Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
He was hit by somebody, probably not just his mom. I still flinch when unexpectedly touched/caressed. By anyone. I am a 36 year old grown-rear end-man.

E: I flinched real hard when an attractive coworker, who I had expressly given permission to touch my hair and had a habit of doing it when I knew they were going to, touched my head from behind, even after I knew they were behind me.

EE: little humans, no matter how physically resilient they may seem, are fragile in unseen ways.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Dannywilson posted:

He was hit by somebody, probably not just his mom. I still flinch when unexpectedly touched/caressed. By anyone. I am a 36 year old grown-rear end-man.

Don't most people jump or flinch if they're touched unexpectedly? I know I do, and nobody hit me

e: nm just saw your edit

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is how she describes the behavior:
"It's also not just little flinches, he'll curl up on himself and close his eyes for a second before realizing I'm not going to do anything to him."

She probably should have used the verb "cower", instead of "flinch".

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Dat dose of fight or flight adrenaline is pretty impressive vis-a-vis how fleeting being scared out of your wits by being unexpectedly touched lasts!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Betazoid posted:

Misread this as Doctor Who giving false positives and thought "Wow, David Tennant sure went dark after 'Broadchurch.'"

The new DuckTales is pretty rad.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Wow, this woman is even saltier than I am during a game of 40K

After my wedding, my sister [40] made some upsetting comments and I'm struggling with how to respond and move on.

quote:

u/Tughf
I [M29] got married a few weeks ago to a special woman I've been with a number of years. We have a wonderful, loving and respectful relationship and our wedding was amazing - both our sets of families and friends were genuinely blown away by the family focussed celebration. We were inundated with lovely comments over how much people enjoyed themselves and how they loved the wedding day.

However, my sister [40] was in attendance with her son [10]. She has gone through a divorce and then recently a subsequent break up with a boyfriend. She is a difficult character, very sensitive. My brothers and other sister have spent our lives treading on egg shells around her. She has had a difficult run with relationships and my siblings and I have worked to support her. She also has this chip on her shoulder that myself and my other siblings are the favourites. Other context is that she lives in another city and we don't see her that often.

As with most weddings, we didn't get to spend much time with everyone. This was disappointing but it's the reality.

We thought everything went amazingly and were really pleased with it all. However, the day after the wedding I get a call from my sister. She made a number of statements essentially saying "I didn't feel welcome at the wedding, I couldn't wait to get out of there. I got a really bad vibe from it all and [wife]'s family." She then went on to say "You need to watch out and not rush into anything, like having kids or something."

I was completely taken aback and this took me by absolute surprise. I had to get to an appointment so I told her this was incredibly inappropriate and upsetting and I got off the call.

My wife's family has been amazingly welcoming to me and my family. They hosted the wedding and were incredibly gracious. My wife has worked hard to make a good impression on my family so the criticism is completely unwarranted. I have simply not spoken to my sister since the call and I haven't told my wife what happened.

I'm now unsure how to move forward. I'm worried that my sister doesn't understand how upset she made me and possibly thinks that she was in some way warranted in making the comments. Im still furious and I want her to understand that. I'm always the family peacemaker and I'm angry that I feel this internal pull to resolve the situation. She is the one who has hurt me and I want an apology.

TL;DR sister made awful comments about wife and wedding and I haven't had any contact since then. Not sure how to proceed and move on.

She could not wait more than a day to disrespect your wife. Just fade her out. Don’t go no contact, just always be busy.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Hello Ketene posted:

Mom and Dad (F58, M60) may divorce over birthday gift I (F30) got him

holy lmao this is incredible

'My Dad packs several suitcases, asks my friend to transport his man cave to my house and tells my Mom he’ll be back for the rest of his things later. '

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Milotic posted:

After my wedding, my sister [40] made some upsetting comments and I'm struggling with how to respond and move on.

She could not wait more than a day to disrespect your wife. Just fade her out. Don’t go no contact, just always be busy.

You're a grown goddamn man, you couldn't tell her to gently caress off and hang up on her?

quote:

We have a wonderful, loving and respectful relationship and our wedding was amazing - both our sets of families and friends were genuinely blown away by the family focussed celebration. We were inundated with lovely comments over how much people enjoyed themselves and how they loved the wedding day. 

Ok that probably isn't in your toolbox

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Milotic posted:

It is amazing to me that the people who are the biggest failures in life always think they are full of sage advice for everyone that should be heeded at all times.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s because they think that they are so wise that they are so stupid. I know that sounds like a koan or something but trite as that sounds, it does make sense – they don’t learn to make better choices because they think they know everything

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pick posted:

It’s because they think that they are so wise that they are so stupid. I know that sounds like a koan or something but trite as that sounds, it does make sense – they don’t learn to make better choices because they think they know everything

if you want to be snappy you could just say it's the dunning-kreuger effect

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My [19F] very religious mom [49F] found my nudes and showed my dad [52M]. My life is so ruined. How can I fix this relationship? Please help :(

quote:

TL;DR: Grew up with no freedom in a very religious Muslim household - got given the chance to live abroad for my studies. hosed that up by taking drugs and having a boyfriend. Police found out - spent months in rehab and my parents saw all my nudes and it haunts me to this day even 5 months after all this.

To preface, my family is Muslim and for a while I lost connection to my religion and delved into the wrong parts of the world. Relationships are considered a huge taboo as well.

I am 19 and last year my parents agreed to let me go study abroad and live alone albeit my older sister was in the same city as me. It felt as if I’ve been on training wheels my whole life and just got given motorcycle.

I’ve been struggling with major depression and inability to focus for a long time and thought I would just try out some speed to self medicate (got diagnosed with ADHD recently). I did this because I was falling behind in university no matter how hard I tried. I was always tired and depressed and it made me feel even worse because I wasn’t enjoying this opportunity.

Slowly and surely I spend a lot of time playing games online and meet someone that I continually talk to for months. He lives 3 hours away and after being with him for 6 months long distance he moves in with me. I was always feeling so guilty that this happened because I knew this broke so many ethical codes I had. Essentially he had been secretly living with me up until my major bust.

My sister and her husband decide to visit me out of nowhere and they smell weed coming from upstairs and start snooping through all my things. They find speed and my ex-boyfriends wallet and all hell breaks loose. Not only do they call my dad but they tell him about everything.

Keep in mind my sister is extremely religious so all of this came out as a shock for her. My dad says he’s coming to visit me the next day but instead of doing so he comes on that same night and sees me with my boyfriend. He opens the apartment door with a key he already had and my bf leaves.

He takes me back to the country my family lives in and I stay there for a week. My grandma had been really sick so we decide to go back to our home country for a day to visit her before I go back to the country I study in. On that day - the police in my home country stop me and say I have pending drug charges against me and that they had broken into my apartment while I was gone.

I end up getting forcefully checked into rehab as that gives you immunity in my country from legal work. The police break open my phone and give it to my parents. They interview my boyfriend and my parents now know the extent of my relationship. My parents spend the next month extensively going though my now unlocked phone and seeing all my nudes and sexual content. They realize I am no longer a virgin either - all of which happens during my time in rehab where I had a one 15-minute call per day.

They looked through everything and saw pictures of my rear end - nudes - legit everything. It’s awful because rehab has made me become a lot more religious and I know how bad this is now.

My family used to live in Europe and now my 4 siblings and my mom have moved back to our home country because of me while my dad works in Europe.

After 4-5 months of rehab I was discharged and my charges have been removed as I am only a minor in my home country (adult is considered 21).

I lost everything and never wish to do drugs - hell I won’t even be able to get medicated for my ADHD. Worst of all my family completely hate me and I understand that. My mom constantly cries ever after months of this happening. A lot of rules have changed in our family and worst of all they saw all my photos and voice notes with my now ex boyfriend.

It’s so embarrassing and my dad yells at me for not being a virgin anymore and how I will ever get married to anyone with the society we live in. I lost all my freedom they don’t trust me to play games anymore or to even have a laptop.

I understand I hosed up so much - at least today I’m a better person. Albeit I have ADHD, major depressive disorder, and PTSD from my interrogation that came out of nowhere where the policeman claimed he would slap me with a shoe if I didn’t talk. Also everything even music reminds me of the place I used to live in and how I ruined it so badly.

I want to get over this and my family didn’t even enjoy living in Europe anyways - my sister would constantly cut herself from getting bullied and wanted to do online school. My mom had really bad depression because we lived in such a dead city. My sister had a massive eating disorder that made her go bulimic and anorexic. But now they still want that life back because “at least we had some freedom”. Maybe if we were a normal family none of this would have happened.

I just really want advice on how to deal with this all - I feel so embarrassed even looking at my mom knowing she saw all that; especially with my dad as well who lectures me about it even 5 months after. I hate myself for this and really appreciate anyone who has read this.

Holy poo poo.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

girl needs to run herself far far away and never look back

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [19F] very religious mom [49F] found my nudes and showed my dad [52M]. My life is so ruined. How can I fix this relationship? Please help :(

Holy poo poo.

wherever you live, try living somewhere else

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

quote:

My [24F] future mother in law [50F] wants to postpone mine and my fiance's wedding by up to 12 years because his father is going to prison.

Original: So my future father in law has just had two MORE class X felonies to his record and is looking at 10-12 years in prison.

My fiancé and I have a 6 month old daughter, and have been planning a wedding that was supposed to be in September of this year.

My future mother in law is trying to convince my fiancé to force me into postponing the wedding and even went as far as saying that we can't have any more children until her husband is out of prison so that he doesn't miss anything.

I feel sick thinking about waiting 10-12 more years to marry someone that I've been with for 7 years already. I DEFINITELY don't want to post pone having more children just so that he doesn't miss it. Am I insane? I mean, my daughter could be 12 by the time she sees him again, and I'm not waiting 12 more years to grow our family.

We already have a venue, my dress, invitations have been sent, I have family flying into town.

I may be selfish here, but I just don't feel as though we should be punished just because his father decided that being a criminal was more important than watching his first grand daughter grow up, and watching his only son get married. I just feel as though he should have been thinking of his family. My fiancé has a sister that will turning 10, and she could be 22 by the time he's out. Should she not graduate or go to college or get her license so that her dad doesn't miss it while he's serving time for his 6th felony?

I just don't know how I'm supposed to tell my future mother in law, "absoultely not. I will not wait 12 years to do what we've been planning for years, and to give my daughter a sibling someday."

TLDR: My future father in law landed himself in prison for up to 12 years. His wife wants me to cancel my wedding until he gets out of prison. Quite frankly, I don't think it's fair.

UPDATE:

I spoke to my fiancé about this, and he had no idea that his mother was planning on this.

I basically stated it as a "you're not really planning on agreeing to this are you?!"

And I got a "HELL NO." in return. He basically said he doesn't even plan on visiting his father and said he needs to deal with the consequences of being an idiot.

He's going to plan on telling his mother to gently caress off.

The end.

Thought we could use a happy ending.

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 24, 2018

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Xenocides posted:

My [24F] future mother in law [50F] wants to postpone mine and my fiance's wedding by up to 12 years because his father is going to prison.[b] 

You couldn't just say gently caress off and hang up on her?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

LadyPictureShow posted:

Holy poo poo.

well, at least religion is back in her life :shepface:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

tactlessbastard posted:

You couldn't just say gently caress off and hang up on her?

Eh I could see it as someone being too shocked at how ridiculous it is to react. Also trying to rationalize things since it can't be that crazy right? There has to be a reasonable, rational explaination right?

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

OP posted:

I’m [F/27] in a relationship with a [M/35] who is passive aggressive. He’s currently doing the silent treatment for weeks now. Personally, I wanna work things out. Any advice from - a passive aggressive person there? What is the right thing to do? Wait it out more? Breakup already?

TL;DR Passive aggressive boyfriend won’t talk to me after an argument (not a huge one), and just shut down. What do I do to make him respond or fix things? Should I wait more or is the silent treatment already the breakup?

P.S long distance relationship P.P.S I have noticed his history of passive aggressiveness with the way he deals with problems (escapes, tries to forget they exist, does the opposite, etc.)

Had an argument where he’s saying I just go on and on and I’m full of stress. Was trying to communicate properly, but then he just shut down by saying good night. I said I give up and he can just message if he needs anything.

5 days in with no contact, I checked him and seen. I got frustrated and begged to talk. Called many times, all went seen. 6th day, I apologized for being all over the place and said I will give him space. Seen

7th day, got a missed call. Maybe he just pressed it. Messaged to check up on him if he’s ok. Told him I deleted the number because I didn’t wanna be tempted to bother him. Unfriended him too so I won’t be tempted to message any of his friends (he certainly won’t like it). But I didn’t block him on anything. I said I deactivated my FB too because I cannot go online, it hurts me.

10th day, sent a long letter to apologize. seen 13th day, I experienced a tragedy. He called to check up but it was really cold, messaged me a few times. Didn’t follow up after to check if I am ok.

Almost 2 weeks since. No contact whatsoever. :( I am confused about what to do now.

Help?

Not sure how you break up with someone who's already dumped you.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Mr. Lobe posted:

girl needs to run herself far far away and never look back

this is probably Saudi Arabia so running away is not gonna happen

she's part of a 'liberal' family that let their kids out of their sight in Europe and she decided to try meth and let some guy she met online move in with her

idk what the solution is but if I were a woman in her family, whoooo boy :murder: would be a thing

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Xenocides posted:

Thought we could use a happy ending.

Marrying Mac was a bad decision, he's gay

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Adar posted:

this is probably Saudi Arabia so running away is not gonna happen

she's part of a 'liberal' family that let their kids out of their sight in Europe and she decided to try meth and let some guy she met online move in with her

idk what the solution is but if I were a woman in her family, whoooo boy :murder: would be a thing

Saudi Arabia was also my first thought

A terrible, terrible country

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
But women can drive cars there now. They've entered the 20th century. :)

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
(33F) My MIL (58) fed my vegetarian child (5F) meat. Advice?

quote:

u/vegetarianmother
I’ve made this on a throwaway account :)

My husband has told me that he thinks his mother (‘Lisa’) is toxic, but he doesn’t want our daughter to grow up without grandparents (my parents are dead), so he allows his mother to spend a week out of the summer with us.

Lisa is aware that both my husband and I are vegetarians and we have been raising our daughter, who is five— as a vegetarian. We always make sure she gets the proper nutrients needed. My husband and I have made it very clear to Lisa that under no circumstances is she to give our daughter meat. If our daughter was much older and wanted to try meat, than that’s a different story. But, my husband and I want a vegetarian household.

Lisa took my daughter out yesterday to go shopping at the mall. They were gone the whole day. My daughter came back feeling kind of sick and nauseous. Lisa’s excuse was that my daughter had ‘too much ice cream’ at the food court. My daughter vomited a couple minutes after, we asked her what she ate for lunch and dinner. My daughter said that Lisa split a hamburger with her for lunch, and for dinner they ate chicken. My daughter also said that Lisa FORCED her to eat the meat and told her that she wasn’t being fed properly. She also threw up at the mall, which Lisa never told my husband and I.

I even provided Lisa with money for food, and sent her a text with vegetarian-friendly restaurants that are in the food court at the mall.

My husband and I confronted Lisa, but she told us that our daughter was “begging for the meat” and that we “are depriving her of a balanced diet”. Lisa is now staying in a hotel and leaving tomorrow.

We have no problem with people who choose to include meat in their diet, but it’s not something that we want as a family. I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 8, and it was my own personal decision. I know what it feels like for people to force meat in my face, and I’m so sad that my daughter had to experience the inevitable through her own grandmother.

Are my husband and I being dramatic? Any advice?

TLDR: My MIL fed my 5 year old vegetarian daughter a hamburger and chicken, when my husband and I have made it very clear that we want a vegetarian household. Are we being dramatic? Any advice?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Milotic posted:

(33F) My MIL (58) fed my vegetarian child (5F) meat. Advice?

how many comments are dragging the mom for being vegetarian and missing the toxic grandma force feeding a five year old

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So you can think through “Meat is bad” but not “crazy people should not be near my children”

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'd believe the grandma is "toxic", sure, but describing your 5-year-old child that you are raising vegetarian as "my vegetarian child" sounds pretty toxic too if I'm being completely honest

like it was her idea

I'd also believe she made up the part about being "forced" to eat the food because she didn't want her mom to get mad at her

also to a five-year-old "forced" could mean she bought a burger and went "what, I paid money for it, you sure you don't want any? mmm yum" not necessarily literally force-feeding

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Smug Mommy posted:

I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 8, and it was my own personal decision.

Smug Mommy posted:

I demand we have a vegetarian household! I have decided my daughter cannot eat meat for any reason!

Grandma was out of line, Mom is out of line, people who are smug about their life choices are garbage people. News at 11.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Eh, let the kid actually decide if she wants to eat meat. Neither side should force the issue. I get the feeling that nobody is being entirely honest on how it happened.

My daughter is obsessed with meat, and I certainly never pushed it on her or anything. She just loves it. Maybe the kid smelled some meat and wanted to eat it and knew she could pin it on grandma, who knows?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Agreed that mom should let it be her daughter's choice, but also, if you've never eaten meat your digestive system doesn't know what to do with it and you're going to get sick. There's ways to ease into it but not by eating half a hamburger and then some chicken. If the kid chooses to not be vegetarian when she gets older, which should be her right, it'll just have to be handled a bit more carefully.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

Yeah I'd believe the grandma is "toxic", sure, but describing your 5-year-old child that you are raising vegetarian as "my vegetarian child" sounds pretty toxic too if I'm being completely honest

like it was her idea

I'd also believe she made up the part about being "forced" to eat the food because she didn't want her mom to get mad at her

also to a five-year-old "forced" could mean she bought a burger and went "what, I paid money for it, you sure you don't want any? mmm yum" not necessarily literally force-feeding

there's nothing wrong with raising your kid as a vegetarian so long as you're paying attention to their nutritional needs. there's a shitload wrong with directly disobeying your adult children's parenting decisions and secretly undercutting them by forcing your granddaughter to eat foods her body is not accustomed to

there's no reason to disbelieve the child here either. i get that you don't like vegetarians but that's a personal problem you have, there's no reason to make poo poo up here

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

luxury handset posted:

there's nothing wrong with raising your kid as a vegetarian so long as you're paying attention to their nutritional needs. there's a shitload wrong with directly disobeying your adult children's parenting decisions and secretly undercutting them by forcing your granddaughter to eat foods her body is not accustomed to

there's no reason to disbelieve the child here either. i get that you don't like vegetarians but that's a personal problem you have, there's no reason to make poo poo up here

She can raise her kid vegetarian all she wants, but describing her as "my vegetarian child" in fact has a number of things wrong with it and rings my unreliable-narrator bell like crazy

I get that you're really defensive about vegetarianism but that's a personal problem you have :mmmsmug:

e: I think you will find that in fact it is YOU who is mad, not me, I'm actually laughing

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

luxury handset posted:

I would like to know the trick for force feeding my children. When my daughter refuses to eat something, there ain't poo poo I can do.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

She can raise her kid vegetarian all she wants, but describing her as "my vegetarian child" in fact has a number of things wrong with it and rings my unreliable-narrator bell like crazy

no it doesn't? this is super weird. you're letting your "vegetarians are smug" personal issue cloud your ability to read and perceive here. you're coming off like "my boy will NOT wear a dress, that is wrong and against nature!" like people require meat in their diet

loquacius posted:

I get that you're really defensive about vegetarianism but that's a personal problem you have :mmmsmug:

e: I think you will find that in fact it is YOU who is mad, not me, I'm actually laughing

yikes bro

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Honestly there's way worse diets the mom could be encouraging than vegetarianism. I'd take that over raising a kid who complains whenever they have to eat something that's not chicken tendies & refuses to eat any vegetables at all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I would like to know the trick for force feeding my children. When my daughter refuses to eat something, there ain't poo poo I can do.

the trick is you get her to eat something someone else doesn't want her to eat, and then get that person to describe the incident for the Internet

luxury handset posted:

no it doesn't? this is super weird. you're letting your "vegetarians are smug" personal issue cloud your ability to read and perceive here. you're coming off like "my boy will NOT wear a dress, that is wrong and against nature!" like people require meat in their diet

yikes bro

loquacius posted:

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

loquacius posted:

"Art thou mad brother? For I am naught"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
imagine being so mad that vegetarians exist that you would condone a child abuser

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^
child abuse, lol. Grandma was out of line, but I bet the kid secretly loved that meat.

Haifisch posted:

Honestly there's way worse diets the mom could be encouraging than vegetarianism. I'd take that over raising a kid who complains whenever they have to eat something that's not chicken tendies & refuses to eat any vegetables at all.
My mom dated a guy who had a son that literally never ate anything other than a steak or a chicken patty. He must've been taking a multi-vitamin or something. He was totally perplexed by me eating a green bean and asked me what it was. For the record, he was like 17 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

luxury handset posted:

imagine being so mad that vegetarians exist that you would condone a child abuser

loquacius posted:

in short,

luxury handset posted:

you're letting your personal issue cloud your ability to read and perceive here