Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Do you guys feel like there's more KS campaigns in the first half of the year than the latter? Like, from about February to June, I backed several and there were a few I wanted but didn't and you got a decent steady flow, but since then it feels like they've mostly dropped off. Like, I'm looking now and there's almost nothing that catches my eye.

kickstarting later in the year means you have to pay the taxes on the money sooner in america, and you have less time to do things with that money that could get you tax breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Another shameless plug from me: Our Kickstarter for Radiant:Offline Battle Arena is nearing its final hours, just about two and a half days left to go. If heroes punching other heroes to force a deity to appear and consequently also get punched is your thing, I hope you'll give us a look!

We've funded, and everyone's getting some alt arts (Polar Bear Bran has proven popular) and some cards to make drafting easier, but honestly the expansion is the only stretch goal I really want to see unlocked. The game really opens up with 12 heroes, and I especially enjoy playing with both the Sumo Wrestler and the Phoenix heroes from that expansion, which we demo'd at GenCon.

Also, thanks again to the thread for the Kickstarter page advice! I believe implementing the changes made a difference! :)

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 21, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Seconded on the Radiant expansion, I've got my fingers crossed for it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've been putting together my kickstarter page for Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer, going live on Sept. 10. I would love any feedback you all have on the page. (it's still in progress but at a pretty good state for feedback I think)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/1822999076?ref=556579&token=1ea52b8a

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You mention AI hives a couple of times. Actually AI, like, through an app? Or just one playing with cards?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm somewhat confused by the subtitle being 'we only know summer' and then the game taking place over a full year.

I mean I get that it's the lifespan of a bee, but it's a weird juxtaposition.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

The_Doctor posted:

You mention AI hives a couple of times. Actually AI, like, through an app? Or just one playing with cards?

There is a card with a list of actions you go down and take the first one that applies. I can clarify if you think that would help.

graventy posted:

I'm somewhat confused by the subtitle being 'we only know summer' and then the game taking place over a full year.

I mean I get that it's the lifespan of a bee, but it's a weird juxtaposition.

Should I explain the title? It would go something like this:

"The game is titled We Will Only Know Summer to honor those bees that spend their entire lives working through the difficult summer months. A bee's adult life only lasts around 30 days in the working months, and all these summer bees will know is scarce forage, hot and humid temps, and the robbing of their neighbors. It is for these bees I chose the title."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Impermanent posted:

kickstarting later in the year means you have to pay the taxes on the money sooner in america, and you have less time to do things with that money that could get you tax breaks.

Plus a project in late summer or fall gives you less time to get things done before the Chinese factories take the extended new year break.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiny Epic Zombies is shipping two months early.

Just got the pledge manager for Crusader Kings as well, good times. Late orders are available through the pledge manager if anyone wants the link.

logocentric
May 7, 2017

Lurker
ROBA just crossed the 48 hour mark so the final sprint is officially on!

Ohnospooky is too humble, even when he's being shameless, so I've gotta be shameless for him - because these playmat designs that he did are really gorgeous.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

nesbit37 posted:

I've been putting together my kickstarter page for Bee Lives: We Will Only Know Summer, going live on Sept. 10. I would love any feedback you all have on the page. (it's still in progress but at a pretty good state for feedback I think)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/1822999076?ref=556579&token=1ea52b8a

quote:

Occasionally the season cards place overheating in effect which will require you to take the cool hive action in order to gain new workers that much
I think you meant "month" here

quote:

Once everyone has assigned actions to all of their workers its time to bring your bees home and feed them.
You need "it's" rather than "its"

quote:

the modular map ensures that no 2 games of Bee Lives will be the same.
Spell out two here

Overall, I think the page is structured well. I'm sure there are more minor corrections like this that a professional editor would catch, but none of the problems are anywhere near the level I've seen from the trainwreck kickstarters that sometimes get posted here. I have some friends who are very interested in bees and beekeeping, I'll be sure to pass the word onto them for when the campaign launches.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Bees are neat, and that's a poignant title. You've got my attention.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Kaza42 posted:

fixes

Overall, I think the page is structured well. I'm sure there are more minor corrections like this that a professional editor would catch, but none of the problems are anywhere near the level I've seen from the trainwreck kickstarters that sometimes get posted here. I have some friends who are very interested in bees and beekeeping, I'll be sure to pass the word onto them for when the campaign launches.

All corrected, thanks!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

This one looks better than some of the others. Looking forward to trip reports. Hopefully it's a good version of ZOMBIIIIIEEESS!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

djfooboo posted:

This one looks better than some of the others. Looking forward to trip reports. Hopefully it's a good version of ZOMBIIIIIEEESS!

Like hoping for an edible version of poop.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Like hoping for an edible version of poop.

All poop is edible with the right mindset.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Poop: Pre-digested for your convenience!

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Evil Hat is publishing Channel A, launching with a Kickstarter!

Way back in 2012 I designed a party game where you pitch anime series by putting together titles from words on cards. Asmadi Games picked it up and published it in 2013, and it eventually sold out and went out of print, and they weren't able to get it back in print. Since Fred Hicks was a fan of the game and had been bugging Asmadi about how to get a copy for a while, I eventually found myself exchanging emails with him about the possibility of Evil Hat picking up the game. Fast-forward a surprisingly small number of months, and Evil Hat is doing a Kickstarter for a new edition of Channel A with more cards, plus new expansions as stretch goals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Getting a bit salty about the whole Mint Works fiasco. Apparently they didn't think to have ANY extra copies on hand for replacements, so I have to wait for the next slow boat from China to get the copy I pledged for.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 22, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ewen Cluney posted:

Evil Hat is publishing Channel A, launching with a Kickstarter!

Way back in 2012 I designed a party game where you pitch anime series by putting together titles from words on cards. Asmadi Games picked it up and published it in 2013, and it eventually sold out and went out of print, and they weren't able to get it back in print. Since Fred Hicks was a fan of the game and had been bugging Asmadi about how to get a copy for a while, I eventually found myself exchanging emails with him about the possibility of Evil Hat picking up the game. Fast-forward a surprisingly small number of months, and Evil Hat is doing a Kickstarter for a new edition of Channel A with more cards, plus new expansions as stretch goals.

I KS'd an original copy of this, but it got water damaged after a car wreck. Most of the cards are still 100% okay, but the box is ruined.

I'm moderately excited about this though, even if I don't play too many party games and when people play it, they don't do the thing where the whole table votes.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

jivjov posted:

Getting a bit salty about the whole Mint Works fiasco. Apparently they didn't think to have ANY extra could es for replacements, so I have to wait for the next slow boat from China to get the copy I pledged for.

I don't even have a response to my inquiry yet :v

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jedit posted:

Just got the pledge manager for Crusader Kings as well, good times. Late orders are available through the pledge manager if anyone wants the link.

I'm just trying to get my email, still nothing from them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

I'm just trying to get my email, still nothing from them.

From who, Gamelyn or the CK people?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Jedit posted:

From who, Gamelyn or the CK people?

The ck people. They still haven't answered my support email either!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
. Dammit

logocentric
May 7, 2017

Lurker
One final shameless plug for ROBA:

<shamelessplug>

The campaign is - at time of writing - a little over 4 hours out from completion, is 183% funded and has unlocked all of its stretch goals. Now I'm just being petulant and really, really want to get to 600 backers before we finish.

Did you know we were recently featured as Geek and Sundry's Kickstarter of the Week? We were! And they said some very nice things about us.

You can check out the kickstarter right... HERE!

</shamelessplug>

That's that done. Now I am ready to retire from my life as a bit player in Glengarry Glenross. Huzzah!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

The ck people. They still haven't answered my support email either!

Odd, Fria Lagan has been responding to me.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So I recently got my game Dead in the West funded. You should check it out - support has been really strong and I've been getting great feedback from folks (if anyone is interested, you can pre-order a copy and download a Quickstart Guide here[).

However, I'm having a bit of a problem at the minute. One of my artists during the campaign was great at hyping up the project - she posted it to her twitter and drummed up quite a bit of interest. Now that it's underway, however, she seldom ever replies to my emails and have only completed one rough sketch for artwork to be featured in the book. She said she's having some family trouble, but her contract did stipulate she would get a piece done within a month of the request going through. It's been close to two now, and several of my emails have just gone unanswered.

She submitted one piece almost immediately after the campaign was funded, but after she got paid she's gone almost totally MIA. I am not experienced being a boss or haveing to be an rear end in a top hat to someone, so I'm not sure how exactly to handle this situation. Anyone have any advice?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Calico Heart posted:

She submitted one piece almost immediately after the campaign was funded, but after she got paid she's gone almost totally MIA. I am not experienced being a boss or haveing to be an rear end in a top hat to someone, so I'm not sure how exactly to handle this situation. Anyone have any advice?

I haven’t hired artists, but I’ve definitely hired flaky contractors before.

I would generally write something like this:

- Hi, Sally. I hope things have been improving for you and your family.
- Really appreciate your enthusiasm for the project
- I’m in a hard spot: I need to move forward with the project, but the art we agreed on hasn’t arrived, and I haven’t heard back from my last emails
- I’d really like to work with you, but if I haven’t heard back by $date and received the completed art by $date, I’ll need to find another artist to do the work
- let me know if there’s something I can do to help

More or less softening fluff depending on previous correspondence.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t hired artists, but I’ve definitely hired flaky contractors before.

I would generally write something like this:

- Hi, Sally. I hope things have been improving for you and your family.
- Really appreciate your enthusiasm for the project
- I’m in a hard spot: I need to move forward with the project, but the art we agreed on hasn’t arrived, and I haven’t heard back from my last emails
- I’d really like to work with you, but if I haven’t heard back by $date and received the completed art by $date, I’ll need to find another artist to do the work
- let me know if there’s something I can do to help

More or less softening fluff depending on previous correspondence.

Yeah, this looks good. Also, sounds like she's in breach of contract? Getting the money back is probably more effort than it's worth but if funds are tight something like small claims court may be a thing to consider, as I seem to recall you're UK-based.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Flavivirus posted:

Yeah, this looks good. Also, sounds like she's in breach of contract? Getting the money back is probably more effort than it's worth but if funds are tight something like small claims court may be a thing to consider, as I seem to recall you're UK-based.

Indeed I am, but she's in the States, hence the massive pain I would assume this all is - and thanks Subjunctive, that's a good outline. Actually came here to delete that comment as I realised me being a dumb stooge who don't know how to ask for stuff is only tangentially tabletop-related

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
No worries, come over to the industry thread if you want to chat RPG production woes!

Also, Legacy - The Next World funded today! If you’d like to hear details of our new stretch goals, including reference card decks, art posted and pay rises for writers, head on over to this here update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549920133/legacy-life-among-the-ruins-the-next-world/posts/2270469

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
War of the Cross has been killed. Again.

http://johnwickpresents.com/updates/war-of-the-cross-suspended/

tl;dr oh poo poo turns out our funding goal isn't actually enough to make the game any good!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

dwarf74 posted:

War of the Cross has been killed. Again.

http://johnwickpresents.com/updates/war-of-the-cross-suspended/

tl;dr oh poo poo turns out our funding goal isn't actually enough to make the game any good!

Fishing for the "stretch goals" for components that they already intend in the game? That fake first goal can screw you

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I really don't understand the whole "lowballing KS goals/gating intended content behind stretch goals" thing, especially in 2018, when I feel like a lot of tradgames Kickstarter backers are pretty savvy about this sort of thing. Is the idea that getting "funded" early will build momentum for the campaign faster than if you wait to be funded for your real production costs? Normally I'd assume people planning on taking the money and running, but that doesn't jibe with the funded Kickstarter being cancelled.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the idea is that it keeps people involved and more likely to raise their pledges if you send them an update every other day. And stretch goals are a good excuse to do that

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Antivehicular posted:

I really don't understand the whole "lowballing KS goals/gating intended content behind stretch goals" thing, especially in 2018, when I feel like a lot of tradgames Kickstarter backers are pretty savvy about this sort of thing. Is the idea that getting "funded" early will build momentum for the campaign faster than if you wait to be funded for your real production costs? Normally I'd assume people planning on taking the money and running, but that doesn't jibe with the funded Kickstarter being cancelled.

Funded in 2 hours!!!! Its a big headline to plaster/tweet so on yeah

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly people keep doing it because it keeps working. FOMO is a real motivator in this hobby

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bombadilillo posted:

Funded in 2 hours!!!! Its a big headline to plaster/tweet so on yeah

It's this more than FOMO. A Kickstarter that hits its funding goal earlier seems more successful even if "hitting your funding goal" isn't correlated with KS success at all. You can kind of understand it, someone who sees a Kickstarter that's only half funded may think to themselves "eh, I'll wait and see if it funds" before throwing their money into it while the same person seeing a successfully funded KS may "impulse purchase" a pledge. People like backing a winner.

e; also as savvy as tradgame KS backers may be compared to other demographics, I'm confident that most people backing Kickstarters still don't really understand the economics and logistics of producing and publishing a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm still not convinced the average Kickstarter runner understands those things.