Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Game is up on Netflix. One of David Fincher's less appreciated films, but it's neck and neck with Zodiac for my favorite thing he's done (working with the same cinematographer on both!).

Honestly I feel like it's the film that most captures the mania and paranoia of a Philip K Dick novel more than any actual adaptation of his work ever has, if that sounds appealing. It's draped in shadows, intelligently plotted, and everything down to the sound design feeds into itself wonderfully. I'd recommend going in as blind as you can, as it is fairly twisty, but in the end the film is really about atmosphere and a killer lead performance from Michael Douglas.

quote:

Michael Douglas plays investment banker Nicholas Van Orton (a kind of depressed Gordon Gekko) who has all the money you could want, and nothing else. He’s angry, unhappy, and alone. On his 48th birthday, the same year his father committed suicide, his brother Conrad (Sean Penn) shows up to give him a unique gift: a voucher for a game of unknown rules or objectives. Orton visits the blandly named Consumer Recreation Services and is put through hours of humiliating tests—“the game is tailored specifically to each participant”—and told he’s been rejected. Then the game begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
magic of humans is satire, right?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, uh, I watched Tag, a japanese surrealist horror film on Netflix. If you do a bad movie night, this should probably be on the docket.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mover posted:

The Game is up on Netflix. One of David Fincher's less appreciated films, but it's neck and neck with Zodiac for my favorite thing he's done (working with the same cinematographer on both!).

Honestly I feel like it's the film that most captures the mania and paranoia of a Philip K Dick novel more than any actual adaptation of his work ever has, if that sounds appealing. It's draped in shadows, intelligently plotted, and everything down to the sound design feeds into itself wonderfully. I'd recommend going in as blind as you can, as it is fairly twisty, but in the end the film is really about atmosphere and a killer lead performance from Michael Douglas.

That premise definitely sounds like PKD and I’m gonna check this out now, thanks

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Game is top-tier poo poo, and a really interesting point in Fincher's career, where he's just coming off of the career-changing Se7en, and will follow up with Fight Club just two years later. Like if you look at those three movies in succession you can really see Fincher evolve into the director of esteem that we know him as today, in terms of experimenting with style and tone.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah The Game is really good, give it a go if you haven't seen it.

On a sort of related note, there's a graphic novel sequel to Fight Club. It's pretty fuckin weird but a good read.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, uh, I watched Tag, a japanese surrealist horror film on Netflix. If you do a bad movie night, this should probably be on the docket.

It's good. That's Sion Sono, the guy that did Suicide Circle, Love Exposure, Noriko's Dinner Table, Strange Circus, Cold Fish and others. It's his least ambitious and most direct movie by a fair longshot but I enjoyed it. His other stuff is a lot more involved and more technical, he's kind of the Japanese David Lynch

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Franchescanado posted:

I get wanting to watch something to want to form your own opinion, but this is basically watching kids line up to put their hand on the hot stove to see if it will also burn them. Like each of you are describing how your hand is burnt very well, but it's weird when a new kid tries.

LOL dude what's with the histrionics? It's a TV show from proven talents that has been getting mixed reviews.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
no no no you dont understand spending time watching a tv show is the same as putting your hand on a burning stove because

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

The Game is top-tier poo poo, and a really interesting point in Fincher's career, where he's just coming off of the career-changing Se7en, and will follow up with Fight Club just two years later. Like if you look at those three movies in succession you can really see Fincher evolve into the director of esteem that we know him as today, in terms of experimenting with style and tone.

Yea it really is underappreciated within Fincher's filmography, even among Fincher fans.

I know for myself I saw it years ago, before I'd really gained an appreciation for Fincher's visual style. And it was very good then, but when I went back recently and watched it again all of the great Fincher elements are 100% there. That hyper-realistic visual style with the meticulously crafted sets but matched with the dreary tone. Maybe not quite top-tier Fincher with Zodiac and Se7en, but definitely right in that next tier.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chaotic Flame posted:

I watched it earlier this year just because Reina Triendl stars in it Given how she comes off as a host on Terrance House (she is the innocent one who keeps the rest of the hosts from making dirty jokes) I was surprised to see her in a such a violent surreal movie.

I mean this is the face she makes when people say something too edgy and she was in Tag?

Edit: I haven't seen The Game since it was released in theaters, but I really enjoyed it. The only complaint I can remember was how impossible the whole thing was.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 21, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

Edit: I haven't seen The Game since it was released in theaters, but I really enjoyed it. The only complaint I can remember was how impossible the whole thing was.

Yea it basically works on rich people logic. Like, you have to just go with the premise that extremely rich people can basically make anything happen if they feel like paying enough for it. Not exactly the biggest stretch I've ever seen in a movie.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it basically works on rich people logic. Like, you have to just go with the premise that extremely rich people can basically make anything happen if they feel like paying enough for it.

Not in the mood for a documentary, thanks anyway.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I noticed the same thing, and I think it boils down to Eric Andre and Abbi Jacobson being new to voice acting. I love them both, but VA work has a huge learning curve. That’s why celebrity guest spots on animated shows almost always sound flat and boring.

The voice acting breaks the show. I think it'd be great otherwise.

Imagine it with Kristen Shal as Bean and Chris Tucker as the demon.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Norm McDonald as the demon, that guy is so good with smarmy type characters and voice acting.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I'm a huge Eric Andre fan but he's definitely not a great voice actor. Occasionally his delivery lands for me, but usually it's a bit too flat.

I agree the show gets better as it goes on, and I like Abbi Jacobson. I have decent hopes for it continuing to improve, but won't really care all that much if it fails.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you've not yet used your free month of HBO, I would highly suggest you do so right the gently caress now because Barry and Sharp Objects are easily the best shows of the year, if not of many years.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

precision posted:

It's good. That's Sion Sono, the guy that did Suicide Circle, Love Exposure, Noriko's Dinner Table, Strange Circus, Cold Fish and others. It's his least ambitious and most direct movie by a fair longshot but I enjoyed it. His other stuff is a lot more involved and more technical, he's kind of the Japanese David Lynch

That's his most direct movie? Interesting. Maybe it's just a cultural divide but it just seemed incoherent, and aimless to me. There were so many seemingly random moments focused on (e.g., pig man doing backflips while chasing Izumi is important enough for slow motion because ????) and I feel like half the run time was just one of the girls running alone while wide shots happened which COULD be a statement about any number of things but didn't connect to anything in a substantive way.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Game has both Mario and Wario in it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched two episodes of Disenchanted and it's less terrible than people had lead me to believe. It basically fills that same niche as Futurama where it's not hilarious but occasionally pretty funny and manages to get by on a pretty entertaining story. It's nothing great but I think it's worth watching for now.

Eric Andre is definitely very noticeable as a weak VA though. It's pretty distracting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Piell posted:

It's an obvious green screen (look at her hair as she stands up) and made me stop watching. I tuned in to see a skilled magician, not to see a mediocre editing team.

Holy poo poo, wow. Yeah that is bad.

I honestly started watching to see if people were just being really cynical but this show is a joke.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly started watching to see if people were just being really cynical but this show is a joke.

I've been watching it as a comedy...which I think it's supposed to be?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Magic for Humans is very much supposed to be a comedy. It’s got a bunch of Tim and Eric moments. Sucks that some of it isn’t real, but I think it was entertaining for the most part, and Magic for Susans is great.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I watched the first episode thinking it's supposed to be "real" and wasn't impressed (the balloon segment very obviously used actors) but there is something darkly funny about a magician predicting your future occupation as "CULT" and vomiting ice cream toppings on to a froyo. Gonna give the next few episodes a chance with a different mindset.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I watched two episodes of Disenchanted and it's less terrible than people had lead me to believe. It basically fills that same niche as Futurama where it's not hilarious but occasionally pretty funny and manages to get by on a pretty entertaining story. It's nothing great but I think it's worth watching for now.

A lot of Futurama's appeal for me wasn't as much the jokes as the general vibe and I'm getting that from this so far (I'm three episodes in.) There's a certain charm to it even though there's a lot of work to be done.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

How can you watch this and not realise it’s meant to be a comedy?! Have you ever seen the Office?

I mean even the trailer has a woman drooling over a umbrella because it’s ”SO BIG AND BLACK”.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 22, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a compilation of the "real" parts of Magic for Humans, but in the first two episodes there weren't that many obviously fake segments where it was camera tricks or actors. I don't even mind the ones where he obviously tried a trick a dozen times and only used the footage that worked, because the reaction of the person it did work on is great. I figured out how he did that coloring segment with the kids: ask the kids what part they want to color and hand them a not-so-random color based on the part they picked, then don't air that part of the footage but it was still good because you can't fake kids' reactions. I still don't know how he did the disappearing marshmallow but that must have been real also to fool the kids.

I'm not sold on the balloon/phone trick people being actors, but they were obviously vetted beforehand and knew they were being recorded so their reactions weren't what a normal person's would be to having their phone taken away. Then all he has to do is sleight of hand, dropping their phone into the pocket of "duct taped" plastic on his back and tying a similar-looking phone to the balloons.

The magic backpack trick was still awful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Weavered posted:

How can you watch this and not realise it’s meant to be a comedy?! Have you ever seen the Office?

I mean even the trailer has a woman drooling over a umbrella because it’s ”SO BIG AND BLACK”.
Whether it's supposed to be a comedy, whether the people watching the tricks are actors, and whether the magic tricks are actual magic tricks or effects are all completely different issues.

Saying "it's clearly supposed to be funny so you shouldn't expect the tricks to be real" is completely stupid and disingenuous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Spring Breakers is back on Netflix streaming. I just saw it in theaters last night and it's still loving amazing. It's funny that it was such a polarizing film when it came out, since it helped make A24 into the best modern film studio, and it's probably Harmony Korine's most accessible film.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As someone who saw it in a theater 3/4 full of families with their tween daughters I am not surprised it was polarizing. If anything it was totally aiming to piss people off.

Although we have hit the point in society where it barely feels like a parody anymore, less than 5 years later, which is weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Spring Breakers is back on Netflix streaming. I just saw it in theaters last night and it's still loving amazing. It's funny that it was such a polarizing film when it came out, since it helped make A24 into the best modern film studio, and it's probably Harmony Korine's most accessible film.

gently caress yeah SPRING BREAK FOREEEEEEEVER

I have watched that movie like 20 times time to make it 21

And yeah Magic For Humans is pretty funny ("First of all, that IS a girl. Open your minds, kids.") but I went into it looking for Penn and Teller not David Copperfield.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

gently caress yeah SPRING BREAK FOREEEEEEEVER

I have watched that movie like 20 times time to make it 21

For a movie that's regularly considered weird, nightmarish and experimental, I found it very funny and straight-forward.

The Britney Spears song scene is amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The funniest thing is that I wouldn't bat an eye at James Franco's character today as an irl person. I know he was based on Riff Raff, but those guys have become exceedingly common and he seemed hilariously ridiculous just 5 years ago.

And yeah, Spring Breakers is great. It's a one of a kind movie for sure.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Spring Breakers is great.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

I wish there was a compilation of the "real" parts of Magic for Humans, but in the first two episodes there weren't that many obviously fake segments where it was camera tricks or actors. I don't even mind the ones where he obviously tried a trick a dozen times and only used the footage that worked, because the reaction of the person it did work on is great. I figured out how he did that coloring segment with the kids: ask the kids what part they want to color and hand them a not-so-random color based on the part they picked, then don't air that part of the footage but it was still good because you can't fake kids' reactions. I still don't know how he did the disappearing marshmallow but that must have been real also to fool the kids.

I'm not sold on the balloon/phone trick people being actors, but they were obviously vetted beforehand and knew they were being recorded so their reactions weren't what a normal person's would be to having their phone taken away. Then all he has to do is sleight of hand, dropping their phone into the pocket of "duct taped" plastic on his back and tying a similar-looking phone to the balloons.

The magic backpack trick was still awful.

He claims on Reddit that the magic backpack is a practical stage effect he adapted for the park.

Ultimately, I think I'll be happier being ... forcefully naive? ... and believing him when he denies fuckery.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Franchescanado posted:

I loving love this movie. I saw it in the theaters when it was here for like 3 days. A mom brought in a large group of teenage girls. I guess they wanted to see the movie with their favorite Disney teen stars in it. They left right about when James Franco fellates a gun.

"Are you jacked for Jesus?!"

LOOK AT MY poo poo.

I love the scene where they describe how they robbed the restaurant. It's basically :stare: x 1million as you realize how hosed up those two women are.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 22, 2018

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

mystes posted:

Whether it's supposed to be a comedy, whether the people watching the tricks are actors, and whether the magic tricks are actual magic tricks or effects are all completely different issues.

Saying "it's clearly supposed to be funny so you shouldn't expect the tricks to be real" is completely stupid and disingenuous.

Well after my extensive research of watching the trailer and the first backpack trick, it looks to me like a Borat style mockumentary/piss take of magicians. The audience reaction of the phone trick seems to support this too. Hope that is clear enough.

Also, if you’re accusing me of being stupid, magic isn’t real, whether he’s serious or not these are all tricks - Netflix haven’t secured the rights to Gandalf.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He claims on Reddit that the magic backpack is a practical stage effect he adapted for the park.

Ultimately, I think I'll be happier being ... forcefully naive? ... and believing him when he denies fuckery.

Wait what... is he claiming that he’s a straight up David Blaine?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Weavered posted:

Well after my extensive research of watching the trailer and the first backpack trick, it looks to me like a Borat style mockumentary/piss take of magicians.

It is definitely not this.

The trick in episode 3 or 4 where he "turns a guy invisible" was legit great though. Yeah they used a fake floor, but that wasn't the real trick, the real trick was making someone believe they were invisible even though they know that's impossible and it was pretty fun.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Weavered posted:

Well after my extensive research of watching the trailer and the first backpack trick, it looks to me like a Borat style mockumentary/piss take of magicians. The audience reaction of the phone trick seems to support this too. Hope that is clear enough.
Okay, if you think it's supposed to be a parody that is making fun of magic shows by intentionally showing impossible tricks that couldn't be performed in real life, that sort of makes sense but you seem to be the only person who has come to that conclusion.

quote:

Also, if you’re accusing me of being stupid, magic isn’t real, whether he’s serious or not these are all tricks - Netflix haven’t secured the rights to Gandalf.
As should be obvious if you have been following this discussion, I mean real tricks (that could be performed in real life without editing or processing) not real magic (in the sense of fantasy novels) which is obviously nonsensical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just don't watch magic shows on TV because I think it's a bad medium for it.