Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah I really doubt the average is anywhere close to 180hp. I'd guess between 100-140hp.

Stats rules everything around me.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Avg displacement on new cars sold in Sweden is 1797 cm3, only Luxemburg buy larger engines in Europe. Compare with for example Denmark at 1385 cm3. New Swedish cars have on avg 149,6 hp, in Denmark it's 104,7 hp. Just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Mmm, a period go-faster build in general would be really interesting. OHV conversions for flathead V8s and so on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Since the euro displacement tangent sprung up again, let me tell you the tales and wonders of the beatiful world of Italian car ownership. You pay an ownership tax based on the power AND the euro emission class. If you have an engine with more than 185 kW (252 HP) you pay 20€ for each kW extra after 185. You pay your insurance based on a matrix of values (sex, age, city, years since the last accident, safety equipment installed on the vehicle and displacement) where the second most important is displacement(the main one is age, until 30 yrs old you get classified as hormone fuelled teenager and you get hosed by the insurance rates). The third tax package is on fuels, i'll let you take a look at our madness in this wiki article https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accisa_sui_carburanti just to let that sink in, yes we are still paying taxes motivated to cover the war expenses for the ethiopian colony wars in the 1935-36(but to avoid looking like idiots we officially unified the 12 motivations into a unified tax package in 1995).

We had a lot of other clever ideas over the years with engine restrictions, we had a "supertax" back in the petrol crisis years where you got an hefty extra tax if you got more than 2l displacement so you had even maseratis, ferraris, lamborghinis and so on with itty bitty engines in order to avoid paying the tax. We recently introduced a learner license limit so that new drivers cannot drive a car with a engine power over 70kW and a power to weight ratio better than 55kW per ton making a lot of families unable to let their kid use the family car(most fiats were too powerful for their weight so they had to create a depowered variant of the 1.2l fire engine for the punto and the panda to avoid being cut from their golden goose of families buying the first car for their kids).

Just to give you an example, my old Suzuki swift 4x4, with a tiny euro4 petrol engine and 67kw costs me 173€/year in ownership taxes alone(insurance is a cool 5 hundo and I have passed my thirties since quite a while :smith: ).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 25, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Godholio posted:

My 300hp 327 dynoed 205 at the wheels in '09 or 10.

US manufacturers were switching from gross to net hp in the early 70s...you see a lot of horsepower drop-off from 71-72 or 72-73. I've always suspected part of it was to mask the actual detuning that was going on.

The changeover from Gross HP to SAE Net HP was 1971. It’s pretty easy to see in GM cars where the engines and compression ratio, etc. didn’t change from ‘70 to ‘71, like my Olds Cutlass.
My factory-rated 310 (gross) HP Olds 350 CI V8 put down a bit over 215 HP at the rear wheels, with headers, dual exhaust, mild cam, and intake.
That same engine in ‘71 was rated at closer to 250 HP net at the flywheel. Phone posting, so I don’t have exact numbers, but it was a significant difference. Gross HP numbers were with open exhaust manifolds and no accessories at all, and hand picked and tuned. SAE net required all accessories and belts, and full exhaust as installed. Emissions hit shortly after that, killing rated HP even more.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Kafouille posted:

Here in France the tax is now CO2 + Horsepower. I plugged the numbers for a Hellcat in the calculator, it would cost around 21000 Euro to register it.

€8712.40/year in Italy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My engines are 7.5 and 7.3 liters, and produce so god drat much of everything, and they're $87/year each because i live in a free country :canada:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Couldn't get a picture of it, but I saw someone driving a pre-OIF, 2 door HMMWV. It was registered as a road vehicle and just riding with the top down, which is super cool to me. It's been a while since I saw one in person, and I forgot how big and loud those things are

Super loving slow though, and the vehicle didn't seem to like braking very much. Even from a few cars away, I could see him fighting the brake bias as he came to a stop from 35mph

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Couldn't get a picture of it, but I saw someone driving a pre-OIF, 2 door HMMWV. It was registered as a road vehicle and just riding with the top down, which is super cool to me. It's been a while since I saw one in person, and I forgot how big and loud those things are

Super loving slow though, and the vehicle didn't seem to like braking very much. Even from a few cars away, I could see him fighting the brake bias as he came to a stop from 35mph

There are like, a million being filtered through govplanet.

https://www.govplanet.com/Humvees?kwtag=categorycarousel

It was hilarious for a while seeing everybody thinking they were gonna make a pile of money buying, pimping, and reselling them, but everybody knows they're hot garbage.

It seems even the "nice" ones go under $10k these days.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

It was hilarious for a while seeing everybody thinking they were gonna make a pile of money buying, pimping, and reselling them, but everybody knows they're hot garbage.

Oh, you can walk away with one for a few grand? That's much less cool than I thought it was. Still, kudos to him for buying it, registering it, and actually driving it

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

My engines are 7.5 and 7.3 liters, and produce so god drat much of everything, and they're $87/year each because i live in a free country :canada:

30 years or older is tax exempt because I live in a free country :sweden:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

30 years or older is tax exempt because I live in a free country :sweden:

my 7.3 is only 19 years old :colbert:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Stats rules everything around me.

Cool! I was trying to google some stats but only found displacement. Well wasn't that far off!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Powershift posted:

The thought has crossed my mind to buy one as a work truck. Then I remember the last 6.5 GM diesel I touched, what a hunk of poo poo. 55mph on the interstate would probably get old, too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

My engines are 7.5 and 7.3 liters, and produce so god drat much of everything, and they're $87/year each because i live in a free country province :canada:
Fixed :D

IDK how bad it would be in Ontario since I've never owned a car here, but I'm sure it's far, far, worse, especially in the GTA.

Anyway, have some cool pics: https://petrolicious.com/articles/take-a-tour-through-the-ultimate-automotive-candy-store-at-techno-classica

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What is that? :stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Clearly it's a STEENBUCK

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Isdera

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Clearly it's a STEENBUCK

Every car should have a street sign affixed to its front end

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Going back to the M5, where the hell are they running 10-second quarter miles with no cage? You can’t do that at any strip I’ve ever been to. Just what the hell is a person supposed to actually do with all this power?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Going back to the M5, where the hell are they running 10-second quarter miles with no cage? You can’t do that at any strip I’ve ever been to. Just what the hell is a person supposed to actually do with all this power?

-Be a belligerent soccer mom.
-race overeager kids at red lights
-never actually use that power, car is permanently locked in comfort mode.
-wrap it around a fancy tree when you do

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 26, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

That would be a pretty cool garage addition if I had a big snowy driveway up north.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dadliest Worrier posted:

nah, the better questions is what will it do on real tires and a prepped track with a couple of kids in the back

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Dennis McClaren posted:

That would be a pretty cool garage addition if I had a big snowy driveway up north.

I guess you get in by climbing over the seatback through the hatch?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You can't see the operator in that photo, because he's an infant lying on the floor. They built it around him, and he will grow into it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BlackMK4 posted:

nah, the better questions is what will it do on real tires and a prepped track with a couple of kids in the back

Shaken baby syndrome

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

-never actually use that power, car is permanently locked in comfort mode.

It’s depressing how much fuel is wasted on AMG and M cars that are just 4,000-lb display cases for the most expensive badging. The owners would have better cars if they’d just settle for the S550 or 550i or whatever.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Craptacular posted:

I guess you get in by climbing over the seatback through the hatch?

No hatch. That is rear engined.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dadliest Worrier posted:

It’s depressing how much fuel is wasted on AMG and M cars that are just 4,000-lb display cases for the most expensive badging. The owners would have better cars if they’d just settle for the S550 or 550i or whatever.

Yes but then we get to buy them cheap and hoon them. There's a low mileage 2006 SL85 near me that I'm keeping my eye on as long as nobody snatches it up before I can get the money set aside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The only engine thats ever truly made me say wow was that 4G63 some nutball squeezed 2,000 hp out of.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

INCHI DICKARI posted:

The only engine thats ever truly made me say wow was that 4G63 some nutball squeezed 2,000 hp out of.

Was that the one with like titanium camshafts and beryllium valve seats and poo poo? loving lunacy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Dadliest Worrier posted:

One and done boasting.

INCHI DICKARI posted:

HOW????

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

The thought has crossed my mind to buy one as a work truck. Then I remember the last 6.5 GM diesel I touched, what a hunk of poo poo. 55mph on the interstate would probably get old, too.

There's a dude who lives in my apartment complex who has one, who paid for two covered parking spots so he could park it under cover (it won't fit in a single one). It is the cleanest one I've ever seen, I'm pretty sure he repainted not only the body but the undercarriage as well. All of the bits on the body look factory new.
It's NEVER dirty, I'm fairly certain he doesn't drive it except for a quick 20 minute drive every weekend.
Same dude owns a big late-model white Yukon in full bro-dozer mode, also always completely spotless and with the undercarriage detailed.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
OK, who has this and is it :filez:?

quote:

Sounds of Sanford - Jets, Dragsters, Hot Rods. Fleetwood Records FSLP 3008 12’ LP Vinyl Record 1963

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Source your drat quotes

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

Fixed :D

IDK how bad it would be in Ontario since I've never owned a car here, but I'm sure it's far, far, worse, especially in the GTA.

Anyway, have some cool pics: https://petrolicious.com/articles/take-a-tour-through-the-ultimate-automotive-candy-store-at-techno-classica

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

also, 14 of 69

nice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

Source your drat quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy0eQh8TYgk

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Jesus christ, that turbo :lol:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Holy poo poo. Does that turbo count as a trim level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I'm the tachometer that needs another 10k RPM.

BitBasher posted:

Holy poo poo. Does that turbo count as a trim level?
The level of trim you'll be pulling with that turbo... :drat: