Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

$20 I don't need to spend is $20 I don't need to spend plus they probably cost more here. And I literally just watch stuff on CR plus like one Netflix show a year so I don't see the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

homeless snail posted:

The PS4 kinda sucks at it though, and those other things are like $20 each

if youre just gonna give me twenty bucks i'll buy whatever

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

veni veni veni posted:

Because it works fine as a streaming box and I don't want to buy another piece of tech I don't need for streaming. I guess I could just use my Xbox or Switch (lol jk I cant use my switch) instead.

The only thing that sucks is that I like to watch movies with earbuds since my Sony Headset gets hot and my TV speakers suck. And I need to keep the controller on for that. Even if you don't touch the DS4 it'll fast forward if you look at it weird.

I still think the guy that designed the DS4's streaming functionality should be publicly executed.

It's a huge combo purchase, but Apple TV with AirPods is incredibly good. Also they'll pay for themselves after about 10 years when you factor in the energy consumption savings!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You definitely don’t NEED one but yeah I have a Fire TV and it’s so so much better for streaming than the PS4 or any in-TV apps.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

enojy posted:

Also they'll pay for themselves after about 10 years when you factor in the energy consumption savings!

lmao if you think AirPod batteries will last even five years

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

AirPods are so good I’ll happily buy a new pair every other year tbh

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gently caress a derail. I’m booting up Yakuza 0 and mayyybe finishing it this morning! Only chapters 16 and 17 to go!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Dennis McClaren posted:

I just bought my first new console in 15 years. The last one I owned was an Xbox original in high school.
I feel like having the power of a PS4 in my life all the sudden is going to blow my mind. I'm so far gone from gaming culture that it's going to be surreal trying to catch up.

Wellcome. The PS4 is a good machine, and now is a good moment to start using it. You will probably get some really good games from the used games market, once you figure out what you want in games.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sony, why the gently caress did you apparently only turn out a single print run of universal media remotes and are now making me hunt for one online that isn't hideously overpriced?

I want to use my PS4 for streamed media without using a dualshock :colbert:.

They just announced a new one https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/23/introducing-the-cloud-remote-for-ps4/

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Samuringa posted:

How come the digital release is only on the 28th? :(

Regy Rusty posted:

Whaaat mine isn't coming till Tuesday :mad:

the place i ordered from, shopto, (uk) they send their poo poo out early to arrive on day of release for customer promise, so if its a tuesday release they send friday but since i live close to the shopto distribution warehouses and have amazing post service, i get tuesday releases on saturday. if it were a friday release i'd get it thursday, wednesday if i'm really lucky. most of the mid-tier shops do it, been that way over here for decades on places like amazon too until they started using their own poo poo delivery guys and you werent getting stuff until 8pm on day of release.

anywho, ps4 has no weird "banning if caught playing early" type thing right? i remember that being a thing on x360.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, and that never happened on 360 unless you were playing a pirated version.

My copy came today too but I won't have time to play it because I have a stupid wedding to go to

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Sakurazuka posted:

No, and that never happened on 360 unless you were playing a pirated version.

Yeah this was basically an urban legend. I got Mass Effect two weeks early thanks to Kmart being idiots and played it connected the whole time.

A few people did get incorrectly caught up when Halo 3 came out iirc but that quickly got sorted out as Microsoft refined the detection method they were using.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dennis McClaren posted:

I just bought my first new console in 15 years. The last one I owned was an Xbox original in high school.
I feel like having the power of a PS4 in my life all the sudden is going to blow my mind. I'm so far gone from gaming culture that it's going to be surreal trying to catch up.

You're in for a treat. Do you have a PC or have you totally missed out on gaming for the last decade+?

If you limit yourself to just games released since 2015 (basically whenever bloodborne came out) you'll still have an incredible selection. If possible see what your library has on offer to find out what your tastes are.

I recommend starting off with uncharted 4 if you're overwhelmed. It's barely a game, more like a movie, but is pretty fantastic and shows off the ps4s graphical abilities.

Then there's a million great action RPGs (Witcher, hzd, BB, gow, nioh, nier, mhw, yakuzas, mgsv, ds3) with more or less story and more or less combat per your tastes, plus the big open world rockstar games (gtav, rdr2), fun shooters (doom), etc

And I'm ignoring countless genrees

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 25, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm disappointed that I only got a couple hours into Nioh. It just wasn't clicking for me

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

$20 I don't need to spend is $20 I don't need to spend plus they probably cost more here. And I literally just watch stuff on CR plus like one Netflix show a year so I don't see the point.

One of the underrated uses of chrome cast / fire sticks / etc is that you can take them with you while traveling and use them on random hotel / air bnb TVs.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Over There posted:

I'm disappointed that I only got a couple hours into Nioh. It just wasn't clicking for me

It's definitely not for everyone. It's more like mhw than the other games I've played where the whole point becomes the grind but has great combat. I was gonna get super into it then nioh2 got announced and I figured why bother

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Because it works fine as a streaming box and I don't want to buy another piece of tech I don't need for streaming. I guess I could just use my Xbox or Switch (lol jk I cant use my switch) instead.

The only thing that sucks is that I like to watch movies with earbuds since my Sony Headset gets hot and my TV speakers suck. And I need to keep the controller on for that. Even if you don't touch the DS4 it'll fast forward if you look at it weird.

I still think the guy that designed the DS4's streaming functionality should be publicly executed.

You could get the little remote control for movies instead, maybe Bluetooth earbuds or an eighth inch cable extender for your listening preference.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I did it. I completed my first Yakuza game. Holy poo poo what a ride. The last 3 hours or so were some of the best I’ve ever seen in gaming. These characters are very, very special to me. The personal transformations of Kiryu/Majima at the end inspired me in real life not even gonna lie.

btw Lao Gui is the scariest god drat thing I’ve ever experienced what the hell

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 25, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I did it. I completed my first Yakuza game. Holy poo poo what a ride. The last 3 hours or so were some of the best I’ve ever seen in gaming. These characters are very, very special to me. The personal transformations of Kiryu/Majima at the end inspired me in real life not even gonna lie.

hell yeah! same tbh.

i only found this out recently but this is the Chinese version of lao gui.

lol.

edit: dont end it now tho, i highly recommend loving around in Premium Adventure now and again for missed substories/optional boss/disco time with nishiki

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

hell yeah! I really do love the final chapters although Majima should probably have been the one to fight Shibusawa rather than Kiryu tbh.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Inspector Hound posted:

You could get the little remote control for movies instead, maybe Bluetooth earbuds or an eighth inch cable extender for your listening preference.

If you have a Roku (or Roku TV) you can use the Roku app on your cellphone to enable "private listening mode" which streams all TV audio to your phone so you can plug a pair of headphones into it

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

hell yeah! I really do love the final chapters although Majima should probably have been the one to fight Shibusawa rather than Kiryu tbh.

You think so? I thought it worked out perfectly as is but I guess I could see it going that way. Mayyyybe.

Vikar Jerome posted:

hell yeah! same tbh.

i only found this out recently but this is the Chinese version of lao gui.

lol.

edit: dont end it now tho, i highly recommend loving around in Premium Adventure now and again for missed substories/optional boss/disco time with nishiki

That’s hilarious but also BAD. He is not my hideous not okay faced boy!!!

I will for sure. Now I need to figure out what ones outside of the substories lead to amusing cutscenes. I don’t want to miss stuff but I also don’t want to 100% the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kilometers Davis posted:

AirPods are so good I’ll happily buy a new pair every other year tbh

Hahahaha. Apple fanboys are so dumb.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*spends $500 on a five year old gaming system*

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Jokes on you, everyone is dumb. :v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's true. But Apple fanboys are the grand marshalls of the stupidity parade.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sony, why the gently caress did you apparently only turn out a single print run of universal media remotes and are now making me hunt for one online that isn't hideously overpriced?

I want to use my PS4 for streamed media without using a dualshock :colbert:.

As someone who bought the PDP Media Remote, you are way better off using your TV remote over HDMI CEC than wasting money on the Media Remote. I constantly had to pull a battery out and re-seat it to get the remote to work, and it was laggy as hell. All my equipment is Sony, so there was no excuse for the TV and amp control on it to stop working all the time. Once I got rid of the cable box that was causing CEC and ARC not to work on my TV, everything was perfect. Using my TV remote I can even just pick the input for the PS4, it automatically turns on if it’s off or sleeping, then the PS4 lets me select a profile to sign into and everything works.

The Media Remote was a waste of $40.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

That’s another PDP remote. Avoid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's the worst abuse of "cloud" I've seen in a while

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waltzing Along posted:

That's true. But Apple fanboys are the grand marshalls of the stupidity parade.

I may be a little biased but I think the people who latch on to some random manufacturer and fanboy after them just as hard to prove they know better than the Apple fanboys are dumber.

Sure there’s more Apple fanboys to make fun of, but a Samsung or Huawei fanboy’s a special sort of deluded.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

That's the worst abuse of "cloud" I've seen in a while

There hasn't been any new footage of the FF7 remake in a long time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

There hasn't been any new footage of the FF7 remake in a long time.

Time to reinstall my Cloud to Butz addon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dewgy posted:

Sure there’s more Apple fanboys to make fun of, but a Samsung or Huawei fanboy’s a special sort of deluded.

Is there such a thing? I know that for phones Samsung are the best US/commercial and Huawei are the best overall. But for other things?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there such a thing? I know that for phones Samsung are the best US/commercial and Huawei are the best overall. But for other things?

You can find fanboys for pretty much any piece of hardware if you look hard enough, yeah, though usually the really die hard crazy ones are like the old school XGP-developers crowd and stuff like that. Cell phone nerdery is a fascinating little bubble.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Woo finally won a couple matches of Dead By Daylight as a survivor. You guys should try this if you have PS+, it’s pretty exciting!

revolther
May 27, 2008
Samsung fan boys are a single or double digits sort of thing. People don't buy galaxy phones because of anything other than being the "BEST ANDROID PHONE AVAILABLE" according to their phone carrier. There isn't any sort of loyalty other than the bogo or 50% off discounts for turning them in for the new one. If all of a sudden sprint/t-mobile/att offered a Razor Gaming phone as the high end android phone and you would see a significant portion of the demographics just switch over night.

Android reviewers are chomping at the bit to get the next big device, but android consumers are just pragmatically trying to have a good phone while not paying out the rear end for it. Samsung's cornered that now, but it could easily go with whoever makes the next pixel phone.

If essential makes another phone with the same flagship specs and budget price, that whole dynamic could change overnight.

It's very weird that Fortnite is the game that has people asking if their phone can run it. I dunno if that's happened before about mobile gaming.

revolther fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 25, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Slime Rancher is fun

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Do any of the like four PS4 media remotes even turn the PS4 on

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Waltzing Along posted:

They’re both great for giving all your data to Google/The People’s Republic of China, and for making people laugh at what a smug douchebag you are to be so concerned over what other people use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Finally playing the Shenmue remaster now. Have gotten a couple days and hours in. They fixed the camera, which was the main thing I wanted them to do for the first game. Now off to chase sailors for a few more days until Yakuza Kiwami 2 and then Spiderman. PlayStation is cool and good.