Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

bessantj posted:

Thanks. Yeah the Spider-Man game was the first movie tie in and I'm sure that I've played it but I don't remember it, just saw it in a shop today for £1 ($1.30). I've never played Marvel Ultimate Alliance but I think I'd read on this forum that one of them is good and one of them is bad. I saw the first one for £2.50 ($3.20) and they're probably both worth it.

UA1 is definitely the better one. I dunno how it holds up solo but I had a blast playing that one with friends and online. It has a ton of DLC that I liked but I dunno if any of that’s available.

Spider-Man 1 isn’t great, but it’s a neat little novelty, I think. I remember some of the cheats to play as Green Goblin being kinda cool, and the tutorial narration is incredible, as mentioned.

I’d say they’re both worth it at those prices if you have a way to play em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

UA1 is definitely the better one. I dunno how it holds up solo but I had a blast playing that one with friends and online. It has a ton of DLC that I liked but I dunno if any of that’s available.

The Ultimate Alliance re-releases include all of the DLC characters, which is an extra incentive if you never got them the first time around like me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ZDar Fan posted:

The Ultimate Alliance re-releases include all of the DLC characters, which is an extra incentive if you never got them the first time around like me.

It's fun playing through the game with Doom, since he's the villain of the piece the framing story is that he wins, things go horribly wrong, and so he's travelled back in time to stop himself.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm so hyped for Spider-Man cause of the SUITS! Is the Power Cosmic suit that made that one game long ago super easy going to be one?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Confirmed PS4 suits:

Classic
Advanced (this is the default with the white bits)
Spider-Punk
Iron Spider
Velocity (original design by Adi Granov)
Homemade (from Homecoming)
Noir
Scarlet Spider
Secret War (not the symbiote suit, the bad suit)
Spider-Armor Mk II
Homecoming's main suit

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Well I'm just gonna assume it's the last DLC and is totally game breaking.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No black suit? Maybe they're saving that for the sequel.

Miles must not be getting his powers this game either.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Codependent Poster posted:

No black suit? Maybe they're saving that for the sequel.

Miles must not be getting his powers this game either.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of those is the after-credits stinger (unlocked if you get 100% completion like most open-world games).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just read that the collector edition statue is a spoiler for the game so they're not going to show it and don't want players to open that part until they finish the game.

So maybe Miles does get powers this game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm half expecting some sort of swerve around 20% of the way through where Peter ends up incapacitated or missing and you play as Miles for some amount of game.

Then Peter returns during a big boss fight and then you can swap between them at will or something. Just feels like there's something big they aren't showing off yet.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 23, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speaking of suits and DLC, this is the description for the digital deluxe version which highlights the DLC plans:

quote:

Digital Deluxe Edition Includes:
• Three chapters in Marvel’s Spider-Man: The City that Never Sleeps series* – Available post launch, each chapter contains:
• Additional missions
• Additional characters from the Spider-Man universe
• Additional suits for Spider-Man

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Dang, it looks like those two decades the game was in development was really worth it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Scarlet Spider hoodie or Scarlet Spider onesie?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just read that the collector edition statue is a spoiler for the game so they're not going to show it and don't want players to open that part until they finish the game.

So we should expect it to be spoiled as soon as the statues are delivered.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looks like vest with no hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYCQqGRp6YU&t=66s

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Professor Wayne posted:

Scarlet Spider hoodie or Scarlet Spider onesie?

Hoodie, and the suits special power creates holographic "clones" to distract enemies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hoodie, and the suits special power creates holographic "clones" to distract enemies.

By the time I finished rolling my eyes I had started to smile. I like this idea.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
*sigh* I guess I have to go buy a PS4 now. God damnit...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also forgot to mention that the Classic suit comes in two flavors. One that was fixed by Peter and one that's still damaged from the prologue of the game.

Suit abilities:

Classic - Web Blossom AOE attack (Fixed), None (Damaged)
Advanced - Battle Focus (4x damage multiplier in combat)
Spider-Punk - Guitar riff AOE
Iron Spider - Unconfirmed, thought to involved extra legs
Velocity - Also unconfirmed, but Insomniac says it's in the name of the suit, so thought to be movement-based
Homemade - Unknown
Noir - Cut off enemy comms in stealth
Scarlet Spider - Holo-clones
Secret War - EMP that disables weapons
Spider-Armor - Bullet resistance
Homecoming - Calls in a clone to assist in combat, unlocks with hidden backpacks
2099 - Unknown

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Waffleman_ posted:

I also forgot to mention that the Classic suit comes in two flavors. One that was fixed by Peter and one that's still damaged from the prologue of the game.

Suit abilities:

Classic - Web Blossom AOE attack (Fixed), None (Damaged)
Advanced - Battle Focus (4x damage multiplier in combat)
Spider-Punk - Guitar riff AOE
Iron Spider - Unconfirmed, thought to involved extra legs
Velocity - Also unconfirmed, but Insomniac says it's in the name of the suit, so thought to be movement-based
Homemade - Unknown
Noir - Cut off enemy comms in stealth
Scarlet Spider - Holo-clones
Secret War - EMP that disables weapons
Spider-Armor - Bullet resistance
Homecoming - Calls in a drone to assist in combat, unlocks with hidden backpacks
2099 - Unknown
Fixed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, that makes more sense. I think my source just had a typo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm just gonna play as Spider-Punk and spend all my time making sick guitar riffs and taking selfies with passers-by.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

So we should expect it to be spoiled as soon as the statues are delivered.

It's a total swerve and the back 60% of the game you play as Spinneret. Miles dies during the tutorial.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

It's a total swerve and the back 60% of the game you play as Spinneret. Miles dies during the tutorial.

That reminds me that it’s a shame Newspaper Spider-Man isn’t in it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I'm just gonna play as Spider-Punk and spend all my time making sick guitar riffs and taking selfies with passers-by.

I think they said you can wear whatever suit you want and change the ability it has if you like one suit but another's powers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think they said you can wear whatever suit you want and change the ability it has if you like one suit but another's powers.

Why would I want to be NOT Spider-Punk or NOT do sick guitar riffs?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Endless Mike posted:

Why would I want to be NOT Spider-Punk or NOT do sick guitar riffs?

Emptyquote

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm going to be Spider-Punk but use the Scarlet Spider's clones power and have my very own mosh pit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
As I recall, Spider-Man's had a pretty solid overall video game average. What's the worst game he's ever headlined? Right now, I'm thinking it's Arcade's Revenge on the SNES.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzGaFiyezY

Though I think this is cheating because there are basically no good Atari 2600 games by any modern metric.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

As I recall, Spider-Man's had a pretty solid overall video game average. What's the worst game he's ever headlined? Right now, I'm thinking it's Arcade's Revenge on the SNES.

The Spider-Man levels were pretty good, decent wall climbing mechanics for a 2d 16 bit game. I'd say the Maximum Carnage game was worse, bog standard 2.5d beat-em up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Skwirl posted:

The Spider-Man levels were pretty good, decent wall climbing mechanics for a 2d 16 bit game. I'd say the Maximum Carnage game was worse, bog standard 2.5d beat-em up.

Maximum Carnage is also beyond hard, like I can't imagine an 8 year old kid beating that game without cheat codes

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nope, Maximum Carnage was great.

I think there was a 32x game that was pretty bad, but I don't know if anyone actually played it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Genesis Spider-Man has a fond place in my heart as my first Comic Book video game but it was pretty drat hard too, and definitely lacked the feeling of Spider-Man being Spider-Man, with him mostly walking with occasional ceiling crawling.

The TMNT style one was just weird, with Giant Venom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNqmcV_kI3k

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

The Genesis Spider-Man has a fond place in my heart as my first Comic Book video game but it was pretty drat hard too, and definitely lacked the feeling of Spider-Man being Spider-Man, with him mostly walking with occasional ceiling crawling.

The TMNT style one was just weird, with Giant Venom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNqmcV_kI3k

I want to read this team-up book, that is a hell of a line-up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're all forgetting the best Spidey game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-NjyWMs5Dk

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Oh man I loved Maximum Carnage. Only beat it a couple of times though. I will admit that it was hard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

pubic works project posted:

Oh man I loved Maximum Carnage. Only beat it a couple of times though. I will admit that it was hard.

I remember every time I rented it it came in a neat red cartridge but when I got it for Christmas it was a lame regular gray cartridge

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

pubic works project posted:

There was this weird thing going on that went from the 16-bit era all the way up to the end of the PSOne where people kept making arcade-style quarter-munchers except they weren't in arcades and they didn't offer quarters. It used to drive me insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

There was this weird thing going on that went from the 16-bit era all the way up to the end of the PSOne where people kept making arcade-style quarter-munchers except they weren't in arcades and they didn't offer quarters. It used to drive me insane.

Death of Superman was another, I think it was made by Rare or some other developer that later had great success making games in a completely different style.