Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Management posted:

the fact that you can like songs on Spotify in some modes but not in others is maddening.

I think the idea is you can do it for radio mode so it will make the station cater to your tastes, but it does not actually work as far as I can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

skull mask mcgee posted:

bring back rdio

Rdio's UI was terrible and super slow.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

qirex posted:

why are the uis so bad on all of these

is tidal any better? at least they have an apple tv app

UIs are hard to do, cost a lot of money and having a bad one is not usually a barrier to success. It's the perfect storm of "No one gives a gently caress"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

the fact that you can like songs on Spotify in some modes but not in others is maddening.

i like the way every version of spotify (desktop/mobile/firetv/appletv) has a completely different ui and i can't find a goddamned thing when switching between them

it's like where's waldo for music

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i like the way every version of spotify (desktop/mobile/firetv/appletv) has a completely different ui and i can't find a goddamned thing when switching between them

it's like where's waldo for music

I like that they started years ago where you had a primary playlist called your starred playlist that had two taps to add a song to. then they changed starred playlist to just a regular playlist it takes 30 taps to add a song to.

but now it’s only one button to “save” something

but there’s no easy way to “save” your whole starred playlist

also “save” is different from download

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
record companies require you to make the user experience no better than a CD player if you want a license to their music

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yet every single Spotify UI is better than Apple "we don't bother to distinguish between singles and albums" Music

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

ShadowHawk posted:

record companies require you to make the user experience no better than a CD player if you want a license to their music

Having heard what I've head about record company licenses, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is true.

Like literally the actual reason youtube background play only works in some countries and only if you pay is because of record companies.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

yet every single Spotify UI is better than Apple "we don't bother to distinguish between singles and albums" Music

every single UI is better than apple music

i tried apple music for the 3 months free and it was awful

the context menu items for "Play Next" and "Play Later" would disappear and you had to force quit the app to get them back
about 4 minutes into a listening session, sound would stop but it looked like it was still playing and you had to force quit
it's not possible to get it to recommend music to you that isn't top 40

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gpms ui isnt that bad given what its supposed to do but its one of those things that you can easily say it should be better but as soon as you try to think of specific ways to do that you realize that there are so many features and so many different things it is for different people that you realize theres just no way to do it cleanly

and ofc since google cant iterate its a situation of it being what it is in perpetuity which only amplifies annoyances

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

imo there should be multiple front-ends for the music services given the many, many different ways people listen to music but that would mean compromising ~*the brand experience*~ so they just ruthlessly optimize towards a lovely shuffled playlist middle ground instead

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

qirex posted:

imo there should be multiple front-ends for the music services given the many, many different ways people listen to music but that would mean compromising ~*the brand experience*~ so they just ruthlessly optimize towards a lovely shuffled playlist middle ground instead

providing an api would allow turbonerds to scratch their own itches in that regard but that would require google et al to actually commit to something and stick to it for at least a few months at a time.

also if its like most apis, it'll be different from what they actually use for the official app and only support an incredibly limited set of operations because nobody wanted to do it and they just told the summer intern to throw something together.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
microsoft wanted to consolidate the user experience for services behind hubs but brands didn't like it because it made them all equally functional.

also they don't create public apis because they don't want 3rd party clients. both because of MY BRAND and because they're lazy and do poo poo like ads client side.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

microsoft wanted to consolidate the user experience for services behind hubs but brands didn't like it because it made them all equally functional.

yeah, equally functional to the Microsoft music service du jour that would be abandoned within six months because Microsoft is the model for google in that regard

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

thats not entirely fair its far more true to point out that you cant sort any list of any kind anywhere at all. do you have a playlist? its in the order you made it and thats it

there arent even headers to tell you what the fields are so at least theres not the ui confusion where the user could click on it and wonder why it doesnt sort by that heading like every list on a computer has done for the last thirty years so i guess they dodged that bullet

jfc

guess I'll be switching to spotify once the hammer comes down on gpm??

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah, equally functional to the Microsoft music service du jour that would be abandoned within six months because Microsoft is the model for google in that regard

google is much dumber than 90’s Microsoft. Microsoft at least had a bad strategy, google has no strategy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

deezer's ui remains excellent but their shuffling is garbo

More like deezer nuts, ammirite?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pham Nuwen posted:

providing an api would allow turbonerds to scratch their own itches in that regard but that would require google et al to actually commit to something and stick to it for at least a few months at a time.

also if its like most apis, it'll be different from what they actually use for the official app and only support an incredibly limited set of operations because nobody wanted to do it and they just told the summer intern to throw something together.

if anyone brought winamp back from the dead as an open source front end to their music api backend i think i'd die

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

You could never have an music streaming service API for open source clients because the record companies would just see it as "PIRATE SONGS HERE" and refuse to do business with any service that had one.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
whenever i have an incognito tab in chrome go to google.com or the page to a search result, it sets the zoom to 67%. i don't know why it does this, both because incognito mode shouldn't be pulling settings from outside of incognito mode, and because incognito mode shouldn't save settings like zoom after you close all the incognito mode windows.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's because google and therefore chrome are bad, op

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
can't argue with that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mrmcd posted:

You could never have an music streaming service API for open source clients because the record companies would just see it as "PIRATE SONGS HERE" and refuse to do business with any service that had one.

oh yeah it'll absolutely never happen but i can dream

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

spotify used to have an api

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

fart simpson posted:

spotify used to have an api

yeah I remember using some 3rd party linux client for it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mrmcd posted:

it could work if you had like 3 drm’d to hell devices tied to your account and the API was just play song x on device y

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Perplx posted:

it could work if you had like 3 drm’d to hell devices tied to your account and the API was just play song x on device y

spotify offers exactly this if you want it

https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/guides/using-connect-web-api/

mrmcd posted:

the non-connect api requires the weird browser drm poo poo no one exter turns on

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

spotify offers exactly this if you want it

https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/guides/using-connect-web-api/

the non-connect api requires the weird browser drm poo poo no one exter turns on

Not to be all fishmech about it, but at first glance this seems to be more accurately described as a "build your own remote control app" API.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

went to clean up my ridiculous "watch later" playlist on youtube and smdh you apparently cant move multiple videos from one playlist to another.

you can however move an entire playlist to another playlist which is incredibly useful... NOT :bravo:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 23, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
also you can't delete videos from watch later on tv, so if you start at the bottom it's this ridiculous thing where you keep having to navigate and do poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cocoa Crispies posted:

also you can't delete videos from watch later on tv, so if you start at the bottom it's this ridiculous thing where you keep having to navigate and do poo poo

Sorry about your bad device

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
man i hate nonstandard unicode character TV!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

why are the uis so bad on all of these

is tidal any better? at least they have an apple tv app

because after redoing the ui for the 5th time from scratch, why bother. fewer features to reimplement on the 6th go

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
looks like google's chrome remote desktop app is going to be in a browser tab again https://remotedesktop.google.com/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://twitter.com/directhex/status/1035331524760035328

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hahahah gently caress

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why would you expect any of these primitive "assistants" to be of any help in a "what to do when I'm sick" situation? Best case, it'll pull some remedies from some quack website and parse it incorrectly.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lambert posted:

Why would you expect any of these primitive "assistants" to be of any help

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the boer's lament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

is this the ai which will make every white collar worker redundant and topple modern society

• Locked thread