Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Kazak posted:

Great images everybody

The lighting in that store is miserable bordering OHSA levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I went to festival this weekend and didn't feel like going to work today so I just texted that I'm taking today of and I'll see them tomorrow :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

The lighting in that store is miserable bordering OHSA levels.

I'm pretty sure the store is closed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah poo poo like this would make me need to believe Europe was some kind of hellhole or I'd paint the lawn with my brains

Choosing between "I must believe a lie" and "I must kill myself" as a response to not being able to take it anymore, while at no point ever considering "I must work to change things" is a very American response.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/Keatronn/status/1031283846996578304?s=19

I hate emojis because they are a terrible way of emphasizing your point, however, I love the message.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ate all the Oreos posted:

At my last job someone did the whole "give two weeks notice then go on vacation" thing so they fired them after one day out as one last gently caress-you I guess

I once worked a job, and they tried to convince me that in order to get into the position I wanted, I would have to quit, and they would rehire me as a contractor. Of course when you quit, you lose all the perks, and you're lucky if a temp agency will give you anything. I basically refused until they quietly moved me over.

The thing that always got me about that job was that they hired a lot of immigrants who's primary language wasn't English, so I'm sure they had managed to get away with that scummy poo poo before.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I mean, that's about the level of lighting you get at a Hollister

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Severe contrasts are another favorite late stage aesthetic of mine

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well, yeah, that's exactly the problem; you have a ton of people thinking "well that guy isn't in any danger, how can he possibly develop PTSD?"

Turns out that pushing a "make people die" button can be pretty traumatic.
Right, but enough about killing people with GUNS

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I went to a Burlington Coat Factory that looked like that once. So it might not be.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wouldn't be so sure buddy, I've had a lot of people outright refuse to believe me when I tell them about Europe's mandatory vacation time or maternity leave.

Yeah the few people who actually know about it come back with "b-b-but cost of living is higher!" or something like that.

Yeah Americans have a fantasy of what America is like

shut up blegum posted:

People in the US also have this weird culture of being proud of 60-80 hour workweeks. Like it's a sign of weakness if you don't put in a bazillion hours of work/week. Seems the weirdest thing ever to be proud of, but I'm just a lazy European I guess?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Now do the one where they have people estimate what the government budget is and everyone thinks it's like 40% going to "foreign aid for dirty brown people" and the other 60% to "ungrateful poors"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Here's an older one but I've seen a more recent one that was a little better but noooot much:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.59019ee3b343

I like how it's mostly a normal curve except a bunch of people think we spend most of our budget on foreign aid for some reason

e: For anyone who doesn't know the actual number is less than one percent

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

a bunch of people think we spend most of our budget on foreign aid for some reason

:thinkyface:

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Calico Heart posted:

So I live in the UK and only recently found out about Americans being scared to phone in sick for work or actually take the holiday time in their contract. To me, this was absolutely mind-blowing, even on a minimum wage job (I have worked my share or boring lovely jobs). I could maybe imagine phoning in and my boss being disappointed I couldn't make it in, but I can't imagine fearing for my livelihood every time I got a cold.

My American friend insists things are exactly the same over here and in most of the States, that workers have the exact same rights etc., it's just that Americans aren't likely to go to an employment tribunal or anything. Is this true? Am I and all my friends just really lucky to have worked the jobs they have? Am I totally wrong on this one? I've spoken to friends who work in call centres and as accountants about this and to them the idea of being afraid to take time off is a foreign, alien thing too.

Not saying UK is a bastion of worker's rights or anything, just that this issue is tripping me up

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So what you're saying is that Americans are completely brainwashed and that the bad guys won, in your country?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I like how it's mostly a normal curve except a bunch of people think we spend most of our budget on foreign aid for some reason
also historically during the cold war a lot of 'foreign aid' was helping despotic governments bomb people, cia fronts, propaganda, and think tanks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

So what you're saying is that Americans are completely brainwashed and that the bad guys won, in your country?

basically, yes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Yes, also all that money people think is going to foreign aid is actually going to the military, which gets about twice the funding of Russia and China's militaries combined, so good luck stopping us loving up everything everywhere forever

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Lol I never understand the manager's line of thinking in stuff like this. What's the best case scenario here? Employee comes in anyway and totally half asses the job, maybe fucks up some orders or worse? And that makes your 'restaurant' look bad too, so why? Why?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We're actually helping the foreigners we bomb the poo poo out of with our military. Each bomb and each child turned to hamburger is a step closer to freedom

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

shut up blegum posted:

Lol I never understand the manager's line of thinking in stuff like this. What's the best case scenario here? Employee comes in anyway and totally half asses the job, maybe fucks up some orders or worse? And that makes your 'restaurant' look bad too, so why? Why?

Because he is an overworked american who apparently works 60+hr weeks (??!?) and never takes vacation and has gone mentally ill from it

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Here's an older one but I've seen a more recent one that was a little better but noooot much:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.59019ee3b343

e: For anyone who doesn't know the actual number is less than one percent

So who is at fault here? Political people are misrepresenting the actual importance of expenditures, right? Why would they do that?

<looks at pie chart of federal spending. Sees 54% military*>

Oh....oh....

*54% is from 2015 discretionary spending. It's actually just 16% of discretionary and non discretionary. Still, it's the 3rd largest line item after health and human services and social security.

Oscar Wild has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Aug 20, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

His line of thinking is "gently caress you now I'm going to have to pay someone overtime UGH get hosed you puss"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Don't worry Yelp will look out for you if you are abusive to your employees

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

What kind of monster would hide the name of the restaurant?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

So who is at fault here? Political people are misrepresenting the actual importance of expenditures, right? Why would they do that?

<looks at pie chart of federal spending. Sees 57% military>

Oh....oh....

In fairness that's 57% of discretionary spending, if you look at the total budget it's more like 15-20% of total spending, but that's still a mind-bogglingly enormous amount at $681 billion yearly (for FY2019).

I once read a drug company quote the price of bringing a new drug to market was $20 billion. Now I know that's insanely inflated (for example, they count all the money they "could" have made in the stock market if they took the money they spent on research and invested it instead as part of the "cost") but even paying that much, our current military budget could fund 34 new drugs a year. And that's nothing, at the peak of the Iraq war we were spending $20 billion per day. There's nothing that gets me angrier and more depressed than thinking about the defense budget :sigh:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Yes, also all that money people think is going to foreign aid is actually going to the military, which gets about twice the funding of Russia and China's militaries combined, so good luck stopping us loving up everything everywhere forever

Ah yes "foreign aid"

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

In fairness that's 57% of discretionary spending, if you look at the total budget it's more like 15-20% of total spending, but that's still a mind-bogglingly enormous amount at $681 billion yearly (for FY2019).

I once read a drug company quote the price of bringing a new drug to market was $20 billion. Now I know that's insanely inflated (for example, they count all the money they "could" have made in the stock market if they took the money they spent on research and invested it instead as part of the "cost") but even paying that much, our current military budget could fund 34 new drugs a year. And that's nothing, at the peak of the Iraq war we were spending $20 billion per day. There's nothing that gets me angrier and more depressed than thinking about the defense budget :sigh:

Yeah, I edited it after realizing I was being just as misleading.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Zzulu posted:

Because he is an overworked american who apparently works 60+hr weeks (??!?) and never takes vacation and has gone mentally ill from it

Okay Mike

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

No excuse to talk to a 15 year old like that

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Yeah seriously why blur out the name of the place? I want people driving by yelling out "gently caress you puss" until it closes down for good

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Instead of censoring the name of the place, they should've specified city and state.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Also cool with the casual poo poo talking of his other 14 year old girl employee that no doubt gets treated the same

red19fire
May 26, 2010

g0lbez posted:

Yeah seriously why blur out the name of the place? I want people driving by yelling out "gently caress you puss" until it closes down for good

Decorum. This piece of poo poo presumably treats everyone like that, but that's no reason to publicly shame him! Until people realize there are consequence for being a piece of poo poo, they will continue to be a piece of poo poo.

E: how long until the local news runs a puff piece on him about 'I was just trying to teach these kids that the world is rough and now thanks to social media my life is ruined' puff piece?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

g0lbez posted:

Also cool with the casual poo poo talking of his other 14 year old girl employee that no doubt gets treated the same

I interpreted that as him talking about his daughter lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A quick google news search: https://www.capenews.net/bourne/news/sagamore-restaurant-subject-of-social-media-firestorm/article_4579a958-240b-51b2-b0df-8f6ca24cf971.html

Looks like the guy done hosed up and had to disappear for a while.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I like how a 15 year old kid is more mature than he presumably adult boss restaurant owner. after being told to gently caress off he just says "ok thanks for having me, have a good life"

small business owners are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Inept posted:

Don't worry Yelp will look out for you if you are abusive to your employees

Screw yelp I use google reviews which aren't censored and will show up on google's resuts list before stupid loving yelp