Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Oh I actually did advise him to tell the agency first. I spent an entire day telling him. He kept insisting it's not a conflict.

Also, I'm loving glad I murdered him I got a fan.

It’s called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal. You dont have a fan. But if you say bad things about somebody, if you make up stories.
They make up things and now they go from no fan to having a fan and they are a national hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

It’s called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal. You dont have a fan. But if you say bad things about somebody, if you make up stories.
They make up things and now they go from no fan to having a fan and they are a national hero.

what

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The president talking about Michael Cohen.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Fans in Texas have max value from March to November.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

GDPR sucks and one of the tertiary reasons I left work was that I knew that I'd be the one to have to draft data protection documents for whenever we advise someone from the EU, which was like 3/4 of our work

This poo poo is loving ridiculous, I have to make a mile wide paper trail of information security compliance even though I by criminal law and attourney ethics am obligated to never give out any loving information at all as a basic function of my work. Oh I have to pinkie swear I won't sell my client's tax return to google on this here 45 page disclaimer? Well good, that certainly stops me from doing something that I'd be in prison for a year over.

The absolute idiocy and draconic loving bullshit way this is implemented is mind-boggling. Particularly since at the same time, money laundering laws just tightened up and I'm not only now legally required to retain incredible amounts of personal and financial information for ages and give them up to the government at the drop of a hat but also at the same time I'm completely disallowed to do those things and obligated to delete this information upon request.

It's just :psyduck: all around.

Also

blarzgh posted:

HDD Did Nothing Wrong

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Fans in Texas have max value from March to November.

Especially central/SE texas where you get gulf humidity to boot. At least over in west texas we could use swamp coolers and such and just had to fight with dry heat. You're closer to where I am weather wise out here in North Florida than you are where I grew up.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 23, 2018

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm not having a psychotic break, I swear

quote:

"It's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal," Trump said in the interview, adding he's witnessed similar scenarios over his decades in public life. "I know all about flipping, 30, 40 years I have been watching flippers. Everything is wonderful and then they get 10 years in jail and they flip on whoever the next highest one is or as high as you can go."

Suspects cooperating with prosecutors in exchange for a reduced sentence is a central feature of the criminal justice system, but Trump has long valued loyalty over legal precedent or practice.

Cohen pleaded guilty to myriad financial crimes this week in federal court in Manhattan, including campaign finance violations involving his attempt to buy the silence of women who claim they had sexual affairs with Trump.

"If you can say something bad about Donald Trump and you will go down to two years or three years, which is the deal he made, in all fairness to him, most people are going to do that," Trump said of Cohen, who he described as only a "part-time" lawyer. "And I have seen it many times. I have had many friends involved in this stuff. It's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal."

I’ve seen it many times," Trump said, without providing examples. "They make up things and now they go from 10 years to they’re a national hero."

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 23, 2018

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Oh I actually did advise him to tell the agency first. I spent an entire day telling him. He kept insisting it's not a conflict.

Also, I'm loving glad I murdered him I got a fan.

Get him to sign it “your number one fan.”

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot drat!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Today is the day where I walk in and officially quit big law and put in my two weeks. 3 years and 51 weeks.

It is finally over.

Going to be a partner track associate at a small firm that has a niche government/regulatory practice, spend evenings with my 4 week old baby and take him on trips where his dad will be present and not working (something his mother never got the benefit of since our honeymoon).

Praise Allah.

Post the emails Throatwarbler and I'll put you in touch with the lateral team at my big law firm. We don't have a Dubai office, so having live in slaves may not be a career growth possibility (however we do have offices in the American South and after another 4 years of Trump, sky is the limit for what we can do!)

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Congrats on your freedom! Though one wonders why you would choose now to spend more time at home with a four week old.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Popero posted:

Congrats on your freedom! Though one wonders why you would choose now to spend more time at home with a four week old.

I put in my two weeks so will have a total of 6 at home.

I told the new firm I would take the paternity leave from the new place and then start. It maxes at 6.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.
Does anyone have suggestions for practice management for small/medium size firms. We're going to be using Clio for billing. Should we try to use Clio for everything, including using the Clio document management software, or does it make sense to use something like Box so that it plays nicely with Office? Or just use Office 365? Someone suggested using Google Docs for document management but I'm concerned that will be a disaster. We're going to be having multiple offices and remote workers. I'm trying not to get too involved but I don't want to be stuck using a terrible system.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

GET MONEY posted:

If it's not litigation, what's the best practice area to be a (rich) magic bullet lawyer?

I’m still not convinced you’re not a troll, but “magic bullet lawyer” was neither complimentary nor a practice recommendation.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Can anyone recommend a primer for CFTC regulatory issues for futures trading funds? Just looking to get a lay of the land on stuff like required filings so I know what areas to dig into more. Totally OK with a textbook even.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

yronic heroism posted:

Get him to sign it “your number one fan.”

Kicking myself for missing this one.

Nice piece of fish posted:

This poo poo is loving ridiculous, I have to make a mile wide paper trail of information security compliance even though I by criminal law and attourney ethics am obligated to never give out any loving information at all as a basic function of my work. Oh I have to pinkie swear I won't sell my client's tax return to google on this here 45 page disclaimer? Well good, that certainly stops me from doing something that I'd be in prison for a year over.

The absolute idiocy and draconic loving bullshit way this is implemented is mind-boggling. Particularly since at the same time, money laundering laws just tightened up and I'm not only now legally required to retain incredible amounts of personal and financial information for ages and give them up to the government at the drop of a hat but also at the same time I'm completely disallowed to do those things and obligated to delete this information upon request.

It's just :psyduck: all around.

fwiw my read on GDPR is it's mostly a problem of being absurdly vague, as a necessary function of EU passage. Like with HIPAA (more so than HIPAA), internal compliance/rear end-covering policies are bonkers, but are erroneously attributed directly to the law.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

LeschNyhan posted:

I’m still not convinced you’re not a troll, but “magic bullet lawyer” was neither complimentary nor a practice recommendation.

Yes, I recognized that, but the “magic bullet” approach is appealing and it’s not clear whether it would fail in areas other than niche litigation. For example, from what I’ve heard, tax practice can be somewhat magic bullet-y. I’d like to know if there is anything else?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

GET MONEY posted:

Yes, I recognized that, but the “magic bullet” approach is appealing and it’s not clear whether it would fail in areas other than niche litigation. For example, from what I’ve heard, tax practice can be somewhat magic bullet-y. I’d like to know if there is anything else?

The only "magic bullet" approach that works is firing all the bullets.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

GET MONEY posted:

For an alleged smart person you're pretty dull

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

GET MONEY posted:

Lol appealing. Throatwarbler and GET MONEY jumping the shark the same week.

Don’t assume there are firm Answers in tax law just bc it’s numbers and math.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr Gentleman posted:

Can anyone recommend a primer for CFTC regulatory issues for futures trading funds? Just looking to get a lay of the land on stuff like required filings so I know what areas to dig into more. Totally OK with a textbook even.
Any more specifics on what you need to know? You just asked for a primer covering all aspects of CFTC futures regulation which is not something you just get to speed with quickly.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

The only magic bullet is having a parent with their name on the letter head.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

fwiw my read on GDPR is it's mostly a problem of being absurdly vague, as a necessary function of EU passage. Like with HIPAA (more so than HIPAA), internal compliance/rear end-covering policies are bonkers, but are erroneously attributed directly to the law.

You're not wrong. Lacking any kind of case law or other means of narrowing the understanding down, it turns into an excercise of trying to hedge against EVERYTHING in the loving world, because the language is quite vague and the punishments draconian.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

Yuns posted:

Any more specifics on what you need to know? You just asked for a primer covering all aspects of CFTC futures regulation which is not something you just get to speed with quickly.

Yeah, I thought I might have worded that poorly. Also not something I’m looking to cram. Right now I’m interested in required quarterly/annual/whatever filings. Here’s a book that’s come up in my searches: https://www.theifm.org/books/guide-to-us-futures-regulation

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Just do corporate law, where everything can be handwaved with the magic phrase "material adverse effect."

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
^^ yeah see fighting over clever carve outs, that’s the stuff that gets my engine revving

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For an alleged smart person you're pretty dull

Sounds like I’m built for law school then

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol appealing. Throatwarbler and GET MONEY jumping the shark the same week.

Don’t assume there are firm Answers in tax law just bc it’s numbers and math.

I get it, nothing is guaranteed because humans are crazy and nothing matters, but some specializations must lend themselves more to “case-solving” than others.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 23, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Nice piece of fish posted:

You're not wrong. Lacking any kind of case law or other means of narrowing the understanding down, it turns into an excercise of trying to hedge against EVERYTHING in the loving world, because the language is quite vague and the punishments draconian.

I love this because it puts the onus of negotiating the ontological space onto individual adherents, and, indirectly, makes the ethical question the basis of their internal deliberations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr Gentleman posted:

Yeah, I thought I might have worded that poorly. Also not something I’m looking to cram. Right now I’m interested in required quarterly/annual/whatever filings. Here’s a book that’s come up in my searches: https://www.theifm.org/books/guide-to-us-futures-regulation
That guide would be ok. So I assume the market participant you are representing is not regulated (e.g. not a CPO) and not an NFA member but is an exchange participant?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 23, 2018

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

Yuns posted:

That guide would be ok. So I assume the market participant you are representing is not regulated (e.g. not a CPO) and not an NFA member but is an exchange participant?

Not actually repping anyone in connection with this (hence no concrete scenario and no time pressure)—if you can believe it, this is more for my own curiosity. I don’t have a legal background in this and I’m interested in reading up on what the regulatory landscape looks like at a more nitty gritty level than Wikipedia. Am not sure of the best way to approach it, so am all ears.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Discendo Vox posted:

I love this because it puts the onus of negotiating the ontological space onto individual adherents, and, indirectly, makes the ethical question the basis of their internal deliberations.

This patent law stuff is always so incomprehensible

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

GET MONEY posted:

^^ yeah see fighting over clever carve outs, that’s the stuff that gets my engine revving

What if I told you MAE is not clever in any way and a lot of the time is misused to cover up poor drafting skills.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Mr Gentleman posted:

Not actually repping anyone in connection with this (hence no concrete scenario and no time pressure)—if you can believe it, this is more for my own curiosity. I don’t have a legal background in this and I’m interested in reading up on what the regulatory landscape looks like at a more nitty gritty level than Wikipedia. Am not sure of the best way to approach it, so am all ears.
I'll come back to you with some recommendations. Do you already have familiarity with the financial products in general from a business perspective? For example, do you already understand the difference between a future and forward so that I don't recommend anything too basic?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

same, same

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

Yuns posted:

I'll come back to you with some recommendations. Do you already have familiarity with the financial products in general from a business perspective? For example, do you already understand the difference between a future and forward so that I don't recommend anything too basic?

Yes, I’m familiar. Thanks a ton!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This patent law stuff is always so incomprehensible

No no, it's very comprehensive

But different?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Just gonna drop this baby off here:

"It's called flipping and it almost ought to be illegal," Trump said in the interview, adding he's witnessed similar scenarios over his decades in public life. "I know all about flipping, 30, 40 years I have been watching flippers. Everything is wonderful and then they get 10 years in jail and they flip on whoever the next highest one is or as high as you can go." 

Suspects cooperating with prosecutors in exchange for a reduced sentence is a central feature of the criminal justice system, but Trump has long valued loyalty over legal precedent or practice.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Soothing Vapors posted:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dammit

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

gotta get up preeeetty early in the AM to out-shitpost ol' Vapors

maybe, depends on what any of those words mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its called shitposting without reading the thread and it almost ought to be illegal