Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Always funny to see people overreact to these episodes. Where were you when Naruto had 20-40 episodes of filler? I mean, we're getting less filler because of the seasonal format, but that doesn't mean we're gonna be free from them. And it comes with basically an apology at the start of the episode that is basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE
Naruto had way the gently caress more than 40 episodes of filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't watch that much anime these days, but two whole episodes of filler with (I assume) essentially none in the main episodes is downright amazing compared to what I'm used to. Filler episodes are far better than stretching out canon ones with garbage.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Seriously.

That bit about the stupid loving island race felt like 40 episodes by itself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Always funny to see people overreact to these episodes. Where were you when Naruto had 20-40 episodes of filler?

Not watching it cause the naurto anime blew chunks! And that still doesn't excuse how bad these last two filler eps have been.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

not surprised people are Mad Online about a cute episode that's building hype toward the movie

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Always funny to see people overreact to these episodes. Where were you when Naruto had 20-40 episodes of filler? I mean, we're getting less filler because of the seasonal format, but that doesn't mean we're gonna be free from them. And it comes with basically an apology at the start of the episode that is basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

literally one person overreacted? Naruto having totally different production circumstances (entirely related to how Pierrot adapts things, see Black Clover) really has nothing to do with what Bones is doing here. there's no real reason any of this filler had to exist, since it's a difference of the anime being a handful of chapters further than it currently is. notably, they could've even taken a holiday break this week.

imo people should be free to have criticism of these badly written episodes without weird minimizing posts like this, especially since the criticism isn't even close to overwhelming this thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I know "filler" has become the go-to bad word for anime original content but it still feels weird in this case where if they had not done the special episode, the anime would have skipped a week, so it's not really "filling" anything.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's filling our hearts with love

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, the movie trailer actually played on Toonami last night, which is kinda weird because the trailer has a shot of AfO in it and Toonami's just gotten to season 2, but I guess it's fine since there's no context to him.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Always funny to see people overreact to these episodes. Where were you when Naruto had 20-40 episodes of filler?

You realize not everyone consumes trash just to watch anime right

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Average Bear posted:

They don't?

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
I thought it SSSSSSSUCKED but it's just one episode so w/e.

Average Bear posted:

You realize not everyone consumes trash just to consume trash right

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't really watch anime except for the really good ones like jojo eva cowboy bebop etc. This show has quality close to those so I held it to a higher standard. If its gonna go the usual mass produced weeb trash route from here on out well the all might fight was a perfect climax to end on

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I don't suppose anywhere is going to be streaming the movie, huh?

Because it's definitely not airing in any cinemas in Europe from what I can see and I'm guessing we'll never get a DVD/Bluray release :negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was one episode for a charity event. Seriously, calm down.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Shut up guy who's avatar is every anime character hes jacked off to

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Rude

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fillergate

You'll remember where you were when it happened

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Average Bear posted:

Shut up guy who's avatar is every anime character hes jacked off to

The hell it's just Pop Team Epic.

Also their personalities were the same in the episode. And the episode was fine there was nothing offensive about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There are some big ol' whiny Wandas that are following this show, I tell ya what.

Episode was fine. Everyone is gonna be all right.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The hell it's just Pop Team Epic.

Also their personalities were the same in the episode. And the episode was fine there was nothing offensive about it.

I'd say Bakugo seemed more impulsive than usual.

It was nice how it showed him rely on Uraraka without a second thought, though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I know "filler" has become the go-to bad word for anime original content but it still feels weird in this case where if they had not done the special episode, the anime would have skipped a week, so it's not really "filling" anything.

I was lumping in the special with the "What were Weird arms and Frogbert doing during the exam?" ep which was also not great so it seemed more succinct to just call them both filler.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say Bakugo seemed more impulsive than usual.

He just told some disaster victims to gently caress off and save themselves. If anything his portrayal in this ep was too accurate...I don't think Bakugo is a very good character.

Also the problem this ep had was that it felt way too safe in how it was written. The group was Deku, Uraraka, Tsuyu, Iieda and Bakugo because those are the "default" group, and people love Tsuyu. She literally did nothing in this episode, just like the last filler episode, so it's annoying that the writers haven't at least tried to focus on less important characters.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Momomo posted:

I don't think Bakugo is a very good character.

Bakugo is a very good character.

He's also a very bad person.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Bakugo would be a fun character if the show didn't try and paint him as Deku's rival. The way it's framed feels very much written out of obligation, and I don't really think Bakugo has "earned" his spot as rival since he straight up does not seem to care at all about being a hero. He just wants to fight bad guys, that's all. I realize that his character early on is something the writer regrets going so far in on, because he straight up is just a terrible person with no redeeming qualities, and he has recently at least admitted Deku has gotten stronger, but the way the show has tried to make me think the two are on an even footing just doesn't work for me.

A character that has earned his place as rival would be Todoroki.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mordaedil posted:

Where were you when Naruto had 20-40 episodes of filler?

Did you know almost half of the entire run of Shippuden is Filler?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This filler didn't need all those characters, it felt like they just picked the fan favourites to hang around. OK episode tho, and better than nothing.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

He just told some disaster victims to gently caress off and save themselves. If anything his portrayal in this ep was too accurate...I don't think Bakugo is a very good character.

This was actually the correct call in that situation, as the disaster victims themselves noted. Bakugo's attitude kinda stinks but he's a very good hero otherwise. His "mistake" was pretty similar to deku's mistake upon meeting survivors.

Bakugo is very good at recognizing when being brash is actually the correct call. Tbh even in this episode I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't blow up in his face, which it shouldn't because bakugo is actually pretty smart, though it'd have been nice to see him have reasoning for it beyond "the guy is close to the window"

It's a pretty good foil to deku, who's MO is "way overthink things."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Momomo posted:

Look at him when he was kidnapped. He ran his mouth, but he made sure before he took action that he was legally in the clear. Bakugo's temper is on a hair trigger, but he knows how to analyze situations and take the appropriate action... usually.

For the obvious example, the victims he told to gently caress off and save themselves were in good enough shape to do just that. It was excellent snap triage analysis... only his bad attitude meant that it didn't go over well.

Him wanting to just burst in and kick rear end is right, but normally he'd be bursting in and kicking rear end with a solid plan accounting for half a dozen contingencies... that still looked like a rabid lunatic launching a billion explosions in every direction.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So did Deku ever tell his mom that he was going on a trip with All Might to a strange island in international waters?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

Bakugo would be a fun character if the show didn't try and paint him as Deku's rival. The way it's framed feels very much written out of obligation, and I don't really think Bakugo has "earned" his spot as rival since he straight up does not seem to care at all about being a hero. He just wants to fight bad guys, that's all. I realize that his character early on is something the writer regrets going so far in on, because he straight up is just a terrible person with no redeeming qualities, and he has recently at least admitted Deku has gotten stronger, but the way the show has tried to make me think the two are on an even footing just doesn't work for me.

No Bakugo pretty much wants to be a hero more then pretty much anyone in that class.

And he has redeeming qualities. He's just angry so you don't see them much.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Being angry and aggressive makes all other personality traits and development basically invisible I suppose

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Re: Deku probably being hardcore into shipping: he has around 14 different journals analyzing different heroes and people with powerful quirks. He absolutely also has stuff like "Seen constantly with Mt. Lady. Maybe romantic???" written in Kamui Woods section and the like

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Momomo posted:

he cheered up the class after they were all depressed about almost being expelled (by getting kaminari to enter doofus-mode), that was pretty sweet of him. And he didn't hesitate to pass some of his grenades to kaminari when he knew he was getting taken down by the lumps of flesh dude. and he made sure to pay kirishima back for the night vision goggles.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bakugou's a jerk, but he's getting better...slowly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I didn't mean total, if that helps. I don't recall any one filler arc exceeding 40 episodes, but I'm willing to be wrong on this. But it had a gently caress-ton of filler-arcs.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Not watching it cause the naurto anime blew chunks! And that still doesn't excuse how bad these last two filler eps have been.

See, to me it's a bit of a fresh take cause I'm used to fillers being god-awful. This was still watchable, imo.

dogsicle posted:

literally one person overreacted? Naruto having totally different production circumstances (entirely related to how Pierrot adapts things, see Black Clover) really has nothing to do with what Bones is doing here. there's no real reason any of this filler had to exist, since it's a difference of the anime being a handful of chapters further than it currently is. notably, they could've even taken a holiday break this week.

imo people should be free to have criticism of these badly written episodes without weird minimizing posts like this, especially since the criticism isn't even close to overwhelming this thread.

Well, first off, you are wrong. This is a consumptive media, these people make money on these things, they aren't things they can elect not to do. Secondly, I do believe people are right to criticize things, but "it sucks" isn't especially interesting criticism to listen to, even if it is from just one or two people.

Average Bear posted:

This is a thread for a Shonen, the McDonalds equivalent of anime. If it looks palatable to you, I guess they must be doing something right that they have not done in the past.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I kinda liked the episode. Yeah it was real simple but like... that's filler. It's still an interesting kind of way to look at a hero class, with an appropriately funny twist, if a bit of a dick move. I just kinda wish Deku had been wrong, he's got like all the way through this story and everyone's weeping and it's just "Nope."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I thought the episode was pretty fun. I bet that Deku was way off the mark, but Midnight went with it because it was fun.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I had a lotta fun with this episode! Turning the show into a murder mystery for one episode was right up my alley, and everyone failing anyways is just the icing on the comedy cake

Also this episode inspired me to get tickets for the movie, which I did two days ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordaedil posted:

I didn't mean total, if that helps. I don't recall any one filler arc exceeding 40 episodes, but I'm willing to be wrong on this. But it had a gently caress-ton of filler-arcs.

If the bit after the big Sasuke fight but before Shippuden started wasn't 40 episodes it sure felt like it.