Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

I just don't watch magic shows on TV because I think it's a bad medium for it.

Obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4U-kHdXgz0

I really liked that show in general, keeping the magicians honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want to be really insufferably pedantic the word is 'prestidigitation'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I figured out pretty easily how he did the "purse snatcher" trick, where he steals someone's purse and apparently shows up as a cop literal seconds later. It's actually a neat bit of misdirection because it really isn't a "camera trick" in the sense most people would mean, but it kind of is a camera trick because they used the camera zooming to cover up what he was doing (run around the building and behind the cop car, pretend to get out of the car at the same time the person driving it pretends to get out)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lycus posted:

I just don't watch magic shows on TV because I think it's a bad medium for it.

What about the masked magician who reveals how magic tricks are done while Mitch Pillegi narrates?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
lol i remember when they had a big thing where he revealed himself and it turns out nobody cared

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha yeah it was some guy no one had heard of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They also tried to make a spin-off of the magic secrets show that was about pro-wrestling secrets. It didn't work so well because all they had was "sometimes the wrestler cuts himself and bleeds on purpose" and "the wrestler stomps his foot to make it seem like a kick is really landing". Yea no poo poo we all saw the wrestlers doing that when we were 8.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Parachute posted:

lol i remember when they had a big thing where he revealed himself and it turns out nobody cared

Somebody should track that dude down for a follow-up, but I imagine whatever is left of him after his trial in magicians court is stuck in a salt-filled glass coffin buried in the desert somewhere.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that trial was nuts. i cant believe the prosecutor called tony wonder to the stand to testify

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nobody cared about him until he put on the mask. And narced on everyone.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Stan vs. Evil isn't good, but it's good enough to scratch a stupid-horror itch. But goddamn do I ever wish Ash vs. Evil Dead had been renewed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Stan vs. Evil isn't good, but it's good enough to scratch a stupid-horror itch. But goddamn do I ever wish Ash vs. Evil Dead had been renewed.

Stan Against Evil. :D

I think it's pretty good for what it tries to be. Campy, low brow humor. I just got done watching the episode where Trevor Phillips is a Were-Horse and I haven't laughed at something so stupid in a long time.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Medullah posted:

Stan Against Evil. :D

I think it's pretty good for what it tries to be. Campy, low brow humor. I just got done watching the episode where Trevor Phillips is a Were-Horse and I haven't laughed at something so stupid in a long time.

Yeah, obvious why my brain stuttered on that one. =D

It was really, really, really rough at the beginning, but it turned a corner after a few episodes The endings tend to pay off. I think it was the last segment of episode three that won me over. ("I know you're pregnant, and I know it ain't mine.")

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fart City posted:

Somebody should track that dude down for a follow-up, but I imagine whatever is left of him after his trial in magicians court is stuck in a salt-filled glass coffin buried in the desert somewhere.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mystes posted:

Okay, if you think it's supposed to be a parody that is making fun of magic shows by intentionally showing impossible tricks that couldn't be performed in real life, that sort of makes sense but you seem to be the only person who has come to that conclusion.

that's what I've been trying to say too...though nobody else on the internet seems to see it that way and I could just be a a dumbass trying to give it more credit than it deserves. I still haven't watched all of it (and I've watched none of it sober), but I did get a Nathan Fielder-type vibe from parts of it.

e: I posted this without realizing that the production company (Abso Lutely) is the same as Nathan For You, Tim and Eric, the Mr Show reboot, Eric Andre's show, comedy bang bang and a bunch of other comedy. so yeah, definitely zero chance that it's a parody, guys. it's 100% serious real deal magic and should be taken at face value.

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 24, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

that's what I've been trying to say too...though nobody else on the internet seems to see it that way and I could just be a a dumbass trying to give it more credit than it deserves. I still haven't watched all of it (and I've watched none of it sober), but I did get a Nathan Fielder-type vibe from parts of it.

e: I posted this without realizing that the production company (Abso Lutely) is the same as Nathan For You, Tim and Eric, the Mr Show reboot, Eric Andre's show, comedy bang bang and a bunch of other comedy. so yeah, definitely zero chance that it's a parody, guys. it's 100% serious real deal magic and should be taken at face value.
But aren't shows like Nathan for You and Borat (which you mentioned earlier) shows where comedians deceive members of the public on camera but the audience is in on the deception?

I think you're right that this show is very similar, but the way the concept plays out here is that in many cases the magician suddenly performs seemingly impossible acts in front of (supposedly) unsuspecting people without explaining that he is a magician, but the audience naturally knows that they are supposed to be magic tricks, which adds an element of humor that normal magic shows may lack.

I think a show that sets out to be a parody of magic shows would likely be quite different.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This has got to be one of the weirdest derails we've ever had. It's not a parody in the sense that we're supposed to "know" he's full of poo poo.

Also he's been on Reddit's magic subforum defending his tricks the past few days.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
its worth noting that there's stuff goin on behind the scenes in Nathan for You that the viewer doesnt see there too like most reality shows, like the "drink pee" guy (the first one not the gas station guy) has said that nathan found him beforehand in an on-the-street interview where he talked about the power of pee and not believing in germs & all that

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's not the same as a magic show that uses video editing instead of tricks that would work irl in my opinion. And Nathan Fielder and the Co creator of the show have been up front about their process in interviews.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

That's not the same as a magic show that uses video editing instead of tricks that would work irl in my opinion. And Nathan Fielder and the Co creator of the show have been up front about their process in interviews.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand magic :smug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think maybe they are saying it's real because originally a real trick was occurring in each act, but then they decided to make it impossible to see how the trick was performed, including using effects to edit a backdrop or something when his wife popped out.

Probably their logic is that there was a real trick and the experience of watching the edited video is similar to seeing the trick in person for the first time (and missing stuff due to misdirection). The problem is that from the perspective of someone watching the show you aren't actually seeing the real tricks at that point, you're seeing effects/editing, so it's dubious to claim that the tricks are real from the perspective of the final tv show.

Edit: I think they should probably clarify this, but they sort of dug themselves in by billing the show as "real" and it may actually be hard to clarify it specifically at this point based on the belief that magicians must never reveal their tricks

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 24, 2018

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Gosh dang in I'm looking for a decent movie to watch on a Friday night on Netflix but they either sound terrible or I've seen em all. Maybe I should just pick something like "Selfie From Hell" where at least I can enjoy the cast getting murdered?? Just want something trashy that my wife wouldn't want to watch if she were here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Marmaduke! posted:

Gosh dang in I'm looking for a decent movie to watch on a Friday night on Netflix

Just want something trashy that my wife wouldn't want to watch if she were here.

Hardcore Henry, my man

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Forgot to mention: I'm in the UK where the options on Netflix are inexplicably far worse than the US.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
This is the only unstaged magic trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ykPY7Y3LY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo more extravagant stage magic and especially TV magic just isn't interesting at all. If there's any question in my mind that plants or special effects are involved it just ruins it. If someone can pull some cool sleight of hand poo poo on me or trick me that's rad. I remember when David Blaine made the statue of liberty of a plane or something disappear and I had no idea why anyone gave a gently caress because it was on TV and any editor could easily make that happen.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The marshmallow trick is real, and I actually think its pretty clever.

Like, we've all seen stuff disappear under cups for a long time. The only difference is the editing gives us the impression the kids have a long time alone to inspect the cup with the false bottom.

But how the segment is edited is not in the contract with the viewer, and even if it were, he still stays honest. Notice once the marshmallow disappears so does the time clock.

Edit: For me the show doesn't work because he has a smarmy Youtuber delivery. I'm imagining the show with a self-loathing Chris Farley-type doing impossible magic but beating himself up for sorta loving it up. Or like, he's really sorry for making the kids cry, so he busts in with more marshmallows and just drops them all.

Warm und Fuzzy fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 25, 2018

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

:stare: not surprised this guy got caught up in #metoo

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The marshmallow trick is real, and I actually think its pretty clever.

Like, we've all seen stuff disappear under cups for a long time. The only difference is the editing gives us the impression the kids have a long time alone to inspect the cup with the false bottom.

It might not work how you think.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmu1pXnlbvz/

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
The problem with the magic show is that I'm not impressed when you don't rule out an obvious explanation. Normally, a magician will show that the space under a table is empty or whatever, even if it's really not and it's just a trick with mirrors. Or, even if the participant is obviously a plant, the trick is set up in a way that it's not obvious how knowing the answer ahead of time would work. Here, the tricks and editing don't rule things out.

Take the coffee trick, where the pattern on the foam changes from a leaf to whatever the participant says. I assume they're plants and he knows the answers ahead of time, so the trick needs to be how does the foam change. Except with all the cuts and close-ups, someone could easily just hand them a different cup. Maybe he's doing something more sophisticated, but it'd be pointless because he doesn't need to. I could reproduce that trick, and the only hard part finding a barista who can make the little designs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AngusPodgorny posted:

Take the coffee trick, where the pattern on the foam changes from a leaf to whatever the participant says. I assume they're plants and he knows the answers ahead of time, so the trick needs to be how does the foam change. Except with all the cuts and close-ups, someone could easily just hand them a different cup. Maybe he's doing something more sophisticated, but it'd be pointless because he doesn't need to. I could reproduce that trick, and the only hard part finding a barista who can make the little designs.

I'm 99% sure that was done by having a little remote controlled device under the lid that draws on the foam. Whenever he handles the lid he's super careful not to tilt it.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Whoa cool. Now that you mention it, the show definitely has vaping undertones.

In other streaming content news, I think I'd enjoy watching them film Hardcore Henry more than the movie itself. The credits are a lot of fun though.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

precision posted:

I'm 99% sure that was done by having a little remote controlled device under the lid that draws on the foam. Whenever he handles the lid he's super careful not to tilt it.
A good trick, and something they could have shown in one continuous shot with the cup on the screen the whole time. Which would've entertained me in a way that the show didn't.

Really I think the show should have focused more using magic to replicate psychological experiments on people, like with the marshmallow and the cosplay convention. Those were my favorite parts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Whoa cool. Now that you mention it, the show definitely has vaping undertones.

In other streaming content news, I think I'd enjoy watching them film Hardcore Henry more than the movie itself. The credits are a lot of fun though.

Hardcore Henry was a fun movie that I often couldn’t bear to look at because I was getting motion sick.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It was really just watching a YouTube Let's Play, but filmed as a movie.

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

poo poo, thanks for the Spring Breakers rec, that movie was everything I didn't know I needed.

Anyone have a rec for what to watch next? I feel like everything would pale in comparison, I should just wait a few days and rewatch it with the volume louder.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Innocents ep 2: I'm a little disappointed that she changed back so quickly, I think i wanted an episode of that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stumbled across Liquid Sky last night on Amazon Prime, and I'm still not exactly sure wtf I watched but it was pretty great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna be honest, I agreed with all the Hardcore Henry complaints and then some when I first saw it in a theater, but watching it on a TV screen actually made it a lot easier to follow and more comprehensible.

(Also, they excised that one joke I hated in the Netflix version, oddly enough. When Copley's talking to the Russian women, their dialogue is completely unsubtitled and the joke is way more clearly that he's just a moron who can't speak Russian.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I agreed with all the Hardcore Henry complaints and then some when I first saw it in a theater, but watching it on a TV screen actually made it a lot easier to follow and more comprehensible.

This is something that got me good with The Blair Witch Project. I could not take it in a movie theater, at all. Way too intense.