Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Nice morning on the river

Lookit this absolute unit. He oughta be ashamed of himself for how easy he was to pull in. He took a few strong runs and tried to jump and flip the hook, but then he pretty much just gave up and let me tow him in. at ~25 inches, he's probably the heaviest fish I've ever caught. Not sure of the weight, but maybe 7-8 lbs?
Was also super surprised a carp buffalo bit on that lure

Terrible photo, but I didn't wanna keep a walleye out of the water too long. Just happy to catch one at all.

My first time keeping and cleaning a pike. Just a hair under the "immediately release" slot, 22-26". Getting the y-bones out was a tad challenging, but really not too bad. I haven't cooked it up yet, but the meat looks great! Besides my hack job de-boning it, I don't think I'd be able to tell it from walleye. They get a super bad rap in MN, but I think that's probably just because everyone here's catching walleye, which are super easy to fillet.
... sorry for the foot. I gotta stop doing that when I'm taking fish pics

Post-dinner update: Pike is loving delicious

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sucker mouth fish going after a lure is kinda odd but I’m sure it happens.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Overnight tuna fishin' trip tomorrow. Wish me luck, fishbros. My wimpy little IT guy arms are not built for fighting big ocean fish, lol.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

Overnight tuna fishin' trip tomorrow. Wish me luck, fishbros. My wimpy little IT guy arms are not built for fighting big ocean fish, lol.

It’s your wimpy IT guy core and lower back that’ll cop it if you hook a decent one. A harness like a Black Magic Equiliser makes a huge difference

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

He’s gonna be too tired from sea sickness and coping with ocean movement to even have to worry about his spindly little arms.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Ha! Jokes on you, I've got the patch! I actually do have a bad lower back though from a really nasty car accident when I was 16.

Last year when I went on this trip my arms went out before the back. I blame it on the rental rod and the fact that they had the drags locked down.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I took dramamine on my charter and it worked great. That wasn't an overnight trip, though.

& dude, if you knew what those tuna were saying about you and your family you'd be ready to fight them. Those tuna have said heinous things. Fight them and eat them!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Well I ended up getting sick, lol. I was fine last year so I dunno what happened. I felt great last night before I went to sleep... up until I woke up this morning. I felt groggy and crappy so I figured I just drank too much the night before, but after I finished my coffee I had to run to the side of the boat to unleash everything in my stomach. I never really recovered so I spent the sleeping until the boat would stop, I'd go up and fish and then go back down. Good times though! No pics because i forgot to charge my phone before I left and it was dead.

3 skipjack and 1 yellowfin, cranked em in on my own two carpal tunneled hands. No big fish this trip but those skipjack are fun, they fight harder than the yellowfin for sure.

Edit: Oh I forgot, I brought my bass rod with me to fish in the bay after work instead of going home before getting on the boat. Caught 3 spotties, 2 little halibut on the lucky craft, and one big rear end mackerel next to the bait barge.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 25, 2018

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Got some after work bassin done this week and caught two fatties. Well, fatties for south east PA.

Me and this fish have similar beer bellies.

This dude is my PB. Didn't get to weigh him, but he was heavy as poo poo. Easily 3lbs, probably over 4, which is about as big as they get in the Delaware Canal. He slammed my Senko and just started jumping like mad. Made for an awesome fight on my 6lb test ultra light setup. I had a family of bike riders on the towpath stop to watch me bring him in, which was cool because there's never anyone around when I catch anything.

re: seasickness. If you're prone to it, try to stay towards the back of the boat in the center where there's the least amount of motion and definitely don't look into the wake or the churn under the boat. I was lucky that my dad had a 20ft center console Mako when I was a kiddo, so I've never had any problems, but whenever we'd take friends out they'd mostly likely blow chunks if they sat up front or by the sides, and definitely if they were staring into the water while we were moving.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

Well I ended up getting sick, lol. I was fine last year so I dunno what happened. I felt great last night before I went to sleep... up until I woke up this morning. I felt groggy and crappy so I figured I just drank too much the night before, but after I finished my coffee I had to run to the side of the boat to unleash everything in my stomach. I never really recovered so I spent the sleeping until the boat would stop, I'd go up and fish and then go back down. Good times though! No pics because i forgot to charge my phone before I left and it was dead.

3 skipjack and 1 yellowfin, cranked em in on my own two carpal tunneled hands. No big fish this trip but those skipjack are fun, they fight harder than the yellowfin for sure.

Edit: Oh I forgot, I brought my bass rod with me to fish in the bay after work instead of going home before getting on the boat. Caught 3 spotties, 2 little halibut on the lucky craft, and one big rear end mackerel next to the bait barge.

Good for you! lol chummer

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah I feel like blowing chunks over the side of the boat is a rite of passage. Speaking of rites of passage, someone ate the tuna heart since it was their first, was awesome. Here's a meat pic. Little bag on the right is the belly cuts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I use to take bites of salmons Head/collar to win easy $20 bets all time. Just gotta hold em firm so they don’t wiggle away.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I use to take bites of salmons Head/collar to win easy $20 bets all time. Just gotta hold em firm so they don’t wiggle away.

Savage. How many times did you have to do that before they started calling you The Grizzled Bear?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Usually it was just “Gross dude. Here’s your $20”.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
How do you learn to fish? The background is I have a place to stay on the coast of the South West of Ireland. There's a load of sea angling boats that you can pay to get on, but that seems to be jumping in at the deep end. I don't know if there's fishing from the shore, but I'm sure when I have more time I can find out about it.

My plan is to find a local outdoors shop and ask someone in there, but I don't want to walk in with absolutely no knowledge of what I'm about. Coming into them with a little bit of my own knowledge might allow me to get a better result.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mrenda posted:

How do you learn to fish? The background is I have a place to stay on the coast of the South West of Ireland. There's a load of sea angling boats that you can pay to get on, but that seems to be jumping in at the deep end. I don't know if there's fishing from the shore, but I'm sure when I have more time I can find out about it.

My plan is to find a local outdoors shop and ask someone in there, but I don't want to walk in with absolutely no knowledge of what I'm about. Coming into them with a little bit of my own knowledge might allow me to get a better result.

Pick a species you want to target and focus on that. Find a local fishing forum and join that, google tactics for targeting your species, and get set up with the right gear for what you'll be doing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mrenda posted:

Fishing on a charter boat is way different than fishing from shore. Most charter boats cater to new fisherman so don’t feel bad about not knowing much before going on them. Plus side is you can always talk to the crew about local stuff to fish for in that area from shore. Also don’t forget you may be able to trap brown crabs or gather shellfish.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Pick a species you want to target and focus on that. Find a local fishing forum and join that, google tactics for targeting your species, and get set up with the right gear for what you'll be doing.

Thanks for that. A few hours later and using your line of approach I managed to find out what fish are about, how to target them and what gear seems to be along the right track. It seems wrasse, pollack and mackerel are the big ones for shore fishing where I'm looking, mackerel being the one I knew about. Also a few mentions of bass, gurnard, sea trout, and conger. It seems most of the local forums are dead, and the few threads active are talking about bass and how people guard their info on them. I'll head to a tackle shop at some point and see what they say. .

If I'm reading it right it looks like I need to look at light to medium spinner rods, with lures (or other bait,) presuming I don't start off with floats. That'll be down to what the shops say. And thanks again

LingcodKilla posted:

Fishing on a charter boat is way different than fishing from shore. Most charter boats cater to new fisherman so don’t feel bad about not knowing much before going on them. Plus side is you can always talk to the crew about local stuff to fish for in that area from shore. Also don’t forget you may be able to trap brown crabs or gather shellfish.

Good shout, thanks. I looked at the charters in the area I'd be in. There's not much mentioned about people new to fishing but I can always talk to someone on the pier the next time I'm around. It'd be an expensive(ish) day out, but it might be worth it to figure some things out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mrenda posted:

Thanks for that. A few hours later and using your line of approach I managed to find out what fish are about, how to target them and what gear seems to be along the right track. It seems wrasse, pollack and mackerel are the big ones for shore fishing where I'm looking, mackerel being the one I knew about. Also a few mentions of bass, gurnard, sea trout, and conger. It seems most of the local forums are dead, and the few threads active are talking about bass and how people guard their info on them. I'll head to a tackle shop at some point and see what they say. .

If I'm reading it right it looks like I need to look at light to medium spinner rods, with lures (or other bait,) presuming I don't start off with floats. That'll be down to what the shops say. And thanks again

Good shout, thanks. I looked at the charters in the area I'd be in. There's not much mentioned about people new to fishing but I can always talk to someone on the pier the next time I'm around. It'd be an expensive(ish) day out, but it might be worth it to figure some things out.

They almost always rent the appropriate gear and help with the gear on the boats. Typically work off tips.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mrenda posted:

A tip with the forums is to use google to search through them. People are pretty cagey giving out info online but this wasn’t always the case and old threads can be an absolute goldmine of information that people wouldn’t dream of sharing these days. Even if they’re dead now, they might’ve been quite active a few years ago, it’s just a matter of digging far enough.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

If I was going to a new area to fish, I'd probably start with a small Keitech swim bait on like, a 1/8 oz jig head. If you're not into fishing with lures/plastics, you could probably Carolina rig pieces of shrimp or mackerel. I'm pretty sure most of the fish in this world will eat a chunk of shrimp.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Mrenda posted:

If I was only going to have one setup for marine fishing, I'd get an 8ft medium heavy rod, and a size 40 or 50 spinning reel tied with 20lb braid. Typically when you're surf fishing you should have a 10-12 ft rod, but they're expensive and super unwieldy for anything other than surf fishing, so I think an 8ft medium heavy will get you more mileage when fishing from beaches, docks, piers, jettys, whatever. After that just buy a few 'high low' rigs from the baitshop, a few different weights, and some combination of minnows, worms, clam, or shrimp and just go cast into the surf. Look for sandbars, rock formations, steep drop offs, deep holes, or any sort of structure in the water since that's generally where fish like to hang out.

There's a ton of resources online for beginning fishing -- there's literally thousands of Youtube vids that cover saltwater fishing basics. You can also find out in the baitshop if there's any local fishing hotspots like public docks or jettys. Just go hang out and ask the locals what they're fishing for and what bait and rigs they're using. Most fisherman are happy to help with the basics, just don't expect them to give away their secret spots.

But with that said, if you have access to freshwater fishing near you I'd probably start there since the barrier to entry is lower and the gear is cheaper. You can get a ton of mileage out of a $30 ultralight setup and some worms, and you won't have to worry about saltwater corroding your gear.

Oh, and Google Maps is a fisherman's best friend. You can find all sorts of great spots that way. In fact, if you're cool posting up the name of the town you're at I can probably point you to a few. Just be warned that I'm not an expert and certainly not the best angler in this thread so YMMV.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Bought some cheap stuff to start tying some worm harnesses to cut down on the $2.50-5/harness cost.

Of course, I had to try them out :sweatdrop: I rigged up some makeshift marker lights and went out. It was a bit dicey to be honest.

Rock bass were the first two customers.

It was my first time going at night, but I managed some walleye gold on the gold worm harness I made! I gave it to a very...ummm... weird grandpa, mom, and grown son group that was fishing at the dock I was to get picked up at.

I definitely need a headlamp, something to mount my marker lights with other than my rod holder, and sweet Jesus do I want to mount an electric 50lb thrust unit on it. I would be in god drat heaven :circlefap:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Rape Stink posted:

Oh, and Google Maps is a fisherman's best friend. You can find all sorts of great spots that way. In fact, if you're cool posting up the name of the town you're at I can probably point you to a few. Just be warned that I'm not an expert and certainly not the best angler in this thread so YMMV.

Yeah, I've been looking at Google Maps and the satellite view, the resolution isn't the best but I'm trying to scout out places.

This is a link on a sea angling charter boat that seems to map a few shore spots, but I don't know how great they are. http://www.wreckfish.com/shorefishing-map.htm

The general area is around Castletownshend, Skiberreen, Baltimore, Ballydehob, and Schull in West Cork. It's pretty well known for fishing, but more for angling off boats. There's also Sherkin Island and Cape Clear (another island) which you take a boat out to. Cape Clear has a few spots mentioned, particularly by this article http://www.cailinoir.com/BlogItem/item/Blog/8817 - It says this is a spot, https://goo.gl/maps/pAMnwq8wpis - where if you go down to the pier on the right there, as you're approaching take a left and scramble to one of those points sticking out.

I am getting a little hesitant. I watched a few videos of rock fishing last night and the danger is a concern. I'd be on my own, some of the rockfaces down to the water can be steep and tricky, and the wind and swells can be big. Also, scrambling over private land is something I'm not too sure about, as most of the land in Ireland is private land. I've heard the area referred to as a fisher's paradise many times, which is what got me interested seeing as it's only ninety minutes from me. If I'm on my own though it might be better to pay for something on a boat rather than risk falling off rocks or getting swept out to sea by a wave.

Edit: To give an example of my safety concerns, this is Beacon Point which is one of the spots listed on the wreckfish.com link. I don't really see a way of safely getting to the water there.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 27, 2018

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Don't be too afraid of rock fishing. It's a good idea to be cautious and treat the ocean with a great deal of respect but it can definitely be done safely and can be very rewarding. Here are some things I like to keep in mind when fishing a rock ledge for the first time:

- Do some research on the spot. What are people saying about it? Is it considered a 'safe' ledge or does it have a reputation for being dangerous for inexperienced fishermen?

- Scout the spot first, don't bother bringing any gear, just head down and suss it out for an hour or so to get an idea of what to expect, if you can safely land a fish by yourself and to find the best way in and out when carrying all your gear. Look for a way to climb out of the water if you fall in. Think about what gear you'll need - will you need a telescopic net or gaff to pull a fish out. Has someone thoughtfully concreted in some rod holders or do you need a section of PVC pipe to wedge in the rocks?

- Check the forecast before you leave home and check it again when you arrive. What you want when fishing a ledge for the first time is an outgoing tide, less than a meter of swell, and an offshore wind. It's a good idea to check it every hour or so because sometimes the forecast can be updated throughout the day and you don't really want to be caught unawares by a sudden change in the conditions.

- Tell someone where you're going and what time you expect to be back.

- When you get there just sit in a safe spot and watch the waves for 15-20 minutes or so to make sure the conditions are actually safe. Sometimes the forecast can be wrong.

- Wear a PFD all the time if you're on your own, if you're with someone else it's a good idea to have one so whoever is gaffing the fish can wear it when they get close to the edge.

- Don't turn your back on the water.

- Get a set of rock boots with metal spikes because rocks can be quite slippery, and if possible wear cloths that won't be impossible to swim in. For example rather than a loose fitting jacket throw on a few layers of thermals to stay warm. The guys who do the MorningTide videos often wear wetsuits when rock fishing but they're pretty full on dudes.

Keep in mind this is just the stuff I do, I might be missing something or other people It might seem like a lot at first but it does become second nature. Most people would check the weather forecast before leaving anyway, it's just a case of knowing what in particular you are looking for. The PFD quickly becomes just another bit of gear you take with you, if you get a foam one you'll look forward to wearing it on cold days. Watching the ocean for a bit when you arrive and keeping an eye on the waves while you fish are just habits you learn the more rock fishing you do.

As you get more familiar with a spot you'll get a better idea of what you can and can't safely get away with. For example I have a rock ledge close to me that I am quite happy to fish in higher swells and any tide because it consists of a slope of boulders running down into the water. The waves can wash up the rocky slope with some force but it quickly loses energy and trickles back between the rocks, so even if a rogue wave knocked me over there isn't that rush of water washing back into the sea that could drag me out. Conversely there is another popular spot which feels safe because the ledge is quite high above the water, however it is solid rock and back by a cliff so if a rogue wave washes over the ledge it hits the cliff and washes straight back out to sea carrying with it anyone in it's path.

Here's my local spot, and the result of some retardation on my part from the weekend when I wound up for a really big cast and got the lure caught on a rock behind me. This spot is where all the dick lure salmon have been coming from.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Excellent rockfishing advice.

I have been a huge pussy about the jetty and I need to get over it. PFD and going with a friend will address almost all of my dying at sea concerns.

Also, Mrenda, check and see if there are any local fishing clubs that you can join. It's a good way to make friends with boat owners, and I think that people who join fishing clubs would generally love to teach an eager novice. I'll bet Irish fishing clubs have good pub stories, too.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Mrenda posted:

Yeah, I've been looking at Google Maps and the satellite view, the resolution isn't the best but I'm trying to scout out places.

This is a link on a sea angling charter boat that seems to map a few shore spots, but I don't know how great they are. http://www.wreckfish.com/shorefishing-map.htm

The general area is around Castletownshend, Skiberreen, Baltimore, Ballydehob, and Schull in West Cork. It's pretty well known for fishing, but more for angling off boats. There's also Sherkin Island and Cape Clear (another island) which you take a boat out to. Cape Clear has a few spots mentioned, particularly by this article http://www.cailinoir.com/BlogItem/item/Blog/8817 - It says this is a spot, https://goo.gl/maps/pAMnwq8wpis - where if you go down to the pier on the right there, as you're approaching take a left and scramble to one of those points sticking out.

I am getting a little hesitant. I watched a few videos of rock fishing last night and the danger is a concern. I'd be on my own, some of the rockfaces down to the water can be steep and tricky, and the wind and swells can be big. Also, scrambling over private land is something I'm not too sure about, as most of the land in Ireland is private land. I've heard the area referred to as a fisher's paradise many times, which is what got me interested seeing as it's only ninety minutes from me. If I'm on my own though it might be better to pay for something on a boat rather than risk falling off rocks or getting swept out to sea by a wave.

Edit: To give an example of my safety concerns, this is Beacon Point which is one of the spots listed on the wreckfish.com link. I don't really see a way of safely getting to the water there.

There's a lake that looks like a fish just south of the Knockdrum Stone Fort. I'd fish there because, well, it looks like a fish and i'm a simple moron.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...57!4d-9.1793869

There's also Lough Clubnir and Lough Abisdealy. I don't know much about the freshwater scene in Ireland, but I'd bet there's some carp in there at least.

Other than that it looks like the immediate area has a ton of estuaries and inlets that would all produce fish. There seems to be a ton of sheer rock faces that are pretty inaccessible, but there's some beaches too like Trag Beach, and whatever that beach is immediately SW of the Toe Head coast guard station.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...103!4d-9.265747

https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...57!4d-9.1793869

All these spots look pretty viable, but you never know until you go check 'em out. Also, check the regulations. It might be illegal to fish in some places.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Creek was v productive this past weekend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve done a lot of cliff/jagged shore fishing in Santa Cruz, CA. Highly overlooked area for fishing is inbetween rocks at the surf line and large tide pools.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pictures in old fishing books are rad. "Fishin' for pussy" is the caption I keep coming back to for this one.

gamera009 posted:

Creek was v productive this past weekend.

Beautiful trout, as always. Brown, rainbow, and brown?

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Beautiful trout, as always. Brown, rainbow, and brown?

Correct!

I have barely been fishing this summer, but I just got back from a two day trip to Sebastian, FL with my uncle, & I got some pics!

Day 1:

I had about thirty minutes to kill before leaving for the airport, so I sat down and tied this EP Peanut Butter, which I thought was one of the prettiest flies ever to come off of my desk:

Which led to my first snook on the fly:

I took an old friend from high school down there with me (he doesn't fly fish... or rather, he was open to the idea, but I thought he would have more fun actually hooking up to lots of poo poo on a spinning rod since he is a bass guy anyway), and his second ever fish in salt water, after a foul hooked hardhead catfish, happened to be this ridiculous three foot snook on 12lb test (w. 40lb flourocarbon shock tippet) and a $.75 bass fluke from Bass Pro , which was one of my most exciting fishing moments ever:

I loving love snook.

Day 2:

On the water at 7, and things start out slow. Once the water starts moving, Phil gets in to some little snook and trout. About 9 the tarpon start rolling, and we chase them all over. I manage to hook up to a really nice fish, but it ends up breaking my 16lb leader and taking my lucky fly with it. I felt 10% disappointed and 90% fortunate to have had the opportunity since takes are pretty rare in tarpon fishing. By 11 lighting had struck twice, and after 2 years, 4 trips, maybe 5,000 casts, 5 jumps and a 10 minute fight, I was finally kicking it with the silver king:

I felt bad that Phil didn't get a tarpon, but he did catch about 20 fish and 6 species to my one for the day, so we can probably call it even.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 31, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What are tarpon like to reel in? What sort of gear are you using for a frame of reference.

I picked up an Okuma 4’6” casting rod to go with my drift rod in the kayak. I can’t wait to battle some fish on it after I get some new line on that old South Bend reel. I’ll have to buy another Scotty mount for the kayak so I can have both rods in a manageable spot, or stick my net there, or the marker light at night.

It was cheaper than Amazon and she didn’t charge me tax. :dance:

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Sockington posted:

What are tarpon like to reel in? What sort of gear are you using for a frame of reference.

That's a 9wt fly rod, and I upgraded to a 25lb leader after the first fish broke the 16lb, which I would've previously guessed was more than enough. I think the trout I spend most of my time chasing are relatively uninspired fighters, but that tarpon was the craziest poo poo of my life. They are suuuuper strong, and they like to go fully airborne multiple times with violent head shaking even when they weigh 1-200lbs. When they do that, you have to point your rod at them and put slack in the line so that they don't have any tension with which to dislodge the hook. My fish was maybe 40 inches and 30 pounds

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 31, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

God drat, that line rating and lire rating. I don't think I own a rod where my minimum weight rating is as low as your max. poo poo, I think I have hooks that exceed that. :catstare:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sockington posted:

The closest I ever got to catching tarpon was watching them surface in the canals on vacation in fl and wishing I had any idea how to attract them, but EliasV has a pretty good video of his first encounters with tarpon solo on his kayak. It's clear he was fairly underpowered for the fish. Seems like pretty exciting stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgsPiKqeai0

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

God drat, that line rating and lire rating. I don't think I own a rod where my minimum weight rating is as low as your max. poo poo, I think I have hooks that exceed that. :catstare:

When you catch small fish, you have to make it a sport somehow. :confuoot:

I plan on tossing 15lb braid on the reel and setting the drag loose enough that the rod won’t be overworked. It’s worked great on the baitcaster. It kind of reminds me of trolling and pulling in a Rainbow Trout - you’re reeling but the drag is just clicking away as you’re giving it poo poo on the line counter reel.

I really want to get a poop trout on the ultralight one day and get towed about for half an hour.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

You primarily fish saltwater in Florida though, right? Fighting small freshwater fish on ultralight gear is really fun. One of my rods is lure rated for 1-3g and catching yellow perch or rock bass on it is a blast.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Saltwater and freshwater in florida, with freshwater in texas before I moved to florida. Even before I moved out here, I largely used a medium spinning rod with 10-12lb floro. Ultralight stuff just boggles the mind for me, partly I think because I've never actually seen it irl.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Man, I fish almost exclusively on ultralight for freshwater. Granted, some people don't consider 6lb test to be "true" ultralight, and the bass around here don't get much bigger than 5lbs, but still, it makes it somewhat more involved than just setting the hook and reeling in.

I'll go down to 4lb fluro for trout and crappie though, and I think I'm gonna try out 2lb for the fall trout stock this year. I'm just worried about how hard it'll be to tie knots with what is essentially human hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Rape Stink posted:

Man, I fish almost exclusively on ultralight for freshwater. Granted, some people don't consider 6lb test to be "true" ultralight, and the bass around here don't get much bigger than 5lbs, but still, it makes it somewhat more involved than just setting the hook and reeling in.

I'll go down to 4lb fluro for trout and crappie though, and I think I'm gonna try out 2lb for the fall trout stock this year. I'm just worried about how hard it'll be to tie knots with what is essentially human hair.

It sucks pretty bad, especially in low light or when it's very cold