Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Also in Victoria we've got this white elephant monstrosity that wasted millions of dollars for no reason but I hear it somehow can make bad water into good water, idk though sounds like a dumbass doondoggle labah waste to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
But more trees = less room for cows = less money.

loving State Government not letting me bulldoze every shrub I see.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Trees are dead money better to buy an investment property as long as cats aren't allowed inside.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone watching Four Corners?

was quite good. thank christ we didn't end up with Dutton, for reals the man seems like a complete oval office.
I'd rather hear about the Sharks than see just how fascist Australia can get

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

Drained straight out of the Murray-Darling

I didn't say I agreed with them.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Cattle is literally the most water intensive thing you can farm too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDKpOxpTV0k

Saw this on TV

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What the gently caress is wrong with Queenslanders?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Chadzok posted:

I'd rather hear about the Sharks than see just how fascist Australia can get

These options aren't mutually exclusive.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Starshark posted:

In NSW they want 400 000 (giga?)litres of water instead of the 15 000 they're getting.

*megalitres http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-27/drought-continues-in-nsw-despite-weekend-rain/10166682

JBP posted:

Also in Victoria we've got this white elephant monstrosity that wasted millions of dollars for no reason but I hear it somehow can make bad water into good water, idk though sounds like a dumbass doondoggle labah waste to me.

According to its wiki, the Victorian desal plant has an output capacity of 410 megalitres per day (with an extended output of 550).

At this point we'd probably get better value for money from drought relief if we just built a bunch of solar powered desal plants and use that to supply the farmers (while also lowering/cutting their take from the MD Basin).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They call them Great White Sharks for a reason, fucko. :godwinning:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If I recall Anna Bligh wanted to build a lot of Desal plants but Campbell Newman cancelled them all.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
https://imgur.com/a/pPWJ9zY

barnaby's make up team really did a good job on his lashes that day (from four corners, barnaby's response to Malcolm gracefully calling him a oval office after his affair came out).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Rock Puncher posted:

https://imgur.com/a/pPWJ9zY

barnaby's make up team really did a good job on his lashes that day (from four corners, barnaby's response to Malcolm gracefully calling him a oval office after his affair came out).

Which Michael Jackson video was this?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

What the gently caress is wrong with Queenslanders?

I honestly don't know why we are this way, it might be the humidity, or maybe its because the maroons are so loving good.

Take that sharks.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SA built an expensive desal plant during a drought, and then when the drought ended they were all "look all the water is back in the reservoirs, what a waste of money that was", demonstrating the academically accepted fact that Boomers have no object permanence

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Which Michael Jackson video was this?

They Don't Care About Us

poor guy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

Cattle is literally the most water intensive thing you can farm too.

what about rice

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Salmon uses the ocean, a little known thing called the most amount of water in the world

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

The Peccadillo posted:

Salmon uses the ocean, a little known thing called the most amount of water in the world

Also creates a fuckton of pollution, just ask southern Tasmania.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Wrageowrapper posted:

Also creates a fuckton of pollution, just ask southern Tasmania.

And the food they eat isn't exactly sustainably sourced either from what I remember.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not sure about Salmon, but Tuna farms are fed using unsustainably trawled baitfish

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

Not sure about Salmon, but Tuna farms are fed using unsustainably trawled baitfish

Pretty sure it's the same for Salmon.

E: And Prawns.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 27, 2018

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Aquaculture of high trophic level species will probably never be sustainable even if they manage to figure out alternatives to wild-caught feed

The energy inefficiencies are just too high

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I believe a not insignificant amount of the feed that goes into raising salmon is sourced from chickens. Probably the stuff so bad you wouldn't even want to make nuggets out of them but probably its exactly the same (this is a joke about nuggets).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nuggets are delicious and reduce waste.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
And you can buy enough of them to choke a horse for $10 at your local fast food chain.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

dang, now i'm in the mood for a vietnamese dim sim

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'm in the mood to choke a horse.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

If this drought is business as usual why the gently caress should we care about some dipshit farmers. Should have prepared ahead of time, mate

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
if we build enough desal plants could we defeat climate change by simply using up the water in the ocean before it rises to submerge our cities and/or people

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's dryer than a dead dingoes donger out here mates.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Rock Puncher posted:

Not much to go on, but I haven't seen four corners in a long time and they're usually pretty good.

How quick are they about putting things on iview these days?

Here it is: https://youtu.be/3VHvoClQe8o

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

BBJoey posted:

If this drought is business as usual why the gently caress should we care about some dipshit farmers. Should have prepared ahead of time, mate

you have been offered the position of Shadow Special Envoy for Drought Assistance and Recovery

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

JBP posted:

Which is delivering water right now as some of the larger reservoirs are sitting at 60% (lowest volume since 2014).

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Dan Andrews just announced an election committent to build an underground suburban rail loop connecting all the major rail lines from Cheltenham-Werribee via the Airport. :vince:

https://www.3aw.com.au/daniel-andrews-announces-suburban-rail-loop-see-the-video/

There's no way the Libs can beat that in terms of PT investment (which they don't do).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, huge promise.

12 new underground stations (new station locations in capitals) as well as interchanges with existing stations.

Cheltenham, Clayton, MONASH, Glen Waverly, BURWOOD, Box Hill, DONCASTER, Bundoora, HEIDLEBERG, Reservoir, Fawkner, Broadmeadows, MELBOURNE AIRPORT, Sunshine, Werribee.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

drunkill posted:

Yeah, huge promise.

12 new underground stations (new station locations in capitals) as well as interchanges with existing stations.

Cheltenham, Clayton, MONASH, Glen Waverly, BURWOOD, Box Hill, DONCASTER, Bundoora, HEIDLEBERG, Reservoir, Fawkner, Broadmeadows, MELBOURNE AIRPORT, Sunshine, Werribee.

gently caress me dead. That’s amazing.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Finally woot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That's huge. Do we think attitudes are changing toward public transport enough that it's a sure fire winner?

Working in the CBD, inner and outer west, I've known my fair share of swing voters who look down on public transport, still holding the Australian dream of a quarter acre and think an hour commute is fine for their three car family. Any investment in public transport is a waste of money when they should just build more roads blah blah blah.

• Locked thread