Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
There was this deliberate lo-fi thing going on as punk gave way to new wave and power-pop, and I always felt like the production on Kill 'Em All was more like this pissed-off, high-gain version of the sound of The Knack's "My Sharona" than anything their metal contemporaries were doing in '82

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only things I am mad about with the upcoming live shows this year is that the closest Decrepit Birth is coming to Boston is Manchester, NH and Cannibal Corpse, Gwar, and Tomb Mold are all playing on the same day as each other at three separate venues.

The solution is a) I might still go, it's Decrepit Birth and b) probably Gwar.

The end of October into November is gonna be wild:
10/20 Revocation/Exhumed/Rivers of Nihil
10/22 Suffocation/Cattle Decap/Krisiun/Soreption
10/25 Dying Fetus/Incantation/Gatecreeper/Genocide Pact
10/27 Decrepit Birth/Arsis/Internal Bleeding/Pyrexia
10/31 Arkona/Korpiklaani
11/1 Behemoth/Wolves in the Throne Room
11/8 Gwar

poo poo's gonna be off the hook.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 24, 2018

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

God drat I forgot about Ulver's black metal beginnings, since I'm such a huge fanboy of Perdition City and Shadows Of The Sun. Bergtatt is such a great album.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

henpod posted:

New Anaal song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf8curpccj4

Sounds like their typical stuff at this point, but the vocals are pretty awesome in the harsh, distorted screamy howls.

I dunno, I got into them around The Codex Necro, when they were never going to put a band together live and play.

It's good, but I just can't get into the new stuff.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FHSNIc3wI

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

God drat I forgot about Ulver's black metal beginnings, since I'm such a huge fanboy of Perdition City and Shadows Of The Sun. Bergtatt is such a great album.

I also listened to Bergtatt last night, and I think more and more that it has too much filler, which is impressive for an album that is 34 minutes long. I love the concept, the lyrics, that triumphant riff / solo that ends Capitel I (I love this one a LOT), and the little acoustic part that ends the whole album. But that's pretty much it. The rest ranges from "OK" to "goddamn, you guys needed an editor" for me.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
If the bass ain't farty you can't party

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Horrendous/Tomb Mold show coming to town :vince:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
+ the blackened thrash of DAEVA. Nice!!!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

COOL CORN posted:

Horrendous/Tomb Mold show coming to town :vince:

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

+ the blackened thrash of DAEVA. Nice!!!

also Scorched is joining them in Philly :dance:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Varg posted:

also Scorched is joining them in Philly :dance:

I might be at that show!

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Dead Goon posted:

I dunno, I got into them around The Codex Necro, when they were never going to put a band together live and play.

It's good, but I just can't get into the new stuff.

The thing that saves the band for me is the clean singing during the choruses, changes it up. I like the incomprehensible screaming and heavy riffs but if that is all they did they would be unlistenable imo.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smirr posted:

I also listened to Bergtatt last night, and I think more and more that it has too much filler, which is impressive for an album that is 34 minutes long. I love the concept, the lyrics, that triumphant riff / solo that ends Capitel I (I love this one a LOT), and the little acoustic part that ends the whole album. But that's pretty much it. The rest ranges from "OK" to "goddamn, you guys needed an editor" for me.

Everyone loves early ulver and wants to kiss them or whatever but personally i think that no one would care if they hadn't happened to have been from 90s norway

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Perdition City just makes me want to listen to Scorn.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

Everyone loves early ulver and wants to kiss them or whatever but personally i think that no one would care if they hadn't happened to have been from 90s norway

ok so it's not just me who never understood the huge boner people have for ulver

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just saw Godflesh and it whipped rear end

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Every third Ulver song is really good but I have a hard time making it through nearly any album

e: I still maintain that Rolling Stone off of their last album is a cover of the theme song to The Sopranos

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nice, seeing them tomorrow, then a late night JK Flesh electronic set somewhere else :getin:

quote:

Lost Soul Enterprises and Synthicide reach into the depths to conjure the producer Justin K Broadrick, known as JK Flesh, for a one-of-a-kind performance in an intimate Brooklyn loft setting. The legendary Edinburgh-based artist - who founded the industrial metal band Godflesh - creates a bleak soundscape of pounding industrial techno infused with dub and searing power electronics.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/events/1146454?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=LocalNewsletter-NYC-1808.4

Oh yeah just saw Boris tonight too, so good live.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

Every third Ulver song is really good but I have a hard time making it through nearly any album

Yeah I listened through their discography and this is basically the conclusion I came to.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ok so it's not just me who never understood the huge boner people have for ulver

Ive always thought their black metal was really boring, but the rest of their discography (including movie osts) are absolutely amazing. That's why I was so bummed they cancelled their MDF appearance some years back.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Ive always thought their black metal was really boring, but the rest of their discography (including movie osts) are absolutely amazing. That's why I was so bummed they cancelled their MDF appearance some years back.

the electronic stuff always seemed like metal guys trying to do electronic music but not quite getting there to me, but i've never really listened to it in that much detail

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lyckantropen Themes is one of my favorite albums of all time. No one talks about it much. I’ve always loved the trio of Bergtatt/Kveldssanger/Nattens Madrigal a lot too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A human heart posted:

the electronic stuff always seemed like metal guys trying to do electronic music but not quite getting there to me, but i've never really listened to it in that much detail

I have the reverse opinion about their early stuff tbh. Bergtatt is only ok as black metal goes, Kveldssanger is neat but not really metal at all, Nattens Madrigal is nothing other bands didn’t do better. Their non-metal stuff is all over the place but it’s mostly pretty good. Miles ahead of like, Fenriz’s Tangerine Dream worship albums, for example, and as much as I love them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just saw Godflesh play a loving amazing set and got to chill with him for five minutes or so!

Better than that, now I’m at a small afterparty in a little loft and justin and Benny just walked in, there’s going to be a JK Flesh set now!!!!

E- holy shiiiiiiiiiit

E2 don’t mind me

Snowy fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 26, 2018

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Blake Judd just got caught selling awful Judas Iscariot bootlegs from his new label.

How do metalheads keep falling for his poo poo?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Friends Are Evil posted:

Blake Judd just got caught selling awful Judas Iscariot bootlegs from his new label.

Didn't this also happen like two months ago? Did he start up another label?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

MrBling posted:

Didn't this also happen like two months ago? Did he start up another label?

It's the same label, I'm probably just a bit late on it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Friends Are Evil posted:

It's the same label, I'm probably just a bit late on it.

ah ok. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he had just started up a new fraud business right away.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

apparently Akhenaten went to the trouble of personally contacting metal archives people and telling them that every release after he stopped being involved is a bootleg :lol:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Henchman of Santa posted:

Seeing Godflesh as the last band of Bloodstock 2015 was the closest watching a band has come to a religious experience

So good

Fake edit: Speaking of Bloodstock the most likely headliners next year are Sabaton & Slayer which, ehhhhhhh

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Innumerable Forms is pretty cool https://innumerableforms.bandcamp.com/

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Did this year's Pungent Stench album get talked about here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjNFSjk3fbw

I'm only getting around to it now but it's pretty great. They still kill it with the groovy riffs.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hospital Productions made the merch for the Godflesh show and they have some on their site still, but Justin said they made pretty small numbers of them. I got two longsleeves at the show but might have to pick up a few more, they're just well designed and also on the Gildan soft style, which is so much better than that heavyweight Gildan that's more common.

https://hospitalproductions.net/search?q=godflesh%5C

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Snowy posted:

I just saw Godflesh play a loving amazing set and got to chill with him for five minutes or so!

Better than that, now I’m at a small afterparty in a little loft and justin and Benny just walked in, there’s going to be a JK Flesh set now!!!!

E- holy shiiiiiiiiiit

E2 don’t mind me

Wow, Justin looks... well... different. What do you make small chat about with Justin for 5 minutes? Any details on the JK Flesh afterparty? Columbian white? Asian hookers? Man bears in full bondage? Details!!!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow, Justin looks... well... different. What do you make small chat about with Justin for 5 minutes?

I got lucky, I heard some guy ask “hey Justin can I get a picture?” And I turn and I’m like oh poo poo he’s standing right next to me! Apart from my gushing which took a couple minutes, we talked about stuff like his Zonal project with Kevin Martin of The Bug, and how great it would be if they did a show where it was Justin and Kevin solo sets then Zonal, he said he’d love to make that happen in NYC too, they already did one show like that in London. He also got into how Godflesh and Obitiuary have been buds for ages, a mutual admiration society :v: I totally recommend talking to him if you get the chance, he was very friendly and down to hang out with everyone.

quote:

Any details on the JK Flesh afterparty?

It was in someone’s apartment, a small space in a Bushwick party loft warehouse building completely covered in graffiti, hallways, staircases, etc. I’d say there were maybe 50 people it was loving packed and hot as hell. Super chill environment, cheap drinks, friendly hosts. They were playing industrial/noise techno and some young lady did a pretty cool noise set. When Justin and Benny came in I just followed them squeezing all the way to the front. Got to talk to Benny for a sec, just enough to say thanks for all the music.

quote:

Columbian white?
Definitely a lot of weed but I’m some of them had something else going on. I just had a few mushrooms but the timing was perfect so the music and lights were just a little sweeter than usual.

quote:

Asian hookers? Man bears in full bondage? Details!!!
Speaking of Asians and man bears, there was a young Asian woman and a dude (both in skimpy outfits) going apeshit right up front and working it like they were in a krumping battle. She was great because she kept busting out a chinese fan (to the rhythm) which probably cooled 10 people around her.

I stuck to the front for Justin’s set, it was amazing to spend an hour and a half watching this dude I’ve been a fan of for over 25 years. He chugged Budweisers and played a great set of noisy glitchy electronic music, using a lot of effects and filters on his little controller. He finished around 3am.

mmm there’s nothing like the king of beers

After Boris Friday, then double dosing on Broadrick Saturday it was a pretty loving awesome weekend.

E- changed hound lady to young lady :v:

Snowy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 27, 2018

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Snowy posted:

He also got into how Godflesh and Obitiuary have been buds for ages, a mutual admiration society.

He chugged Budweisers and played a great set of noisy glitchy electronic music, using a lot of effects and filters on his little controller. He finished around 3am.

mmm there’s nothing like the king of beers

This makes some sense now.

Cool experience. Thanks for sharing it.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Slasher Dave from Acid Witch is coming out with another solo album in October:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui9LaPcoh_w

Horror movie style synth it sounds like. I dig it, but I was hoping for another Horrific album though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec_7_AYuxjA

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

tote up a bags posted:

Ulver's first 3 albums are pretty great and Kveldsanger is my goto chill out album.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The recommendation megathread's OP said to come here for metal recommendations, so here I am; feel free to deride me if I should go back there instead.

I'm looking for some stuff that's musically like Meshuggah or All That Remains but has more ...normal singing, for lack of a better term. I don't care for the screaming/whatever you want to call it that's super guttural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

hooah posted:

The recommendation megathread's OP said to come here for metal recommendations, so here I am; feel free to deride me if I should go back there instead.

I'm looking for some stuff that's musically like Meshuggah or All That Remains but has more ...normal singing, for lack of a better term. I don't care for the screaming/whatever you want to call it that's super guttural.

Periphery and TesseracT play Djent style Meshuggah with clean vocals.

https://youtu.be/get0cXOsSXg

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 29, 2018