Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dweebs checking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Also: the 3MA episode for this game is, uh, not great. I'm fairly certain nobody involved ever managed to get past the stag door?

Yeah, although they didn't especially dislike it per se. Although it's ironic that one of the Evening Isles locations (Fort Geryk) is named after a 3MA alumnus.

Speaking of, what region are the Evening Isles supposed to represent? Is it the Caribbean? The Azores? I can reasonably place other tiers of locations, but I'm not sure about this one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think one of the obstacles is specifically called a Soucouyant which would make it solidly the Caribbean.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
The Capitol - London

The Shires - The English Shires

The Continent - France and Germany

The Land Beyond the Forest - Eastern Europe

The Rending Mountains - The Himalayas

The Lone and Level Sands - Not sure about this one, the name suggests Egypt? Maybe the Sahara altogether

The Evening Isles - The Caribbean

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rending Mountains are the Zagros, I think. The default location there is the Tombs of the Shadowless Kings- the Shadowless Empire being the Achaemenids.

Locations in the Sands mention "Algerian currency" and "Greek inscriptions", so the Sahara seems like a safe pick. And of course the lore on the Vagabond's Map talks about the River running through the sands.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Synthbuttrange posted:

They also posted this :3:

This is fantastic and I guess I have to play a Knock cult next.

mechanically suboptimal though they may be

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

ZeusJupitar posted:

The Land Beyond the Forest - Eastern Europe

Fun fact - Land Beyond the Forest is literally Transylvania. Voivode's Citadel is p. much Dracula's Castle.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wasn't Big D's actual title Voivode?

Somehow I missed this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, Vlad Tepes was Voivode (warlord) of Wallachia, in what's now Romania.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think "The Continent" also includes the Netherlands, one of the expeditions featured a Dutch name, or at least I'm fairly sure it did

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This is fantastic and I guess I have to play a Knock cult next.

mechanically suboptimal though they may be

They may not have one of the three elements needed for victory but their lore is easy as hell to level up since it combines with anything, so you can have highly-promoted cultists pretty well with a Knock cult. A top-level Knock cultist can steal some amazing treasures too.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I assume most people here put this down because dying to certain cards piling up after 8 hours of makin' moves sucks immensely? Fascination deaths have to be the MOST unavoidable, where the gently caress am I supposed to get a dread card late into the game? Dread only piles up if you're loving something up, so I need to gently caress things up to keep myself from getting hosed up and that's hosed. I know going crazy is all a part of the cultist experience but it happens way to quick and its really fuckin stealthy. All of a sudden I had three fascinations and the timer was halfway complete, and that was after hours of study and paintings making hella dough.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AppleDan posted:

I assume most people here put this down because dying to certain cards piling up after 8 hours of makin' moves sucks immensely? Fascination deaths have to be the MOST unavoidable, where the gently caress am I supposed to get a dread card late into the game? Dread only piles up if you're loving something up, so I need to gently caress things up to keep myself from getting hosed up and that's hosed. I know going crazy is all a part of the cultist experience but it happens way to quick and its really fuckin stealthy. All of a sudden I had three fascinations and the timer was halfway complete, and that was after hours of study and paintings making hella dough.

There are multiple ways to quickly and deliberately get Dread. For instance, if you Talk to an investigator about Winter lore, it generates a Dread card.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

There are multiple ways to quickly and deliberately get Dread. For instance, if you Talk to an investigator about Winter lore, it generates a Dread card.

Just winter?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Another thing you can do is let your health decay. The resultant card can be worked to generate dread.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AppleDan posted:

Just winter?

Just Winter. It’s the Lore of death and silence and endings, so it can drive people into despondency.

The first time you do it there’s a chance it will drive the investigator mad, but if they survive their brush with it they’ll be a reliable way to generate Dread almost on-demand.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

Just Winter. It’s the Lore of death and silence and endings, so it can drive people into despondency.

The first time you do it there’s a chance it will drive the investigator mad, but if they survive their brush with it they’ll be a reliable way to generate Dread almost on-demand.

I havent seen a single piece of winter lore yet

pedro0930 posted:

Another thing you can do is let your health decay. The resultant card can be worked to generate dread.

That sounds like something you have to plan, not something you can do when The Glory sneaks up on you.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Playing for eight hours and not seeing a single piece of Winter lore is unusual and suggests something else may be going on.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

Playing for eight hours and not seeing a single piece of Winter lore is unusual and suggests something else may be going on.

"Something else" = the game not giving me an opportunity to get any winter lore

I usually only see Red, Purple, or Yellow lore pieces, I haven't seen any winter pieces yet, and that's in all my 20 hours of playing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That seems... really odd.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Going in the White Door gives you a 66% chance of a card that will decay into Dread. I drop everything and start hitting the White Door as soon as I get the fascination timer.

AppleDan posted:

I usually only see Red, Purple, or Yellow lore pieces, I haven't seen any winter pieces yet, and that's in all my 20 hours of playing.

You should be guaranteed to get On The White and Traveling at Night Vol. 2 from the bookshop, both of which give you a Winter 2 lore.

vetinari100 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 24, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you just emptying out the bookstore and reading every book you can buy?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AppleDan posted:

And that’s really weird, you only get Knock, Lantern, and... which do you mean by red, Heart/Grail/Forge? They all drop from books the same way so you’re not not doing something that would get you Winter.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

And that’s really weird, you only get Knock, Lantern, and... which do you mean by red, Heart/Grail/Forge? They all drop from books the same way so you’re not not doing something that would get you Winter.

It has to be Grail

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are you just emptying out the bookstore and reading every book you can buy?

Yes, that and painting up a storm to bankroll expeditions

vetinari100 posted:

Going in the White Door gives you a 66% chance of a card that will decay into Dread. I drop everything and start hitting the White Door as soon as I get the fascination timer.

You should be guaranteed to get On The White an Traveling at Night Vol. 2 from the bookshop, both of which give you a Winter 2 lore.

THAT'S IT, that drat book. I've seen volume 2 once but I got Glory'd before I could read it.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Also AFAIK you only get Fascination as a result of your actions. You can sometimes get random Dread, but I don't think you ever get random Fascination. So as soon as you get the first Fascination in the Visions timer, stop doing any stuff likely to generate more (exploring Moonlit Streets or higher levels of Mansus, doing certain rites, dreaming with Passion/Reason, studying higher tier of books, advanced painting etc...) until you get rid of it.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

vetinari100 posted:

advanced painting etc

Yeah that did it. I think the tiles were just slurping them up too, so I couldn't do anything with them. Or even notice they were there in the first place.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AppleDan posted:

It has to be Grail

Yes, that and painting up a storm to bankroll expeditions

THAT'S IT, that drat book. I've seen volume 2 once but I got Glory'd before I could read it.

If you’re buying and studying all the books and doing expeditions and only seeing Lantern, Grail, and Knock lores then either the RNG is consistently messing with you something is definitely weird, consider submitting a bug report.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

If you’re buying and studying all the books and doing expeditions and only seeing Lantern, Grail, and Knock lores then either the RNG is consistently messing with you something is definitely weird, consider submitting a bug report.

I'll think about doing that for sure.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure that you're guaranteed to get Winter Lore from the auction house, in a rather unique format.

Anyway, if inspecting the time verb reveals impending visions, I usually burn my Fascination as a trapping to induct or promote a Pawn. Otherwise I dream of the White Door, which is pretty much a coinflip to get something (restlessness or Winter influence) that decays to Dread.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 24, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And for something to say because quote is not edit, I kind of dislike that the most lore-intensive parts of dreams and expeditions are the end results that you can easily click through, especially dreams, because time starts running immediately when you're out.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 24, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Glazius posted:

I'm pretty sure that you're guaranteed to get Winter Lore from the auction house, in a rather unique format.

You are, and On The White as previously mentioned. The decks for the bookshop and the auction house are static data and, unless something very strange is going on, should be the same every time. (They're also nearly identical)

AppleDan, how often are you buying books? So long as you have the funds (and you should be rolling in cash once you max your painting skill) you should be going to Morland's constantly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

You are, and On The White as previously mentioned. The decks for the bookshop and the auction house are static data and, unless something very strange is going on, should be the same every time. (They're also nearly identical)

AppleDan, how often are you buying books? So long as you have the funds (and you should be rolling in cash once you max your painting skill) you should be going to Morland's constantly.

That’s why I’m thinking something wrong is actually going on: if you’re buying and studying books you will eventually get all the lore, there’s not that much room for the RNG to screw you on this. Unless AppleDan is missing something huge, their game is broken.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I've never played a game where I didn't find STUMM! at the auction house. That's some mid-level winter lore plus a very handy ritual right there. Obviously if you lose the auction it's gone forever though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game is super weird and addictive and kind of awesome. Thanks for making me aware of it op

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Constantly, the Winter Book just so happened to be the 3rd to last book i bought from them before they closed down.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So i notched my first win in this game without realizing you could generate dread from investigators, or how to see the next event from the time verb. I'm not saying this as a 'git gud', but just... even if you direly handicap yourself, fascination still isn't as bad as it initially seems (which is, yes, very bad).

Basically, you identify what generates fascination and dread, and then if you have Visions that manages to grab two fascination anyway, just shut down the whole cult until you've dealt with that. You'll never get just straight-up dealt a fascination without taking an action, so shutting down means the only source left is random Aspect draws, which you can burn in a ritual or a cult promotion. And then, eventually, you'll pull a Restlessness and be able to start doing things again. It's boring, but it'll work unless you had six plates spinning that might spit out Fascination, and they all flipped that way right after a Visions verb comes up.

Alternate answer, and you really should think about beating the game the hard way once first: cheat. Savescum. There's ten autosave backup slots going back in time, use 'em.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The most critical UI thing is probably a HUD element for the next time event. It's important to check it every day and the fact that you can even do so is hidden.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would love a way to turn off completely the boxes that appear in the top right when you click on empty slots. Or just make it so that mousing over a card shows you all the places it can go, and mousing over an empty slot lights up all the cards that can go in it. that would be fantastic.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Uh, those are both things already. Clicking an empty slot highlights all things it can take, picking up and shaking a card highlights all verbs you can play it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Bramble posted:

I've never played a game where I didn't find STUMM! at the auction house. That's some mid-level winter lore plus a very handy ritual right there. Obviously if you lose the auction it's gone forever though.

It's in the auction house pool, yeah, and it's possibly the single most useful thing you can buy from either shop.