Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You know what I mean

Is it "vaguely sounds like"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t think it’s worth getting worked up over.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
No but sometimes having fun on a comedy website is fun.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I will fight everyone on these forums to defend my gear choices tbh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite delay is the MD-2 from Guyatone. It's probably one of the cheapest delays I've ever gotten and it doesn't even have tap tempo, but goly gosh darnit, it's like making out in the pool/jacuzzi.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
My rig = gretsch white falcon > digitech rp 100 with faulty patch up footswitch > Friedman Dirty Shirley

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kilometers Davis posted:

I will fight everyone on these forums to defend my gear choices tbh

Tone wars

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Novum posted:

Tone wars

whoever wins, we lose

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Any kind of deep blue delay clone (caline or one of the other Chinese brands) is great because unlike the carbon copy’s bucket brigade the digital chip at the heart of the dbd is actually pretty cheap so there’s not many compromises required to do a 1 to 1 ripoff.

A lot of what makes analog and pseudo analog delays sound so good is actually the filtering originally intended to hide the noise the chip introduces.

DSP based delays on the other hand I’m prepared to pay a bit more for.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 25, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Is it "vaguely sounds like"?

Basically, yes

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Basically, yes

I am a Johnny Marr clone

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Like I'm always harping on about: the Behringer VD400 uses actual BBD chips and is like $25.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Schlieren posted:

I am a Johnny Marr clone

I’m an Elvis Costello clone

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My parents just sent me the pedals I left there when I moved out, so if you were curious what kind of cheap crap a cash-strapped teen in the mid-90s used here you go:

The blank Soundtank is a flanger. The wah is a Morley and it really sucks. I don't know if it's defective or what but it has no treble at all and heel down the signal basically disappears.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Like I'm always harping on about : the Behringer VD400 uses actual BBD chips and is like $25.
Based on your previous recommendation of the Behringer Super Fuzz (now my favorite pedal, despite costing 1/10th of my Zvex stuff,) I will pick one of these up.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Anime Reference posted:

My parents just sent me the pedals I left there when I moved out, so if you were curious what kind of cheap crap a cash-strapped teen in the mid-90s used here you go:

The blank Soundtank is a flanger. The wah is a Morley and it really sucks. I don't know if it's defective or what but it has no treble at all and heel down the signal basically disappears.

The uber-short delay in the Hard Rock Distortion is great for making airplane noises with a whammy bar. Never had a chance to try it with a flanger, but I'm sure it would enhance the effect.

Morelys are optical wahs, so you might able to fix it by cleaning the light and sensor inside.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

After The War posted:

Morelys are optical wahs, so you might able to fix it by cleaning the light and sensor inside.

I found a Youtube demo and the guy's sounds just like mine so this might just be what Morleys sound like.

Unfortunately I don't have the right power supply for the FX57 (old DODs don't use the Boss-style power supply, they have their own that looks like a headphone plug) and I don't particularly want to waste one of my batteries on it, so I can't comment on what it sounds like.

The flanger at least works, aside from the switch being a little flakey.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

FX57 is such a weird and therefore great idea: take an HM-2 and add a 4ms delay to "thicken" it. lol <3

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

FX57 is such a weird and therefore great idea: take an HM-2 and add a 4ms delay to "thicken" it. lol <3

that sounds pretty great? Is it not as good as that would seem to be?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Unironically, I think it's cool.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Snowy posted:

that sounds pretty great? Is it not as good as that would seem to be?

It's only got one tone knob so you can't do the Swedish buzzsaw that is the only reason anyone ever buys an HM-2.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm going to be checking out phasers some time soon. I had the realisation that despite gobs of dirt pedals all I ever use (and have written 23 demo tracks for an album with) is phaser in front of my amp, my amp clean/crunch/gain sound and a delay for lead.

Basically, if it's clean or a lead it might have delay + phaser (or either) and if it's heavy rhythm then it's tracked dry (but like eight times because it's "my sound" y'know?).

I have a good delay (Boss DD-3). It's simple and sounds great. I wish it had Tap Tempo but I like the sound so I'll live with it. That leaves phaser. My bandmate has an EHX Bad Stone and holy poo poo it sounds good. When I track demos I use a Small Stone model (I know 6 vs 4 stage). I've never tried a Phase 90 or Boss PH-3, both of which I am keen to try soon.

Basically, what basic but nice sounding phasers should I be looking at? A Gillamondo is cool but totally out of my price range. A Chase Bliss Wombtone is too much. Looking for simple and good. Rate and Depth are preferable but I'll live with just Rate. Thanks y'all.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Anime Reference posted:

Unfortunately I don't have the right power supply for the FX57 (old DODs don't use the Boss-style power supply, they have their own that looks like a headphone plug) and I don't particularly want to waste one of my batteries on it, so I can't comment on what it sounds like.

As the owner of um... 9 DOD pedals, this thing does the job. But if you don't want to throw a battery in it, you probably don't want to buy a dedicated adapter-adapter.

(Though if you want to get into collecting pedals, it's worth it to have one or two, since a lot of old American brands used the Male Prong, like EHX, MXR, and ProCo.)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm going to be checking out phasers some time soon. I had the realisation that despite gobs of dirt pedals all I ever use (and have written 23 demo tracks for an album with) is phaser in front of my amp, my amp clean/crunch/gain sound and a delay for lead.

Basically, if it's clean or a lead it might have delay + phaser (or either) and if it's heavy rhythm then it's tracked dry (but like eight times because it's "my sound" y'know?).

I have a good delay (Boss DD-3). It's simple and sounds great. I wish it had Tap Tempo but I like the sound so I'll live with it. That leaves phaser. My bandmate has an EHX Bad Stone and holy poo poo it sounds good. When I track demos I use a Small Stone model (I know 6 vs 4 stage). I've never tried a Phase 90 or Boss PH-3, both of which I am keen to try soon.

Basically, what basic but nice sounding phasers should I be looking at? A Gillamondo is cool but totally out of my price range. A Chase Bliss Wombtone is too much. Looking for simple and good. Rate and Depth are preferable but I'll live with just Rate. Thanks y'all.

I still think the 70s small stones are the best sounding phasors ever. You can usually find them for around 150 bucks. The bad stone is next. The ph-3 is a bit more sterile but it has a lot of cool features (I like the step feature). I find the mxr stuff meh and always have.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

literally check out the mz-2

it not only has 3 different delay times but also 2 different chorus effects after probably the mode of a ds-2 distortion

plus it’s one of the very few distortions with stereo outs

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Joyo Vintage Phase. Analogue, dirt cheap, hilariously simple, will give you chorusy sounds to near-Leslie sounds with one switch. I guess you could spend more if you really want to, it might be a little noisy for some.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Prophecysound Pi-Phase Mk2. It's a MuTron Bi-Phase clone and it's only $475!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

syntaxfunction posted:

I went down a huge hole of Phaser research or a year or so back. I’m telling you with 100% honesty and enthusiasm that if you want the best tone and best feeling one with pure simplicity of control, buy this. It’s so good. One of the best pedals I’ve played. There’s one on Reverb right now for $100.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Anime Reference posted:

I found a Youtube demo and the guy's sounds just like mine so this might just be what Morleys sound like.

I have a Morley Classic Wah from about the same age and I hate it as well. There's about 20% in the middle of the pedal travel range where it actually does anything and the rest is just pointless. And it did that from new. I wouldn't recommend them ever.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Looks like it's an optical wah, no inductor in sight. Lol.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
My best analogy for what I don't like about it is that it sounds like a synth with the filter resonance turned down too low.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

syntaxfunction posted:

You should at least try a Phase 90, they're classics for a reason. I love my block logo for bass, though I do wish it had a master volume.

I can't recommend the Wombtone. It's ridiculously complex, most of the settings aren't really usable, and I actually liked the sound of the Phase 90 better.

I'd really like to get my hands on a DOD Phasor or HBE Psilocybe.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Juaguocio posted:

I can't recommend the Wombtone. It's ridiculously complex, most of the settings aren't really usable, and I actually liked the sound of the Phase 90 better.

I’m borrowing a friend’s Wombtone and, so far, it is not good. But who am I to the might of Joel Korte?? :shrug:

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you can find an Ibanez ph99 phaser and have the pedal board real estate grab it. Massively underrated lush phase with two footswitchable modes.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you've ever wondered why multi-stage/super lush phasers are so expensive: they are a bitch to make because they have to be hand-tuned in several spots. Even the venerable (and affordable!) Phase 90 has to be dialed-in.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I’ve been sort of tempted by the Phase 45, but I’m really fond of the Red Witch phaser.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When you find a phaser you love you hold on to it as tightly as you can and never let go. ❤️❤️❤️

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

When you find a phaser you love you hold on to it as tightly as you can and never let go. ❤️❤️❤️

My Morphine Dream broke and they don't make them anymore :cry:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s kinda ridiculous how passionate I am about my Whirlwind. I don’t even pay attention to other phasers. It’s that exact old school lush sound I always heard in my head. Probably the first time I’ve ever got the exact sound I wanted out of a pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I checked out a bunch of reviews a while back between the MXR M300, Neunaber Immerse and the tc Hall of Fame 2. I made up my mind at the time to get the HoF2, but I finally decided to go to my local shop and buy one to find that they don't stock tc any more, but they do have the EHX Oceans 11, and as far as I can tell from reviews and descriptions the EHX sounds better with the only exception being that it's mono only. I figure if I want stereo I would get a Blue Sky anyway (or use a VST plugin) so that's not a factor. I also have a Holeyboard Wide and after 2 practice sessions I'm starting to regret all the open space on it so probably going to get a PedalTrain Classic JR. Any reason not to get either of those tomorrow?