Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found rec room totally unplayable because of the teleporting and general lack of direction on how to play. It's a good idea for a game but goddamn I hate actually playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So I ordered a Monoculus Rift on Thursday and got it on Saturday. It was $60 and that's impulse buy territory, especially because the RTX2070 isn't out yet so I had nothing else to spend money on. Anyway, I figured out how to get it working with Steam and my Xbone controller and that's nifty. But what else can I do with this thing besides games? Can I watch Netflix on a simulated big screen or browse the internet like Tom Cruise in Minority Report?

Or did I buy a $60 Trucksim accessory (worth it)?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

I found rec room totally unplayable because of the teleporting and general lack of direction on how to play. It's a good idea for a game but goddamn I hate actually playing it.

I always feel lost jumping in but charades is a ton of fun. At least, when you get a lobby with people who want to play and not just say racist poo poo.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I had a good time with Rec Room going through the adventure modes, but the difficulty is surprisingly high given the amount of kids in their user base. I haven't been back since the Battle Royale came out, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Humerus posted:

So I ordered a Monoculus Rift on Thursday and got it on Saturday. It was $60 and that's impulse buy territory, especially because the RTX2070 isn't out yet so I had nothing else to spend money on. Anyway, I figured out how to get it working with Steam and my Xbone controller and that's nifty. But what else can I do with this thing besides games? Can I watch Netflix on a simulated big screen or browse the internet like Tom Cruise in Minority Report?

Or did I buy a $60 Trucksim accessory (worth it)?

Yes you can do both of those things

You can watch video in DeoVR, and you can play Netflix/web browsing Minority Report in Bigscreen Beta. Both free on steam

Mine is pretty much exclusively used for Elite Dangerous and iRacing

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

nickhimself posted:

Does the Z position in Beat Saber also shift the beat blocks, or does it only shift the graphics unrelated to beats? I've moved it pretty far forward but I still end up walking backwards to make the slices sync better with the blocks. I feel like the game needs an audio offset option unless it already exists somewhere that I haven't checked

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, but it sounds like you using the debug mode and move the play space. Why are you moving the play space forward?

What's wrong with standing in the middle of the default location? It seems perfect with Vive/Rift when you do.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I found Rec Room to be both one of the best games and experiences out there. Obviously, as a social game, a lot of your enjoyment depends on other people's behavior, but I found the userbase pretty comparable and you can usually get rid of annoying kids very easily.

I still wish they would have released the gokart gamemode :saddowns:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Rec Room is good for a night on the weekend and you're up so late that people in other timezones are waking up and may not speak your language. Otherwise I just like working on my frisbee golf game

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes you can do both of those things

You can watch video in DeoVR, and you can play Netflix/web browsing Minority Report in Bigscreen Beta. Both free on steam

Mine is pretty much exclusively used for Elite Dangerous and iRacing

Oh cool, thanks. Follow up question: does SteamVR have any documentation anywhere? Thanks to a post in this thread, I learned that holding the back button on an Xbone controller pulls up the VR menu, and then through experimentation I figured out holding down the start button lets me access the other VR menu (sometimes), but there still seems to be some stuff that I can only do with motion controllers. I played a game in the VR theater and the options for like, changing screen size or recentering seemed to be inaccessible to me.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The experience with an Xbone controller is so, so bad in SteamVR - it's like they've never even tried using it. There's also an Xbox One controller option in the menu but I think that actually just makes your Steam controller pretend to be an Xbox controller cause it sure doesn't change poo poo for me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

I tried an HP headset on integrated HD 5500,(8th gen versus your 9th gen), and it just straight up refused to do anything. Wouldn't even render a lag-filled environment, just said use a different PC.

Nerdrock posted:

Out of curiosity, I just did.

My conclusion : don't.

connected it to my GPD Win 2. I could get into the cliffhouse, but it looked like playstation 1 textures. crashed as soon as I tried to load any WMR app.

Thanks both! I guess one generation makes a bit of a difference but it's a bummer it's still completely useless. I was hoping to be that rear end in a top hat with the VR headset on the plane :v:

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
The first time I played rec room my opponent wasn't using his racket and just started hitting the ball with his hand. I yelled at him and he called me the n word.

Now I spend most of the time obliterating children in paintball. A+ game would recommend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Humerus posted:

Oh cool, thanks. Follow up question: does SteamVR have any documentation anywhere? Thanks to a post in this thread, I learned that holding the back button on an Xbone controller pulls up the VR menu, and then through experimentation I figured out holding down the start button lets me access the other VR menu (sometimes), but there still seems to be some stuff that I can only do with motion controllers. I played a game in the VR theater and the options for like, changing screen size or recentering seemed to be inaccessible to me.

Nope! Its a complete mess and yeah, some things can only be done with motion controllers. Monoculus Rift users, are better served staying out of SteamVR's construct and doing things through other apps like the ones I posted

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
add me for rec royale shenanigans. https://rec.net/user/Walrus/rooms I should be on Tuesday and Wednesday nights

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

EbolaIvory posted:

I always feel lost jumping in but charades is a ton of fun. At least, when you get a lobby with people who want to play and not just say racist poo poo.

Report those people, rec room is actually pretty great about banning those poo poo heads.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

OK, it's almost September 2018, any rumors about Vive or Rift 2 yet?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

OK, it's almost September 2018, any rumors about Vive or Rift 2 yet?

Oculus Connect 5 is one month away, we're expecting to hear about the final information and release date for Santa Cruz, which is gonna basically be a full VR console (mobile hardware guts, but full 6dof tracking), and a good chance for more info on stuff that will be in Rift 2, but probably no announcement of any actual device.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

knifegrab peeing into a portal dot gif

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Lemming posted:

Oculus Connect 5 is one month away, we're expecting to hear about the final information and release date for Santa Cruz, which is gonna basically be a full VR console (mobile hardware guts, but full 6dof tracking), and a good chance for more info on stuff that will be in Rift 2, but probably no announcement of any actual device.

Hopefully they can squeeze versions of some of the more popular games onto it. They better be paying the Beat Saber people to have it on there day one.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Republicans posted:

Hopefully they can squeeze versions of some of the more popular games onto it. They better be paying the Beat Saber people to have it on there day one.

I'm expecting a bunch of ports. I think it'll be enticing for devs too, since mobile/console style hardware encourages people to drop lots of cash in small amounts, and I think it'll be super accessible so it'll take off in a way nothing else has.

But yeah I would bet my left arm Beat Saber will be a launch title. They'd have to be insane not to have that

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of Beat Saber, I finally have my office cleared out again so I picked that up tonight. That game is legit! Ran through the included songs once on normal and then about half on hard and I am already working up a sweat.

I'm gonna figure out how to mod it now, but are most of the user made songs expert only or is there a selection at lower difficulties too?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of Beat Saber, I finally have my office cleared out again so I picked that up tonight. That game is legit! Ran through the included songs once on normal and then about half on hard and I am already working up a sweat.

I'm gonna figure out how to mod it now, but are most of the user made songs expert only or is there a selection at lower difficulties too?

Most are Expert or Expert+ which is where you will be without being bored out of your skull after about 2 weeks

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

I'm expecting a bunch of ports. I think it'll be enticing for devs too, since mobile/console style hardware encourages people to drop lots of cash in small amounts, and I think it'll be super accessible so it'll take off in a way nothing else has.

But yeah I would bet my left arm Beat Saber will be a launch title. They'd have to be insane not to have that

Ask yourself this; if they can port existing Oculus games to it so easily, why aren't the minimum specs for most titles a lot lower than they currently are?

VR is a niche market to start with, and they're basically asking devs to build games for either a single platform with lower specs or something they can shop around to ALL the major VR platforms. Granted, they could uprez after the fact like with Vita games on PS3/PS4, buuut the other VR platforms are still likely to be the greater market share in the end.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ask yourself this; if they can port existing Oculus games to it so easily, why aren't the minimum specs for most titles a lot lower than they currently are?

VR is a niche market to start with, and they're basically asking devs to build games for either a single platform with lower specs or something they can shop around to ALL the major VR platforms. Granted, they could uprez after the fact like with Vita games on PS3/PS4, buuut the other VR platforms are still likely to be the greater market share in the end.

I didn't say it was easy, but it's obviously worth doing because those are the games that are good.

Also the min specs were chosen so that the games would look good, they didn't target toasters they targeted enthusiast level PC's because grandma wasn't going to buy a VR headset sight unseen anyway

Also I think there's a very significant chance that Santa Cruz becomes the top platform very quickly

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm curious how they're going to market it. There's already so much confusion with lovely gas station phone holders. Then on to of that oculus go came out, and rift is out, I think you'll have a lot of people not knowing what the differences are and getting confused.

I still think it has great potential, even the go, as "primitive" as it is gets used by me more than anything else just because of how easy it is. I just... I don't think it will be a breakout smash hit, even if they reach an insane price point like 399.

PC users can buy a desktop set, PS4 users can get a psvr, so... Switch and X Box owners? People too cheap for a new video card, but willing to drop 500 on a stand alone?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm curious how they're going to market it. There's already so much confusion with lovely gas station phone holders. Then on to of that oculus go came out, and rift is out, I think you'll have a lot of people not knowing what the differences are and getting confused.

I still think it has great potential, even the go, as "primitive" as it is gets used by me more than anything else just because of how easy it is. I just... I don't think it will be a breakout smash hit, even if they reach an insane price point like 399.

PC users can buy a desktop set, PS4 users can get a psvr, so... Switch and X Box owners? People too cheap for a new video card, but willing to drop 500 on a stand alone?

I think this is a bigger factor than you give it credit for. People went nuts over Beat Saber as a concept, but they don't have much of an opportunity to actually try it out besides going into someone's VR dungeon. If you can buy a Santa Cruz, walk around and just put it on peoples' heads like you can with the Go, but put them in something where they can actually reach out and interact with the world, I think that's the spark that VR needs.

VR is something you gotta try to really get and Santa Cruz is both going to be easily accessible like the Go, but also sufficiently capable that you can evangelize 6dof headset and controller VR without abducting people.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has anyone used an Intel G3258 pentium to run a rift or vive? Considering the idea of kicking my 1080 down to the media center pc in the living room once the 2080 is out and getting a second headset.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Except most of the potential playerbase almost certainly already own a PS4 or PC, so a VR headset for those is going to be their likely buy-in rather than a standalone device that can't play the games they actually want to try. 6DoF without advertised games doesn't mean much against Beat Saber, Job Simulator, Sprint Vector, Echo Arena, Rec Room, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a monoculus rift in SF if anyone is willing to trade me for it, could not get the drivers working with my laptop. Not gonna make an SAmart post as its way too niche.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except most of the potential playerbase almost certainly already own a PS4 or PC, so a VR headset for those is going to be their likely buy-in rather than a standalone device that can't play the games they actually want to try. 6DoF without advertised games doesn't mean much against Beat Saber, Job Simulator, Sprint Vector, Echo Arena, Rec Room, etc.

... that's why I think they're going to port games

And again, the vast majority of people don't want VR because they haven't tried it and don't have an opportunity to try it. Something that has the portability of a Go but the full featured interaction like a Vive or Rift is the way you get people to actually be able to demo something, and then instead of the laundry list of requirements and tech stuff you have to deal with you can tell them to just buy a Santa Cruz and you have everything you need ready to go out of the box.

We'll see in time but with how easy and convenient the Go has proven to be to use and demo and with how compelling 6dof VR is I'm pretty confident it's going to be a winner.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just think any ~500 dollar device is going to be a tough sell. Consoles are at least a known quantity, you can advertise a console and people know what it is and what its worth. SC though is going to be this sort of... thing... that suffers from the google cardboards of the last 4 years, with VR still being relatively obscure enough that normal people dont' know the stats or terms or anything about what to expect.

I'm excited for SC, and I think it has a lot potential, but its totally going to rest on just how good games for it can be, the price, and how they can communicate it to the public. I really hope i'm overly pessimistic though, I really do. I'd love to see them on display in every best buy and flying off shelves.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Enos Cabell posted:

There's stuff for everyone. Some nonsense exists, and the tryhards do dominate most of the map creation, but a lot should be possible still.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I just think any ~500 dollar device is going to be a tough sell. Consoles are at least a known quantity, you can advertise a console and people know what it is and what its worth. SC though is going to be this sort of... thing... that suffers from the google cardboards of the last 4 years, with VR still being relatively obscure enough that normal people dont' know the stats or terms or anything about what to expect.

I'm excited for SC, and I think it has a lot potential, but its totally going to rest on just how good games for it can be, the price, and how they can communicate it to the public. I really hope i'm overly pessimistic though, I really do. I'd love to see them on display in every best buy and flying off shelves.

That's pretty much my thought as well. I'd love to be proven wrong, I just don't see it getting developer interest over the big-boy VR platforms, and it's not exactly going to garner consumer interest with graphics and games almost certainly looking worse than what a PSVR can offer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

What's the best underwater experience available for Oculus Rift? I just spent a day at the local aquarium and am obsessed with undersea wildlife after staring at a giant tank full of sharks for nearly an hour.

If you like sharks, but don't want to be underwater, have I got the VR game for you:

https://www.sharknadovr.com/#trailer

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Most are Expert or Expert+ which is where you will be without being bored out of your skull after about 2 weeks

Pretty much this. I'm always super bummed out when a map only goes up to Hard. Because most of the time, Not even dancing can save it its so slow. And trust me. I'm a fuckin dancing machine when it comes to beat saber.

Most of the "tryhardzzz" maps, End up not being as try hard as you think once you "git gud". I'm pushing songs at levels I used to look at and just glaze over. Theres def some garbage out there but you'll come back to some stuff you figured was garbage and "get it".
Heisenberg maps are like this. More so his latest stuff.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tom Guycot posted:

I expect a big feature of OC5 will be info about titles for SC. They are releasing an actually console now, so it's absolutely key they have enough stuff for it to be an enticing sell. But god knows how much they would have to spend to make a really great lineup; I am still pretty sceptical that any significant number of PCVR games can be ported without being downsized/downgraded into little more than demos, given the hardware limitations. Could well be wrong on that though.

I wonder how much storage the thing will have. Fully-fledged VR games take up a shitload of space.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dang do I ever wish you would try my songs in soundboxing, evolaivory. pretty sure you would find the same thing- what was once oppressively fast is now speedy and makes you feel like a dancing ninja

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

El Grillo posted:

I wonder how much storage the thing will have. Fully-fledged VR games take up a shitload of space.

Some do, Then killer apps people care about like Beat Saber end up being 300 megs.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hadlock posted:

I have a monoculus rift in SF if anyone is willing to trade me for it, could not get the drivers working with my laptop. Not gonna make an SAmart post as its way too niche.

Why can't you just return it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

I am still pretty sceptical that any significant number of PCVR games can be ported without being downsized/downgraded into little more than demos, given the hardware limitations. Could well be wrong on that though.

Well the PS4 (non pro) does 1.8 Tflops and a SD 835 (the current rumored processor for SC) does .567 Tflops, and a GTX 960 (Rift min) does 2.3 Tflops. The SC will likely have ASW giving it a leg up on the PSVR. If someone is already working to port to PSVR I don't think getting down to Santa Cruz should really be all that hard. They'll likely have to cut some shaders and reoptimize some materials but I think it's doable esp. with ASW. I know when I was talking with people working for PSVR they said, don't think of scaling down a PCVR title, instead think about scaling up a Gear VR title (that was in the days of the Note 4).

The much bigger problem IMO for PCVR titles is the single threaded performance for ARM CPU. The consoles have about 1.4 GHz CPUs with lower IPC so everyone used to a 4.4 GHZ 6700k is in a for a rude awaking trying to get the single-threaded code (Unity) running on a console. SC will likely suffer from the same issue that while the GPU is comparable the CPU likely will be much harder. Those fixes can't be changed by simple tweaks and require significant optimization.

Sources: https://www.gsmarena.com/counterclockwise_consolequality_graphics_on_phones-news-28080.php
https://www.google.com/search?q=glfops+ps4&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS803US803&oq=glfops+ps4&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4043j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3181069/gtx-960-strix-teraflops.html

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 28, 2018