Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pick posted:

My favorite Odo moment is when he's going to kill Sebastian for Ariel's wedding.

Was that before or after he got Skeleton Drunk on invisible magic wine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

After The War posted:

Was that before or after he got Skeleton Drunk on invisible magic wine?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I liked Urban's McCoy a lot. I was semi disappointed to hear about Pine and Hemsworth, but if 4 is going to be by the original scriptwriters for Beyond then I'm just ambivalent either way. Kind of surprised about the Tarantino thing, I'd assumed the same as you, that it'd be a separate project.
Nobody knows much of anything about what the Tarantino project is. I tend to think it's separate from JJ Trek 4, based on the various articles I've read.

I wouldn't worry about the Pine/Hemsworth thing yet, but Paramount is having a lot of issues right now so I'm not sure if they are willing to pony up for the whole cast at this point. It's not like this movie even has a release date, so who really can say when this gets made. I do think it will be hard if it drags on too long, considering Pine and Hemsworth are all very busy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
So, CBS is being sued about Discovery:

http://trekzone.org/1701/201808232505

Apparently, this Kuwaiti game designer has been making a science fiction game since 2014, where the main character is this botanist who works out a system for intergalactic travel using giant tardigrades. I don't know that the lawsuit will get anywhere, but still.

Here's the game designer's blog, pointing out similarities between his trailer/game, and Discovery's plot.

http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Epicurius posted:

So, CBS is being sued about Discovery:

http://trekzone.org/1701/201808232505

Apparently, this Kuwaiti game designer has been making a science fiction game since 2014, where the main character is this botanist who works out a system for intergalactic travel using giant tardigrades. I don't know that the lawsuit will get anywhere, but still.

Here's the game designer's blog, pointing out similarities between his trailer/game, and Discovery's plot.

https://anas-tronaut.blogspot.com/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html

And I'm sure the use of space tardigrades definitely doesn't have a common inspiration in the repeated scientific studies on actual tardigrades in space every year since 2011, several of which centered on the idea of putting tardigrades on tiny space probes to send to other solar systems.

Edit: One of his examples of "plagiarism" is the blue static effect that Star Trek has been reusing for force fields since TNG.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 27, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Roadie posted:

Edit: One of his examples of "plagiarism" is the blue static effect that Star Trek has been reusing for force fields since TNG.

Also "has a black female character" and "has some gay characters".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They also seem to be ignoring that the tardigrade isn't how discovery's drive works, they're just other travellers on the spores.

My favorite bit is 'my gay guys are in a long distance relationship and one of discovery's gay guys has a friend on another ship'

Oh and 'one of discovery's gay couple is blond and one of my gay guys spends a bunch of time hanging out with a blond guy'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 27, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Here's the biggest question: are there tardigarde nipple clamps in the game?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to say greatest generation has grown on me as Adam and Ben advance in their film careers. They finally have interesting things to say about the episode, and since it's about production and direction it's a new angle on Trek for me. The latest podcasts are okay for a Monday drive to work.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

:swoon: You are the sunshine of my life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to say greatest generation has grown on me as Adam and Ben advance in their film careers. They finally have interesting things to say about the episode, and since it's about production and direction it's a new angle on Trek for me. The latest podcasts are okay for a Monday drive to work.

Their complaints are often pedantic but it just so happens The Search part 1 had basically nothing to complain about.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It’s weird to me that I’ve never seen any nerd rage posted over Naomi from Voyager, while Wesley Crusher gets constantly dunked on. They are effectively the same obnoxious child who’s just in the way more than anything l.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Same reason people don't hate Jake or Alexander the same way they hate Wesley; they're written as actual kids doing kid things and giving an alternate perspective on the show, not as a perfect wunderkind who takes over scenes that they have no reason to be in.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Naomi’s episodes are spread out across the whole second half of the show while Wesley’s are frontloaded, and there’s so many other things to bitch about with Voyager by that point that I doubt Naomi even registers with most people. TNG turns out good enough that that dope in his rainbow sweatshirt is one of the worst things people can remember about it.

Also Wesley is just way more annoying, come on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Naomi Wildman?

More like Naomi Docilewoman

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Naomi was fine
Jake was fine
Nog was good (adult actor obviously, so that's different)

Wesley was an annoying twit.

The borg kids were the second most annoying.

Molly was terrible but maybe Miles and Keiko just had a poo poo kid

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I totally forgot Naomi existed, which I think works to the character's benefit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

Naomi was fine
Jake was fine
Nog was good (adult actor obviously, so that's different)

Wesley was an annoying twit.

The borg kids were the second most annoying.

Molly was terrible but maybe Miles and Keiko just had a poo poo kid

Molly was like three years old, and by season seven of DS9, was still somehow three years old and largely nonverbal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao IMDB lists Molly's actress on Renegades and she is still somehow Irish

Star Trek: Renegades (TV Series)
Ensign O'Riley

also lol at "TV Series"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wonder if Shatner has ever looked back with appreciation on the fact that 60 years later, teen girls would still be drawing Kirk as unrealistically hot

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

60s Shatner is pretty unrealistically hot

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Uh, no, he was handsome in a very normal way.

Now, Steve Reeves. That was unrealistically hot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That’s a funny way of spelling “60s Nimoy”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nimoy was always weird looking

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That’s what makes it unrealistic.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

In kind of a Benedict Cumberbatch sort of way.

This applies to Nimoy, imo:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Young Takei was quite the looker as well.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They were all fabulous and 60s Nichelle Nichols was impressively ripped. She looked like she could have deadlifted any one of her male co-stars.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Really goes to show how poo poo those early TNG uniforms were

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know it would have clashed with his skin, but Data really should have worn a blue uniform. He was always doing science tasks anyway, and the TNG bridge was a really dichromatic place whenever Crusher wasn’t there.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Phylodox posted:

They were all fabulous and 60s Nichelle Nichols was impressively ripped. She looked like she could have deadlifted any one of her male co-stars.

as much as I try to forget that fan dance from star trek V, she was pretty ripped in the late 80s too.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I can't hate the fan dance because of that one guy at the end who just goes "aww drat" when he realizes the trick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OK well all the women who are into Star Trek, such as myself, are super loving weird so maybe it's like the natural order of things to find Nimoy painfully attractive?? huh??? huh???!?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just kidding, I don't have a crush on Spock. My mom got dibs in the 60s and I dunno, it's just not right to double tap

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Plenty of Spocks in the sea!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's ok, you can bang Quinto Spock instead

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Quinto Spock 100% cries during sex

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

It's ok, you can bang Quinto Spock instead

ew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy