Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Might be overkill, but I wouldn't mind if they added another bar (like how stability works) for this, and have it lump in how all the debuffs get affected:

Every time you were hit by PPCs or similar weapon, in addition to the debuff itself a disruption bar would go up. Like heat and stability, various actions could raise or lower the bar. The bar also has a threshold (which varies based on chassis, Tactics level, and equipment). Instead of going away after a turn or two, debuffs persist as long as the disruption bar is past the threshold.

Stuff that increases it : Hits from PPC type weapons, specific jamming equipment, being in the overheat threshold, low morale (Panic state), Head hits, damage or destruction of PPC, Gauss or electronic equipment onboard, some experimental tech, and firing Snub Nose or Pirate PPZ (these generate reduced heat to compensate) and standing in mineral fields or radiation patches.

Stuff that reduces it : ECM equipment, with different equipment providing different benefits (some gives greater capacity, some raises the threshold, and some makes the bar go down faster each turn), bracing, and in an emergency, manually shutting down your mech to 'reboot' it,which resets the bar.

Once past the threshold, you suffer increasing penalties, starting with TTS systems and bonus accuracy for energy weapons, arm mounts, and pulse weapons going away, then higher penalties for energy weapons, higher recoil penalties and at max losing the ability to fire indirectly, use special abilities, and getting lowered stability threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Panfilo posted:

I'd like to see the disruption effect stack too, it would make platforms like the Awesome that much more awesome. But I'd be worried that we would more likely be on the receiving end of it since you're already outnumbered and there's plenty of vehicles and turrets that shoot PPC as well.

Luckily this is incredibly easy to do - it's literally 1 line in the PPC weapon file. I personally run PPCs as having a 2 turn debuff duration, with the debuff having a stacking cap of 3 debuffs. Yes that means a single Awesome can cap out the debuff in one turn of fire. Because it is an Awesome. (They're also slightly less heat generating, but that's because I like PPCs)

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The changes to lasers helped a bit, but I still would never run them without the ability to DHS the engine, they'd need to drop the heat quite a bit more still for me to do that. 3 + damage Large Lasers still only do 150 damage for 54 heat where as 4 + damage SRM 6 will do 288 damage for 48 heat and 2 + damage AC 20s will do 240 damage for 50 heat. You can't even see enemies much beyond SRM/AC 20 range so the range advantage of lasers is negligible and not at all worth the fact that they only do at best 63% of the damage of the best missile or ballistic damage for a similar amount of heat. Not to mention the fact that lasers also don't do any stability damage.

In Roguetech however, I can build a laser toting mech that actually puts out similar damage to my ballistic and/or missile mechs thanks in large part to the engine DHS system. I still have a SRM boat that is the second most damaging mech I have, right behind punchbot 9000. Then after that I have an X LPL mech which does great damage at decent range and a 4th mech that primarily locks mechs down with 4 Plasma Cannons.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm not sure how you're playing the game if you "don't see enemies much beyond SRM/AC20 range". The SRM's will also shotgun their damage all over the place, while the LL's will have bigger single-location damage. Add the fact that LL's are long range, have no minimum range, don't need ammo (and so can't run out, and have nothing to violently explode). Oh and extra accuracy. It's also not exactly fair to compare +rank SRMs to anything because nothing scales as ridiculously as SRMs with +ranks. + Rank gear breaks any balance concerns inherently - it's not even part of the conversation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

deathbagel posted:

The changes to lasers helped a bit, but I still would never run them without the ability to DHS the engine, they'd need to drop the heat quite a bit more still for me to do that. 3 + damage Large Lasers still only do 150 damage for 54 heat where as 4 + damage SRM 6 will do 288 damage for 48 heat and 2 + damage AC 20s will do 240 damage for 50 heat. You can't even see enemies much beyond SRM/AC 20 range so the range advantage of lasers is negligible and not at all worth the fact that they only do at best 63% of the damage of the best missile or ballistic damage for a similar amount of heat. Not to mention the fact that lasers also don't do any stability damage.

Two AC20s are 28-30 tons, though.

3xLL vs 4xSRM6 is a more fair comparison since they're both 15 tons, and certainly SRMs will dunk on them, but then again SRMs dunk on all other weapons - no contest.

You can't field all SRMs all the time on any chassis, though, so optimization means maxing SRMs and the rest of the space is devoted to mlas and llas by necessity. MLas vs LLas vs AC5 is the comparison you should be making, then.

The big thing with LLas is that the damage bonused ones plus a single missile hit deal 62, which is enough to decapitate mechs not in guard/cover. This makes the case for fitting your E hardpoints with good LLas if you find them (and they also have a +3 accuracy bonus, which damage bonused mlas do not).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

deathbagel posted:

In Roguetech however, I can build a laser toting mech that actually puts out similar damage to my ballistic and/or missile mechs thanks in large part to the engine DHS system. I still have a SRM boat that is the second most damaging mech I have, right behind punchbot 9000. Then after that I have an X LPL mech which does great damage at decent range and a 4th mech that primarily locks mechs down with 4 Plasma Cannons.

I think energy loadout+melee is a nice build in RogueTech because you can redline your mech then punch something and dissipate your heat. It also took me quite a while to realize you can manually disable support weapons, useful sometimes since plasma lances build up a lot of heat.

I'm also fond of autocannon builds since you get to the point where space becomes a bigger issue than tonnage. As mentioned before, the regular ACs are still perfectly good if you get a nice +++ one.

I have a Warhammer with two ER PPCs, a RL15, four ER small lasers and two AC/2+++ (bonus range, accuracy, and evasion ignore). It has been an extremely solid build, the AC/2s generate pretty negligible heat so they pretty much always fire with the PPCs, and up close I have a mix of small weapons to fire instead of one of the PPCs.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not sure how you're playing the game if you "don't see enemies much beyond SRM/AC20 range". The SRM's will also shotgun their damage all over the place, while the LL's will have bigger single-location damage. Add the fact that LL's are long range, have no minimum range, don't need ammo (and so can't run out, and have nothing to violently explode). Oh and extra accuracy. It's also not exactly fair to compare +rank SRMs to anything because nothing scales as ridiculously as SRMs with +ranks. + Rank gear breaks any balance concerns inherently - it's not even part of the conversation.

It ends up being 288 damage spread over the 7 locations (minus the head, since you don't usually hit it, but when you do it's a nice bonus) is 41 to every location. The 3 LLs do 50 each to 3 locations. The AC 20's are king for that obviously (and the reason that in the vanilla campaign I had both my Atlas II and my first King Crab set up with dual AC 20)

I had + gear coming out of my rear end in a top hat in the vanilla campaign. Since there isn't much reason to salvage anything else off mechs. If you want to ignore the + damage part then it's 120 damage for 54 heat compared to 192 for 48 heat on SRMs and 200 for 48 heat on dual AC 20s. So, LLs are still only 63% of other weapons at best. Again, there is no stability damage. Yes, there is no ammo to get blown up, but when you are killing your enemies almost 40% faster then that's 40% less damage your mechs are going to be taking.

If you want to use LLs, then great, use them, but you can't logically argue that they are as effective as the other weapon groups.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Two AC20s are 28-30 tons, though.

3xLL vs 4xSRM6 is a more fair comparison since they're both 15 tons, and certainly SRMs will dunk on them, but then again SRMs dunk on all other weapons - no contest.

You can't field all SRMs all the time on any chassis, though, so optimization means maxing SRMs and the rest of the space is devoted to mlas and llas by necessity. MLas vs LLas vs AC5 is the comparison you should be making, then.

The big thing with LLas is that the damage bonused ones plus a single missile hit deal 62, which is enough to decapitate mechs not in guard/cover. This makes the case for fitting your E hardpoints with good LLas if you find them (and they also have a +3 accuracy bonus, which damage bonused mlas do not).

The weight and slots definitely make them easier to field than Dual AC 20s, but you still can't take many more than 2 or 3 due to the massive heat they generate. That, again, is why I personally like engine DHS. It lets you field enough of them to make them worthwhile.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
RogueTech balances regular SRMs and Streak SRMs pretty well I think. Streak have better range, are way more accurate, but weigh 1.5x as much and also generate more heat. They can't benefit from special ammo either, so you can get parity on accuracy with Artemis, massive increases in damage (+4dmg racks with Dead fire end up with with like 18 dmg per missile), better crit chance or bonus heat.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

deathbagel posted:

It ends up being 288 damage spread over the 7 locations (minus the head, since you don't usually hit it, but when you do it's a nice bonus) is 41 to every location. The 3 LLs do 50 each to 3 locations. The AC 20's are king for that obviously (and the reason that in the vanilla campaign I had both my Atlas II and my first King Crab set up with dual AC 20)

I had + gear coming out of my rear end in a top hat in the vanilla campaign. Since there isn't much reason to salvage anything else off mechs. If you want to ignore the + damage part then it's 120 damage for 54 heat compared to 192 for 48 heat on SRMs and 200 for 48 heat on dual AC 20s. So, LLs are still only 63% of other weapons at best. Again, there is no stability damage. Yes, there is no ammo to get blown up, but when you are killing your enemies almost 40% faster then that's 40% less damage your mechs are going to be taking.

If you want to use LLs, then great, use them, but you can't logically argue that they are as effective as the other weapon groups.

The weight and slots definitely make them easier to field than Dual AC 20s, but you still can't take many more than 2 or 3 due to the massive heat they generate. That, again, is why I personally like engine DHS. It lets you field enough of them to make them worthwhile.

Are you only comparing damage per heat? AC20's are heavy. You can get 3 Large Lasers per AC20+1tammo (and that's only what 3 AC20 shots? 4?) which comes out ahead in damage I'm pretty sure. Sure the LLs will build more heat (at twice the range and with infinite ammo and extra accuracy), but Mechs come with free sinks - and there's nothing that forces you to boat only energy weapons. Energy weapons exist so you can make use of your free sinks, less heat intensive weapons exist so you can fill out your remaining tonnage. Besides, it's not like Mechs come with infinite hardpoints either on most Mechs you can't boat and if Roguetech is letting you boat at will, that's a big problem with Roguetech.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In RogueTech you can only boat with very rare variants of mechs, and even then space becomes a factor if you don't want your mech to be a glass cannon snail. I guess you could SRM boat with a heavier rare mech but weight becomes an issue.

Countermeasures also discourage boating. AMS and ECM will make it much more difficult for a missile boat to hit and you are stuck in a particular range bracket which may or may not be optimal for terrain. You also pretty much have to take CASE (ideally CASE II if you have it) and even then it's dicey since overheats risk ammo explosions in the mod.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I noticed that the various engine sizes will calculate you a slower TT speed for being undersize, they list a higher meters moved, so a 190 vs a 200 on a 50 will say 3 tt move vs 4, but 115m walk vs 120m. I donno if this translates in actual gameplay, but having +move from other sources might make a difference.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

winterwerefox posted:

I noticed that the various engine sizes will calculate you a slower TT speed for being undersize, they list a higher meters moved, so a 190 vs a 200 on a 50 will say 3 tt move vs 4, but 115m walk vs 120m. I donno if this translates in actual gameplay, but having +move from other sources might make a difference.

I didn't take that into consideration. A Supercharger, MASC, or TSM might nudge your walk or sprint speed past the next movement pip if you're close to the borderline.

For a while I hoarded Urbie engines because with a 060 rated engine it ends up being among the lightest engines you'll loot, and I figured would be useful on heavier mechs to turn them into a slow moving gun turret. Problem is that on many mechs you can't even wring out 1 point of movement with such a tiny engine and it isn't available as an option. And the weight saved from having a medium mech only walk 1 vs 2 or 3 isn't even that significant anyway, so the benefits don't really outweigh the risks.

What also sucks is that jump jet slots are based on base walk speed, directly tied to engine size so you also can't get away with having some bonkers minmaxed setup where your mech can only walk 1 but jump 18.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some fun visual bugs I've seen:

-Blow off an arm and having it corkscrew wildly away like a deflating balloon

-Engage in melee near a hillside, only to have the camera pan around to where you can't even see the action. The result was seeing my mech dramatically stomping toward the other mech, only for the camera to pan sideways, and hearing "BANG BOOM SPROING DINGLEWINGLEWINGLE" and seeing mech giblets flying sideways across the screen.

-Roguetech has a lot of mechs with hardpoints that weren't originally on the model. Usually it simply doesn't add a gun barrel somewhere it wouldn't be by default, but sometimes it just says, "screw it" and puts an AC/10 barrel pointing straight up over its head like a goddamn unicorn horn.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Panfilo posted:

-Roguetech has a lot of mechs with hardpoints that weren't originally on the model. Usually it simply doesn't add a gun barrel somewhere it wouldn't be by default, but sometimes it just says, "screw it" and puts an AC/10 barrel pointing straight up over its head like a goddamn unicorn horn.

I managed to do that by adding hardpoints in .json files and hooboy it was pretty good

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I've literally just discovered roguetech today after dropping BT 3 months ago. Can anyone give me pointers on how to kill lights? My first fight and it's radically different to vanilla BT. Can't hit for poo poo and their evasion just doesn't go down.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

School Nickname posted:

I've literally just discovered roguetech today after dropping BT 3 months ago. Can anyone give me pointers on how to kill lights? My first fight and it's radically different to vanilla BT. Can't hit for poo poo and their evasion just doesn't go down.

melee, TAG, NARC, lots of little weapons over one big one, overheating, stability damage if you can mass weapons that are good at that

having one robot as a dedicated EWAR machine is a good move

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Melee helps too. You'll have a better hit chance to punch them than to shoot them a lot of the time and if you do manage to punch them, they lose their bracing and usually also lose their evasion pips as well.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it might interest some of you. Here's a design document for Multiplayer BattleTech 3025 (MPBT3025), a BattleTech game that never quite made it to launch.

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1031756996456972288

I have pretty fond memories of it, but a lot of that is probably nostalgia. It was pretty rough around the edges, but quite ambitious (even though it never met much of that ambition before it got canned).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
LL after the tweak are definitely useful for laser drilling and decaps. On average I'll get 1-3 head removals per mission with a max gunnery/tactics pilot, and the heat is largely manageable unless I'm on a moon or something.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

DrPop posted:

I have pretty fond memories of it, but a lot of that is probably nostalgia. It was pretty rough around the edges, but quite ambitious (even though it never met much of that ambition before it got canned).

~same~ it was fun at the time but insanely grindy and all weapons being hitscan was hella weird

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Holy hell that's an ugly Atlas.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

DrPop posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it might interest some of you. Here's a design document for Multiplayer BattleTech 3025 (MPBT3025), a BattleTech game that never quite made it to launch.

https://twitter.com/MrTalida/status/1031756996456972288

I loved this game, and was very sad that MWO didn't have a similar area conquest mechanic. Really, I had hoped MWO was going to be this, but finished and with 2010 graphics. If it had been, I'd probably still be playing it now.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
That’s a bear.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nickiepoo posted:

It's a game from 2001! Back then 3d graphics only came in two flavors, ugly and hideous.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peer posted:

~same~ it was fun at the time but insanely grindy and all weapons being hitscan was hella weird

It didn’t matter anyway, hits were all calculated client side, which had the effect of preventing any sort of attempt to roll/spread damage ( and also lead to blatant cheating ).

MPBT 3025 did solve the pinpoint damage problem very effectively. The more guns you fired in a single trigger pull, the more damage was spread out over the receiving mech. Along with fixed load outs, this solved the ‘boat identical weapons’ and ‘pop tart sniper’ problems very effectively.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Re: roguetech early game

If you are having trouble getting your hands on proper EWAR gear -- I highly recommend kitting out a mech w/ a lot of energy hard points with as many flamers as possible. Shutting enemy mechs down is super effective.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Re: roguetech early game

If you are having trouble getting your hands on proper EWAR gear -- I highly recommend kitting out a mech w/ a lot of energy hard points with as many flamers as possible. Shutting enemy mechs down is super effective.

This is very true also. I started a new run over the weekend because I wanted to try it with clan tech (hoo boy is some of that clan tech stuff broken... but it's been fun so far!) and the starting mechs I got for the random start were absolutely terrible. They started me with a Vindicator, a Blackjack, a Jenner, a Firestarter and a Panther. So I just loaded up all of the lights with flamers and the Vidicator became a punchbot and I just shut down everything I could then punched it to death. It was a very tough start, but being able to take a couple mechs out of ever fight almost immediately helped a ton until I was able to get some better mechs. Now I've managed a way more fun group consisting of a Shadowhawk IIC with ATMs, SSRMs and a +++SRM 6, a Strix punchbot with two chainswords, fire breath, tag and tagger, a Royal Crab with 3 Plasma Cannons and a Blackjack variant that is 55 tons which is currently packing 2 Clan UAC 10s.

Nickiepoo posted:

It's beautiful!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

My current playthrough is phenomenal as I'm playing it coop with two friends over parsec. We're still in the light mech phase but we're running the following Lance primarily:

Goblin, hunchback, and two wolfhounds.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

My current playthrough is phenomenal as I'm playing it coop with two friends over parsec.

How does this work exactly? Parsec seems to be a system for streaming games I see but how does that translate into coop?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Nickiepoo posted:

How does this work exactly? Parsec seems to be a system for streaming games I see but how does that translate into coop?

Parsec let's you give remote control to other people in your party. Since they are friends IRL I give them full control over mouse/keyboard. So they can move the cursor on their own.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

Parsec let's you give remote control to other people in your party. Since they are friends IRL I give them full control over mouse/keyboard. So they can move the cursor on their own.

Oh nice, so you can do a kind of manual 'These three mechs are mine and you control Dekker' setup.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

deathbagel posted:

This is very true also. I started a new run over the weekend because I wanted to try it with clan tech (hoo boy is some of that clan tech stuff broken... but it's been fun so far!) and the starting mechs I got for the random start were absolutely terrible. They started me with a Vindicator, a Blackjack, a Jenner, a Firestarter and a Panther. So I just loaded up all of the lights with flamers and the Vidicator became a punchbot and I just shut down everything I could then punched it to death. It was a very tough start, but being able to take a couple mechs out of ever fight almost immediately helped a ton until I was able to get some better mechs. Now I've managed a way more fun group consisting of a Shadowhawk IIC with ATMs, SSRMs and a +++SRM 6, a Strix punchbot with two chainswords, fire breath, tag and tagger, a Royal Crab with 3 Plasma Cannons and a Blackjack variant that is 55 tons which is currently packing 2 Clan UAC 10s.

It's beautiful!

I haven't kept up with the game since finishing an initial playthrough, so forgive my ignorance - does the roguetech mod add clantech? I thought it was still pre-invasion.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I ran into a game ending bug last night, in my modded campaign. I was hopping systems near the end of the month and had several mechs about to be completed. Something happened where it wouldn't resolve the end of the month properly, the game clicked over to the next month but had negative days till the next one and my mech bay ended up unreachable; even after a clean install. I think it had to do with the chained jumpship animations, prevented one of the mods from resolving properly. Either way this is probably a sign that I should take a break until the expac comes out anyway

Having said all that, I'm somewhere north of 300 hours and I still love this game

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Nickiepoo posted:

Oh nice, so you can do a kind of manual 'These three mechs are mine and you control Dekker' setup.

Right! We did something similar with a playthrough of Battle Brothers.

The goal in Battletech is to have all 3 bays unlocked and each of us being a squad leader to mech mercs.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DrPop posted:

I haven't kept up with the game since finishing an initial playthrough, so forgive my ignorance - does the roguetech mod add clantech? I thought it was still pre-invasion.

It does, it's selectable when you install the mod.

RogueTech is very much a "kitchen sink" kind of mod.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any word about next Official update? Game still on 1.1?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yes to both. 1.2 is in beta now: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-battletech-update-1-2-0-release-notes.1115763/

The turn around time for 1.1 beta -> public wasn’t very long. I feel like less than a week or so

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Yes to both. 1.2 is in beta now: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/beta-battletech-update-1-2-0-release-notes.1115763/

The turn around time for 1.1 beta -> public wasn’t very long. I feel like less than a week or so

The beta just got updated, now it includes the skill tree revamp.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Reading the patch notes now, lol they made Bulwark an active ability and it stacks with cover.

In other words game now has analogues of high cover and hunker down, all that messing about and in the end it's literally XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Alchenar posted:

The beta just got updated, now it includes the skill tree revamp.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...d-more.1116569/

kiva's post about it: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/developer-diaries-1-mechwarrior-ability-revision.1116566/

Here are the notes for that.