Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ouhei posted:

Maybe I'm misreading it, but it also sounds a lot like his ex was manipulated into this by a seriously bad therapist and is genuine in her regret. Not that it makes it fine, just the update makes his ex seem naive and maybe dumb more than some weirdo that wants to be able to sleep around while not permitting her husband to do the same.

for sure, but it's better to find out your spouse is easily manipulated by a third party into weird sex ideas before you marry them

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Chaosfirev posted:

We should get back on topic, I recently got my first girlfriend and these stories have been extremely valuable learning tools.

You read this thread and chose to be in a relationship?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Hello Ketene posted:

[UPDATE] Fiance wanted an open marriage, so I called off the wedding. People are asking questions. Should I let them know why?
Burn it. Make a video of you burning it that opens with "I haven't read this journal." and pouring lighter fluid on it. Then absolutely ghost that entire family.

That's if he actually wants to be rid of her though, which he obviously doesn't because he keeps letting himself get set up for these ridiculous intervention-style guilt trips.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Ouhei posted:

The more I read this the more I start to kind of dislike the op in that situation. I dunno if it's just his writing, but it all feels so...clinical?

Maybe I'm misreading it, but it also sounds a lot like his ex was manipulated into this by a seriously bad therapist and is genuine in her regret. Not that it makes it fine, just the update makes his ex seem naive and maybe dumb more than some weirdo that wants to be able to sleep around while not permitting her husband to do the same.

yeah i mean he should leave her for good and all but "the only journal i read are those of dead poets :smug:" is just fuccboi poo poo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I dunno how the weird take on my posts has now progressed from that I hate vegetarians to that I hate vegetables but I fully accept that my role in this derail was to be a proxy avatar for everyone that has ever slighted or annoyed Luxury Handset, this is simply my lot in life

Admiral Ray posted:

Ah, yeah, that sounds great, definitely wanna marry someone incapable of all that poo poo. Yes. Shovel all the responsibility away. Fan-loving-tastic.

:sever:, throw the journal away, and move on.

That part was 100% a desperation move on her part, I doubt she really "meant" it and it would have been a terrible idea for both of them if he accepted

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hello Ketene posted:

[UPDATE] Fiance wanted an open marriage, so I called off the wedding. People are asking questions. Should I let them know why?

Everyone in this story is a dramatic, self-important whiner with too much free time and I hate them all. Just loving return the journal and stop having big meetings about your relationship with your entire family. This reads like Jane Austen or one of those dead English writers girls go crazy for because everyone is pining and whining all the time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

stop having big meetings about your relationship with your entire family.

this is exactly how a bunch of upper middle class wasps would deal with the implosion of a upcoming wedding after it is mostly settled

if it's fake it is spot on

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Hello Ketene posted:

Called this fake when the first part was posted, but if it isn't, this guy definitely doesn't sound too upset about a 9 year long relationship going down the drain.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I hadn't even thought about OP's writing style because the subject matter was that buckwild but yeah he does come off as a pretentious douche

but at least he's not a doormat

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

luxury handset posted:

this is exactly how a bunch of upper middle class wasps would deal with the implosion of a upcoming wedding after it is mostly settled

Yeah I was gonna say, given the amount of information they have about the situation (basically just "ok no wedding now, OP never talking to fiancee again") it's a very believable reaction on their part but it sounds p excruciating for OP to sit through

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Should I [21F] reconnect with my childhood best friend [21M] in prison?

quote:

This one's a doozy..

Okay. So about two years ago, my childhood best friend was engaged and had a kid on the way. He was so happy and I was happy for him. That was the last time we spoke.

Now, a few months after that I read a headline on Facebook saying his fiancee was arrested for capital murder. It turns out that she had been dealing with some severe post-partum depression (among other things likely) and had killed their baby. I hadn't even known his child had died in the first place! I felt so awful about not saying anything, not going to the funeral, I didn't even send a grief text. I was so caught up in how poo poo I was, how guilty I felt... And then a few weeks after that, I read another headline on FB. He had been arrested for killing someone.

I know it's not my fault or anything, but I still can't help but feel like I should have been there for him. It's not like we were super close at the time, not since we were 15 or so, but we had always been cordial. We kept in touch. But now I feel like I dropped the ball when I should have helped him get through his stuff. I feel like if I had talked to him, been there for him, that there's a chance he wouldn't have done what he did.

Now he's in prison and I don't know what to do. His parents have reached out and told me that he's in desperate need of a friend right now, but I don't think I can face him. I'm still so ashamed. Is it too late to be there for him?

TL;DR How do I overcome the guilt from not being there for a friend when they really needed me, and is it too late now?
Yes, you definitely could have prevented murder with the power of friendship, OP.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Ouhei posted:

The more I read this the more I start to kind of dislike the op in that situation. I dunno if it's just his writing, but it all feels so...clinical?

She probably is dumb and naive but oh well, what're you gonna do, she already hosed the relationship up irreparably

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ravenkult posted:

Called this fake when the first part was posted, but if it isn't, this guy definitely doesn't sound too upset about a 9 year long relationship going down the drain.
beep boop op has not shown the required minimum emotion units via text about the relationship ergo story = FALSE

[dailup modem noises]

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

tactlessbastard posted:

You read this thread and chose to be in a relationship?

I try to keep my personal life and shitposting seperate.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

luxury handset posted:

I misread this at first and pictured a bunch of well to do wasps hanging out around their nest working out relationship problems.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like the parts where he talks about how hot the ex is and how much he wants to bang her, even if he hates her and her entire family. Sounds like a keeper.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I think it's more that he couldn't wait to get all these sick burns on her and her family that makes it seem a little fictitious.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Ouhei posted:

OP is prolly writing like that because he disassociates from any emotional duress and tricks himself into thinking he's being super rational and smart while rampaging around like a gelded bull.

Also, prediction based on this:

quote:

I don't think I will meet them next Friday.
But, drat! She did look amazing!

He's gonna go back.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Leon Einstein posted:

I think it's more that he couldn't wait to get all these sick burns on her and her family that makes it seem a little fictitious.

Lol I checked out the reddit comments and even they're calling it fake

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Xenocides posted:

I misread this at first and pictured a bunch of well to do wasps hanging out around their nest working out relationship problems.

wasps never have these problems.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

Ducks do, though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Ducks do, though.

poo poo you beat me to it :mad:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Based on how involved the families are, it reads like the OP's family are a bunch of peanut butter magnates and his fiance's family runs a jelly empire and this marriage absolutely must happen for business reasons. That, and the giant backyard of intrigue with multiple plot exposition benches that are easily obscured from each other.

Upper Crustless: a new hit drama available to all Amazon Prime subscribers this Fall.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pick posted:

I would watch a show about wasp courtship issues.

Admiral Ray posted:

Ducks do, though.

And the forbidden love one of them has for a duck.

She has a beak, he has a stinger, can love bridge the divide?

No

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 24, 2018

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Yawgmoth posted:

beep boop op has not shown the required minimum emotion units via text about the relationship ergo story = FALSE

[dailup modem noises]

I buy it because it's dumb enough that if it's fake, he's earned my credulity, but he does have this weirdly detached writing style that's almost like someone writing a book. I'm willing to chalk that up to him going over the story a billion times in his own head, though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

Based on how involved the families are, it reads like the OP's family are a bunch of peanut butter magnates and his fiance's family runs a jelly empire and this marriage absolutely must happen for business reasons. That, and the giant backyard of intrigue with multiple plot exposition benches that are easily obscured from each other.

Upper Crustless: a new hit drama available to all Amazon Prime subscribers this Fall.

rich white people are all about suffering in silence in loveless marriages rather than facing the shame of having your sex problems go public

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah I was a little on the fence about the original but the update is too seamless. He's practically begging redditors to demand excerpts from the diary.

Oh well still a fun read.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

cumshitter posted:

:perfect:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's all too perfect, he just happens to be paranoid enough to record the conversation at the therapist's office, she proposes an obviously insane idea and he just nopes out of there super dramatically, owning the dumb woman.

It's tailor made for Reddit.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

WampaLord posted:

It's all too perfect, he just happens to be paranoid enough to record the conversation at the therapist's office, she proposes an obviously insane idea and he just nopes out of there super dramatically, owning the dumb woman.

It's tailor made for Reddit.

I once heard about a guy physically incapable of holding farts in. Anything is possible!

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Batterypowered7 posted:

I once heard about a guy physically incapable of holding farts in. Anything is possible!

What?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

WampaLord was saying the story has too many elements that make it seem like it was written specifically for Reddit. I was jokingly referencing something about farts from much earlier in the thread as "proof" that if that story was true, then anything could be.

E: It was WampaLord. WampaLord was the one that couldn't hold in the farts.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 24, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That's not exactly how it went down, but if that's my legacy from this thread, so be it. I do apologize for claiming the post was fake, as it doesn't really add anything to the discussion and it's more fun if we assume everything is real anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats on convicting Andy Dufresne, goons.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Barudak posted:

Congrats on convicting Andy Dufresne, goons.
that dude was fuckin' guilty

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
sorry they made a horseshit movie about his delusional power fantasies but he was guilty as hell

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Yes, you definitely could have prevented murder with the power of friendship, OP.

Looks like someone ran out of money for the commissary.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

You avoided getting murdered by two different crazy people because you werent in their orbit of awareness and your question is “how do i make myself more visible to confirmed violent murderers”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guys I saw a bear cub in the woods once, how much honey and raw salmon is appropriate to slather on myself before wandering into random caves while hiking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I was hoping we'd get an update on the guy with the therapist and his *misunderstood* wife. I like how she's the victim even though she constantly lures him into places where parties unconcerned are there to ambush him. Oh, no, dude. She's not "manipulative"! That would be a terrible thing to say about the future mother of your equally stupid children!

And lol @ "our parents". I'm not :mra: enough to even use the expression really, but if cuck is a thing, this guy is it. She cheated on him, she lied to him, now she's dragging everyone into it because that's the way she best knows to tilt the field to her favor. Someone else's parents have zero loving say over who you marry, dude. If this guy's for real, he's living in the loving Victorian era, at best. Parents tell you to "work it out"? "gently caress you, old man."

Gah.