Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

soscannonballs posted:

I'm looking for shows similar to Liar Game or anything that deals with conspiracy theories.

Occultic;Nine is insane and all about conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'd also reccomend Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Occultic;Nine is insane and all about conspiracy theories.

It also moves at breakneck speed. Trying to cram an entire VN into 12 eps will do that.

Julias posted:

I'd also reccomend Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent

This is a good and correct recommendation.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AlternateNu posted:

It also moves at breakneck speed. Trying to cram an entire VN into 12 eps will do that.

I would argue that its pace is one of its best selling points. It goes so fast you don't have time to be bored. ... and honestly, I'd be into more anime if they used that kind of pace more often. Everyone talking at super-speed was a genuine delight to me.

Also whatever you do, don't watch Occultic;Nine and then something like Noir, you will immediately die of boredom even though Noir is really good - it's just that it's so, so slow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vookatos posted:

Hiya! Me and my boyfriend decided to give anime a chance and watched some shows. We didn't like some shows that are apparently super popular, but have found some that we absolutely loved, so now we're looking forward to something similar.

What we liked: FMA: Brotherhood (well paced, cool, and weirdly serious and political at times),
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 3 and 4 (loving insane, gay as poo poo, and incredibly funny/dumb show that becomes loving Twin Peaks for some reason),
Baccano (cool characters, good atmosphere and interesting story).

Whet we didn't like: One Punch Man and Mob Psycho (while funny at times, sometimes it felt like they're using the same joke over and over),
My Hero Academia (weirdly enough, school stuff was more interesting than actual story, as actual fights weren't really interesting. Also gently caress Mineta forever, I can't ignore poo poo like that),
JoJo Parts 1-2 (I mean, we liked them enough to keep going, but overall, hamon and samey villains were kinda dull).

Obviously we've heard about super famous animes, but for now we're looking for something with a good, gripping story/funny (that doesn't rely on boobs and weird humor that only people from Japan, or who are into Anime, can understand). Maybe something unique and eccentric.

Here's a good go-to selection of anime series to try if you want good story/and or action. Couple of these you've probably heard of if you're bringing up "super-famous animes", but just on the off chance something slipped off your list there's a few that probably qualify here;

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Trigun.
Outlaw Star.
Blood Blockade Battlefront.
The Big O.
Death Parade.
Eureka Seven.
Planetes.
Black Lagoon.
Hellsing Ultimate.

And a special recommendation for Monster, which is just 74-episodes of well-made mystery/drama television in its own right.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I haven't been watching as much anime as I used to and while I've sort of kind of been keeping up with some shows, this has affected my intake of comedic anime in particular. When I was still really into anime, I really enjoyed the type of humor in shows like Azumanga Daiou and School Rumble. But these are pretty much 15 years old already (drat).. are there any shows likes these that are more recent?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Funny Bunny posted:

I haven't been watching as much anime as I used to and while I've sort of kind of been keeping up with some shows, this has affected my intake of comedic anime in particular. When I was still really into anime, I really enjoyed the type of humor in shows like Azumanga Daiou and School Rumble. But these are pretty much 15 years old already (drat).. are there any shows likes these that are more recent?

Nichijou is pretty much just Azumanga except every character is as weird as Osaka.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Comedic anime in the vein of Azumanga Daioh and School Rumble...
  • Nichijou
  • Daily Lives of High School Boys
  • Lucky Star
  • ... and Hidamari Sketch maybe?
Well, that's what comes to mind.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cromartie High School is not recent, but in case you missed it, fix that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Non Non Biyori is completely boring and totally not comedic.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Cromartie High School is not recent, but in case you missed it, fix that.

I just finished watching this yesterday. The art looks really cheap and terrible but I honestly dont think they could have pulled off the humor they did using anything else. Watch anime Freddie Mercury.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've been enjoying this season's Grand Blue enormously. Is there an anime/manga that concentrates on the frattier aspects of school life? I know college animes can be slim pickings, but... y'know, someone here might know.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wark Say posted:

I've been enjoying this season's Grand Blue enormously. Is there an anime/manga that concentrates on the frattier aspects of school life? I know college animes can be slim pickings, but... y'know, someone here might know.

The Tatami Galaxy has a bit of that. I mean it's more of a surreal tour of college life in general and makes a lot of different stops along the way, but as you say, as subgenres go the pickings are pretty slim.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's so many reasons to watch The Tatami Galaxy that I would use the most tenuous of connections to suggest it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I do like the Tatami Galaxy, but I've already watched it this year. I was actually hoping someone would mention some off-the-beaten-path manga or some-such. Thanks for the attempt, though! :)

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
Nichijou, Lucky Star and Cromartie High School I've actually all seen. But even these shows are not that recent anymore, of course. Daily Lives of High School Boys I will definitely give a chance, thanks for the recommendation!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
what's that manga with the dorm or boarding house that's going to be shut down? I haven't read it so this is kind of a tentative rec but it might be in the neighborhood of what you're looking for idk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Everything Burrito posted:

what's that manga with the dorm or boarding house that's going to be shut down? I haven't read it so this is kind of a tentative rec but it might be in the neighborhood of what you're looking for idk
possibly Is Reiroukan Still Alive?

I remember it being pretty drat good for the most part, except it ends rather abruptly. But that, in itself considering the theme of it, is rather fitting.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that's the one, the title had completely left me

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Wark Say posted:

Comedic anime in the vein of Azumanga Daioh and School Rumble...
  • Nichijou
  • Daily Lives of High School Boys
  • Lucky Star
  • ... and Hidamari Sketch maybe?
Well, that's what comes to mind.

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and I daresay Kaguya-sama: Love is War are things that come to my mind whenever School Rumble is mentioned.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Folt The Bolt posted:

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and I daresay Kaguya-sama: Love is War are things that come to my mind whenever School Rumble is mentioned.
Hopefully without the godawful ending down the road. :ohdear:

Also, is there any anime or manga that feels/reads like it got inspired by the Condemned videogame? I remember liking the first game one a bunch (less enthused about the second one).

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Hopefully without the godawful ending down the road. :ohdear:

Godawful it might be, but I'll never stop liking School Rumble since pretty much everything else about it was fantastic in my opinion.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
At least School Rumble ended with the correct pairing, which is rare in anime.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

At least School Rumble ended with the correct pairing, which is rare in anime.

What pairing would that be? Tenma x Karasuma? Harima x Eri?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Ah, the OTP of many SR fans everywhere. (Including me.)

Yes, I agree with that. Best pairing actually happened which is great!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ok, so, i've noticed that a lot of the shows i like follow a weird formula. like, a really loving oddly specific one, honestly.

- two protags, one relatively passive, one seriously hosed in the head, who end up tied together somehow and usually have some weird past history together
-- sometimes they bone down, sometimes they end up hating each other, sometimes neither or both
- some sort of extremely grim high-stakes setting in which the protags must kill to survive
-- with just barely enough horror elements in the setting to qualify as such despite being like 85% action
- a linear progression of increasingly insane boss fights for the protags to go through, usually requiring the passive protag to develop a badass streak
- a tone that constantly jumps around between completely dead serious and surreal comedy
- usually a bittersweet ending, sometimes an outright downer or happy ending but not often

just off the top of my head, this applies to Mirai Nikki, Devilman Crybaby, Deadman Wonderland, Angels of Death, Killing Bites, Hellsing, and basically every single thing Nasu has ever written (definitely Kara no Kyoukai, Tsukihime, and the HF route of Fate/stay)

this isn't necessarily a rec request (though i def like shows that follow this weird formula and would appreciate more), but... does anyone know what the patient zero for this would be? or if this is some sort of codified genre? because it's starting to get a little silly how many of these things feel bizarrely goddamn similar to each other

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 31, 2018

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Out of the ones you mentioned, the original Devilman was written way back in the 70s. The work of Go Nagai and others from back then are the foundation for alot of what ends up in the scene today. Go Nagai for instance basically repopularised giant robots with Maziger Z and is often credited with creating the magical girl genre with Cutie Honey.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 31, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kokoro Wish posted:

Out of the ones you mentioned, the original Devilman was written way back in the 70s. The work of Go Nagai and other from back then are the foundation for alot of what ends up in the scene today.

well i should probably note a lot of those beats are specifically in Crybaby and not the original, Crybaby almost feels like it's reconfiguring the original to fit this formula in parts

like, the relationship between Akira and Ryo is way different in Crybaby and way more fitting for what I'm talking about (as is Akira's arc in general)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 31, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ok, so, i've noticed that a lot of the shows i like follow a weird formula. like, a really loving oddly specific one, honestly.

- two protags, one relatively passive, one seriously hosed in the head, who end up tied together somehow and usually have some weird past history together
-- sometimes they bone down, sometimes they end up hating each other, sometimes neither or both
- some sort of extremely grim high-stakes setting in which the protags must kill to survive
-- with just barely enough horror elements in the setting to qualify as such despite being like 85% action
- a linear progression of increasingly insane boss fights for the protags to go through, usually requiring the passive protag to develop a badass streak
- a tone that constantly jumps around between completely dead serious and surreal comedy
- usually a bittersweet ending, sometimes an outright downer or happy ending but not often

just off the top of my head, this applies to Mirai Nikki, Devilman Crybaby, Deadman Wonderland, Angels of Death, Killing Bites, Hellsing, and basically every single thing Nasu has ever written (definitely Kara no Kyoukai, Tsukihime, and the HF route of Fate/stay)

this isn't necessarily a rec request (though i def like shows that follow this weird formula and would appreciate more), but... does anyone know what the patient zero for this would be? or if this is some sort of codified genre? because it's starting to get a little silly how many of these things feel bizarrely goddamn similar to each other
makai tensho, a 1967 novel with a ton of film and anime both directly based on it and inspired by it, basically hits all these notes. the only real difference is that the second protag/love interest doesn't really do a ton.

content
Feb 13, 2014

A couple people in here recommended Flip Flappers a while ago, and boy is this show great. I haven't been so immediately into a show in ages. Totally worth checking out if you're into cute/funny/absurd stuff.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

makai tensho, a 1967 novel with a ton of film and anime both directly based on it and inspired by it, basically hits all these notes. the only real difference is that the second protag/love interest doesn't really do a ton.

ha ha ha holy poo poo so Ninja Resurrection/Samurai Reincarnation is basically patient zero for this :shittypop:

that's not something I saw coming, so I guess this genre would basically be "Makai Tensho clones"?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's Makai Tensho / Teito Monogatari clones all the way down. If that fails, Uncle Go and Daddy Tezuka got you covered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ha ha ha holy poo poo so Ninja Resurrection/Samurai Reincarnation is basically patient zero for this :shittypop:

that's not something I saw coming, so I guess this genre would basically be "Makai Tensho clones"?
now wait until you trace the line from makai tensho to shin megami tensei to persona, and the line from makai tensho to fate/stay night to like every visual novel made in the past decade

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

now wait until you trace the line from makai tensho to shin megami tensei to persona, and the line from makai tensho to fate/stay night to like every visual novel made in the past decade

I thought SMT was more Teito Monogatari than Makai Tensho, though I can def see the Fate/stay night connection pretty easily

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

To whoever said to watch Hunter x Hunter, thank you. A bit of an up and down series but the highs more than made up for the lows. Like Gon absolutely destroying Pitou. :stonk:

So I think I want to change things up a bit. Whats a good happy show that is focused more on adults instead of kids/teenagers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Furnaceface posted:

So I think I want to change things up a bit. Whats a good happy show that is focused more on adults instead of kids/teenagers.

Saint Young Men

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The anime is just a couple of OVA's, isn't it? But otherwise yeah, seconded really hard. :)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

To whoever said to watch Hunter x Hunter, thank you. A bit of an up and down series but the highs more than made up for the lows. Like Gon absolutely destroying Pitou. :stonk:

Servant x Service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Saint Young Men

Cant find this anywhere probably due to regional restrictions?

Nipponophile posted:

Servant x Service

Ill give this a go, looks like it doesnt take itself too seriously which is kind of what Im looking for.

Is sweetness & lightning worth watching? It shows up as recommended for me an awful lot.