Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

drrockso20 posted:

So I've been hearing good things about one of Osprey's newest games Gaslands, anyone here given it a try?

We have a thread about it!

Should probably do more gameplay discussion, but the modeling is really fun and people are doing some cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
CT failed in pretty much every way an RPG can fail

- The system was irretrievably broken (unbalanced and throwing out Murphy's Rules candidates on every page)
- The system ran at multiple levels (you could play a trenchcoated investigator or the pilot of a 60 foot tall mecha) with no idea of how to integrate them
- The projected future setting was full of incredibly dumb howlers
- The adventures were the worst kind of 1990s bullshit, essentially railroaded theme park rides where the PCs watched the metaplot play out

...and then you add the rape rape rape nazi rape and more rape on top of all that.

Yeesh.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a setting that's meant to be Cthulhu+Evangeleon they managed to include far, far more rape than either so much as alluded to.

It's Cthulhu+Evangelion+Guyver+Macross

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This only high fantasy or would it work for something like 40k or traditional war?

High fantasy and historical

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Are there any recent games in the vein of The Price Of Freedom, ie "your country has been taken over by merciless authoritarian thugs out to destroy everything you hold dear, so it's time to fight back and kick some bad-guy rear end"? I'm preferably after something crunch-light; TPOF's old-school approach of having 17 tables of modifiers to apply to every single shot you fire makes my heart sink.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Payndz posted:

Are there any recent games in the vein of The Price Of Freedom, ie "your country has been taken over by merciless authoritarian thugs out to destroy everything you hold dear, so it's time to fight back and kick some bad-guy rear end"? I'm preferably after something crunch-light; TPOF's old-school approach of having 17 tables of modifiers to apply to every single shot you fire makes my heart sink.

Check out Sigmata: This Signal Kills Fascists, that’s its entire premise :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
actually, don't check-out Sigmata. The whole thing is written so cack-handedly that it's frankly an insult to the resistance genre.

try Twilight 2000

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Please don't do that, B.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Payndz posted:

First of all, never ever listen to Bedladman. Second of all, check out Misspent Youth for a more teenage-centric take on that genre.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thanks to my recent YouTube playlist, I’ve taken to brainstorming impressions of a La-Mulana-like hidden temple full of ancient technology and magical OOPArts. Eroded statues as robotic guardians, prayer wheels as TVs ala zoetropes, massive hedge mazes that trace out demon-summoning sigils, messages from sky gods being old broadcasts from planets millions of miles away. I loving love the idea of old poo poo actually being a reflection of our modern selves and finding out why that might be. Man, I can’t wait to get a chance to try it out on players :dance:

I wonder what a La-Mulana RPG would be like?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder what a La-Mulana RPG would be like?

Gumshoe system. It's basically the only investigative and puzzle solving system I've ever encountered that works.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

First of all, never ever listen to Bedladman. Second of all, check out Misspent Youth for a more teenage-centric take on that genre.

I do hear that Sigmata does trip over some things and doesn't get everything right, but I think a lot of games would when dealing with topics that are this sensitive and important. But it's also pretty clear, after looking into the creators and their commentary, that it really was written in good faith and outside of arguments on Something Awful and its sister site 4chan its message seems pretty well received.

Honestly, I just find it pretty worrying that Wrath and Glory is #1 on DriveThruRPG while Sigmata is #9. It's more evidence of a strong fascist undercurrent that pervades this miserable hobby.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmmm, you have a point. I guess I’m not as fascinated by the investigation and mystery solving aspects of La-Mulana as a tabletop game, per se; that’d be kind of a pain in the rear end. I’m more interested in the lore, aesthetic, and setpieces for use in telling a story and building a world in a different system.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You can't make a game about fighting fascism and say that you have to ally with traditionally fascists supporters to make it. Like who even is your opponent if not them?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

You don't have to 'hear' anything about Sigmata. You can read the premise. The factions are 3 fascist aligned factions and tankies. The author got everything wrong. There is no possible way he was acting in good faith.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

You can't make a game about fighting fascism and say that you have to ally with traditionally fascists supporters to make it. Like who even is your opponent if not them?

The people genociding everyone else.

It’s really the thing Sigmata does most poorly, though the game makes it clear that the Factions aren’t part of the Resistance, and are at most your allies of convenience united by mutual disgust over the people in power. They are trying to coopt you and look after their own interests as you use them. That isn’t that unprecedented, a lot of people wanted Assad gone, including ISIS.

Really, if I were doing it I would’ve just been made an optional part of the game; a source of potential help and just as many problems. Making them a required part of the game was a bad idea, you should totally have the option to flip them off and struggle on your own, but at the very least the game makes clear they’re not your friends and can be just as bad as the people you’re deposing if you’re not careful.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I went and pre-ordered Unity. Here's a thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866826

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Had a quick look at what the creator had to say about Stigmata on Reddit and elsewhere. 1: the stuff about the "ethical insurgency" tells me it's complete fantasy (I wanted more French Resistance loving up the Milice, Wehrmacht and SS than "ooh no, if we hurt a fascist when he's out of uniform we're as bad as they are!" hand-wringing), and 2: it's alt-history cyberpunk! Should have started with point 2, really - not what I was after.

Edit: it's also superheroes and uses dice pools! Absolutely not what I was after (dice pools ain't my thang).

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 24, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, did anyone get Hardback and does it actually improve upon Paperback?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sigmata WW2 expac as you play as the heroic OUN and Forest Brothers resistance fighters against the authoritarian invaders from Russia.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hedningen posted:

We have a thread about it!

Should probably do more gameplay discussion, but the modeling is really fun and people are doing some cool stuff.

Thanks

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

Hey, did anyone get Hardback and does it actually improve upon Paperback?

i've heard it does but haven't played it myself.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Payndz posted:

I’ll second Misspent Youth, and put forth Spire as a more fantasy take on the same subject.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Meinberg posted:

I’ll second Misspent Youth, and put forth Spire as a more fantasy take on the same subject.

Both of these are good, and I got the Misspent Youth paperback and Sell Out With Me collection as a gift from a friend and it's great.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the bad faith poster defending the bad faith game, im fuckin gobstopped

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alaois posted:

the bad faith poster defending the bad faith game, im fuckin gobstopped

The only people even remotely as angry as you about Sigmata are the literal rpg fascists.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't think anyone is angry so much as awestruck at how idiotic it is.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

I don't think anyone is angry so much as awestruck at how idiotic it is.

Hopefully! Either way it’s not worth getting stressed over! :shrug:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Meinberg posted:

Spire definitely gets its punk on.

And the hardback is gorgeous, very high production quality.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sigmata is basically Neoliberal Crime Squad. And it's not so much 'These guys are trying to co-opt you and need to be managed carefully' as 'These guys would definitely be the first to sign up for the blackshirts, why the gently caress is working with them even a viable option'.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm thinking of running a game sometime in the future. Kind of torn between two ideas. What do you think of these ideas?

This idea:

Battle Century G posted:

It is 290 AC (After Colonization).

Maris is a thriving, but oppressed colony of the Earth Union. A powerful family, the Aesir family, has taken power on the colony and have declared it an independent principality of Asgard under King Odin.

Initially dismissed by the Earth Union, the conflict took a head at the Battle of Olympus Mon, where the Earth Union was forced off Mars. During the battle, the desperate Asgardian resistance used the first Mechanized Units or "Mecha." Initially, this was done to make up for a lack of armored vehicles. The Asgardians took the popular "Jotun", a construction vehicle used to transport equipment in low gravity and space, into a "Mobile Weapons Platform." The success of the Jotun, called colloquially as "Ice Giants" due to their towering design and white and blue color scheme, lead to a new niche in combat that the Earth Union rushed to fill.

Armoring the popular "Gore", an Earthbound equivalent to the Jotun invented by Harold Gore, the Earth Union hoped to compete with the Asgardian's Ice Giant. However the Gore, colloquially called the "Gorilla" due to its elongated arms and small legs, did not manage as well as the Ice Giant as most battles took place in space following Olympus Mon. Though, it did become a staple of the battlefield when Asgardians took key mining holdings on Earth during the end of the first year of the war.

Three years in and the war is a stalemate. Both sides have been investing in Mechanized Units R&D to turn the tides of battle. The main difference is the method.

The Asgardians have been investing in multiple different projects and throwing out prototypes for constant live testing. This has lead to many amazing one-offs and spectacular flounders. The most famous of which was the Munnin's attack on Earth Union's main base in Death Valley. The Munnin was an impressive aerial mobile unit with amazing weapon capabilities and flight maneuverability, but a fatal flaw in the targeting system lead to disaster. What should have been a decisive victory that turned the tide of the war instead resulted in the prototype's utter destruction. The Munnin has never been seen again despite being so close to victory, most likely due to the Asgardian's stretched and mismanaged R&D.

Despite the lack of a powerful new mobile unit, the Asgardian's ace, masked mecha pilot, Thor of the Lighting Flash, has managed to win them decisive victory after decisive victory. And he is hardly the only stand-out in their impressive line-up of pilots.

The Earth Union has focused on a small number of Mechanized Unit prototypes.* They are close to unveiling them for their first field testing with the First Experimental Mechanized Unit or 1st EMU team.

Will they turn the tide of the war? The only real question is...who will survive?

-----------

This will be a Battle Century G game. (Or a Mekoton Z game, maybe?). It will have a season length of a Quarter Year or 12 episodes. And will use starting mecha.

*The number will depend on the number of players.

Or this idea:

Digimon: Digital Adventures posted:

The plot for this one is kind of more barebones. I have more goals I want to meet than general ideas. It's sort of a generic thing for the premise of a Digimon game. Basically, some kids find themselves in the Digital World, trapped there, and the digital world is under siege by the Digimon Kaiser and his army of evil digimon.

I want to divide this into "Seasons."

Season One sees the kids with partner digimon who reach champion and, after getting tags and crests, ultimate level.

Season Two involves the Digimon Kaiser, who can't compete with the ultimate level digimon, unveiling his Control Spire and locking away their ability to go past Rookie level. Thus, they need to seek out the digi-metals to armor digivole and fight.

Season Three would involve them losing their partners from the Kaiser's schemes (as he continues to rely more on the power of his dark benefactor) and being powerless. Until they uncover the Legendary Spirits and Hybrid Evolve into Digimon. Yes, this is a thing...from the season no one liked, but it is a thing.

Season Four involves them being reunited with their partners and learning to DNA/Jogress digivole their Legendary Spirit forms (which does have an "ultimate level" equivalent in the form of the combined beast and human spirits) with their ultimate level partner digimon to finally reach Mega level. They would finally defeat the Digimon Kaiser and, in the process, release the ancient evil he was working with on the digital world.

The fifth and final "season" would involve them reaching Burst Mode and finally saving the Digital World and being able to return home.

Basically, I want to do it all. I wouldn't limit players to "canon" evolution lines or canon armor/legendary spirits as that would severely limit the choices in Season Two and Three. I would probably have people prepare their next levels for ease of play.

I plan to use Digimon: Digital Adventures for this game, especially since it reminds me a lot of Battle Century G for some reason.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 25, 2018

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sigmata is basically Neoliberal Crime Squad. And it's not so much 'These guys are trying to co-opt you and need to be managed carefully' as 'These guys would definitely be the first to sign up for the blackshirts, why the gently caress is working with them even a viable option'.

They do have their reasons for being just as angry as you at the people in power, the fluff establishes that. I don’t know why it’s so difficult to buy into the idea that your ideological opponents can also hate the same things you do, albeit for different reasons. Collectively we’re more or less on the same page as the people on pol in terms of calling this thing an ideologically flawed pile of gently caress, and that’s amazing. AFAICT these two communities are the only ones to regard it so viscerally online.

It’s like its very existence is has managed to create its stupid faction system irl :haw:

Covok posted:

I'm thinking of running a game sometime in the future. Kind of torn between two ideas. What do you think of these ideas?

This idea:

Or this idea:

Gundam >>>>> Digimon

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Pissing off both Nazis and leftists' isn't the good thing you and establishment Democrats seem to think it is.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actually if two people or groups complain about something it’s for the same reason and they’re equal in every way.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bedlamdan posted:

Gundam >>>>> Digimon

I'm going to make the controversial statement that season 3 of Digimon can compete. Tamers was a legit series on its own merits.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Digimon has better videogames than Gundam

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Covok posted:

I'm going to make the controversial statement that season 3 of Digimon can compete. Tamers was a legit series on its own merits.

Tamers is alright. Definitely not as good as Digimon Adventure or Digimon Adventure Tri, though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Digimon has better videogames than Gundam

That's a low bar to beat. Gundam is not known for having good video games. And the games are also very weird. I'm reading a let's pay on the let's play archives where they just do a post-apocalyptic generic jrpg plot for some stupid reason. Like I said the games are Gundam are weird. I suppose the games for Digimon are weird too. Digimon World 1 is a Tamagotchi simulator, Digimon World 2 is a dungeon crawling game, Digimon World 3 is a jrpg, and Digimon World 4 is a action RPG. And that's not even getting into the rest which include Smash Brothers clones. But it is overall a better play experience.

King of Solomon posted:

Tamers is alright. Definitely not as good as Digimon Adventure or Digimon Adventure Tri, though.

Tri has issues. But Digimon Adventure one is very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Covok posted:

Tri has issues. But Digimon Adventure one is very solid.

Digimon Tamers also has issues. I am curious what you don't like about Tri, though, I've really enjoyed it so far.