Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Japanese hostess clubs but for a demographic that has no money, great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Platystemon posted:

Helmets can save a person’s noggin even in situations that don’t involve motor vehicles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We have literally zero accounts from murder victims.

I guess we’ll never know if murder is bad.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
that hooters take is extremely loving dire all around

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

that hooters take is extremely loving dire all around

doomsday economics. we all just wanna feel wanted and appreciated

isolated and in poverty i sunk to such depravity. I somehow wound up rich and with friends and it fucks me up just what a whiplash this has been. all we can really do is make one another stronger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taintrunner posted:

doomsday economics. we all just wanna feel wanted and appreciated

isolated and in poverty i sunk to such depravity. I somehow wound up rich and with friends and it fucks me up just what a whiplash this has been. all we can really do is make one another stronger.

weirdly related to the argument in the incel thread that incels are just the most obvious and festering manifestation of brutal millennial alienation and social atomisation, because of the end of personal stability and erosion or replacement of communities and kinship structures that don't involve spending money, making money, or spreading hate.

No point getting to know your neighbours, because everyone's moving as soon as the landlord kicks them out or they change jobs. No point getting to know your co-workers, because you'll leave them all behind when you change jobs to get a raise. Leaving them with the internet providing a thousand communities willing to fill your brain with poison and set you against other people over dumb poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah unironically the internet is probably counter to class consciousness because it reinforces the belief that there are barriers between you and others in daily life

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i design roads and love being able to influence the projects i work on into being more bicycle and pedestrian-friendly and let me tell you that bicycle advocates are The Worst

being able to design bicycle facilities is a big part of why i became an engineer and the opportunity to do so strongly motivated my decision to take a job at my current firm and honestly i could not be more sympathetic and they are still almost always just the craziest fuckin people

last year a buncha them came to a public meeting about one of our projects that included entirely closing off part of a street to turn it into a mixed ped/bike path, to link it up to this larger bike path network that has lotsa big overcrossing structures to get them over the highways

anyway a big part of the project was also widening an arterial road to allow us to squeeze bike lanes through it which was difficult since it’s also covered in bus stops, and they were super pissed that we weren’t just killing half the lanes of this roadway (and the bus stops) to make a segregated bike trail there

fuckin bike people i swear

when you relegate an entire mode of transportation to a subculture it naturally follows that they're all gonna turn into bike otaku

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

wanna know what kind of chores a three year old has

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

SpaceGoku posted:

I can fully believe that the sort of parent who gives their 3 year old chores is scary.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
your tiny hands are the only ones that can fit in there and clean out the garbage disposal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRey/status/1031274120137203712

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

[vibration intensifies]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1031510986455441409

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lana del Rey is one of the dumbest humans alive.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Commas: they're good!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!

only if she's opening for dethklok

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yesterday I was talking to a goon friend of mine over takes on Portuguese papers and he suggested that I translate one or two. This one particularly sticks to my mind despite the magazine where it was published disappearing in 2016 and the writer for it transforming overnight from Right Wing Feminist Hillary Clinton Stan to Wine Mom:

In April 2015, a Kenyan University was attacked by an Al-Qaeda backed Somali Jihadist group, resulting in the death of 200 students. The response was quick and understandable, many mourning their deceased loved ones and making allusions of the Charlie Hebdo attack a few months before. "Well that makes sense, you wonder", but Carla Hilário Quevedo, one of the most notorious right wing bloggers in Portugal, permanent position in several talk shows, writer of a book about Women of Rome that assumes that Nero successfully managed to obscure everything bad he ever did right into his Mom's laps on the general history of antiquity, has a slightly different position, which for some reason saved to her blog, and on which I'll provide a translation:

quote:

There is a new profession of the days of today: The Police of Outrage. Its measure and method was the terrorist attack to the satirical paper Charlie Hebdo, which resulted in the death of 12 people. Right after the attack, a new pro free speech slogan has shown up: "Je Suis Charlie", shared on social networks by many who had solidarity with the victims and with a lifestyle that condemns violence as a response to insult. From then on, any time there's a massacre, these policemen have shown up reclaim for their dose of outrage they think any terrible occurrence requires. I wonder what to these people pretend to want: Are they minimizing the Charlie Hebdo attack? And why is it that they reclaim for themselves a special right to demand whoever's nearby to get outraged in equal tone to the worst that happens in the world? Who gave them that right? And since when does outrage have a moral value? Some people just want to make their own lives impossible. And to others too.

That lovely piece of writing, if you saw her snap hard at people doing Je Suis Kenya things, meant that she spent a whole week steaming angrily at it, didn't reconsider and decided to submit that thing to the editor without anyone going "Why are you informing us you're mad at mourning kenyans of all things".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

the statues don’t even have anything to do with trans identity or LGBT rights at all as far as I know; the protesters just wanted to put their stickers somewhere super visible

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SpaceGoku posted:

idk about "chores" per se for a 3-year old but smdh if you dont involve your kid in the housework from the earliest possible age so it becomes a natural part of their life that you do your dishes etc

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SpaceGoku posted:

Putting your toys back in the toybox when you're done playing and putting your dishes in the sink/dishwasher when you're done eating seem reasonable for a three year old, but I wouldn't really call them chores.
There was a big stupid argument over this in the Traffic Engineer thread in A/T. It lasted several pages.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
We've nearly had threads gassed in D&D AusPol because of helmets versus mah rights to get brain damage.

It's an argument that's spanned years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SpaceGoku posted:

I mean for non-broke brains the “chores” are probably stuff like “put your toys back in their place”. but for that guy I’m sure he is making up the whole situation because his life as a click-bait writer is vacuous and full of regret.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
children were sold to chimneysweeps as apprentices as young as 4

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We've nearly had threads gassed in D&D AusPol because of helmets versus mah rights to get brain damage.

It's an argument that's spanned years.
bikes are good, bike culture is weird and bad

also, the solution to this problem is to post here. welcome

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1031491873972649984

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It is a little-known fact that measuring one's weight in stone was a death penalty offense in revolutionary france, the soviet union, and germany from 1932-1945

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

fuckin' jabronis arguing about bike culture instead of reading hot takes translated :negative:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/stanislavski666/status/1031477727780655104

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jesus loving Christ

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We shouldn’t be so hard on her.

Maybe she already has brain damage from riding without a helmet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/onlineandnice/s...ingawful.com%2F

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

owned

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SASS still mad.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:popeye:
lol is this Iron Crowned?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

gizmodo-affiliate website comment sections are the worst. you can't even find good comments in Why Your Team Sucks entries anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/twinkpiece/status/1031551780579098624?s=19