Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I've never gotten why the fridge scene bugged people. It's the kind of pulpy poo poo that Indiana Jones is made of; it's so patently ridiculous, it's not worth getting upset about. Besides, that fridge was high grade lead, made in America in the 50s (Crystal Skull was 50s, right?), so it's a very solid, high quality piece of work.

I wouldn't say I get upset about it (he says, in one of the "post things you get worked up about" threads) but I still think it's kinda dumb.

Even as a kid I found the boat scene in Temple kinda dumb, I think it's just a different threshold for what sort of unrealistic shenanigans people will accept. The fridge is really two different unrealistic things - surviving the blast, and surviving being flung through the air and bouncing loads of times. Both are implausible, but the latter is visually implausible, which makes it worse

Also it's Indy 4, nobody is giving that movie a fair shake after all that build up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I can't really argue that the scene isn't dumb, but I think it's the kind of dumb you just roll with in a movie. I always liked the raft scene, mostly because it'd be awesome to ride a roller coaster based on that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How did the pilots in Temple of Doom know to crash their plane? Did Lao Che call ahead or was his wave on the tarmac all they needed to know? And if I'm recalling correctly on the map path for the plane they stop at a couple of cities. There was lots of opportunity to kill Indy in ways that didn't involve a plane or risking your neck jumping into a mountain wilderness with a circa 1930's era parachute.

The raft was the most plausible part of that storyline.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Krispy Wafer posted:

How did the pilots in Temple of Doom know to crash their plane? Did Lao Che call ahead or was his wave on the tarmac all they needed to know? And if I'm recalling correctly on the map path for the plane they stop at a couple of cities. There was lots of opportunity to kill Indy in ways that didn't involve a plane or risking your neck jumping into a mountain wilderness with a circa 1930's era parachute.

The raft was the most plausible part of that storyline.

poo poo Indy gets lowered into a chamber of lava with only a small hole at the top. Just being lifted over the hole at the top would have killed him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That was Willie not Indy. And she should have been charbroiled like the guy who went in before her.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The fridge scene is fine except for the cgi groundhog things. They were completely unnecessary and really pull you out of the movie. Much like the loving monkeys.
I can handle the ants though, and I actually kinda liked the jungle caravan and the motorcycle chase towards the beginning is fantastic. The movie has a lot going for it, it just has some really painfully bad stuff in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Indy 4 is a pretty decent movie right up until the dry sand pit. Then it starts to fall apart. But the area 51 stuff and the university chase and the tomb stuff is all fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

He actually gets in the U-Boat.

That was my assumption. Do people think he just like...held onto a submarine while it did sub things underwater? :psyduck:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
A giant rolling boulder? That's absurd.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Len posted:

That was my assumption. Do people think he just like...held onto a submarine while it did sub things underwater? :psyduck:

It was in the novelization. He tied himself to the periscope with his whip and was basically dragged along.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

So, face melting Arks, Holy Grails, a man having his heart pulled from his chest and it's still beating are all perfectly fine, but a flying fridge (that should have killed him, yes) is where you draw the line?

On a narrative level the specific properties of the grail and ark were established in advance, and behave in a way consistent with what the audience expects. If a large portion of the audience finds something jarring or nonsensical, there's a failure of communication on the part of the filmmaker. (For instance, panning over a sign on the side of the fridge saying that it was made of 100% recycled lead would change audience expectations for how slapstick the scene was supposed to be.)

quote:

a man having his heart pulled from his chest and it's still beating

That's how hearts actually work. The beating is self regulating to a large degree, and continues even after it's removed from the body.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

CannonFodder posted:

A giant rolling boulder? That's absurd.

Plus pneumatically powered arrows? Rubber disintegrates after 2-10 years if not maintained. The arrows from the wall should have had the same pathetic dribble as my cum.

Aphrodite posted:

PROVE IT!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Remulak posted:

Plus pneumatically powered arrows? Rubber disintegrates after 2-10 years if not maintained. The arrows from the wall should have had the same pathetic dribble as my cum.

PROVE IT!

The spike trap being triggered by someone stepping into a light beam always got me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aphrodite posted:

https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/4060/how-did-indiana-jones-manage-to-follow-marion-to-the-island

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Davros1 posted:

It was in the novelization. He tied himself to the periscope with his whip and was basically dragged along.

Well that's a silly thing to think because looking it up the periscope stayed above water the entire time so it wasn't like he held his breath and also apparently uboats at the time spent most of their time above water running on diesel engines.

So again people think he just like held his breath? :psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wasn’t filmed, it can be whatever I want.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seems like it was but whatever. He's not going to hide on a uboat though

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Seems like it was but whatever. He's not going to hide on a uboat though

Especially since he didn't get an uniform until they docked.

I don't think U-boats went underwater unless they had to since they were diesel and would otherwise need to run on battery power. Even during wartime more subs were probably sunk using radar than sonar. Still, I like the idea of him clinging to the periscope and only narrowly being missed by the guy scanning the scope.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

U-Boats don't travel with their periscope up or for extended periods underwater either so I guess we're at an impasse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's because they're worried about gas mileage

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tunicate posted:

That's how hearts actually work. The beating is self regulating to a large degree, and continues even after it's removed from the body.

:psyduck:

I didn't actually know that. I figured with the heart disconnected, it wouldn't do much of anything. Cool!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Krispy Wafer posted:

Especially since he didn't get an uniform until they docked.

I don't think U-boats went underwater unless they had to since they were diesel and would otherwise need to run on battery power. Even during wartime more subs were probably sunk using radar than sonar. Still, I like the idea of him clinging to the periscope and only narrowly being missed by the guy scanning the scope.

They traveled above the water on diesel most of the time. There would be someone at the top of the conning tower on watch the whole time. This was set when the U-Boats still commanded the seas. Before radar. Someone on watch would have seen him for sure. Plus, they do trim dives on a schedule so that they can crash dive when they have to. Of course it's nonsense.

But, it's Indiana Jones. If it was realistic, it would be really boring.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Technically U-boats are submersibles, which can dive but need to spend much of their time at the surface to recharge their batteries with diesel engines. Until they invented a Snorkel apparatus which allowed them to keep at least most of the sub underwater for as long as necessary. Also, batteries improved so they could dive for longer. So him hanging onto the periscope could allow him to be dragged along without drowning.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bar Crow posted:

Having the fridge fly through the air and bounce against the desert ruins it. Surviving an A-bomb blast is more believable that surviving an impact like that. Just have him emerge from the flaming wreckage of the fake town

...melted eyeballs running down his face. He may have been named after the dog, but now he's one of the alligator people.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Leavemywife posted:

I didn't actually know that. I figured with the heart disconnected, it wouldn't do much of anything. Cool!

I'm a commercial fisherman and see it all the time. Gut a halibut and see it's heart beating on the table, squirming away with its three chambers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

mostlygray posted:

They traveled above the water on diesel most of the time. There would be someone at the top of the conning tower on watch the whole time. This was set when the U-Boats still commanded the seas. Before radar. Someone on watch would have seen him for sure. Plus, they do trim dives on a schedule so that they can crash dive when they have to. Of course it's nonsense.

But, it's Indiana Jones. If it was realistic, it would be really boring.

It was also pre-war I'm 100% sure. That doesn't mean they didn't do it because, hey, practice, but if they submerged it was probably so they could sneak into the sub pen without being shadowed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's because they're worried about gas mileage

Probably a good idea to keep a charge on the batteries vs. using them all the time and then popping up for fresh air and being stuck that way.

Plus everybody smoked back then and drat that would suck.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Actually, it's Frankenstein's Monster.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Also, according to the film, if the original host bursts into flames, then the separated heart will too!

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

CASE CLOSED.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't see what that time traveling Demetri Martin comic is supposed to prove.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
The Matrix was written by two trans women and is a metaphor for gender transition. At the time of it's writing and release, the primary prescribed Estrogen for feminizing hormone replacement therapy looked like this:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's pink.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I thought it was about computer dudes doing sweet flips and whatnot. Though that does make an interesting comparison as everyone’s favorite dick pill is colloquially referred to as “the little blue pill”.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Warbird posted:

I thought it was about computer dudes doing sweet flips and whatnot. Though that does make an interesting comparison as everyone’s favorite dick pill is colloquially referred to as “the little blue pill”.

Nope, trans coming out allegory. Additionally Smith, the literal avatar of "the system", always deadnames him by calling him the name he was assigned at birth, instead of the real name he chose for himself.

vvv That too vvv

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Aug 29, 2018

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Switch was supposed to change genders inside / outside the Matrix.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Nope, trans coming out allegory. Additionally Smith, the literal avatar of "the system", always deadnames him by calling him the name he was assigned at birth, instead of the real name he chose for himself.
So anyone who chooses not to transition (i.e. cisgendered) is ignorant/dumb?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

With a lot of emphasis and relish on the Mister Anderson, no less.

(No idea how true/intentional any of this is but it's plausible and interesting.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Matrix was written by two trans women
Actually now that you mention it, what do all the idiot redpill MRAs have to say about that?