Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

A few months ago someone posted (and other people vouched for) a Japanese-made can opener that will basically last you the rest of your life. What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
There's a Japanese one with no moving parts we use for camping called the Ganjy opener. I'm pretty sure I read about it in a buy-it-for-life thread and/or camping thread. See instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3scs5FqCY

Although I think the one mentioned previously in this thread is the EZ DUZ it which is made in USA.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Those chargers will work, I’ll just pick up some 1 foot cords and boom, no more tangled mess packing and unpacking.

Just wanted to make sure I found a good brand of charger, thanks much!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Looking for a set of drawers to place a TV on in the bedroom or a TV stand that has drawers. Looking to spend < 300.
Some stuff I've looked at:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00318598/
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Sonoma...L70_&dpSrc=srch
https://www.amazon.com/Monarch-Spec...2576YTNZRFC64E0
https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Woode...2576YTNZRFC64E0

I feel like it's really hard to judge furniture quality from online. I'm assuming the Ikea one is probably the highest quality out of all of those?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Are there any companies that make plain normal cut t-shirts out of sport/performance fabric?

Everything I’ve found is made in a sport cut. Really want something that looks like your bog standard plain casual tee, but with a bit of hot weather support.

snickles posted:

I think what you are looking for are “unit blocks”. You can get very nice sets from school supply companies, but they can cost hundreds of dollars. We purchased two sets of unit blocks by Melissa and Doug that are pretty good. One is a regular set and one is a set of architectural features (arches, columns, etc. ) that are the same basic dimensions.

Perfect! Ta.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Horse Clocks posted:

Are there any companies that make plain normal cut t-shirts out of sport/performance fabric?

Everything I’ve found is made in a sport cut. Really want something that looks like your bog standard plain casual tee, but with a bit of hot weather support.

I don't know what sport cut means in this context but Hanes Cool Dri are cheap, light weight, synthetic (polyester), wicking tees that are cut just like or real close to their plain crewneck undershirts. I like them as a base layer and for sleeping in the summer.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bamhand posted:

Looking for a set of drawers to place a TV on in the bedroom or a TV stand that has drawers. Looking to spend < 300.

Just FYI, watching TV in the bedroom can really gently caress with your sleep quality.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bamhand posted:

Some stuff I've looked at:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00318598/

Can't comment to that product line from Ikea, but I have two Besta cabinets sitting under a wall-mounted TV with my HTPC and a turntable on one (open) side plus other living room odds and ends stored in the other behind a door in our living room. It's pretty high quality for the price point, I think the entire setup as described was just under $200 including legs and a glass top plus a sliding shelf that the turntable sits on.

We've also had a set of their mid-price range Malm dressers for almost 10 years. There's a bit of sag in the drawer bottoms, and it's becoming increasingly obvious they're made from particle board (getting some minor bowing/warping around stress areas) but otherwise no complaints.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Geoj posted:

Can't comment to that product line from Ikea, but I have two Besta cabinets sitting under a wall-mounted TV with my HTPC and a turntable on one (open) side plus other living room odds and ends stored in the other behind a door in our living room. It's pretty high quality for the price point, I think the entire setup as described was just under $200 including legs and a glass top plus a sliding shelf that the turntable sits on.

We've also had a set of their mid-price range Malm dressers for almost 10 years. There's a bit of sag in the drawer bottoms, and it's becoming increasingly obvious they're made from particle board (getting some minor bowing/warping around stress areas) but otherwise no complaints.

Warning: don’t get a MALM bed. The bottom half of my legs are covered in bruises from walking into it in the middle of the night.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lawen posted:

I don't know what sport cut means in this context but Hanes Cool Dri are cheap, light weight, synthetic (polyester), wicking tees that are cut just like or real close to their plain crewneck undershirts. I like them as a base layer and for sleeping in the summer.

Everything I’ve seen is slimmer around the torso, and made up of multiple panels leading to a tighter more form hugging fit.

I don’t particularly want my dad-bod form hugged, and a size up looks like I’m hiding something.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Horse Clocks posted:

Everything I’ve seen is slimmer around the torso, and made up of multiple panels leading to a tighter more form hugging fit.

I don’t particularly want my dad-bod form hugged, and a size up looks like I’m hiding something.

Theyre not cheap but Outdoor Voices has less form fitting cuts in extremely comfortable synthetic fabric, sound like exactly what you're asking for. If you get pants too theyre cheaper as a set and their returns are free and super ez.

The pants and shorts are also sooooo comfy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: wrong thread!

Rolo has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Aug 3, 2018

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lowcrabdiet posted:

There's a Japanese one with no moving parts we use for camping called the Ganjy opener. I'm pretty sure I read about it in a buy-it-for-life thread and/or camping thread.

This was it. Thank you!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

This was it. Thank you!

That looks like it's just a p40 attached to a bottle opener, rendering it doubly useful and easier to use.

Dr_Zombie_Love
Mar 17, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

You should check out the AIRism line from Uniqlo. Super lightweight, extremely breathable fabric and reasonably cheap too. I absolutely cannot wear regular cotton T-shirts during the humid summer months after finding out about these. They are cut a little slim, but not like an aggressively sporty cut. The boxer-briefs are also very good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dr_Zombie_Love posted:

You should check out the AIRism line from Uniqlo. Super lightweight, extremely breathable fabric and reasonably cheap too. I absolutely cannot wear regular cotton T-shirts during the humid summer months after finding out about these. They are cut a little slim, but not like an aggressively sporty cut. The boxer-briefs are also very good.

I really like the mesh ones as undershirts.

My wife is looking for an extremely light laptop backpack, if possible with good ventilation because she dies when she's overheated. It needs to be sturdy and protective of the laptop. Would also need to work as a "small personal item" on planes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beachcomber posted:

I really like the mesh ones as undershirts.

My wife is looking for an extremely light laptop backpack, if possible with good ventilation because she dies when she's overheated. It needs to be sturdy and protective of the laptop. Would also need to work as a "small personal item" on planes.

Mission Workshop

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Are there any reasonably cheap thermostats that can be programmed for custom on/off temps? Like cool down to 73 but DON'T turn back on until it's 76. I've got a cheapo Honeywell that I think clicks on at .5 degrees above the target temp and when it's as hot as it's been this Summer it basically stays on non-stop. Normally I wouldn't really care since it's at work and not my money paying the bill, but the AC unit is on the roof directly above my office and rattles the gently caress out of something in my drop-ceiling. This constant metallic rattling is driving me insane.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
I wanna get a detachable shower head but this place has absolutely terrible water pressure, so most heads of this sort just kinda dribble.

Any recommendations for a detachable head that can still work reasonably okay with lousy pressure?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
2nding the "Mesh" versions of the Uniqlo Airisms as undershirts, they're fantastic.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anyone know any alarm clocks with a display you can make barely visible? My mum says she has trouble sleeping and has to turn the bedside clock away from her face (and reach over to turn it if she wants to see the time) - apparently she's really sensitive to any light

I did a bunch of research and ended up something like this

which goes pretty dim (more than that pic) and she said it was ok, but it felt cheap as hell and apparently it's started freaking out like crappy electronics now

Anyone know anything better? Automatically going normal brightness during the day so you don't have to keep messing with it would be awesome too, but I think that's hoping for too much. Something you have to tap or wave over is an option, but it would be better if she could just look at it

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Anyone know any alarm clocks with a display you can make barely visible? My mum says she has trouble sleeping and has to turn the bedside clock away from her face (and reach over to turn it if she wants to see the time) - apparently she's really sensitive to any light

I did a bunch of research and ended up something like this

which goes pretty dim (more than that pic) and she said it was ok, but it felt cheap as hell and apparently it's started freaking out like crappy electronics now

Anyone know anything better? Automatically going normal brightness during the day so you don't have to keep messing with it would be awesome too, but I think that's hoping for too much. Something you have to tap or wave over is an option, but it would be better if she could just look at it

Assuming she has a more recent smartphone:
1. She could just use the voice assistant to read out the time aloud.
2. Have the phone on a stand so she'd have to just tap the screen or click a button to turn on the screen. Still would require movement, but less than turning around a clock.

Or else, get an auto-dimming clock like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Alarm-Options-Calendar-Non-Abbreviated-Settings/dp/B01DNEL3ZK
And if thats not enough use something like this to make it even dimmer: https://www.amazon.com/Dim-It-Light-Dimming-Sheets/dp/B006R0VWSG

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

.Z. posted:

And if thats not enough use something like this to make it even dimmer: https://www.amazon.com/Dim-It-Light-Dimming-Sheets/dp/B006R0VWSG

This actually might be the best option. Get the quality sleep YOU Deserve!

The reason I was asking for suggestions is it's hard to know what "dim" means on blurbs and reviews. I've seen some clocks where people are all "it goes real dim so you can barely see it, great!" and then another review is like "I had to put books in front of it" or " I put it on the floor so I can't see it". I'd like to be able to get her a nice clock but it's no good if it doesn't solve her problem, and she seems really sensitive to it (probably sleeping with her eyes half open or something)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

baka kaba posted:

The reason I was asking for suggestions is it's hard to know what "dim" means on blurbs and reviews. I've seen some clocks where people are all "it goes real dim so you can barely see it, great!" and then another review is like "I had to put books in front of it" or " I put it on the floor so I can't see it". I'd like to be able to get her a nice clock but it's no good if it doesn't solve her problem, and she seems really sensitive to it (probably sleeping with her eyes half open or something)

Just get her a nice sleep mask.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

baka kaba posted:

I have a Philips alarm clock that goes very dim.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Wake-Up-Colored-Simulation-HF3520/dp/B0093162RM

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Is waking up with this as good as it says?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just get a LCD clock and a cheapo flashlight

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Beachcomber posted:

Yes, and that model allieviates my major gripe with mine, the lack of a battery backup. Though only 8 hours of battery is not great, considering it doesn't specify 8 hours of light I still am uncertain if I would recommend it at that price.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Well for me I wake up after sunrise and my curtains don't do enough to stop light from coming in so it doesn't do much. Also I have animals that wake me up. So things to keep in mind about the practicality.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Snaguaro posted:

I wanna get a detachable shower head but this place has absolutely terrible water pressure, so most heads of this sort just kinda dribble.

Any recommendations for a detachable head that can still work reasonably okay with lousy pressure?

https://www.amazon.com/Niagara-Conservation-Handheld-Massage-Showerhead/dp/B002OSMVE4/

I've had one of these things for... *looks at Amazon's You Bought This label* Huh. Four years. And the spray is just now getting wonky from the hard water here. I get pretty good water pressure out of this thing, but if you don't, well, it's cheap as hell (even if you have to buy from alternate sellers) so it's not too big of a bummer. Maybe there's a new model that can be bought straight through Amazon, I don't know, but this is the one I have and I like it. It doesn't have a lot of different massaging settings, but be honest with yourself. Did you ever use those anyway?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Anybody got a line on an inexpensive, but still good, bathrobe? I want to surprise my wife with one, but I don't know bathrobes from buttholes.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Leavemywife posted:

Anybody got a line on an inexpensive, but still good, bathrobe? I want to surprise my wife with one, but I don't know bathrobes from buttholes.

Im not an expert or anything but my wife didn’t leave me when I gave her one of these:

https://turkishtowelcompany.com/product/kimono-peshterry/

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm in the need for light bulbs. I've been using these "soft white" LEDs and they're pretty terrible. We were playing some board game and couldn't tell the difference between purple and black; we had to use one of my flash lights up close to see the color. Anyway, the outlet is oriented horizontally if that matters.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Luggage! I've been using two leather duffels as carry-ons for a decade. I wanna upgrade to something with wheels. I don't want it to be hardshell and I travel light so I don't need it to burst at the limits of what airlines will allow you to put into the overhead bins.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Hard shells are usually lighter but if it doesn’t matter then a Travelpro or a Briggs and Riley

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Travelpro has done me right the last 5yrs without any rips, etc. Expect it to keep going for quite a while longer too

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looking to probably get an android tablet in the next month.

What's the new hot poo poo for around $400 CAD?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Probably have better luck in the stickied megathread on inspect your gadgets, fyi

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

Probably have better luck in the stickied megathread on inspect your gadgets, fyi

Ah I was looking under the computer section for a thread.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Hard shells are usually lighter but if it doesn’t matter then a Travelpro or a Briggs and Riley

Hmm. What hardshells do you recommend?