Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
They have Elezen models, but are basically Hyurs.

Also, I finally got WHM to 70. I feel like so much of that conflict could have been avoided with just a bit more common sense. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, my mind was blown when I realized that Gaius is an elf (or at least I'm pretty sure he is, since his posture is like that of elves). Same goes for Livia, though it was made explicit in her case.
He's a garlean, they don't all use the same models but some of them are bigger than hyur. You can tell if they have a little eye piece on their headgear for their third eye, even Cid has one build into his perma-/visored goggles.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, my mind was blown when I realized that Gaius is an elf (or at least I'm pretty sure he is, since his posture is like that of elves). Same goes for Livia, though it was made explicit in her case.

Speaking of Livia, if I'm understanding her backstory correctly she apparently fell in love with her adoptive father? Between that and all the murder, she was pretty hosed up. The other dude with the shield arms seemed more chill.

Garleans are a separate species. They just happen to use elezen models as a base in game because its easier than making a new skeleton for them.

And yeah, Livia is messed up.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Natural born Garleans use the Elezen skeletal structure but are a different race.

Livia's relationship with Gaius is pretty creepy but the short story is yes: she's his adopted daughter and fell in love with him. He's totally fine with that even though it seems to be a one-way relationship emotionally.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Holy poo poo, I finally finished leveling my chocobo companion (named Pazuzu, of course) to rank 20.

Definitely do it, guys, it's totally worth it! it's a big dumb pointless waste of time

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Livia, if I'm understanding her backstory correctly she apparently fell in love with her adoptive father? Between that and all the murder, she was pretty hosed up. The other dude with the shield arms seemed more chill.

Garleans use Elezen giraffe models with Hyur heads.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

World War Mammories posted:

excuse me the proper middle name for the emperor is "zos" you plebe!!!!!

gently caress, you're right

Sorry, everyone!

SORRY!!! :negative:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Livia "Sassy" Junebug is a messed-up incest freak and heck, I like it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Martman posted:

Holy poo poo, I finally finished leveling my chocobo companion (named Pazuzu, of course) to rank 20.

Definitely do it, guys, it's totally worth it! it's a big dumb pointless waste of time

And I assume your racing chocobo is rank 300 then? Or if not you better get to work!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

And I assume your racing chocobo is rank 300 then? Or if not you better get to work!
You know it; my racing bird Brian is inbred to perfection.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I was very sad on learning that breeding chocobos required me to race chocobos.

I was also a moisture farmer in Star Wars Galaxy why do you ask.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

And I assume your racing chocobo is rank 300 then? Or if not you better get to wark!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You can come over to my house and clean my bird's stable if you want the full chocosperience. Last time it was cleaned was uh, when they opened up Shirogane and I moved (so never).

Must bring own broom

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I'm pretty sure chocobos smell bad anyways so likely nobody can even tell if you never clean the stable

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure chocobos smell bad anyways so likely nobody can even tell if you never clean the stable

The chocobo can tell, and they will get less EXP each feeding.

You don't want to see animals live in squalor, right?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I did Aurum Vale with a Japanese party. The tank was new (we wiped once on the first boss, and to the next pack of trash), and kept asking for directions for every fight. It was kind of charming, though I think I spent an hour doing it. I'm at SCH level 49 and I hope to reach 50 today.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I did Great Gubal Library as a WHM for the first time with a Tank who waited until the first boss to use Tank stance, did not use Flash, and refused to talk in chat.

He also refused to avoid getting hit by Heavy on the first boss, getting less than four vuln stacks on the third boss, or standing still/nearby me while tanking bosses as opposed to running around like a headless chicken.

Being a Healer main must be the worst kind of hell.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

I did Aurum Vale with a Japanese party. The tank was new (we wiped once on the first boss, and to the next pack of trash), and kept asking for directions for every fight. It was kind of charming, though I think I spent an hour doing it. I'm at SCH level 49 and I hope to reach 50 today.

I'd much rather spend an hour guiding someone through the Vale than constantly wiping silently.

You're almost done with the MSQ! Then the grind really begins. (You've got a bunch of quests between you and Heavensward, then it's relatively smooth sailing.)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I'd much rather spend an hour guiding someone through the Vale than constantly wiping silently.

You're almost done with the MSQ! Then the grind really begins. (You've got a bunch of quests between you and Heavensward, then it's relatively smooth sailing.)

Yeah I have a very basic understanding of the language and could kinda see that the RDM was giving them directions. And the tank was very polite and courteous. I kind of want to study again (I barely passed the JLPT N4 3 years ago).

Also I'm on The Ruby Sea in MSQ right now, I'm just leveling another job so that I wouldn't waste the MSQ exp rewards (I also don't have a DPS at level 60).

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I did Great Gubal Library as a WHM for the first time with a Tank who waited until the first boss to use Tank stance, did not use Flash, and refused to talk in chat.

He also refused to avoid getting hit by Heavy on the first boss, getting less than four vuln stacks on the third boss, or standing still/nearby me while tanking bosses as opposed to running around like a headless chicken.

Being a Healer main must be the worst kind of hell.

Healers that only cast medica. Nothing else. No protect, no cure, no regen, only medica. This is the hell I enter when I play tank.
Tanks that run in circles fighting mobs and don't use flash or unleash or overpower. The hell when I try to play monk.
Almost every dps and half the tanks I encounter. My hell when playing my main of Scholar. Just.....Just dodge......anything. Please. Or at LEAST don't actively run into the damaging areas when they aren't even targeting you.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chaeden posted:

Healers that only cast medica. Nothing else. No protect, no cure, no regen, only medica. This is the hell I enter when I play tank.

This is... just madness.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So the Rising Poem this year....

quote:

O hero of rebirth traversing,
Soar you the azure skies.
Upon your breast a crimson crest,
Shine Light down from on high.

O hero of rebirth transcending,
Weave you an azure lie.
By your deeds doth crimson bleed,
And Darkness quench the fire.

In Japanese it is....

quote:

新生を越えし 英雄よ 蒼天の旅路 巡りて

紅蓮の戦乱 勝利を胸に 世界へ光をもたらさん

新生を超えし 英雄よ 蒼天の神話 偽りて

紅蓮の反乱 敗北を胸に 世界へ闇をもたらさん

The direct translation (via reddit poster) is:

quote:

Champions who overcame the rebirth, travel through the Azure
With victory in their hearts from the Crimson War, bring Light to the world

Champions who surpassed the rebirth, fraud the Azure mythos
With defeat in their hearts from the Crimson Rebellion, bring Darkness to the world

But more thoughts (also via another reddit poster):

quote:

I think the song can be read as opposing two different "Heroes of Rebirth".

O hero of rebirth traversing,♪ Soar you the azure skies.♪ Upon your breast a crimson crest,♪ Shine Light down from on high.♪

This line could refer to the heroic deeds of the Warrior of Light, his adventure in ARR (Hero of Rebirth), his part in the Dragonsong war (Soaring the Azure skies), and his role as a key figure of the Mhigan and Doman revolutions (bearing a crimson crest), and perhaps hints at us going into the next expansion as a bringer of Light (shining light on the forces of darkness)

O hero of rebirth transcending,♪ Weave you an azure lie.♪ By your deeds doth crimson bleed,♪ And Darkness quench the fire.♪

This line seems to refer to the evil deeds accomplished by the Ascians : they helped Thordan maintain the lie behind the Dragonsong war (weaving the azure lie) , they indirectly caused the conflicts in Gyr Abania using the Griffin as a puppet (and so by their deeds, did crimson bleed), and will attempt to quench the fires of rebellion under their terrifying might in the next expansion.

​The first hero of rebirth is the reborn Warrior of Light, the second hero of rebirth are the Ascians. After all, both sides in the war eternal between Light and Darkness can be seen as heroes, since if either falls, the world will come to its demise (like the WoD's world did)

Also, the Warrior of Light is the "Traversing" hero, because he accepted and played his role in the rebirth of the world, while the Ascians are the Transcending heroes, because they have gone beyond rebirth, being fully immortal (well, mostly).

Also

quote:

There's speculation from the Japanese community that perhaps there's a parallel universe where Nanamo was assassinated, Ishgard went awry, where Doma and Ala Migo campaign ended up in failure - a world with the alter ego of the Warrior of Light.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 29, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Why is there crystal music playing in Limsa Lominsa?

It would have been funny if, in the 56 Samurai quest, Mumosai just decapitated the lalafel guy on the spot after he admitted to being a criminal.

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah I have a very basic understanding of the language and could kinda see that the RDM was giving them directions. And the tank was very polite and courteous. I kind of want to study again (I barely passed the JLPT N4 3 years ago).

I remember there being JP players on servers with the English-speaking players back when I played FFXI when it was released, and they had a reputation for being really friendly and polite (FFXI had this whole system for communicating across language barriers; maybe FFXIV has it as well, but it's obviously not needed as much in that case).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

My dude, please link the real version.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It would have been funny if, in the 56 Samurai quest, Mumosai just decapitated the lalafel guy on the spot after he admitted to being a criminal.

Is that not what happened?

Edit: Oh, you mean the Lalafell that follows you, not the bald serial killer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is that not what happened?

Edit: Oh, you mean the Lalafell that follows you, not the bald serial killer.

The quest with the bald weeaboo serial killer lalafel was great. He had this whole pirate ship full of Japanese poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also from the most recent short story:

quote:

Thus did Estinien’s journey come to an end─a journey which had seen him revisit the past and in so doing find a future. His lifelong battle having reached its true conclusion, he could finally begin anew. None can say whither his road will lead, whether the skies that greet him will be the striking blue of day, the blazing crimson of dusk, or the deepening black of twilight.

And they trademarked Shadowbringers.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Ytlaya posted:

I remember there being JP players on servers with the English-speaking players back when I played FFXI when it was released, and they had a reputation for being really friendly and polite (FFXI had this whole system for communicating across language barriers; maybe FFXIV has it as well, but it's obviously not needed as much in that case).

The music is for the rising event. And yeah, JP players tended to be pretty friendly in XI. XIV has auto translate too, but as you said, not as much need for it.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I hate when people are silent the entire run and then beeline for the exit the instant it's over like drat dudes at least let me spray some celebration booze first

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

g0lbez posted:

I hate when people are silent the entire run and then beeline for the exit the instant it's over like drat dudes at least let me spray some celebration booze first

I give people commends firstly on whether they actually talk or not, because even if a dungeon runs slower it's far more enjoyable to me if people actually try to communicate some things here and there. Make it so this run isn't a forgettable dungeon like 90% of the runs I have to deal with. It's an online game for chrissakes.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

lol if you interact with people in an mmo

just lol

real gamers never even use the chat box and just complain about "loving pubbies" to themselves all the time

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Marketboard is interaction enough imo

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

lol if you interact with people in an mmo

just lol

real gamers never even use the chat box and just complain about "loving pubbies" to themselves all the time

Chickenwing stop channeling draconicblade tia.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The Grimace posted:

I give people commends firstly on whether they actually talk or not, because even if a dungeon runs slower it's far more enjoyable to me if people actually try to communicate some things here and there. Make it so this run isn't a forgettable dungeon like 90% of the runs I have to deal with. It's an online game for chrissakes.

Yeah, I'm not a chatty person by nature but I at least try to always throw out a "hi", "thanks", and "pls kill adds ffs" for most runs.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
[I appear to have misplaced my keyboard.] [Please don't attack.]

I then just use emote macros. :v:

Should probably plug a keyboard in.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
My buddy and I play a lot of dungeons together where I queue as tank and he does healer, so both roles that are great for getting commendations. I always throw out a hello at the start of the dungeon and a "thanks all, great run" at the end while he says nothing. I've got like 4x the number of commendations he does. So if you want the commendation items, make sure you say something at the end of the run!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I give one [Hellfrog Medium] at the beginning of a dungeon and one [I had fun today!] at the end. The rest of the time I'm mashing buttons so the dungeon ends faster

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Give your commendation to whichever dps used cooldowns during trash instead of just saving them for bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I play on PS4, so by the time I could start friendly conversation, we're at the first boss. So personally I like it when nobody says anything and we just get out of Toto-Rak as quickly as possible.