Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Motronic posted:

Of course not, but it could fall anywhere between "solid investment property" to "cash flow negative pit of deferred maintenance with an underwater mortgage being rented to people using it as a meth lab." The poster seems to have no idea, so we wouldn't be able to determine this either.
Well, she's 21 and he's 39. Which isn't to say she's stupid, but is to say she probably doesn't have much experience with mortgages. The more immediate problem is that almost his entire paycheck goes to making debt payments, and those are minimum debt payments so interest is still a thing. That could just be from super bad credit card debt, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

A houseguest didn’t inform us he conceal carried and my toddler got his gun and shot it at her sister.

Sounds like they have fallen straight into "blame the literal 2-year-old" territory here and are expecting OP to send a "sorry our hellspawn child dared to lay hands upon your Constitutionally-guaranteed self-defense weapon" email lol

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [23F] loving dad passed away a while ago. My family cannot afford to get him a proper headstone. I want to pay for it, but my fiancé [24M] doesn't want me too even though we have plenty of money.

My dad and I had a very special bond. He was my everything. He passed away last Father's Day suddenly and in a very traumatic way which (I won't get into.) I'll just say that I held him to the very end. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me and on Father's Day of all days.

My family is very poor so he was creamated and buried. He doesn't have a headstone, just a tiny grave marker, which bothers me a LOT. I loved him so, he deserves a proper memorial because he was truly the most wonderful person I have ever known and he gave me everything.

I recently got my first job as an RN and my fiancé works in the space industry as an engineer. He makes plenty of money for us and happily provides. We keep all our money together. But now since I got a job, I am more able to contribute and save for things I want. I don't have a ton of money since I just started, but the job pays well and I have enough that it would not really affect our financial situation to buy him a headstone.

My fiancé thinks it's not a good use of my money. I have a lot of broken teeth and I have always wanted to get them fixed cosmetically. My fiancé thinks this is a better use of my money, but I disagree. I can live with broken teeth a little while longer and it's not nearly as important to on me as giving my father a proper memorial. I think it would improve my mental status from the trauma of what happened to know he is being remembered properly.

How do I approach this? Thanks.

tl;dr fiancé doesn't want me to buy a headstone for my dad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don’t marry engineers.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My family is very poor so he was creamated and buried

Yeah, you gotta make that right.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pick posted:

Don’t marry engineers.

I think this wisdom is as sage as 'closure comes from within.'

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pick posted:

Don’t marry engineers.

As an engineer this is truth. I am broken af and would never wish to burden myself on any woman.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
He's a space engineer, don't marry a Big Bang Theory then get surprised when you get bazinga'd!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Smirking_Serpent posted:

A houseguest didn’t inform us he conceal carried and my toddler got his gun and shot it at her sister.

Isn't this more of a situation where you immediately call the police?

Or beat that loving gun carrying idiot to death with a metal bat?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (35f) brother (39) and I have to decide how much of my mom’s estate to give to my abusive stepfather.

TL;DR mom died without a will but gave conflicting messages about how much she wanted to leave to my abusive stepfather, and now brother wants to cut down his share.

Uh, give him nothing? Better yet, use a chunk of the money to hire a hitman and have him killed.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't this more of a situation where you immediately call the police?

Or beat that loving gun carrying idiot to death with a metal bat?

If the 2 year old was able to fire it, does that mean the safety wasn’t engaged (or should it be difficult for a child to switch off)? Is part of concealed carry ‘have the loving safety on’? or am I just making that up in my head.

No metal bat, just pistol whip that idiot with his own gun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Theophany posted:

I think this wisdom is as sage as 'closure comes from within.'

I don't even think it's inherent to them, for the most part, I think that engineering as a field is incredibly toxic. I have a friend who is a female engineer at an all-woman engineering firm and apparently that's a fine place for somewhat normal people.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How do I (22F) talk to my boyfriend (27M) about his hygiene?
Throwaway, since he lurks sometimes

Mark* and I have been together for about 1.5 years, and have lived together for about a year. Although we moved in together really early (Long story short it was an escape from a toxic living situation) we have a healthy relationship otherwise. We both love each other, and we try to communicate as best we can.

Which is part of why I'm posting here.

See, Mark is kind of a stereotypical nerd, in that he gets obsessed with new hobbies to the point where he forgoes basic hygiene. Thankfully, he's not at pissbottle level yet, but as of writing this it's been over a week since I last saw him shower. And even then I don't think he washed his hair.

I should mention Mark has really long hair, which he hasn't cut in about 5 years. I usually love long hair on men, but right now his is disgusting. It's matted into a half-assed dred that stinks badly enough to leave a miasma after he's been in a room. It's made even worse by the fact that he's a smoker.

I've tried to be sympathetic. He does have a stressful job and it can be hard to find time between work-sleep-relaxation, but it's gotten to the point where I can't even hug him without wanting to rech.

I've tried bringing it up to him, but he just gets defensive and accuses me of nagging. He usually shuts me down by telling me to "mind my own business". He only does this when I mention personal hygiene.

I love him unconditionally, but I'm not at all attracted to him like this. Our sex life has taken a major hit, since the smell is such a huge turn off.

How should I approach this tactfully? I love him and want to be intimate again, but I don't know how to bring this up without him feeling attacked.

TL;DR: Boyfriend is stinky and in denial. How do I convince him to wash more?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
incels: rar women have impossible standards

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
That hair is actually his last girlfriend, she was absorbed and so shall ye.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What is it with these people who don't shower. How is it this common

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [23F] loving dad passed away a while ago. My family cannot afford to get him a proper headstone. I want to pay for it, but my fiancé [24M] doesn't want me too even though we have plenty of money.

My dad and I had a very special bond. He was my everything. He passed away last Father's Day suddenly and in a very traumatic way which (I won't get into.) I'll just say that I held him to the very end. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me and on Father's Day of all days.

My family is very poor so he was creamated and buried. He doesn't have a headstone, just a tiny grave marker, which bothers me a LOT. I loved him so, he deserves a proper memorial because he was truly the most wonderful person I have ever known and he gave me everything.

I recently got my first job as an RN and my fiancé works in the space industry as an engineer. He makes plenty of money for us and happily provides. We keep all our money together. But now since I got a job, I am more able to contribute and save for things I want. I don't have a ton of money since I just started, but the job pays well and I have enough that it would not really affect our financial situation to buy him a headstone.

My fiancé thinks it's not a good use of my money. I have a lot of broken teeth and I have always wanted to get them fixed cosmetically. My fiancé thinks this is a better use of my money, but I disagree. I can live with broken teeth a little while longer and it's not nearly as important to on me as giving my father a proper memorial. I think it would improve my mental status from the trauma of what happened to know he is being remembered properly.

How do I approach this? Thanks.

tl;dr fiancé doesn't want me to buy a headstone for my dad.

So she have a lot of broken teeth, and her idiot fiance doesn't think it's maybe worth paying for that himself then? Sounds like their finances or not together at all, especially since after she gets a job she NOW can start saving up for things. She's got a real winner here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

So she have a lot of broken teeth, and her idiot fiance doesn't think it's maybe worth paying for that himself then? Sounds like their finances or not together at all, especially since after she gets a job she NOW can start saving up for things. She's got a real winner here.

See, here's the thing about money to people like this. more money is more winnerizing, at life. it's your score. so you got to keep that score as high as possible. it's like a jrpg where you have to end the game with 99 phoenix downs. it doesn't matter than Rikku has 4hp left and you have 97 superpotions before you even get to the second seymour boss fight. she doesn't deserve it because she'll eventually heal herself when you save or something . the score is more important than the suffering of your team. also, as you know, you get a huge bonus having 99 phoenix downs at the end (you don';t)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I remember once asking my dad, if he heard the guy who was best man at his wedding (who he hasn't seen in like 20 years), had some sort of horrible disease and needed money, and he'd already gotten the money from every other conceivable source, and ONLY my dad and my dad's charity was left, at what point he would no longer give any more money and let his friend die. If his friend came to him and begged for his life, with no promises of any future repayment etc. or renewed friendship (for the sake of the hypothetical), how much that would be. Y'all are free to take a guess what the number was. And I love my dad! I just think I should not get sick.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

LadyPictureShow posted:

If the 2 year old was able to fire it, does that mean the safety wasn’t engaged (or should it be difficult for a child to switch off)? Is part of concealed carry ‘have the loving safety on’? or am I just making that up in my head.

Some guns have safeties that are built in to the triggers and automatically disengage when the trigger is pulled straight back. The idea is that the gun won't go off on accident (being dropped, having a holster catch the edge of the trigger slightly, etc) but will always be ready to go bang when someone does the exact thing that they should only ever do when they want the gun to go bang.

Without getting into the other details, Brent needs to get a holster with better retention and be more attentive about things, and both Brent and cousin's-daughter should lose houseguest privileges until they understand how appallingly they've screwed up (both in the incident and the aftermath). Let the cousin know why this is happening and let them sort it out from there.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 26, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Terrible trigger discipline

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 26, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Yond Cassius posted:

Some guns have safeties that are built in to the triggers and automatically disengage when the trigger is pulled straight back. The idea is that the gun won't go off on accident (being dropped, having a holster catch the edge of the trigger slightly, etc) but will always be ready to go bang when someone does the exact thing that they should only ever do when they want the gun to go bang.

Without getting into the other details, Brent needs to get a holster with better retention and be more attentive about things, and both Brent and cousin's-daughter should lose houseguest privileges until they understand how appallingly they've screwed up (both in the incident and the aftermath). Let the cousin know why this is happening and let them sort it out from there.

Is this before or after Brent’s arrest for child endangerment?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

loquacius posted:

Sounds like they have fallen straight into "blame the literal 2-year-old" territory here and are expecting OP to send a "sorry our hellspawn child dared to lay hands upon your Constitutionally-guaranteed self-defense weapon" email lol
"We're not mad at the child, just the inevitable legislative response."

the joke is that there will never be a legislative response

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Adar posted:

I don't know how Indiana law treats the situation, but I'd support that arrest if it applies.
( Maybe Indiana treats it as a felony, and then Brent's gun status won't be an issue in the future. )

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yond Cassius posted:

I don't know how Indiana law treats the situation, but I'd support that arrest if it applies.
( Maybe Indiana treats it as a felony, and then Brent's gun status won't be an issue in the future. )

lol if think the average member of a well regulated militia in the USA stops having guns just because of a felony.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(CA) Mother called wedding vendors and cancelled all our contracts/agreements. Any grounds to at least get the deposits back from vendors?

My batshit mother, who did not approve of my marriage and is now permanently cut out of my life, called all the vendors for our wedding and cancelled. We did not learn of this until the night before. She got everything: The venue, catering, flowers, photographer, the cake, etc.

The day was a disaster and my wife an unconsolable mess, but all that aside, the vendors are refusing to at least give us back our deposits.

My mother did not have any authorization to cancel our agreements on our behalf and since my wife and I did not cancel, but still did not get what we contracted for, we would at the very least like out deposits back.

Quite frankly, we want it ALL back. This is several thousands of dollars we lost.

Do we have any recourse against the vendors? My mom is broke as hell, so even if pursing her were an option, I know I'd never see a cent.

I think they actually should have recourse against the vendors? The vendors shouldn't cancel anything unless and until contacted by the actual contracting parties.

They should sue the mom too though, so if she ever does have money they'll get it because there will be an active judgement against her.

(technically I am a lawyer but I'm actually just talking out my rear end here)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If the mother wasnt authorized to make any decision then each and every one of those vendors is going to get squeezed for money so hard theyll know what its like to die to a boa constrictor

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I feel like I've heard of couples setting up a "password" with their wedding vendors for exactly this reason. What a nightmare.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Carbon Thief posted:

I feel like I've heard of couples setting up a "password" with their wedding vendors for exactly this reason. What a nightmare.

a lot of the commenters mentioned that. this is the hellworld.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

(24F) My boyfriend (24M) called my dad’s house a dump and I can’t get over it. Advice?

Just so everyone knows, my boyfriend (‘Nick’) comes from a very well off family. He grew up in a mansion, went to prestigious private schools, traveled the world,etc. Whereas I come from a single dad working two jobs, lived in a small apartment, went to public schools and haven’t traveled much in my lifetime. Nick also does work at his fathers company, but lives in his parents condo in Miami and basically lives off of them.

I have no problem with my boyfriends upbringing, and I appreciate the cultural knowledge he has from traveling the world. He has told me that he plans to stop living off of them once he has access to his trust fund.

Last week I took him to the small town I grew up in to meet my family (grandparents, aunts/uncles/cousins, siblings and my father) and had a huge dinner. Everyone thought he was so sweet and lovely until he said: “ALL of you should come to my family’s vacation house in the spring,” he then muttered “It would be better than this dump.” I don’t think he realized he said it at first, it probably accidentally came out. The whole table went quiet for a good 2 minutes. I saw tears welling up in some people. I excused Nick and I from the table and went into a separate room to talk about it. Our argument got very heated, specifically because he was showing no remorse for what he said. What hurt me the most while arguing is when he said: “It’s not my fault that you’re dad doesnt work hard enough, I was just stating my thoughts out loud.”

By the time we came out of the room, a lot of my family had left. Nick drove away and I spent the night with my dad. My father told me everyone could hear Nick and I’s argrument and just couldn’t take it. My dad worked very hard to provide for me and the fact that my boyfriend made such insensitive comments is appalling. I do believe you have to work hard for money, but not everyone is always lucky. Nick hasn’t said sorry & told me to forget about what he said, but I’ve told him it’s going to take some time.

Am I being dramatic? Should I forgive him? My family hates him now so it would be hard to get them to like him again.

TLDR: I took my boyfriend of a year to my family dinner and he told everyone: “ALL of you should come to my family’s vacation home, it’d be better than this dump.” He shows no remorse and said “It’s not my fault if your dad doesn’t work bark enough.” Am I being dramatic for not tolerating this type of insult to my father? Should I forgive him?

Edit: Besides this one incident, he’s been a great boyfriend

Edit 2: I feel so horrible for having my family meet such an awful person. Is there anyway I can make it up to them?

:thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor: :thermidor:

What a piece of poo poo.

Don't worry, he'll stop sponging off his parents once his trust fund kicks in. Then he'll be sponging off his dead grandmother.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
We don't plan on having kids barring some kind of terrible accident occurring with my wife's IUD, but honestly I am laughing pretty hard at the thought of being able to cancel their poo poo every so often just to keep them on their toes.

Like, nothing big or anything but you better keep track of that gym membership if you come home after curfew, and if you think you're getting your next Blue Apron after declining sunday dinner... well, that's presumptuous of you...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Adar posted:

imo they should give the gun back to the 2 year old and let her take a shot at Brent too

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This is what happens when you don't teach your two year old proper trigger discipline!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's why you need a single action army, in addition to being the greatest handgun ever made, the hammer is too difficult to pull back for a child. And you get to do sweet spins and flips with it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Really want to see the bulked up baby that hung onto it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Ferret King posted:

This is what happens when you don't teach your two year old proper trigger discipline!
You joke but there actually are a couple redditors trying to shift blame this way in the /r/bestoflegaladvice discussion of this:

quote:

Only crime that was likely commited was discharging a firearm within city limits, which is likely just and ordnance and a fine. And technically the 2 year old eas the one who committed a crime. Only way Brent would have committed a crime is if they live in an area with a safe storeage statute, and even then it might be iffy since it was physically on his person and not "stored".

There are basically two scenarios that make sense. Brent was carrying with no holster or one that was lovely/incorrect for the model and the gun fell out into plain view, ir this is a creative writing exercise.

Either way, it's a giid example of why you should teach children about guns even if you don't own any. You cannot predict or prevent other people from storing guns improperly. "Stop, don't touch, tell an adult" training for the kid would have prevented this.

quote:

Because the guy in the story fell asleep. He passed an exam to get a license to carry (unless he’s in a license free state) but accidents will still happen. Who hasn’t had something fall out of their pocket while sitting on a couch? It’s entirely plausible that if he was carrying in his waistband/pocket/inside belt holster this is what happened. The gun would have to be quite small to fall out unnoticed, be liftable by a 2 year old, and also have that 2 year old still be strong enough to pull the trigger. My phone falls out of my pocket into the couch cushions all the time, it’d be about that size.

Teaching everyone how to be safe around guns is a protective measure because they are a part of our society regardless of how anyone feels about them. They are around, and children should be taught that they aren’t toys.

I don’t understand how teaching a child not to touch something dangerous is a higher standard than expecting a sleeping guy to keep tabs on a kid that isn’t his around a gun. There will always be situations we can’t predict or prepare for, so in the interest of safety we should teach everyone precautions even if they are unlikely to matter. So what if OP doesn’t have guns in the house? The kid could still see one almost anywhere else.

Edit: today I learned you get downvotes like crazy for dating to suggest we teach safety at both sides. The guy could very well have been practicing proper gun safety. We don’t know. Teaching a child not to touch a gun is like basic education, not sure why the disagreement there.

Edit2: turns out people here are very firmly anti proper gun safety education. Strange, you’d think it would be common sense to teach children that guns can hurt them. I appreciate all the people who go through and downvote all my comments without reading, shout-out to you guys.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

quote:

Edit: today I learned you get downvotes like crazy for dating to suggest we teach safety at both sides. The guy could very well have been practicing proper gun safety. We don’t know. Teaching a child not to touch a gun is like basic education, not sure why the disagreement there.

Edit2: turns out people here are very firmly anti proper gun safety education. Strange, you’d think it would be common sense to teach children that guns can hurt them. I appreciate all the people who go through and downvote all my comments without reading, shout-out to you guys.

holy poo poo hahahahahah what a loving turd

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

technically the 2 year old eas the one who committed a crime.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
*throws 2-year old in jail* HOPE YOU ROT IN THERE YOU PIECE OF poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Haifisch posted:

You joke but there actually are a couple redditors trying to shift blame this way in the /r/bestoflegaladvice discussion of this:

Oh I expected that.