Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I... seem to have misremembered.

Maybe I quit because I heard ‘it’s almost SCARY how good I am’ too many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Getsuya posted:

I... seem to have misremembered.

Maybe I quit because I heard ‘it’s almost SCARY how good I am’ too many times.

It’s fair it’s kind of an afterthought in the game. You don’t actually see any real consequences for anything you do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the principal that causes like half the poo poo that goes down in the game didnt even have a name in the japanese version

and SIU Director still doesnt have one even though he has more lines than haru. It's not like having names would make those characters any more engaging but it's really telling that they couldn't even come up with a random old japanese dude name for either of them. and if they were going for a 'there are nameless, faceless oppressors inherent in the system' angle i dont think just two random guys really get that across

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What? That isn't what happened at all though. He announced his crimes in front of everyone and had to suffer the consequences of the legal system. He wasn't made comatose or anything.

The entire point of what they do is they have destroyed their targets ego and self-delusions, leaving the poor bastard to realize just how truly hosed up they are. It's why their targets all go running to the cops to enthusiastically confess on their own initiative.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The only things that bothered me in the plot in Persona 5 were:

- The CEO who worked his employees to death wasn't seen in that negative of a light. The game barely makes it look like he did anything bad.

- That the creepy art kid stayed in the house with the forger adopted painter. It was so strange even in a Stockholm Syndrome kind of way.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've seen so many discussions in this thread about p5's writing and the conservative old men behind it that I'm good with not playing it, so i guess i like p4 better by default even though it's full of problems too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Looper posted:

I've seen so many discussions in this thread about p5's writing and the conservative old men behind it that I'm good with not playing it, so i guess i like p4 better by default even though it's full of problems too

4 suffers from the same problems though.

It’s only different in that the main plot of 4 is so simple it masks it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still helluva enjoyed my time in P5, even if I had various criticisms about it. Short-term after finishing it I started to really miss not being able to run around in its world. I continue to hope and want for Persona games to come out because those games still continue to fill that socialization niche in a way not too many others have.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

P3P was the last good persona story tbh

i like a lot about P4 and P5, especially the gameplay improvements, but their writing is deeply flawed and often extremely uncomfortable. im still looking forward to getting P6 with a new director in 10 years

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

4 suffers from the same problems though.

It’s only different in that the main plot of 4 is so simple it masks it

i played p4 back when everybody i talked to couldn't stop gushing about how incredible it was

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

P5 has a lot of writing issues, but it's also the only 2017 JRPG I've actually beaten, so

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm glad that people realized that P3 is the best persona in terms of story. Now Iet's see if I can get people to see that Yukari's attitude in the answer is 100% realistic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dmboogie posted:

P3P was the last good persona story tbh

Low bar if Stregga is considered good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Come to think of it, I think P5 might be the only 2017 jrpg I even booted up.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I want to see a personal game that takes P5's cast theme of outcasts but has the actually outcasts. Like have the main character be homeless and instead of going to highschool in his Stylish School Uniform he avoids cops, finds trash to recycle,and tries to decide if going to the homeless shelter where there's heat is worth getting his shoes stolen if he sleeps too heavily.

your first social link is a librarian you befriend while using library wifi to find a job that will hire you despite not having an address

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Motto posted:

Come to think of it, I think P5 might be the only 2017 jrpg I even booted up.

Play Berseria

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tae posted:

Low bar if Stregga is considered good

p3p has weird pacing and plot threads that don't really go anywhere, but it's got a central theme it sticks to and the party members have meaningful development outside of their social links

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

dmboogie posted:

p3p has weird pacing and plot threads that don't really go anywhere, but it's got a central theme it sticks to and the party members have meaningful development outside of their social links

What this tells me is maybe persona isn’t well written.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Persona 2 is

Shame about the rest

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

morgana is literally just teddie but he gets in the way of the game more

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
persona 4 is a game that's really fun and energetic on the surface but the further in you get the more you get to see how the game is entirely willing to bring up the vague potential of interesting character conflicts and then just kind of. do literally nothing with them afterwards because the writers don't actually have any thoughts on those things to explore. and every character just kind of turns to cardboard after their big arc because they're incapable of developing any further at all and the party's interactions with each other never change in any meaningful way beyond those initial introductions partially thanks to them entrusting entire character arcs to social links when they shouldn't but also because the writers very clearly only know how to do like one or two things with each character in any scene which leads to the game constantly repeating a lot of weird and unfunny gags and it's just really weird and frustrating in general

based on what i've heard about persona 5 i do not think i would like it more

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Chain of Memories is a bad game and I hate it. I’m so close to finishing Riku’s story but it’s so frustrating. I get that they’re trying to challenge me by doing stuff like only giving me 9 cards, none of which are higher than 5, but challenge should be fun. Making it so 9/10ths of my attacks don’t work isn’t fun.

Putting me against a boss that can stunlock me to death isn’t fun.

This game isn’t fun.

Yes I know the answer is to stop playing but this is the one part of the KH storyline I haven’t seen and the nerd in me refuses to accept that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want a persona where you are the teachers and you have to navigate school politics and the music teacher is holding your theater production hostage because she is the only one who can play the piano but keeps wanting to change things in your production and then you complain about this to your students and 5 years in the future they use it as material for a bad joke on something awful dot com

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 20, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I want a persona where you are the teachers and you have to navigate school politics and the music teacher is holding your theater hostage because she is the only one who can play the piano but keeps wanting to change things in your production and then you complain about this to your students and 5 years in the future they use it as material for a bad joke on something awful dot com

Japanse games can only star adults if they are specifically made for American audiences sry

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I want a persona where you are the teachers and you have to navigate school politics and the music teacher is holding your theater hostage because she is the only one who can play the piano but keeps wanting to change things in your production and then you complain about this to your students and 5 years in the future they use it as material for a bad joke on something awful dot com

this would be funnier than any joke in persona 4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Chain of Memories is a bad game and I hate it. I’m so close to finishing Riku’s story but it’s so frustrating. I get that they’re trying to challenge me by doing stuff like only giving me 9 cards, none of which are higher than 5, but challenge should be fun. Making it so 9/10ths of my attacks don’t work isn’t fun.

Putting me against a boss that can stunlock me to death isn’t fun.

This game isn’t fun.

Yes I know the answer is to stop playing but this is the one part of the KH storyline I haven’t seen and the nerd in me refuses to accept that.

i replayed this a couple years ago out of morbid curiosity and it's not worth it. my strategy in boss fights devolved into just hovering over 0s and waiting for the boss to use a sleight or elixir so i could break them, reloading as soon as i used them, and just waiting for them to run out of cards

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The Colonel posted:

persona 4 is a game that's really fun and energetic on the surface but the further in you get the more you get to see how the game is entirely willing to bring up the vague potential of interesting character conflicts and then just kind of. do literally nothing with them afterwards because the writers don't actually have any thoughts on those things to explore. and every character just kind of turns to cardboard after their big arc because they're incapable of developing any further at all and the party's interactions with each other never change in any meaningful way beyond those initial introductions partially thanks to them entrusting entire character arcs to social links when they shouldn't but also because the writers very clearly only know how to do like one or two things with each character in any scene which leads to the game constantly repeating a lot of weird and unfunny gags and it's just really weird and frustrating in general

based on what i've heard about persona 5 i do not think i would like it more

5 has the same thing but the main plot also suffers from the fact it has an issue but nothing really to say about it. So it’s actually worse.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Persona 3 has really good moments in the cast without the MC lurking around like the Yukari/Mitsuru river scene which illudes to Yukari's persona Io's own mythos.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Looper posted:

i replayed this a couple years ago out of morbid curiosity and it's not worth it. my strategy in boss fights devolved into just hovering over 0s and waiting for the boss to use a sleight or elixir so i could break them, reloading as soon as i used them, and just waiting for them to run out of cards

That’s a good strategy that I’m going to steal because this game deserves all the cheese.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Eternal Punishment could have been the Persona With Adults but it doesn't really go anywhere with the premise; instead of dealing with any adult stuff you're just spreading rumors while you're hopping from dungeon to dungeon occasionally saving or otherwise getting cameos from the kids from Innocent Sin that aren't Tatsuya as if you were a student with infinite free time like in Innocent Sin.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Colonel posted:

this would be funnier than any joke in persona 4

The music teacher had connections with the school board so the english/drama teacher was slowly pushed out of the school, way more tragic than anything in persona if you ask me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Supernatural Mystery Teens is such a good concept for an RPG that I was willing to put up with one (1) Persona game's worth of wasted potential and awful situational comedy to get at it. I liked 4, but it left me with no confidence that I'd like 5. Sounds like I chose well.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The best Persona game was Shadow Hearts 2

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

persona 4 on paper sounds like it'd be my favorite rpg ever but I've put off playing it for a decade now so maybe I'll never find out.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Persona 1 is bad and boring.

Persona 2, both of them, are beautiful and have good stories but are a chore to actually play.

Persona 3 is good.

Persona 4 is slightly better than 3.

I haven't played 5 yet.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Honestly, I'm ready for another Persona 2 -> 3 style shift. I think they've done all they can with the current format and the narrative and S. Links are declining in quality.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

- That the creepy art kid stayed in the house with the forger adopted painter. It was so strange even in a Stockholm Syndrome kind of way.

he moved into his school's dorm rooms and the forger got sent off to jail

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

The music teacher had connections with the school board so the english/drama teacher was slowly pushed out of the school, way more tragic than anything in persona if you ask me.
this sounds like a yuri manga i read once but i cant remember the name so

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

this sounds like a yuri manga i read once but i cant remember the name so

The actual yuri in my high school days was the girl who would walk up to me and just randomly poke my nipples while we were walking through the hallway but at the time it didn't seem like yuri because I hadn't transitioned yet and she hadn't came out as a lesbian.

I would totally read a teacher "school politics" yuri manga tho.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1031616313653948416/photo/1