Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Comparing lens price is kind of a myopic metric imo, Sony lenses aren't bad but I'll take Fuji glass any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
hopefully sony lenses are better than tamron lenses because i've decided my tamron 18-200 is trash and am going to buy the sony 18-200 to replace it

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
FE mount lenses can be best in class if you know about the range. The Sony 16-35mm GM, Loxia 21mm, Voigtlander 65mm macro, and Batis 135mm are tough to find contenders for, and the Sigma Art series coming to the system opens up a bunch of possibilities if you don't care about size and weight. The only glass I know of that could best the ones listed above are the top end manual Zeiss SLR lenses.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

strap on revenge posted:

hopefully sony lenses are better than tamron lenses because i've decided my tamron 18-200 is trash and am going to buy the sony 18-200 to replace it

no dont

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I didn't realize Rokinon make that many lens for APSC now. How is the 10mm 2.8 compare to the 12mm? I will wait for next ebay deal and get one.

strap on revenge posted:

It's a 10x zoom. It's basically a family holiday lens. Also Sony is a major share holder of Tamron.

tino fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 18, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I get your point about using the slower Sony equivalent to compare given the larger sensor, though as a 24-70 f/4 owner I have a feeling the Fuji 16-55 is a much less optically compromised lens. Don't get me wrong, I like mine for what it is and I probably use it the most, but I'll never love it.

That's kind of disappointing but not so suprising. The Zeiss badge only goes so far towards making the lens better, I guess :v:. I haven't read any reviews or looked into the performance of any Sony lenses in my list, except for the 55/1.8, Looking at photozone's imatest figures for the Sony 85/1.8 Zeiss 24-70, the former is outstanding near-perfect and the latter somewhat mediocre, but not really a whole lot worse than the Fuji 16-55. Then again, the Fuji 18-55 is rated about the same as well, and that makes it an awesome value as a kit zoom... as long as you can pick up a copy that isn't decentered as hell.

Ouhei posted:

Mostly accuracy and speed, I haven't tried using the tracking modes too much to complain about that. I don't mean to imply it's awful on the XT10, but the systems on the XT2 and XPro2 seem much improved.

Speed and tracking capability are great on my X-T2. Accuracy, at least with my 18-55 and 23/2 at moderate apertures, is not as good as my old Olympus OM-D, although the Oly could be very slow to focus with older Panasonic lenses. Besides the very occasional slight inaccuracy of focus (eg missing an eye for an ear) there is a more common (but still infrequent) tendency to "focus on nothing". On those occasions ,it seems to sit at the minimum focus distance, which throws the whole scene out of focus. With wide-angle lenses this can be hard to detect when you're shooting, even with the giant EVF. I hosed up what would have been some great pictures of my friends on a trip thanks to this issue. Enabling face detection has helped to mostly eliminate the chance of it happening again with people, at least.

quote:

I'm waffling between the two bodies as I've always loved the look of the Pro series and as a right eye shooter it would be nice to not smush my nose into the LCD all the time, OVF could be cool but I do dig how the EVF shows me exactly what my shot is going to be. XT2 has the better EVF and the flippy screen is useful on occasion.

If you're not going to shoot sports/wildlife with a long zoom ot do serious video stuff I'd go for the XPro. I miss the nose-sparing body design of my old a6000 and XE1. On a more subjective level, I think the OVF on the XPro is awesome and unique, and I think of the massive EVF in the X-T2 as a consolation prize for users who are sacrificing the OVF to make better use of telezooms and videography features.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 18, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Jimlad posted:

FE mount lenses can be best in class if you know about the range. The Sony 16-35mm GM, Loxia 21mm, Voigtlander 65mm macro, and Batis 135mm are tough to find contenders for, and the Sigma Art series coming to the system opens up a bunch of possibilities if you don't care about size and weight. The only glass I know of that could best the ones listed above are the top end manual Zeiss SLR lenses.
And if you have the money. The Sony 16-35mm GM is 2200 dollars - you can buy a brand new X-T2/ 16-55mm F2.8 or 10-24mm combo for the same amount. I'm sure the Loxia 21mm is outstanding, but that's 1500 dollars for a manual lens... If you seem yourself spending that kind of money, then Sony probably makes more sense anyway because you can share lenses with future A9/A7R bodies.

Honestly it seems kind of odd to even really compare the Sony E mount and Fuji X. I think its only that the most expensive Fuji (X-H1) was released close enough to the cheapest Sony (A7III) that people are going to compare the two as "I have 2k to spend on a quality mirrorless" options. Outside of that, they seem fairly different.

cheese fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 18, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The 12-24 is a better value than the 16-35, unless you really need that f/2.8. Only downside is that you need a filter adapter.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Couldn't agree more, don't buy Sony if you can't afford it. I'll go further and say only buy any camera if you can afford the camera system (i.e. body, lenses and accessories) because just budgeting for the body alone is nonsense.

Hopefully it's not too controversial a statement here to say that you can get better quality images from a good Sony setup vs a good Fuji setup, but you'll also pay a lot more for it. This also goes for basically all photography gear; you can buy a very decent setup for 5k, 1k, or $300 if you like, and you could get very good - even comparable - images with any of them in the right conditions. The concept of "value" isn't so clear when optical performance vs price is extremely non-linear and everyone's idea of "affordable" is inevitably different. Whatever setup you've justified to yourself is the "best value", I can beat in value with a $10 film system from a yard sale.

In my experience, get what you want that fits within your budget and don't worry so much about other people's concepts of "value".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Always spend money on quality glass over the body. The glass makes much much much more difference in IQ than the body.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

strap on revenge posted:

They're the same lens but different branding :ssh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Jimlad posted:

Hopefully it's not too controversial a statement here to say that you can get better quality images from a good Sony setup vs a good Fuji setup, but you'll also pay a lot more for it.

Better is the enemy of good enough. It's very easy to chase IQ for no actual gain in the quality of the work.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
maybe i should just got the 70-300 full frame lens instead. this one can't focus on anything more than 30 metres away between like 80-180 mm

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A follow-up on my Sony Zeiss 55mm repair debacle. So it took Sony nearly 3 months to repair its focusing issue and $488.00. Took the lens for a spin, and the problem hasn't been loving fixed.

Yeah. gently caress Sony. Never again. I don't mind paying a premium for good gear that has good service but this is total bullshit.

Jimlad posted:

Hopefully it's not too controversial a statement here to say that you can get better quality images from a good Sony setup vs a good Fuji setup, but you'll also pay a lot more for it.
I'm gonna chime in on this one and say- Sony might give slightly better IQ but only if you're a pixel-peeper. With Zeiss glass you're paying +20% more for a not-really-noticeable improvement in image quality. But as I'm finding out Sony's customer service/repair turnaround times are garbage. So it doesn't matter how "good" their image quality is if you can't reliably get your Sony gear serviced in a timely fashion. Because what good is a Sony lens if you don't have it in your hands? And apparently Fuji's customer service is better in every way- I'll sacrifice a small amount of image quality for having a working lens in my hands.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 19, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

melon cat posted:

A follow-up on my Sony Zeiss 55mm repair debacle. So it took Sony nearly 3 months to repair its focusing issue and $488.00. Took the lens for a spin, and the problem hasn't been loving fixed.

Yeah. gently caress Sony. Never again. I don't mind paying a premium for good gear that has good service but this is total bullshit.

I'm gonna chime in on this one and say- Sony might give slightly better IQ but only if you're a pixel-peeper. With Zeiss glass you're paying +20% more for a not-really-noticeable improvement in image quality. But as I'm finding out Sony's customer service/repair turnaround times are garbage. So it doesn't matter how "good" their image quality is if you can't reliably get your Sony gear serviced in a timely fashion. Because what good is a Sony lens if you don't have it in your hands? And apparently Fuji's customer service is better in every way- I'll sacrifice a small amount of image quality for having a working lens in my hands.
What the gently caress?! Its only a 900 dollar lens brand new. What is your recourse?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

What the gently caress?! Its only a 900 dollar lens brand new. What is your recourse?
Yeah, tell me about it. The repair bill was stupidly-high, and that's even after my retailer gave me a 20% discount off of the repair because of my service plan that I bought with the camera.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 11, 2024

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I wonder if Fuji is any better. I bought a third-party (Mack) warranty with my X-T2 kit and the best buy warranty with my 23/2..

In both cases, I've gotten decent service. Free replacement for a 23/2 that was decentered with hazy internal elements out of the box (although it did take a little bit of friendly convincing and I had to send it out for them to look at for a few weeks first). The xt-2 kit lens I got was also kind of lovely with a blob of unsharp rendering in the middle-left across the zoom range. Sent it in to Mack for that plus dirty internals. (I really believe that either Fuji or their retailers are restocking returned merchandise in new boxes... there's no 'freshness sealing' on the plastic bags inside the boxes so it'd be easy to do.) It came back after a month clean and with an extensive list of work done including stuff like 'replaced forth and sixth element groups' which was kind of impressive, but the zoom was sticky and the apparent centering was even worse. Sent it back again and a month and change later I get the lens back and all the issues are fixed.

So while the resolutions required some persistence, I ultimately got everything fixed at no additional cost to me (after the initial warranty purchase). Given the horror stories I've heard about camera company service departments (except Canon Pro Services), I think I'll be getting warranties on my future purchases of new gear. The ratio of decent to flawed new lenses I've purchased is about 1:1.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I've never needed to have my Fuji serviced, but Fujifilm Philippines offers free lens cleaning whenever they show up in photography expos (which is like bimonthly).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I wonder if Fuji is any better. I bought a third-party (Mack) warranty with my X-T2 kit and the best buy warranty with my 23/2..

In both cases, I've gotten decent service. Free replacement for a 23/2 that was decentered with hazy internal elements out of the box (although it did take a little bit of friendly convincing and I had to send it out for them to look at for a few weeks first). The xt-2 kit lens I got was also kind of lovely with a blob of unsharp rendering in the middle-left across the zoom range. Sent it in to Mack for that plus dirty internals. (I really believe that either Fuji or their retailers are restocking returned merchandise in new boxes... there's no 'freshness sealing' on the plastic bags inside the boxes so it'd be easy to do.) It came back after a month clean and with an extensive list of work done including stuff like 'replaced forth and sixth element groups' which was kind of impressive, but the zoom was sticky and the apparent centering was even worse. Sent it back again and a month and change later I get the lens back and all the issues are fixed.

So while the resolutions required some persistence, I ultimately got everything fixed at no additional cost to me (after the initial warranty purchase). Given the horror stories I've heard about camera company service departments (except Canon Pro Services), I think I'll be getting warranties on my future purchases of new gear. The ratio of decent to flawed new lenses I've purchased is about 1:1.

From everything I've read/seen on Fuji, they seem to be pretty good. Fuji in general is unique as I don't think anyone else releases firmware updates to years old products like they do. I hope they expand out the program they just started in Japan: https://www.fujirumors.com/in-japan-fujifilm-professional-service-costs-45-a-year-for-gfx-and-x-cameras-with-lots-of-benefits/ I would gladly pay $45/year for all of that and I'm no where near pro level.

I'm fairly settled on the XPro2 at this point, will probably order a body in the next few days as I see what's around. Still debating between the 14, 16 or 10-24 for my wide angle stuff, mostly between the 16 and 10-24 though. Pure utility and my love for ultra wide makes me want the 10-24, but the reviews on the 16 make it seem like such an incredible lens and I don't know if I truly need anything wider than 16mm outside of just liking the look of ultra wide shots.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The 16mm is so utterly fantastic. That being said, the 10-24 is super versatile and has OIS.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

The 16mm is so utterly fantastic. That being said, the 10-24 is super versatile and has OIS.

Yeah, there's positives to both, I might take my time figuring that out since I'm not in a huge rush. I found a nice copy of the X-Pro2 on ebay for $1,100 with all the original boxes and stuff, should have it at the end of the week. Once I have that I'll sell off the XT-10. Then probably order the 50mm f2, I'll sell the 18-55 once I figure out what I want to do for my wide angle.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

What's the focusing issue?

Lensrentals had some data on repair times from their rental fleet, but it's several years old at this point. At the time Sony was one of the better ones actually.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, there's positives to both, I might take my time figuring that out since I'm not in a huge rush. I found a nice copy of the X-Pro2 on ebay for $1,100 with all the original boxes and stuff, should have it at the end of the week. Once I have that I'll sell off the XT-10. Then probably order the 50mm f2, I'll sell the 18-55 once I figure out what I want to do for my wide angle.
I'd be really tempted to wait til after the X-T3 is announced in September, but I guess if you always wait you will never actually buy anything.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

powderific posted:

What's the focusing issue?

Lensrentals had some data on repair times from their rental fleet, but it's several years old at this point. At the time Sony was one of the better ones actually.

It's not focusing on any objects properly if the lens is set to wider than f2.8 (it's an f1.8). It looks like double-vision and produces a strange bokeh. And the Zeiss 55mm is notoriously sharp, so the difference is very noticeable.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 11, 2024

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I know it's not technically a mirorless ILC, but folks talk about the Fuji fixed-lens cameras in here so....

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-here-are-the-full-leaked-panasonic-lx100ii-specs-has-new-17-megapixel-multi-aspect-sensor/

The full specs for the LX100 II have dropped and, honestly, if I was buying right now, I'd probably have just bought this.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

GEMorris posted:

I know it's not technically a mirorless ILC, but folks talk about the Fuji fixed-lens cameras in here so....

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-here-are-the-full-leaked-panasonic-lx100ii-specs-has-new-17-megapixel-multi-aspect-sensor/

The full specs for the LX100 II have dropped and, honestly, if I was buying right now, I'd probably have just bought this.

Geez, it's about time. I wanted an LX100 ages ago, but was like "Surely this will be updated soon, so I should wait."

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

cheese posted:

I'd be really tempted to wait til after the X-T3 is announced in September, but I guess if you always wait you will never actually buy anything.

I thought about it, but after sifting through the rumors and debating body styling I decided I wanted the Rangefinder body, so I'd be waiting for the X-Pro3 instead so I just figured I'd pull the trigger.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

GEMorris posted:

I’m never gonna buy another non-weathersealed compact again, the Ricoh GR with its dust problems burned me pretty thoroughly.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
My dream camera is a “tough” one with a big sensor and no zoom. Sadly it will never happen.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I thought the LX100 was not popular because it was not "purist" enough. It probably would have sold more if it has a faster fixed lens.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The LX100 is the one Leica re-brands to be their "cheap" camera, yes?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Xabi posted:

My dream camera is a “tough” one with a big sensor and no zoom. Sadly it will never happen.

There's that waterproof Nikon mirrorless (has at least one prime lens), but I don't know that the sensor qualifies as 'big'.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I still wonder sometimes why Olympus hasn't tried to revive the XA as a m4/3 competitor to the X100 and other high end P&S cameras, its one of their most famous designs.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Yeah, it's strange. I'd buy that camera in an instant.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the digital version of the XA is your own phone, TBH.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Nikon Z6/Z7 photos leaked, and it's very a7 derivative. All I can think of is the gag in Futurama where "Z is better than A. In fact, is 25 better than A."

Good on them for actually making something, though. They're actually quite attractive looking and will have decent specs.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/21/another-set-of-leaked-nikon-z6-and-nikon-z7-mirrorless-camera-pictures.aspx/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
On the subject of Fuji service. I sent my x100f out 8/8 for dust on the sensor and some vague shutter button issues. It was returned today and they replaced the entire lens assembly and top plate under warranty.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

Nikon Z6/Z7 photos leaked, and it's very a7 derivative. All I can think of is the gag in Futurama where "Z is better than A. In fact, is 25 better than A."
So many buttons, switches and dials! Now I see why people call small Fujis "minimal." Using the exact same housing seems weird to me but they're going for a market I'm completely not a part of.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Good on them for actually making something, though. They're actually quite attractive looking and will have decent specs.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/21/another-set-of-leaked-nikon-z6-and-nikon-z7-mirrorless-camera-pictures.aspx/
Ya its definitely a7 inspired I guess. So far it sounds like the A7III equivalent, the Z6, is going to be a fair bit more expensive than the A7III at launch with obviously far fewer native lenses. I guess they really arn't all that worried about sony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It doesn't seem like there's a wide angle lens in the new Nikon lineup, so that's a big downer for me.

I'm currently rolling with an Olympus EM5 mk2 and 7-14 Pro lens. Rough plan is to wait until this supposed new Olympus that's going to be released early next year. If it's a good boost over the EM1 mk2, I'll upgrade to it. If not, I'll pick up a used/cheaper EM1 mk2. Hoping to be able to keep using the 7-14 lens.