Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
Continuing the Arkham discussion from the Television thread, I will honestly say that I liked Origins maybe as much as I liked City, or maybe a little less but definitely more than Knight. There was a lot of jankiness that bothered me, but I liked the story a lot. It was a pretty cool little story to have Batman hunted by a bunch of assassins on Christmas, the only thing I wish they had done is avoid making it a Joker story.

Also I'm a sucker for Christmas Batman.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

pubic works project posted:

If we don't get a new Ultimate Alliance game I'm going to be so lovely. Also, if Sony gets this potential game universe and not X-Box, I'll be even more lovely.

So I'm probably going to be REALLY lovely soon.

I mean, there's that multi-game deal with Square-Enix that we haven't heard anything from since the initial Avengers teaser.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, there's that multi-game deal with Square-Enix that we haven't heard anything from since the initial Avengers teaser.

Can't wait for it to turn out to be ANOTHER Kingdom Hearts sidestory where *insert anime OC here* visits the Marvel universe at some point.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

VolticSurge posted:

Can't wait for it to turn out to be ANOTHER Kingdom Hearts sidestory where *insert anime OC here* visits the Marvel universe at some point.

It's being done by the people from teams behind the recent Tomb Raiders and Deus Ex games. Apparently not everything Square Enix is actually Final Fantasy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, SE has Western studios.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hopefully there's some good early reviews for Spider-Man. I'm on the fence, but if I hear good things, I'll pre order last minute to get those costumes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If we don't get a new Ultimate Alliance game I'm going to be so lovely. Also, if Sony gets this potential game universe and not X-Box, I'll be even more lovely.

Sony first parties are some of the best in the industry (and the best in the industry is one of theirs) so that would be really good actually.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Spider-Man games normally have landmarks like that, don't they? I remember the Ultimate game had the Baxter Building, the Sanctum Sanctorum, and a Latverian embassy. I don't remember if Avengers Tower was in it, but I don't think so.

good day for a bris posted:

Continuing the Arkham discussion from the Television thread, I will honestly say that I liked Origins maybe as much as I liked City, or maybe a little less but definitely more than Knight. There was a lot of jankiness that bothered me, but I liked the story a lot. It was a pretty cool little story to have Batman hunted by a bunch of assassins on Christmas, the only thing I wish they had done is avoid making it a Joker story.

Also I'm a sucker for Christmas Batman.

Origins was pretty glitchy for me on console when I picked it up. I've never fallen through the floor so many times. Plus its really cool premise is betrayed. Plus I thought I was going to get Robin and he was relegated entirely to a multiplayer mode that nobody played evidenced by 3 hour queues. Origins is definitely an Arkham game and that brings a certain level of quality, but it's at the bottom clearly for me.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SonicRulez posted:

Spider-Man games normally have landmarks like that, don't they? I remember the Ultimate game had the Baxter Building, the Sanctum Sanctorum, and a Latverian embassy. I don't remember if Avengers Tower was in it, but I don't think so.

The Ultimate Alliance games? Yeah Avengers Tower was in it...or at least it might have been called Stark Tower.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, he means Ultimate Spider-Man. And no, no Avengers tower, because that's not in the Ultimate U. Avengers Tower WAS in Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate Arkham Origins so much for a ton of reasons. The stealth gameplay is weak and uninspired (though at least it's not as horribly simplified as in Knight), it's a flashback story so there's really no sense of stakes to anything, the map is dull and empty and tiny but still annoying to navigate, the boss battles are just QTE nightmares, but most of all, I loving hate the story. The previous two games sort of presented themselves as working on an established Batman continuity. Like they were vague about it, but Your Favorite Batman Story almost definitely happened before Asylum and City. Tim Drake Robin and Nightwing were established characters, The Killing Joke and Knightfall were openly referenced, they made overt references to the animated series... it was sort of this mix of the comics and the 90s animated series continuity that allowed them to basically go "You know this character, we're not gonna bore you with a recap". Really, Asylum was a Greatest Hits game.

City sort of started breaking that mold for the worse, but it did it in pretty small ways. Bottle-eye thuggish penguin, Hush getting an origin story in-game, Hugo Strange being treated as a new character, a couple of other things like that. And that game's main story was a drat mess, but overall it was still leaning on established canon for the most part. This was a Batman with a history, with a rogues' gallery that we could project past stories onto and that the writers could build upon. And they got so much of it right. Those taped interviews in both games show a deep understanding of what makes most of those characters tick.

But Origins? Well, the title says it all. It's an origin story. So we're throwing out the baby with the bat-water here. Suddenly these aren't the characters from the comics, they're adaptations of them. And the game still feels the need to keep the gimmick from the first two games of being set during one night, which was already really wearing thin during City. So all these villains show up For The Very First Time!!! on the same night, getting horribly truncated versions of their origins and first encounters with Batman, these mangled, boring cliff's notes versions of who they are. Bane gets it really bad, but nobody comes out unscathed from this hyper-convenient narrative and chronological compression. We can no longer project backstories from the comics onto the characters, all we have to go on is the really poorly written stuff the game throws at us. Everyone's just some nobody hired gun that Batman meets and defeats in maybe 10 minutes. Harley Quinn basically gets a 5 minute origin story, which is the worst part of the entire game. And of course we have the loving Joker at the center of it all, again, again, being at his most boring and uninteresting and overblown and overstated. They make such a huge loving deal about how special and smart and obsessed with Batman he is, even though they just met. The game can't shut the gently caress up about what a big deal this character is.

But the worst character mangling of all is Batman's. Both previous Arkham games lean heavily on Jerkbat, but considering all the poo poo that's going on and the fact that he's running ragged the whole time you kind of understand it. He's not super-likeable in either game, but he still feels like Batman. But in Origins, Batman's just starting out and he's already the most grizzled rear end in a top hat in the world, and he's constantly telling everyone to gently caress off and showing no hesitation about anything. Sure, there's an obvious arc going on where he's kind of overconfident and underestimates the Joker, but that arc doesn't work when he still easily defeats all his enemies with only a few minor setbacks. People go "Oh but he was sad when Alfred got beat up, that's an arc" but Alfred spent the entire game pointing out how reckless Batman was being and then nearly dies as a result of that recklessness, and Batman just punches him back to life and is like "Ok whatever I gotta go beat up the Joker again". That's not an arc, that's just continuing to be stubborn and angry and always succeeding. It's awful! I hate this Batman!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I just want them to package up all the old fighting games from the Vs. series (X-Men: COTA, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Street Fighter, and Marvel vs. Capcom 1-2).

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I have all of the Arkham games. They have never really gripped me. But for some reason I got totally hooked on Arkham Knight when I got it on sale last year.

This was the first game I've played to 100% in a looooong time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

:shrug:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah Asylum felt like it was kinda meant to straight up take place in the TAS continuity. Then there was a sliding scale of weirdly wanting to redo a lot of things I suppose. Hush, Strange, and a few other villains have oblique references in Arkham Asylum. Then once City came out everyone had to break out the headcanon and discontinuity to make things fit. It's strange to me because the City easter egg exists, so it's not like they didn't know there would be a sequel.

That analysis of Origins is spot on though. One of the quibbles I have in addition is that two of the assassins are completely optional content. You never even have to bother with Shiva and Deadshot. That's kinda silly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
In City Batman was an rear end in a top hat because yeah he was running ragged and slowly going insane while in Origins he's an rear end in a top hat because he's an overconfident newbie who still doesn't understand how to fight the people he's fighting

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hopefully there's some good early reviews for Spider-Man. I'm on the fence, but if I hear good things, I'll pre order last minute to get those costumes.

The really early previews have said that it has some holdovers of open world stuff that people have soured on, like collectibles and having to climb towers to unlock the map. And that they understand why QTEs are there, but nobody really likes QTEs now. Other than that they've enjoyed the web-swinging and combat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Calaveron posted:

In City Batman was an rear end in a top hat because yeah he was running ragged and slowly going insane while in Origins he's an rear end in a top hat because he's an overconfident newbie who still doesn't understand how to fight the people he's fighting

See, narratively speaking, if someone is a newbie and overconfident and fighting things they don't understand, you don't have them easily succeed and then make smug remarks.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I am the single one person that enjoyed Knight far more than all the others, including the batankmobile.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Samuringa posted:

I am the single one person that enjoyed Knight far more than all the others, including the batankmobile.

Me too man! I liked it alot.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Some people at Marvel have said that if Spider-Man does well, they're not opposed to maybe the idea of a loosely connected game universe. Probably not like on the scale of the MCU, but Avengers Tower and the Sanctum Sanctorum being in Spidey are good seeds.

Don’t know if it’s a reliable measure of future sales for the game en masse since it cold be just a bunch of Spidey nerds piling on but this seems to indicate it could do ok:
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/06/18/spider-man-collectors-edition-sold-out/

Samuringa posted:

I hated it for like the first 20 hours primarily because of the Batmobile then somehow ended up playing it for over another hundred with all the DLC and New Game+. It just turned into a decent game to casually grind to find Riddles and those AR Challenges with the 10 possible characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So, as a fun comic experience I've been reading through the old solo series of Batman's supporting cast (pre new 52) Cassandra Caine Batgirl, Nightwing, Tim Drake Robin. And I would love a game centered around one of those, you could probably even get Kevin Conroy again as Batman if it was limited to small cameos.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked all the Arkham games, but I think Origins and Knight are about on the same level for me where they're still good games, but they make some dumb decisions that drag them down to not as good as the others.

I hope we see another Batgame like them, but if I never see another Riddler Trophy it will be too soon.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Snap. Love the shot of the Sanctum Santorum there.

Are you sure it wasn't just some stray web fluid?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waffleman_ posted:

Nothing too major since SDCC. There was a new trailer showing off some of the open world stuff a few days ago, but this close to release, we're not gonna get many bombshells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEBp_F67_DI

Either that was JK Simmons, or somebody who channels him magnificently.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Either that was JK Simmons, or somebody who channels him magnificently.

I'm pretty sure it's him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm pretty sure it's him.

Nah, that sounds nothing like Simmons (Simmons' timbre is significantly deeper). It's a pretty good Jameson, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Each Arkham game is an Elseworlds game, very loosely connected together to the other ones.

There, I did it. I solved the continuity puzzle, in an extremely DC fashion.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1031867048719077376?s=19

Now this might be interesting

Not a Telltale game either.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/InkyPenComics/status/1031813226227486720

Inkypen is going to be available on the Switch. I'm not so sure the Switch handheld screen is exactly ideal for reading comics, but it's still neat.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Does anyone remember if the first Spider-Man game on the PS2 is any good? Also is the first Marvel Alliance any good?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bessantj posted:

Does anyone remember if the first Spider-Man game on the PS2 is any good? Also is the first Marvel Alliance any good?

I liked it quite a bit, although everyone typically hates how Spider-Man's weblines aren't attached to anything when he webswings.

Edit: "It" being the first Spider-Man game on the PS2, which was the game for the first movie.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 21, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

No idea about Spider-Man, but the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance is good, if probably a bit dated at this point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The first Spider-Man is okay but 2 is genre defining, infinitely better.

Ultimate Alliance just got a remaster if you're looking to play it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

bessantj posted:

The first Spiderman game on the PS2 would have been the movie tie in for the first movie right? Think that was supposed to be pretty bad.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is going to be pretty graphically dated at this point but it's still a decent little smash em up RPG through a variety of Marvel settings and characters. It's pretty funny looking at who got selected to be playable back before the MCU became a big thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

The first Spiderman game on the PS2 would have been the movie tie in for the first movie right? Think that was supposed to be pretty bad.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is going to be pretty graphically dated at this point but it's still a decent little smash em up RPG through a variety of Marvel settings and characters. It's pretty funny looking at who got selected to be playable back before the MCU became a big thing.

I think everyone who's had a movie was playable. But the initial team was based on New Avengers vol. 1 and the Bendis Secret War mini.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks. Yeah the Spider-Man game was the first movie tie in and I'm sure that I've played it but I don't remember it, just saw it in a shop today for £1 ($1.30). I've never played Marvel Ultimate Alliance but I think I'd read on this forum that one of them is good and one of them is bad. I saw the first one for £2.50 ($3.20) and they're probably both worth it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Thanks. Yeah the Spider-Man game was the first movie tie in and I'm sure that I've played it but I don't remember it, just saw it in a shop today for £1 ($1.30). I've never played Marvel Ultimate Alliance but I think I'd read on this forum that one of them is good and one of them is bad. I saw the first one for £2.50 ($3.20) and they're probably both worth it.

Both Ultimate Alliances are decent enough, but the first one is definitely better, and all the characters have 4 costumes instead of 2 in the sequel.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Do the X-Men have Claremont bondage costumes? I need Professor X with nipples out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The first Spider-Man movie game is worth $1 for the Bruce Campbell narrated tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I think everyone who's had a movie was playable. But the initial team was based on New Avengers vol. 1 and the Bendis Secret War mini.

Yeah it's no big deal I just meant they gave Elektra top billing (think she's on the cover of the game with Cap, Spiderman, Thor etc) and then had Black Panther be an unlockable, Moon Knight and Colossus were Xbox 360 exclusives, there was no playable Punisher, Scarlet Witch, Vision, etc. Just sort of amusing in hindsight who they made main characters and who didn't rate at the time. Doctor Doom being the main villain and the F4 being in it at all definitely wouldn't have happened if it had been made between 2012 and 2018 either.