Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Blair witch freaked my friends and me out when we saw it in the theaters. Granted we smoked a pound of weed beforehand but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
The thought of chilling in your tent while something is walking around you in the middle of the woods is scary as hell.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BisterdDave posted:

The thought of chilling in your tent while something is walking around you in the middle of the woods is scary as hell.

This is the best part of Willow Creek.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Franchescanado posted:

Never heard of this, but I see it's available on Prime.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

That's the Bobcat Goldthwait-direct bigfoot movie, right? Is it good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fart City posted:

It's super boring until one extended scene which is really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

It's a fun premise, has some good ideas, and does the whole "what's outside the tent?" scare very well. Overall it's flat but I'm glad I watched it once. Not enough Bigfoot horror movies.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Jezebel posted:

poo poo, thanks for the Spring Breakers rec, that movie was everything I didn't know I needed.

Anyone have a rec for what to watch next? I feel like everything would pale in comparison, I should just wait a few days and rewatch it with the volume louder.

I can't really think of anything that follows it up perfectly, but for somewhat stylish and strange Only God Forgives is on Netflix again, as is Under the Skin.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jezebel posted:

poo poo, thanks for the Spring Breakers rec, that movie was everything I didn't know I needed.

Anyone have a rec for what to watch next? I feel like everything would pale in comparison, I should just wait a few days and rewatch it with the volume louder.

Go find a copy of Trash Humpers.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I haven't seen Spring Breakers since it was in theaters, but I re watched it and appreciate it just as much as the first time. I felt I always remembered it as the rise of two psychopaths, but rewatch was "lol, nah just youths".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For as much as everyone seems to hate the Blair Witch reboot, I actually thought it was pretty spooky and I liked it more than the original which never really made much of an impact on me, despite seeing it in theaters right when it came out and a bunch of dopes thought it was real. The characters in the reboot are abysmal but I actually thought it was pretty good as a horror movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My wife and I really enjoyed it in the theater and haven't thought about it once since then. I think I'll give it another go tonight.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Jezebel posted:

not really related but you would probably really like Enter The Void

it's a Gaspar Noe flick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Neon Demon would be a good followup to Spring Breakers

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My problem with Hardcore Henry is that the editing feels super choppy, which is pretty jarring.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

veni veni veni posted:

For as much as everyone seems to hate the Blair Witch reboot, I actually thought it was pretty spooky and I liked it more than the original which never really made much of an impact on me, despite seeing it in theaters right when it came out and a bunch of dopes thought it was real. The characters in the reboot are abysmal but I actually thought it was pretty good as a horror movie.

Yeah I really liked this one too, I thought it was very effective. People hated it for some reason.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah I really liked this one too, I thought it was very effective. People hated it for some reason.

I just expected more from Wingard. It felt very unsurprising, and lacked the wicked sense of humor that made The Guest and You're Next so much fun. I was really holding out for a really batshit crazy finale that never came. In a lot of ways it was the inverse of my experience with The Ritual, where I went in with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how hard it swung for the fences. Blair Witch felt weirdly safe to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trying a free week of Shudder out. Anyone have any must watch recs?

Also, I could have friggin sworn channel Zero was an anthology show? But I guess not. Is season one worth watching? Watched the first episode and was so so on it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 26, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Fart City posted:

I just expected more from Wingard. It felt very unsurprising, and lacked the wicked sense of humor that made The Guest and You're Next so much fun. I was really holding out for a really batshit crazy finale that never came. In a lot of ways it was the inverse of my experience with The Ritual, where I went in with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised by how hard it swung for the fences. Blair Witch felt weirdly safe to me.

It ended with a time paradox, that's pretty batshit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I thought the ending was pretty batshit. The Blair witch monster thing was straight up one of the most viscerally creepy things I've seen in a movie in a while and the part where she is crawling through the tiny underground tunnel really super tense and claustrophobic in this way I thought was super effective. And overall I thought it just had a nice pace of decent scares leading up to the finale. The worst thing is about it was how forgettable the characters are but that's not really why I watched it anyways.

Maybe part of why I liked it was that my expectations were so low going in, but I thought it was a legit decent horror flick that doesn't deserve it's reputation as a pile of trash.

E: yeah not to mention the time paradox.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

K. Waste posted:

It ended with a time paradox, that's pretty batshit.

Eh. I thought the concept of that was better than the execution. I’m not hating on anyone that dug the flick, it just didn’t really work for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Demons, Demons 2, Primal Screen, Magic, In The Mouth of Madness, Run Lola Run, The Host, Triangle, Creepshow 2, Single White Female, Dark Matter, Pi, Re-Animator, Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, Downrange, Blood & Black Lace, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Murder Party, Ms. 45, Street Trash, The Wicker Man, The Fog, Best Worst Movie, Big Bad Wolves, Hobo With A Shotgun, You're So Cool Brewster, Never Sleep Again, Camp Crystal Lake Memories, Noroi The Curse, Ghostwatch, He Took His Skin Off For Me, The Asphyx

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In case it still works, this coupon code got me 60 days of free Shudder on an account that I had already used (meaning, not the typical 'first time subscribers only' crap): https://slickdeals.net/f/11263379-60-day-shudder-horror-streaming-trial-subscription-free

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fallom posted:

In case it still works, this coupon code got me 60 days of free Shudder on an account that I had already used (meaning, not the typical 'first time subscribers only' crap): https://slickdeals.net/f/11263379-60-day-shudder-horror-streaming-trial-subscription-free

Yup, this worked for me! Good lookin' out!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Franchescanado posted:

Demons, Demons 2, Primal Screen, Magic, In The Mouth of Madness, Run Lola Run, The Host, Triangle, Creepshow 2, Single White Female, Dark Matter, Pi, Re-Animator, Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser 2, Downrange, Blood & Black Lace, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Murder Party, Ms. 45, Street Trash, The Wicker Man, The Fog, Best Worst Movie, Big Bad Wolves, Hobo With A Shotgun, You're So Cool Brewster, Never Sleep Again, Camp Crystal Lake Memories, Noroi The Curse, Ghostwatch, He Took His Skin Off For Me, The Asphyx

I don’t mind the Asphyx, but it’s definitely a weak boring movie. The only memorable parts are the unnecessarily intricate ways they go about risking their lives (that guillotine lmao) and the goofy puppet that they only shot for ten seconds and then looped over and over.

Oh and that lovely mask at the end

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are We Not Cats? is far from "traditional horror" but it's on Shudder and it is really good and also pretty gross.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Looking over Shudder's catalog for the first time, I can vouch for the following that haven't been mentioned yet;

V/H/S - Solid anthology with only one clunker
The Gate - 80's, cool creature effects
Still/Born - Not the best, but a decent creepy flick with a quick Michael Ironside scene
Monsters - Pre-Godzilla Gareth Edwards, but a much stronger monster flick
John Carpenter's Vampires - This movie is definitely bad, but James Woods is entertaining and you can always fall back on that Carpenter score
House (1986) - Goofy haunted house movie with George Wendt and a bizarre ending
Escape From Tomorrow - I'm not telling you anything except it was mostly filmed guerilla-style at Disney World and Disneyland and the cast is banned for life
Christmas Evil - Go in blind
Beyond the Black Rainbow - I still don't know what to make of this film, but it's got a great look and the director is about to release another batshit movie with Nic Cage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Monsters - Pre-Godzilla Gareth Edwards, but a much stronger monster flick

Hell yeah, movie is sooooo gooooood.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'd say those are good rec's.

The Gate, House, and Christmas Evil were staples of my 80's childhood. Holy gently caress I loved the hell out of House. George Wendt was mentioned but it also has Night Court alum Richard Moll, and motherfuckin William Katt (The Greatest American Hero).

Speaking of GAH, anyone know where to stream it freely?

Also yeah Monsters is pretty good. Another poster mentioned Triangle and that one is pretty good too. Nice and twisty perfect to watch stoned

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 27, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kinda sad they don't have House 2: The Second Story, which is an amazing failure of a weird movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

precision posted:

Kinda sad they don't have House 2: The Second Story, which is an amazing failure of a weird movie.

It’s there, it’s just listed as House II.

I bought the Arrow Video releases for both on a whim, but I haven’t watched the second one yet. The third and fourth films looked awful.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah House 2 was such an huge letdown to me and all my teenage friends and I imagine it's much much worse now. Had no idea there's a 3 and 4. Tremors is the only series that continues to be fun after 12 or whatever they're up to now.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Fart City posted:

Adam Wingard did Blair Witch? I'll have to check it out then. Though he lost a lot of my respect for Death Note.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Death Note rules, you weenie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Death Note rules, you weenie.

Yeah seriously I don't even like the anime and I loved it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Death Note feels more Wingardy than Blair Witch, which makes me rate it higher.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
As far as a sense of humor, it's definitely the most Raimi-esque movie he's ever done. It really does play awesomely like a broken Spider-Man movie.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I really enjoyed the Death Note movie but its been a tricky thing to recommend.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Also, I could have friggin sworn channel Zero was an anthology show? But I guess not. Is season one worth watching? Watched the first episode and was so so on it.

Channel Zero is an anthology show, it's just the American Horror Story kind (each season is a different story) rather than the Twilight Zone/Black Mirror kind (each episode is a different story). Only the first season, Candle Cove, is up on Shudder for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
FYI, if you like shudder's catalogue and you like anime, you should try VRV. I managed to consolidate 2 subscriptions by getting it as well as getting a bunch of other stuff.

They have shudder, crunchyroll and funimation which is most of the popular anime, shows scavenged from seeso's corpse like Harmonquest and My Brother My Brother and Me, plus a bunch of other various things with geek or nerd in the title.

It has a ton of content from a ton of sources and winds up being a great deal, even if a good chunk of the content is kinda lame and the streaming app sorta sucks (on ps4 at least)