Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks, I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nobody is saying that the faiths and their tenets are identical, that's patently absurd without even getting into various sectarian differences. But by the same token it's absurd to deny the Abrahamic faiths have anything in common, and I provided sources from a few people far better qualified than me who agree that if nothing else, it's ultimately the same God.

(Comedy answer: Muslims obviously believe in the Moon God.)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dutton just released full legal advice that he is eligible anyone got a copy?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

asio posted:

The difference may seem small but on further investigation the implications of the event surrounding the execution of Jesus of Nazareth is what makes the difference. These links you have shared are a literary, not theological reading of the differences. I have already spoken of the Nicene Creed as an example. Christians believe Jesus is God. Muslims believe he is a prophet. Jews reject both interpretations of Jesus. The crucifixion is where the huge gulf of difference lies. These texts you have shared do not address this issue. They look to literary descriptions; what "type" of God God is. This is not the same as describing the nature of God. If Jesus was a prophet, as the Muslims claim, then he is committing heresy against Allah when he says "No one may come to the Father except through me". As already pointed out, Sunni Islam teaches righteousness comes from good deeds and following the Five Pillars. This is in complete contradiction to the protestant doctrine of salvation by faith, or more broadly, of the "fallen nature" of humans.

The similarity between the religions as pointed out in your links are not actually religious. The "common theme" of the nature of God as argued in these links is what all people have inside them. C S Lewis called this the "Moral Law"; the thing inside us telling us to hold to what is good and to reject what is evil. Simply listing a number of attributes that any reasonable human would accept is righteous does not a theological agreement make.

I think I'll side with the studied opinion of the multiple professors of religion previously cited, thanks

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

Is it signed by Michael Cohen

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Peter Dutton has just arranged a media event for 10 minutes' time.

Is he going to pull his 35 and split for a new election?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
What the gently caress was that weak poo poo dutton

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

aejix posted:

What the gently caress was that weak poo poo dutton

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Shortest presser ever.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Peter's behaviour is very strange

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Rob_Stott/status/1032126942609256448?s=19

:auspol:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

aejix posted:

Adam bandt on ABC loving unloading with both barrels

Yeah I’m a Greens Dude but White Lawyer Man from the party that lost several senators due to ineligibility issues doesn’t have a loving leg to stand on.

Also, must be tough for The Glorious Greens Party to keep all its lower house members in line. Oh wait. He’s the sole loving one.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Dude McAwesome posted:

Yeah I’m a Greens Dude but White Lawyer Man from the party that lost several senators due to ineligibility issues doesn’t have a loving leg to stand on.

Also, must be tough for The Glorious Greens Party to keep all its lower house members in line. Oh wait. He’s the sole loving one.

Show me on this doll where the Greens member touched you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why would Dutton ask for a spill without showing Malcolm his petition?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Yeah, but it's just advice. The only opinion that matters in this is the High Court's, and that's where the lawyers will argue.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2015/02/04/julia-gillard-rushed-hospital-after-overdosing-schadenfreude

Old but good

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
is this poo poo on or what?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'm just loving this week.

I'd die laughing if Dutton becomes PM, only to be thwarted by section 44, and the Libs have to choose a new leader (ScoMo, or for full comedy points, Turnbull again).

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

The Before Times posted:

I'm just loving this week.

I'd die laughing if Dutton becomes PM, only to be thwarted by section 44, and the Libs have to choose a new leader (ScoMo, or for full comedy points, Turnbull again).

You might want to get your will updated and end of life preferences updated, then.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Intoluene posted:

Show me on this doll where the Greens member touched you.

I dono if you intended for that to be a reference but well done.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Whitlam posted:

You might want to get your will updated and end of life preferences updated, then.

jokes on u, I was referring to la petite mort

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If Dutton gets thwarted by s44 I think they will just call a snap election.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dutton's trying to bluff his way into a second spill and Turnbull's having none of it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

THE NUMBERS THE NUMBERS THE NUMBERS THE NUMBERS

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What's the point of resigning from the frontbench if Turnbull hangs on to power? What's the end goal?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

Who bought van badham an account

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

canberra rolls everyone around me c.r.e.a.m. get the numbers, dutton dutton spill y'all

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

I dono if you intended for that to be a reference but well done.

I think you'll find that I rarely know what I'm talking about.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Mr Dutton’s legal advice (posted below) is dated December 4, 2017. The changes to law, which could make Mr Dutton ineligible to sit in Parliament, were brought into effect on July 2, 2018.

Constitutional law expert Anne Twomey, from the University of Sydney, writes in The Conversation: “Dutton, as recorded in the parliamentary register of interests, is the beneficiary of a discretionary family trust.”

“The allegation is that since July 2, 2018, the trust, through its childcare centres, has agreements with the public service to provide childcare services in exchange for childcare subsidies.

“Dutton may argue the childcare centres merely receive the subsidy on behalf of the parents and do not have an agreement with the public service. But if it is found there is such an agreement, it would appear Dutton has a beneficial interest in a trust that has an agreement with the public service, potentially triggering the application of s 44(v).”

Federal Labor is pushing for a parliamentary inquiry into Mr Dutton’s decision to intervene and grant visas to two foreign au pairs in 2015.

Opposition senator Louise Pratt will try to refer the matter to the upper house’s legal and constitutional affairs committee on Thursday, as Mr Dutton ramps up his bid to challenge Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

If the Senate votes to refer the matter, the inquiry will look into allegations concerning the inappropriate exercise of ministerial powers and report by September 11.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Giant meteor for Canberra. Make it happen.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I literally can't keep up, I just have the abc Facebook message bot attempting to keep me in the loop but it's all very confusing. Try to decipher politics when your mental health is trashed is hard.

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008
The roof is on fire! (More like the whole building at this stage, it just hasn't gotten to the fuel tanks yet)

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Giant meteor for Canberra. Make it happen.

I'd vote for Giant Meteor. I believe in his flatten earth policy.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Whitlam posted:

Nobody is saying that the faiths and their tenets are identical, that's patently absurd without even getting into various sectarian differences. But by the same token it's absurd to deny the Abrahamic faiths have anything in common, and I provided sources from a few people far better qualified than me who agree that if nothing else, it's ultimately the same God.

(Comedy answer: Muslims obviously believe in the Moon God.)

It's not that they don't all have things in the past which are common, but the conclusions reached today are different, and are so different, that to try and make them the same for the sake of (???) runs into religious discrimination. It's like saying Australia is the same as the UK because once upon a time we shared the same national objectives.

iajanus posted:

I think I'll side with the studied opinion of the multiple professors of religion previously cited, thanks

Climate change isn't real because I found a dissenting opinion that agrees with me. Or another way: I have a medical illness, so I went to see a plumber for a cure. Please don't fall under the assumption that this is a new argument. There have been many attempts to reconcile the different ideas of how God has been revealed to humans. The differences between the religions is the result and are also the sources available that support my argument. However, since you were so good as to ask:

First council of Nicaea (specifically, "homousias" to describe the relationship between Father and Son) : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

Islam's rejection of the death and resurrection and the absence of Pentecost (and therefore the Trinity) : https://www.islam-guide.com/ch3-10.htm

Yes, there are different religions that share primary sources. No, this does not mean it is the same God.

I am also concerned that this attempt to make all religions the same comes from a place counter to the ideals of a cooperative society. Much has been made of the benefits of allowing people to define themselves. If one is to argue against one type of discrimination against Muslims (in this case, using it as a vehicle for racist dog-whistling), it seems counterproductive to discriminate against Islam in another way (that their religion is for naught). To say Islam is the same as Christianity seems to me another way of telling new Australians to "integrate" (whatever that means).

If this is not the case then all I am left with is the impression that your (and others) argument is coming from an ideological position, evangelising a religion (or none at all) other than Islam, Christianity or Judaism, which is a different discussion entirely.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
ABC reporting Sarah Henderson whoever that is was offered a ministeral portfolio if she switched to Dutton . She said no.

ABC also reports Dutton camp has 27 signatures on paper.

Channel 7 with David Kosh reports Dutton camp ready to roll Turnbull.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 23, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

This spill business has lead to me hearing Dutton and Abetz speak far too many times this morning. Down with :auspol:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Its happening.

Dutton has the numbers is being spread via various sources.

Cormann, Cash and Fifield are in the PMO delivering the news to Turnbull.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

asio posted:

Climate change isn't real because I found a dissenting opinion that agrees with me. Or another way: I have a medical illness, so I went to see a plumber for a cure

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if you want to draw comparisons to climate change, you're the one posting random webpages in response to someone else citing academic sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

asio posted:

poo poo

Yeah not a current event even tangentially. Please take this derail the gently caress out of here.

• Locked thread