Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ccs posted:

It’s sad that with all the cost and effort going into CG movies today they’ll still look dated in 10 years whereas hand drawn movies will be close to timeless.

I’ve been using the “Shuffle” feature on my Plex library which is how I ended up watching Atlantis two days ago. Last night, it picked The Incredibles (I don’t know why, I only have like five Disney films on my server).

I have to hand it to Pixar/Brad Bird, the design of the world and characters is stylized so well that it still works most of the time, and there’s still some scenes that are really impressive looking.

But oooooh man some of the textures are rough, pretty much every flat surface (walls and ground) look incredibly bare. After the plane crashes in the ocean, I had a hard time believing that Pixar looked the hair and the skin of the characters and thought THAT was okay to go ahead with. And some of the miscellaneous background characters are terrifying looking.

For its time, The Incredibles was unbelievably impressive, but fourteen years later... yeesh. It’s aged better than other CGI films of its time (again, the style helps a lot) but it was a little strange to watch it in 2018 and try not to think that my Nintendo Switch could live render something that looks better than it.

I know that going back and changing movies is something that’s frowned upon almost universally, and I generally agree, but if Pixar were to go back and tweak the lighting and textures for The Incredibles I would honestly be okay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My anime picks for best animation would be Akira, Spirited Away, or Paprika.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like for CG it'd be like remasters of video games, like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask both had graphical updates since their original N64 carnation aged very badly, and less like Warner's attempt to colorize every black and white movie in existence.

Though when you think of CG films that aged badly, the one that comes to mind immediately is Jimmy Neutron, it was kind of ugly when it came out, and is just really loving hideous now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any strong opinions on Antz?

It's one I thought looked really ugly when I was a kid but maybe I was just too into Bug's Life.

Animation notwithstanding, it's probably ground zero for Dreamworks' habit of trying to make the all-star cast as a major part of the movie's appeal, even though it's aimed at kids who probably don't know (I certainly didn't) who Woody Allen, Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Sylvester Stallone, Jennifer Lopez, Christopher Walken and so on are and I have a hard time imagining it really added a great deal for parents.

Maybe Allen, since his character is just a standard Woody Allen character except as an ant. Shark Tale is the other big example which occurs to me and I think it might have actually worked there since kids liked Will Smith in 2004. Who knows, maybe there were some really odd six-year olds who were thrilled to see a pufferfish who looked like Martin Scorsese and was voiced by him too!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Robindaybird posted:

I feel like for CG it'd be like remasters of video games, like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask both had graphical updates since their original N64 carnation aged very badly, and less like Warner's attempt to colorize every black and white movie in existence.

Though when you think of CG films that aged badly, the one that comes to mind immediately is Jimmy Neutron, it was kind of ugly when it came out, and is just really loving hideous now.

The video game comparison is an apt one, though with most HD remakes there’s also the excuse of needing old hardware that’s becoming rarer or more expensive to play the original games. By remaking OoT for the 3DS, Nintendo was able to allow another generation of gamers to play the game easily (and make it look better at the same time).

But it’s easy to watch The Incredibles in 2018, so I guess it’s hard for Pixar to legitimize making the movie look better since people are fine with renting it for $3 from the iTunes Store or whatever. Apparently they did go back and redo some of the lighting in Toy Story when it got a Blu-Ray release, I don’t have the DVD or Blu-Ray to compare myself.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Feature films need tons of compositing so is not just a matter of slapping on new textures and lighting and pressing the render button. And I doubt Pixar’s presto software could even open those old scene files done in whatever ancient system they used to use.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They did re-render it for 4K at some point, as the IMAX release at the double feature was definitely higher resolution. Revealed some more flaws, like how hair attaches to heads that gets blurred away at lower resolutions or on film projections.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hey everybody, every first year animation student's favorite Merry Melody is back with a fresh new look for a new generation. This ain't yo daddy's Dover Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0U8iL38xfM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's kinda funny how even things like the anarchic humour and gleeful absurdity of internet animation can clearly be traced back to Chuck Jones and Tex Avery stuff.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
That's like 98% fantastic but I have to say, it kind of drives me nuts when you have a collab and there's scenes where people just copy the same exact visual gags and staging as the original without adding anything or even really drawing it in a wildly different style.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Thompsons posted:

That's like 98% fantastic but I have to say, it kind of drives me nuts when you have a collab and there's scenes where people just copy the same exact visual gags and staging as the original without adding anything or even really drawing it in a wildly different style.

I would agree but they kind of serve the "straight man" role of making the really wacky alternate scenes land harder by contrast.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1034214807828803584

It's got to be better than Disenchantment (which I thought was "fine"). Very looking forward to this. I wonder if that means that his deal with Fox ended.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Boy will his face be red when Disney buys Netflix

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Macaluso posted:

Boy will his face be red when Disney buys Netflix

Man, so we're just accepting that that is a thing that is going to happen, uh?
God, I hate this feeling of powerlessness over these titans devouring each other, and growing stronger with each kill. I feel like a person in a crowd scene of a kaiju movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

paradoxGentleman posted:

God, I hate this feeling of powerlessness over these titans devouring each other, and growing stronger with each kill. I feel like a person in a crowd scene of a kaiju movie.

Disney buying Netflix is unlikely. They already are going to have 2 streaming services.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Hey everybody, every first year animation student's favorite Merry Melody is back with a fresh new look for a new generation. This ain't yo daddy's Dover Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0U8iL38xfM

I appreciate the ring Dora squeezes into the tree, and the fact that other trees in the part have similar rings to indicate that they've done this before.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Having Dan Backslide pull out a dakimakura of Dora instead of a portrait is a great update to that joke.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

IUG posted:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1034214807828803584

It's got to be better than Disenchantment (which I thought was "fine"). Very looking forward to this. I wonder if that means that his deal with Fox ended.

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/941553476340916225

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

paradoxGentleman posted:

the difference between kaiju and megacorps is there are friendly kaiju

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dover Boys feature film when

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dover Boys feature film when

No.

Dover Boys cinematic universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

No.

Dover Boys cinematic universe.

Slappy Squirrel prequel where she actually fights the Nazis.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Slappy Squirrel prequel where she actually fights the Nazis.

The Dover Boys are already canon in the Animaniacs world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LoseHound posted:

The Dover Boys are already canon in the Animaniacs world.

That's the joke, yes.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the joke, yes.

oh whoops, nevermind. I have watched the reanimated dover boys enough that it melted my brain a bit.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Has Animaniacs aged well at all? Was it ever good?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I watched Animaniacs as a kid (this would've been in the mid-90s when it was being rerun) I had no idea what the joke in the Goodfeathers segments was. When it came out, that would've been when Goodfellas was still fairly new; would most kids watching Animaniacs have been aware enough of Goodfellas to get that the three main characters were riffs on the characters from the movie? How about the "Godpigeon" character who was a big Marlon Brando parody? Not even a Vito Corleone parody, just a Marlon Brando parody.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Animaniacs came out at a time when there was a pretty significant monoculture: everyone was more or less watching the same news, had read the same books, were watching the same TV and had seen the same movies. If you're checking it out now and you weren't big on 90s Hollywood you'll probably be missing a lot of the humor.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

End of Shoelace posted:

Has Animaniacs aged well at all? Was it ever good?

Certain aspects have aged poorly ("Helloooooo, nurse!" in particular) but on the whole I think it's still pretty good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Animaniacs, apparently there's going to be a Hulu-exclusive reboot currently scheduled for 2020.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does Shrek still hold up?

Edit: Haha, there was an entire Puss in Boots spin-off show on Netflix which had nearly 100 episodes and I've only discovered it existed today. :D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 30, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wheat Loaf posted:

Edit: Haha, there was an entire Puss in Boots spin-off show on Netflix which had nearly 100 episodes and I've only discovered it existed today. :D

Eeeeh. It's pretty well-trod ground at this point, but it's not bad, I'd say.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shrek is an excellent movie barring one or two painfully dated things in it and if you can divorce how it completey reshaped dreamworks pictures and every other poo poo cgi animated feature, including its sequels, with its influences

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pop culture took all the worst lessons from Shrek, including its own sequels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Shrek ground zero for the Dreamworks eyebrow?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pop culture took all the worst lessons from Shrek, including its own sequels.

I strongly agree. The core themes and major points it is making are strong and necessary, and everyone just remembered that cartoons could fart now.

Then again, I'd say Toy Story is a similar situation--it's a phenomenal film but its lasting influences were the cheapest and most superficial aspects of why it was effective.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Animaniacs, apparently there's going to be a Hulu-exclusive reboot currently scheduled for 2020.

that's gonna be absolutely bizarre.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shrek also has this weird subtext of Katzenberg taking shots at his old boss.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

I strongly agree. The core themes and major points it is making are strong and necessary, and everyone just remembered that cartoons could fart now.

Then again, I'd say Toy Story is a similar situation--it's a phenomenal film but its lasting influences were the cheapest and most superficial aspects of why it was effective.

See FoodFight.

Wasn't Mr Potato Head licensed in Toy Story because it was old poo poo no one cared about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

no

it's super ugly and the good themes are completely overshadowed by awful jokes, pop music, and references for the sake of references