Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I also turn subtitles on for shows already in English, so im sort of a crazy person

Same but English isn't my first language so maybe that figures into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mill Village posted:

Is this like the old chat threads? Can I post fan art and all that? The new chat thread got deleted.

This is the reboot. The other thread was merely the pulpit of a false prophet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Meme Emulator posted:

I also turn subtitles on for shows already in English, so im sort of a crazy person

back in the mid 00s just out of high-school I completely plugged out of spoken english for like 3-4 years, while still reading tons of it daily. then i started watching i think house and needed subtitles for the first few weeks because i couldn't understand poo poo!!

languages are really weird.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where did Anime Thread 21 go?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

I still do this sometimes as well.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Grouchio posted:

Where did Anime Thread 21 go?

Author 21 Chat Threads and number them 1-20 and 22. Then watch all the forum posters lose thier minds.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Droyer posted:

Its my first language I just dont like to have the audio blasting when I watch TV and this lets me keep it a little quieter

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I find that the animes I've seen so far, the dubs were good, and I don't really like reading subtitles. Also, sometimes subtitles are really hard to read (white on white). Also, I tend to do things while I watch stuff, like play not too attention-getting video games.

Sometimes I'll go back and watch a movie again with subtitles with Janapense audio, or Dub and Sub to compare the two.

I think the only time I switched from dub to sub I can remember is Neon Genesis. I found one of the character voices (Misato?) really annoying. (Actually, might have been the other way around?)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyObliqueTubersDBstyle

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Foolster41 posted:

I find that the animes I've seen so far, the dubs were good, and I don't really like reading subtitles. Also, sometimes subtitles are really hard to read (white on white). Also, I tend to do things while I watch stuff, like play not too attention-getting video games.

Sometimes I'll go back and watch a movie again with subtitles with Janapense audio, or Dub and Sub to compare the two.

I think the only time I switched from dub to sub I can remember is Neon Genesis. I found one of the character voices (Misato?) really annoying. (Actually, might have been the other way around?)

Interestingly enough, this right here is why I prefer subs. I like to be forced to give the anime my full attention. I'll find myself multitasking with dubs and before I know it, I only halfway know whats going on.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Okay.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hellsing ultimate has a really good dub

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I cant really understand watching something and then doing something else beyond like, watching Fraiser while cleaning or playing Pokemon.

Watching things in the original language is always a plus for me, I spent like ten minutes trying to find out if this movie I was watching was originally in Hindi or Tamil cause I didn't want to watch a dubbed version.

Also repeating lines you just heard in a different language like you're a parrot is a fun learning exercise

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHLpTke24AU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is now the Jolene Discussion Thread

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hell yeah gorf likes jojo

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The singer and jolene should dump the dude and get together imho

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I cant really understand watching something and then doing something else beyond like, watching Fraiser while cleaning or playing Pokemon.

I can get this with like podcasts or a stream for background noise, but shows are across the threshold of like, I’d like to actually sit down and pay attention to this

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Expect My Mom posted:

I do this all the time with Parts Unknown for some reason. It's just nice to have Anthony Bourdain's sultry voice in the background.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Truga posted:

just take a couple weekends off gaming and learn japanese, how hard could it be!

*still can't kanji 15 years later*

I've honestly made peace with the fact that I'll always be quasi-illiterate in japanese

I'd still like to be able to speak it, or at least be able to understand enough spoken japanese to listen to subbed anime in the background while I work on stuff or w/e

but gently caress me if I'm ever gonna learn enough kanji to actually read or write anything of value

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

RME posted:

Don’t let strange quark see this

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hello everyone, how are you enjoying today in this anime thread of mine?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

noether posted:

but gently caress me if I'm ever gonna learn enough kanji to actually read or write anything of value

i've slowly been working my way through https://www.wanikani.com/ for the last couple of years, and it's the first thing that made kanji i don't read regularly finally stick. it also costs money so if you're not too interested in learning it's probably not worth it. there's a demo of the first few levels though. e: also, they make up weirdass radicals to help their way of learning but if you already know a bunch of kanji it just throws you off :v:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

noether posted:

I've honestly made peace with the fact that I'll always be quasi-illiterate in japanese

I'd still like to be able to speak it, or at least be able to understand enough spoken japanese to listen to subbed anime in the background while I work on stuff or w/e

Im the opposite, I studied for years but I have mushmouth when speaking English so my Japanese was atrocious. Read and writing was always the one part I really enjoyed though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
i'm very much subs only but not just for anime, i do that with most anything that gives me the option. also i sometimes will turn on captions for things in english because sound balance is bad sometimes and i don't want to turn it up to hear soft dialogue then be deafened by loud sound effects (or possibly i'm just getting old and slowly going deaf idk)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

i'm very much subs only but not just for anime, i do that with most anything that gives me the option. also i sometimes will turn on captions for things in english because sound balance is bad sometimes and i don't want to turn it up to hear soft dialogue then be deafened by loud sound effects (or possibly i'm just getting old and slowly going deaf idk)

Subtitles on always even when I dont need them.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’ve put subtitles on in Netflix when the audio balance was absolutely hosed for a movie

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

noether posted:

Hello noether, I do speak/write Japanese on the "Hey, aside from the goofy accent, your Japanese isn't completely terrible!" level. While different teachers/people have different methods to teaching/self-teaching, at the end of the day it's all about sticking with whatever method you've chosen. Unfortunately that sometimes tends to discourage you and I know it's hard, but trust me, if you stick to that goal of trying to speak/understand spoken Japanese and make smaller goals, you'll get there. :)

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHsUfuFVRSQ
Baccano has a really good english dub, y'all

I like the Latin American dubs from 90s era a lot since they put some effort into the voice acting, and there was maybe two studios so you heard the same voice actors on every show. This COULD be nostalgia speaking.

One thing's for certain though, getting ES dubbed versions of JP openings is much better than the atrocities committed by EN studios of the time, like the American DBZ opening or the Digimon opening.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNOue52khbU&hd=1

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

my buddy Superfly posted:

Hello everyone, how are you enjoying today in this anime thread of mine?

I can't forget my good buddy superfly

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Oh goodness :lol:

this is really well-made. I hate it

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Truga posted:

i've slowly been working my way through https://www.wanikani.com/ for the last couple of years, and it's the first thing that made kanji i don't read regularly finally stick. it also costs money so if you're not too interested in learning it's probably not worth it. there's a demo of the first few levels though. e: also, they make up weirdass radicals to help their way of learning but if you already know a bunch of kanji it just throws you off :v:

wanikani is great, i managed to pick up a lot of kanji reading ability that way!

though i let myself down by not studying grammar at the same time and thus not having a useful context to use the kanji in. keeping up with solo language study is a really difficult proposition <_>

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

One thing's for certain though, getting ES dubbed versions of JP openings is much better than the atrocities committed by EN studios of the time, like the American DBZ opening or the Digimon opening.

Hell yeah!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36POYpOigE8&t=162s

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phimose Knight posted:

Baccano has a really good english dub, y'all

I like the Latin American dubs from 90s era a lot since they put some effort into the voice acting, and there was maybe two studios so you heard the same voice actors on every show. This COULD be nostalgia speaking.

Now we're talking! :dance:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kytt5lO0VKk&t=725s

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

My family used to visit my grandmother's house in Mexico City a lot, and while there I'd be catching the latino dub for DBZ confusing the poo poo out of myself cause they were up to the Buu saga or something while we were still stuck on Namek in the states.

Perfect.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 22, 2018

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Watching a "new" anime with spanish dub is breaking my brain but Kobayashi is good no matter the language.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Sharkopath posted:

Subtitles on always even when I dont need them.
this

finding a partner who also did this and didn't think it was weird and didn't use them was wonderful

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Truga posted:

esselfortium posted:

wanikani is great, i managed to pick up a lot of kanji reading ability that way!

though i let myself down by not studying grammar at the same time and thus not having a useful context to use the kanji in. keeping up with solo language study is a really difficult proposition <_>
I've been looking for a better kanji learning platform than just sitting down with a kanji dictionary, so I might check this out! Is there any aspect of using them in sentences or sentence structure or is just reading focused?