with two sisters, aged Kindergarten and elementry school. They danced semi-professionally on the pow-wow circuit. Their mother was 60% blood quantum enrolled in the band/documented with BIA and their father 0%/was white. Girls were considered 30% blood quantum. Tribe has/had a 25% blood quantum requirement for enrollment.

Girls were culturally native yet perceived as white because of the color of their skin. This created political issues for the tribal government, as a large faction of core tribe families felt the tribe was becoming too 'white' and the sisters were perceived by 'more pure' (read: perceived as racially native) enrolled members of their band as white. The tribal enrollment board, constituted of political appointees, denied the girls enrollment in the tribe, despite their repeated applications year after year. I was seeing the elementry school girl on a weekly basis because she'd began cutting from all the bullying and other identity conflict issues she was going through.

If you really want to see some tyranical racial government policy, look into retroactive determinations of ancestral blood quantums and tribal disenrollments.

You know, I realize Native Americans have had a rough go at it in the past with regards to people trying to forcibly convert their culture, but those are some straight up 1930s Germany racial policies. If they think these girls can't be part of their culture because of their skin color they're some hosed up racists.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

quote:

My [26/f] partner [39/m] is in a psychiatric hospital. I feel guilty, confused, heartbroken. Don't know what to do]My spouse (we legalized our relationship literally 3 weeks ago) has been unstable for years. He has bipolar disorder and has been on and off of his medication for a long time. Drinking heavily, not taking it seriously, and basically not looking after himself.

We (myself and his family) have been so patient with him. When he had his angry manic episodes we didn't know what to do other than wait for him to calm down and get back to some sort of normal.

But his "normal" wasn't normal, which we are realizing now.

He drank nonstop, had paranoid delusions that we believed for years about each other until we recently started discussing them, etc.

Well, about a week ago, things got a thousand times worse. He became more manic than he's ever been. Not eating, not sleeping, angry, spending thousands of dollars, etc. He called me and was out of his mind. He threatened me, threatened my family, etc. I had to go to a hotel. I called his sister and eventually came to her home.

I was in his sister's home for 3 or 4 days trying to wait it out, trying to talk some sense into to my SO. Trying to wait it out.

But my SO just kept getting worse and worse. On Wednesday last week he went to his friends home for band practice and drank a lot, I suppose. He ended up not going home that night and staying out all night. Sending crazy text messages, pictures of him where he looked... crazy. It was shocking.

At this point we didn't know what to do. We needed to get him to just go home and sleep.

But the next day he didn't go home. He went to another city. It was impossible to even communicate with him because he kept turning his phone off and on.

We sat there for days, in his sister's home, trying to figure out what to do. It had been days without him sleeping. Days wandering around different cities.

And the most important part of all: he has a 7 year old daughter. The mom has custody but he has a lot of visitation time. She was supposed to come stay with him (us) for a week starting on the 21st. We knew we HAD to get him home and better before she came, because otherwise obviously she couldn't go there.

So we're all freaking out, can't even locate him, can't talk to him. We're considering going to the city he's (maybe) in and walking around looking for him in bars. We're considering calling the police. We're considering calling the ex-wife to tell her to not bring the daughter, etc.

We eventually decided we needed to call him an ambulance, and he needed to go to the hospital. But the problem was that we didn't know which city he was in.

That night he called me at 1 AM, after surely a week of not sleeping. He was delusional. Paranoid. Panicking. He thought his family was spying on him. He was terrified. Thought I was his sister pretending to be me (You aren't really you, prove it, tell me something only you know), told me he left clues in the apartment, etc. It was one of the most terrifying and heartbreaking moments of my life.

The next morning he called me from the home-phone and we knew where he was. So we called an ambulance and the police. It took over an hour and a half to get him to go to the hospital because he refused. He was so sick.

We spent 15 hours in the emergency room with my SO strapped to the bed so he wouldn't escape. They gave him multiple tranquilizers in his leg, pills, etc, but they barely slowed him down. He just kept going, like a machine.

I noticed that his feet were black with dirt and he'd been walking and walking for days.

Eventually, after talking to the psychiatrists, we decided he needed to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital because if he came home, we wouldn't be able to control him.

Luckily, by this point he signed the paper and self-admitted to the psych ward.

I went home and saw so many shocking things... there were scratch marks on the inside of the front door. As if he stood there for an hour just scraping it with a knife. There was a bag of literal trash from the beach that I guess he left as a clue. On the terrace there were "clues" like a pile of random objects (an unopened beer can, a head of garlic, a pencil, and a broom).

It was terrifying. I still haven't been able to sleep at home even though I know he's locked in a psychiatric hospital.

We try to visit him every day in the psychiatric hospital but it's so hard. He has moments of being himself but then he gets angry and delusional and talks about how his father had a secret room in their home growing up so he could control him. About how he was only "a bit stressed out and trying to relax and you throw me in here to punish me." Last night he used his one phone call per day to call at 9 PM, just to yell at us and be abusive. He's sick, we know, but it's becoming traumatic.

We also have a solid plan for what to do when he gets out:

No alcohol ever again, not even a sip.

Take your meds every day at the same time.

See a psychiatrist at least once every 2 months

Have routines (eat at lunch time, sleep at night time)

I'm just really heartbroken. I don't know what to do. I don't know how I'll ever feel safe at home again even if he does get better.

On one hand, this could be really beneficial for him because he can become truly stable and healthy for the first time in a very long time, with everyone coming together to make sure he stays on track.

On the other hand, I can't concentrate on my job. I can't sleep. I'm scared of him. I'm scared of my home.

I don't even know what I'm asking here. I guess just some general advice, if anyone has gone through something like this.

tl;dr my SO has bipolar disorder and after an extreme manic episode, he had to go to a psychiatric hospital. I am torn up.
Well he's 13 years older and going to murder me one day. I'm sure making him stop drinking and be on his meds is something I can handle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darkhold posted:

Well he's 13 years older and going to murder me one day. I'm sure making him stop drinking and be on his meds is something I can handle.

:stare:

Isn't this one of those circumstances where you can annul a marriage? Just go to whoever officiated and show them some kind of psych eval, leave and never ever look back.

One thing that stuck out was that he was expecting to host his daughter from a previous marriage, and her issue wasn't that it was unsafe for her, but how they needed to settle him down, rather than warn the ex!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Philonius posted:

You know, I realize Native Americans have had a rough go at it in the past with regards to people trying to forcibly convert their culture, but those are some straight up 1930s Germany racial policies. If they think these girls can't be part of their culture because of their skin color they're some hosed up racists.

It could be worse. Those girls could have been enrolled members of the tribe; a family switches allegiances and a new factional majority on the tribal council is elected; the swing kingroup has a dislike for the girls and sends an anonymous letter to the enrollment committee questioning their blood quantum; the newly appointed members of the enrollment board send a letter alerting the girls that their eligability for enrollment is under scrutinization and they are required to submit acceptable documentation and appear before the enrollment committee.

Enrollment committees, having been delegated broad authority, may often have the power of interpretation over documentation. So if you submit documentation that shows you meet the eligability requirements, the enrollment committee often has the authority to be all 'Truth isn't truth' and determine that the 2+2=5 so therefore you fail to pass muster and are disenrolled.

This often occurs when there are direct political or financial stakes from enrollment/disenrollment in a tribe. Tribal governance be hosed up, yo. Republicans shout about how much they want no taxes and how much government bureaucrats overreach - you wanna see the form of government that'd be achieved without a deep state and no taxes, look no further than tribes.

Sounds hyperbolic? Think again! I've interviewed folk in that piece, sovereignty without responsibility and incentives for exclusionary politics is poo poo.

e:grammar

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 20, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Way too many prominent Jews think this way, too, unfortunately. See the new Jewish Agency chief. Probably a bit tougher in native societies since there might not be as straightforward a conversion path?

The weirdest thing about this kind of stuff is that I'm pretty sure the majority of Jews I know are half-breeds of one sort or other anyway (notably including myself)

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
My (21F) ex (21M) made me feel like my body count lessened my value and worth and I don’t know how to deal with these feelings of worthlessness and fear of never finding someone who’d want to be with me because of it

quote:

Throwaway because this is kind of embarrassing for me.

My (21F) now ex (21M) always had a huge problem with the amount of people I’d slept with before him, and the fact that it was more people than he had been with. We started seeing each other almost a year ago, and while we both didn’t sleep with anyone else in that time, it wasn’t until 5-6 months in that he finally agreed to be in an official relationship. He found out my body count a couple of months after we started officially dating. Over the course of months after he had found out how many people I’d been with, he would call me a slut and say how difficult it was to be with a girl like me and how he needed to “even the score”. I eventually agreed to an open relationship so he would feel better, because of course I love him and wanted to be with him (I promise there are many wonderful things about him as well). However, the way he went about it culminated in him essentially cheating on me, which he acknowledged was the case. I took him back (o woe is me), but shortly after the recommencement of our relationship, the accusations and shaming began again. He would use articles and ideas about traditional gender roles to justify his telling me that no real man, no man like him, no attractive, intelligent, or “dominant” man, would ever want to be with a girl like me who’d slept with so many people (16 including him) when they could get anyone they wanted. He eventually ended it a few days ago because he said he needs to sleep with other people and that he “never hosed with the body count” and that he can “get tens” and likes “banging pure clean uncluttered pussy” (please don’t judge me for dating him).

I’ve always thought very progressively about sex, and have never felt insecure or had an issue with my past sexual decisions before him. I feel the complete opposite now. So many times he told me these things, and now I am so afraid that no man I’d ever want to be with would want me or take me seriously because of my past. I feel less worthy, less valuable. I am so ashamed that I’ve internalized this, because I don’t view any other person, male or female, as less because of the number of partners they have had. But now I view myself as less, and I’m so worried about the future.

So that brings me to my question: Is sixteen too many people for me to be worthy of the kind of person he said would never want me? Is that something that makes a woman undesirable even if she had everything else you’re looking for? In other words, is it a dealbreaker? Either way, how should I approach my feelings on this and this topic in future relationships? I’m at the point where I’m over having casual sex and I’ve gotten it out of my system, so to speak, but I’m afraid it’s too late. Please feel free to be completely honest. So sorry for the rambling, this just stresses me out and I ramble when I’m stressed.

TLDR: Ex boyfriend shamed me for my sexual past, now I feel unworthy of anyone I may want to be with in the future. Is a body count that is “too high”, or one like mine, a complete dealbreaker? Whether it is or isn’t, how do I cope with these feelings of shame and insecurity? Am I supposed to lie in future relationships now?

Mods namechange to unculttered pussy plz

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

La Brea Carpet posted:

My (21F) ex (21M) made me feel like my body count lessened my value and worth and I don’t know how to deal with these feelings of worthlessness and fear of never finding someone who’d want to be with me because of it

Mods namechange to unculttered pussy plz

Nobody of any merit cares how many past partners you had. But I will judge you on dating this idiot, OP. Because that was a bad call.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

just clean out the change and old receipts in there!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nobody of any merit cares how many past partners you had. But I will judge you on dating this idiot, OP. Because that was a bad call.

She didnt just date him; she agreed to an open relationship, he still managed to cheat on her, admitted it, then she took him back. The 36 year old creeps of reddit assuredly are in a race currently to track her down.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

quote:

Me (20m) and my girlfriend (20f) have been dating for over a year and haven't had sex. Am I a dick for wanting to break up with her over it?

I just want to apologize in advance if this post devolves into incoherent rambling.

Ok, so my girlfriend and I have been going out for over a year. Our relationship is really great, I love her to pieces. The problem is, over the past year and handful of months, we haven't had sex. We have never done anything remotely sexual except make out. I have never even seen her naked.

I have talked to her about this before. She told me that she just doesn't have any sexual drive at all. And that's fine and all, it's just that I have an incredibly high sex drive. Not to play into some douchey college stereotype but... I'm young, you know? I want to be having fun crazy sex with someone I love. And I don't get anything intimate from her. I absolutely don't blame her, it's not like she asked to have no libido or anything, but the problem is still there.

What makes it worse is I just transferred schools, so now we're doing long distance, which I'm really not sure is a good idea. It kind of feels like I've put on a metaphorical chastity belt.

What do I do, Reddit? I love this girl, but I've talked with her about this a couple time and she doesn't think it's a big deal. It's absolutely a big deal to me, but she doesn't seem to see that. It's not really even about sex anymore, it's about making love, being physically intimate with this girl I'm in love with and deepening our relationship. But it just doesn't happen, and it kind of feels like our relationship has just been stagnant. Am I in the wrong for wanting to break up for this reason?

tldr: girlfriend has no sex drive/libido, doesn't think it's a big deal. We haven't done anything remotely sexual in the year we've been together, pretty sure I'm sexually frustrated. I still love her, but I want to break up with her over this.

Most people would call that a friendship. Have you considered marrying her in hopes it will jump start her libido?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I do some work with the Lakota community and I have absolutely no idea which people are considered insiders or outsiders. They've politely explained it to me several times now, and it's just totally impenetrable to me - I'm a light skinned Argentine Israeli American, so pretty used to hopping in between cultures. It seems like some people can be official members of the tribe but still be considered outsiders, and then there are some actual outsiders (a white woman who married a Lakota man and moved to the rez and stayed when her husband passed away) who are considered insiders for some purposes. But I probably didn't totally grasp it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Most people would call that a friendship. Have you considered marrying her in hopes it will jump start her libido?

Youre doing a sexless long distance relationship at 20, your brain is just as broken as hers