Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

holy poo poo

quote:

"My 70-year-old dad and I were stuck at a trailhead at the end of a dead-end road near Lake Macdonald in West Glacier, MT," Bilton wrote on YouTube in sharing the video. "The wildifre (sic) was between us and the only way out. After we reached the downed, burning tree seen at the end of the video, I had to reverse all the way back to the trailhead, where we were lucky to flag down a boat."

they had to go back through all that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

ncaf dad

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/ira/status/1031697799249707014?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm torn between thinking this will normalize the idea of RFID implants, which is cool, and gently caress no because employers shouldn't be the ones doing it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

GWBBQ posted:

I'm torn between thinking this will normalize the idea of RFID implants, which is cool, and gently caress no because employers shouldn't be the ones doing it.

gotta get the reprogrammable rfid spoofer to be a true decker

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

This verse is why we can't have a national ID card because the fundies will flip

They will also be the first one in line to literally get chipped for their job too lol

correct on both counts, yes

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AltHistories/status/1030498805832208385

quote:

"I thought about Denzel Washington when he's acting as a cop in movies. I said, ‘well, I gotta keep this guy entertained somehow because if I wait for police, this thing may be over,’"
After asking the man if he wanted to have a drink with him, Anderson ran to his truck and grabbed a 12-pack - and used it to lure him to safety.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

trump is doing a chud rally in charleston wv tomorrow at 7pm

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

gotta get the reprogrammable rfid spoofer to be a true decker
I'll probably get poo poo on for this, but whatever. I implanted mine and the reactions I get from people at work when I open doors by tapping my bare hand to card readers are more than worth the cost. I have no illusion that it's normal or will ever become mainstream, but I see it as like a piercing for function rather than form.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GWBBQ posted:

I'll probably get poo poo on for this, but whatever. I implanted mine and the reactions I get from people at work when I open doors by tapping my bare hand to card readers are more than worth the cost. I have no illusion that it's normal or will ever become mainstream, but I see it as like a piercing for function rather than form.

lol you let your bosses implant you so you could do tricks

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol you let your bosses implant you so you could do tricks
I can program it to whatever the hell is most convenient. My boss was one of the "what the gently caress, you actually did that?" people.

edit:

scene: an optimistic fiction set 100 years from now, when public universities still exist

"we dug him up, quick, get the hand!"

[in university building that hasn't been significantly upgraded since 2020]

*vandals bring my hand to the door of the server room*

"hurry up, get it out!"

*kid touches the dilapidated remains of my hand to the card reader, which opens because my card was never deactivated on retirement or death*
*kids look around in awe*

"wow, they sure have a lot of old crap stored in here. oh wait, I found something!"

*kids disconnect 35 school districts and 3 state police precincts from the Internet by unplugging network cables*

GWBBQ has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Aug 21, 2018

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i want a bluetooth enabled smart device embedded in me so i can turn it on when im cold and get some bitcoin out of the waste heat

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Ajit Pai wants me to mark myself so that I become my own magnetic strip much like a credit card so that he can keep charging me for my internet browsing and shitposting time everytime my hands swipe across the keyboard

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be cool with a chip in my hand as long as the chip reader was embedded in the back of my boss's head

:evilbuddy:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
rear end chip, thoughts ?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/CheekyAmriki/status/1031892435092348928

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Not a lot of time to wrapped things up

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mormonpartyboat posted:

nah there's a separate fee you already pay to use the service~

also that fee and also taxes often arent included in the numerator when you say 'tip 20%' instead of doing the math yourself

also the tip doesn’t go to the delivery drivers.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

rear end chip, thoughts ?

id be cool with a chip in my rear end. or a sam or a samantha

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

ffs

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I'm just so tired of all these afghan wars

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
stolen from trumpthred:

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1031930686561832962

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zucc: uh we are a force for good

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Why the gently caress would you implant something that you could just clip onto your shirt or even embed it into a ring or other piece of REMOVABLE clothing?

I'm all for technology but embedding it into your body does nothing but make it harder for you to access.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i wonder what specific elements are doing it and why

like is it just that people who use facebook a lot tend to hypertribalize which drives othering

or is it more along the lines of nationalists/racists having platforms and tainting dialogue (which should show similar effects for twitter usage)

or maybe it's something specifically baked into the way facebook distributes information and moderates content, the poison of rejecting facts in the name of objectivity

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

i thought they didn't have any food or non-bombed-out housing, checkmate libs

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yam5uK6e-bQ

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mormonpartyboat posted:

like is it just that people who use facebook a lot tend to hypertribalize which drives othering

or is it more along the lines of nationalists/racists having platforms and tainting dialogue (which should show similar effects for twitter usage)

or maybe it's something specifically baked into the way facebook distributes information and moderates content, the poison of rejecting facts in the name of objectivity

the article uses "social media" and "Facebook" interchangeably so it's hard to tell

I think it's definitely the second thing you mentioned, that it's from the nazis getting a platform, combined with the lack of any surrounding context or bystanders pushing back or being present reminding you that they're a minority compared to the rest of society. when you read nazi memes on Facebook it stands on its own and it gets equal priority and presentation as any other meme or post

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

i hope the eu sues facebook over this

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

SKULL.GIF posted:

the article uses "social media" and "Facebook" interchangeably so it's hard to tell

I think it's definitely the second thing you mentioned, that it's from the nazis getting a platform, combined with the lack of any surrounding context or bystanders pushing back or being present reminding you that they're a minority compared to the rest of society. when you read nazi memes on Facebook it stands on its own and it gets equal priority and presentation as any other meme or post

i think it might be all three making the others worse

like, facebook finds things you 'like' and feeds you more of that rather than other things, so you end up with very delineated cliques even among people who all follow each other. that's a good chamber in which cultural background racism gets amplified into a positive feedback loop, and facebook picks up on that and starts sending you to WHITEGENOCIDE DOT CO DOT UK in your news feed until you go out and punch a turk

twoday
May 4, 2005

Society is a scam.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ReignOfApril/status/1031942752966193152
:cripes:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zuch should be tried for crimes against humanity unironically

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Kurtofan posted:

zuch should be tried for crimes against humanity unironically

abolish social media, send zuckerberg @jack and tom to the hague

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Not the Chinese cover. 3/5

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

social media only exacerbates the hate that already exists in the lowest among us

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
pretty slow day today tbh

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mormonpartyboat posted:

why not all of it, there's many factors at play as to how social media is presented in our world view at large and its always the tiniest ~nuance~ thats permanently verbalized like digital graffiti plastered allover your computer screen, as if its magically embedded into frame that illustrates some sort of validated point. It's a gaslight, even if its a positive image because we are now psychically interlinked as a species and nobody is ready to handle the sheer volume that our species as a whole produce in our posts and messaging. We haven't even managed to figure out how to filter the worst of this psychic bomb when it comes to hate speech, instead we just divert the stream of consciousness temporarily with a bandaid fix which is why Facebook and Twitter are doing such a horrendous job because they're being reactive instead of proactive towards hate speech and other impurities that affects our outlook that influences us every day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

cenotaph posted:

Not the Chinese cover. 3/5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHznB-_Gbs