Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Jabor posted:

It seems like the obvious choice is to have multiple coolant shot pilots, that you rotate through that single mech?

Functionally identical to just saying that your overheating PPC boat is actually just run on human batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Coolant Shot is an incredible offensive/defensive ability, so I don't get all the whining over taking injuries; past the early game your mechwarrior medbay downtime is normally irrelevant as you can simply rotate them or heal them off completely between systems, and you should be fielding a full suite of cockpit resist mods.

You don't even need to theorycraft a particularly hot mech, since good designs already both pack jump jets and hit their overheat threshold after 4-5 alphas on a neutral map, to which the ability to insta-vent without ceasing to fire and/or jump just slots right the gently caress in.

Interestingly, and fittingly for the Guts tree, what CS does allow is giving more of an use case to ballistic weapons - their usual problem of having less tonnage devoted to heatsinks compared to same-tonnage-use laser loadouts, meaning they vent less heat during 'cooling off' turns, is eliminated when your cooling off turn has a rate independent of heatsink tonnage.

It's also going to make Guts AIs more dangerous and give players a realistic shot of killing the meat in them, which is normally too beefy to avoid elimination through injuries.

All of these ability changes are good and the only thing I'm sad of seeing gone is the one use case of Juggernaut: Sumo in a light/medium loving with enemy initiative in skirms.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 28, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I started a new campaign, no mods, and got up thru Weldry. These changes make the game more deadly. Add in the change of morale to resolve it feels like you get more turns of vigilance / called shot during a match on top of it all. I couldn’t really tell last night but I don’t believe the game stacks sensor interference after 1 stack of each from sensors lock and ppc

I’m going to need to get to later in the game but so far nothing seems outright broken.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm excited as hell for coolant flush because if there's one thing I love, it's laser boats. Behemoth better hold her breath because she's going for a dive.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'm excited as hell for coolant flush because if there's one thing I love, it's laser boats. Behemoth better hold her breath because she's going for a dive.

It reminds me of that Cyberstorm game where you could shoot up your pilots with drugs, and that's a good thing.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

And Tyler Too! posted:

In my last playthrough I ended up with a strategy of max-armored mid-range brawlers that usually went alpha strike, sprint, melee. Using coolant flush I could go alpha strike, alpha strike, melee, which would be even better. Definitely going to have to give that a shot.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Coolant Flush might actually kinda support making crazy bracket builds because you can afford to alpha all your poo poo at once and you don't effectively have half of your tonnage wasted on weapons you don't use most of the time

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

Coolant Flush might actually kinda support making crazy bracket builds because you can afford to alpha all your poo poo at once and you don't effectively have half of your tonnage wasted on weapons you don't use most of the time

Or, you could just pack less heatsinks and more brawling weapons.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

"Heatsinks are for quitters!" shouts Glitch, wading into battle in her pentuple PPC Battlemaster, aptly named the Tea Kettle. A lone Cicada wanders into her sights...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The perk changes for Bulwark reference a "Defensive Push". What is that?

quote:

Bulwark no longer gives you the Guarded state for free when you don’t move. Instead, it makes the Guarded state far, far more powerful. You still need to Brace (or use Defensive Push) to get Guarded, but once you have it, you’ll be extremely difficult to damage.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It allows you to move forward and take very little damage. Hence being a defensive push?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh are they just renaming it to that? I haven't played the beta yet.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Defensive Push = Vigilance?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Coolant Shot is an incredible offensive/defensive ability, so I don't get all the whining over taking injuries; past the early game your mechwarrior medbay downtime is normally irrelevant as you can simply rotate them or heal them off completely between systems, and you should be fielding a full suite of cockpit resist mods.
That's kind of what I mean: relatively early, it comes with a huge cost, and late its mostly negligible.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Defensive Push = Vigilance?

Yes. In the files, Precision Strike and Vigilance are called "offensive/defensive push"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, Defensive Push is a much more descriptive name for Vigilance.

Also, Bulwark just makes the Brace action super-strong now rather than being a free brace if you stand still.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

So, for the coolant ability, it flushes all my heat for the pilot with the best heat tolerance? I'm never going to use that unless I ride in mechs that are purposefully super heat inefficient. Sounds like yet another tier 2 skill that has very limited use. Why not let guts do something like avoid injury from knockdown or cockpit hits or something?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rocketrobot posted:

So, for the coolant ability, it flushes all my heat for the pilot with the best heat tolerance? I'm never going to use that unless I ride in mechs that are purposefully super heat inefficient. Sounds like yet another tier 2 skill that has very limited use. Why not let guts do something like avoid injury from knockdown or cockpit hits or something?
Because that would lower potential hospital time instead of directly increasing it or the risk for it. Can't have that.

Even ignoring the mechanical balance views. Holy poo poo, they put in a goddamned "Torture your pilots" button :stare:

"You missed your called headshot, Glitch. That 17% heat is looking pretty high" "No no no not the coolant I'll do better next time" :gonk:

But it's fine you can just rotate in another pilot, who cares right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 29, 2018

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Section Z posted:

Because that would lower potential hospital time instead of directly increasing it or the risk for it. Can't have that.

Even ignoring the mechanical balance views. Holy poo poo, they put in a goddamned "Torture your pilots" button :stare:

Honestly, piloting is the melee skill. Get ace pilot out of that tree and put it in tactics (with a new name) where it belongs. Then put the master tactician skill in piloting (with a new name or call it ... ace pilot) since melee pilots need to have more initiative flexibility to avoid getting dogpiled and make the 2nd level of guts let you do something a tough guy would do, like fire an AC without the recoil penalty or use vigilance at half the cost or DFA for half self-damage or SOMETHING ACTUALLY USEFUL. /rant

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 29, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rocketrobot posted:

Honestly, piloting is the melee skill. Get ace pilot out of that tree and put it in tactics (with a new name) where it belongs. Then put the master tactician skill in piloting (with a new name or call it ... ace pilot) since melee pilots need to have more initiative flexibility to avoid getting dogpiled and make the 2nd level of guts let you do something a tough guy would do, like fire an AC without the recoil penalty or use vigilance at half the cost or DFA for half self-damage or SOMETHING ACTUALLY USEFUL. /rant
Again... That would lower risk of hospital time, can't have that. (Guts removes recoil penalty entirely at 8 guts as a passive anyways. Or did I not notice them gutting that?).

Seriously all the revisions, no matter the sales pitch, at the end of the day are here increase the odds of the player get nickle and dimed more often if they try to use them as advertised. Padding out the gameplay sold as an improvement.

"Don't worry, you can fire more often and speed up fights! Pay no attention to the hospital time, cockpit reinforcement loss, and horrified screams"

"Don't worry, Bullkwark is EVEN BETTER! Pay no attention to the fact the AI will prioritize the rest of your squad to death even if you bother to brace with it."

"Don't worry, SOMETIMES you will get a stability bonus! Pay no attention to getting hit more often after using jump jets and the pip loss on your atlas sprinting"

The solution to all of those problems claimed to encourage mobility and not standing around like a turret?... Stand around like a turret at a safe distance from both weapons an AI logic. Stand around in tree lines all day. Etc. Because mobility or any incentive to brawl is where the pain is.

I'm baffled at the irony of changes touted to "Keep me moving" are instead, encouraging me to move to the stagnant firing platform meta claimed that this is supposed to punish. As highlighted by my token sniper or LRM boats I brought being the only ones playing EXACTLY like they did before the patch.

My LRM boats got shot at even LESS now, because I still like to bring them into visual range to be on call for Mlaser surgery and the like. Where the old build would take more potshots when they were a favorable numbers target compared to my Old Bulkwar/Old Evasion+Ace Pilot front liners. Part of why I favored "Catapult, but bigger" designs rather than paper armor.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 29, 2018

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Everybody already knows what the fix for juggernaut was: brace on melee attack (keep init -1 because why the hell not ... or don't doesn't matter). There's a mod for it. EVERYONE knows it. Hell, it even works with their whole "encourage movement" philosophy. Why is this so hard for them?

Also, why take the two most useful slot 5 skills and change them? Sure, bulwark may have been OP, but why change it into something completely different? Why not make it so that you get, when standing still, cover/entrenched in open ground and guarded/entrenched in cover? For evasive movement, why not make it like ~25-33% (minimum +1) evasion pips (would get an extra pip or two with fast lights/meds, while heavies/assaults remain mostly unchanged). Why not do something to multi-targeting to make it useful without breaching shot?

Also, why do people keep thinking that coolant that isn't a piece of equipment is a good idea? I loved MW4, but the worst thing it ever did to the MW/BT franchise was introduce coolant as something that doesn't take up slots/tons. Its just a stupid get out of jail free card that the game isn't balanced around. I don't know what its going to screw up, but it will screw something up.

Sorry, just ranting because I can't play BATTLETECH because the new patch screwed up amechwarriors AI mod!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Section Z posted:

Again... That would lower risk of hospital time, can't have that. (Guts removes recoil penalty entirely at 8 guts as a passive anyways. Or did I not notice them gutting that?).

No, I just forgot about it.

Hospital times are plenty long.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wonder how many major updates it's going to take before we get branching skill trees with multiple options per main Gunnery/Piloting/Skills/Tactics trunk.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
I haven't played the game since the initial release, can you customise the paint on an individual mech yet?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

RabidWeasel posted:

This. I see a lot of comments about it being useless because people try to run heat neutral builds. Which is fine, it means its not a skill you use. I feel the same about the shoot then move skill.

For someone like me, who answers all problems with 'use more gun', modifies Black Knights and Swaybacks with less heatsinks and more lasers/armour, and runs everything right at the redline? :getin:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Section Z posted:

Seriously all the revisions, no matter the sales pitch, at the end of the day are here increase the odds of the player get nickle and dimed more often if they try to use them as advertised. Padding out the gameplay sold as an improvement.

"Don't worry, you can fire more often and speed up fights! Pay no attention to the hospital time, cockpit reinforcement loss, and horrified screams"

"Don't worry, Bullkwark is EVEN BETTER! Pay no attention to the fact the AI will prioritize the rest of your squad to death even if you bother to brace with it."

"Don't worry, SOMETIMES you will get a stability bonus! Pay no attention to getting hit more often after using jump jets and the pip loss on your atlas sprinting"

The solution to all of those problems claimed to encourage mobility and not standing around like a turret?... Stand around like a turret at a safe distance from both weapons an AI logic. Stand around in tree lines all day. Etc. Because mobility or any incentive to brawl is where the pain is.

I'm baffled at the irony of changes touted to "Keep me moving" are instead, encouraging me to move to the stagnant firing platform meta claimed that this is supposed to punish. As highlighted by my token sniper or LRM boats I brought being the only ones playing EXACTLY like they did before the patch.

My LRM boats got shot at even LESS now, because I still like to bring them into visual range to be on call for Mlaser surgery and the like. Where the old build would take more potshots when they were a favorable numbers target compared to my Old Bulkwar/Old Evasion+Ace Pilot front liners. Part of why I favored "Catapult, but bigger" designs rather than paper armor.

You are drawing an awful lot of conclusions from two days and a handful of games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rygar201 posted:

You are drawing an awful lot of conclusions from two days and a handful of games.

Well I couldn't just "theorycraft" it.

Then I tried it and... No, no. Clearly boiling glitch alive like a creeper must be given more chances.

Get back in the grasshopper glitch! We'll make you like it after a few more missions.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 29, 2018

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Section Z posted:

Then I tried it and... No, no. Clearly boiling glitch alive like a creeper must be given more chances.

Get back in the grasshopper glitch! We'll make you like it after a few more missions.

You're being way more creepy about this than the game is. There's nothing inherently wrong with a skill that has you use pilot hp as a resource you can manage. Pilots being cheap and disposable is a big part of battletech and nobody is going to be "punishing" their pilots by speccing them into this instead of a better option just so they can flush it at 14 heat.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It sounds like the medbay time thing is more to solve the problem where no one ever needs even close to 18 mechwarriors or over six or so by the end of the game and less for you to jerk off to but that's just me

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I will be using mercs like teabags, dunking them into boiling mech juice and serving my enemies laser tea.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Just watched a Stalker pop coolant on a shot they used to knock Glitch's Grasshopper down as the AI mostly focused on it. Further irony in that I used vigilance and brace to fall back intending to avoid a knockdown.

"Oh, so they will be smart about heat now-"

and then their Banshee partner deliberately overheats themselves into shutdown just to take a swing at Glitch's grasshopper said Stalker knocked down. :eng99:

I guess I was wrong about "AI will ignore braced+Vigilance targets" if their alternative target is a Highlander standing in some trees just short of unsteady :v:

EDIT: Backtracked a save, and this Banshee is just really, REALLY desperate to burn itself to death even against standing targets. It's a Tundra Biome too so they should be having an easy time of it.

Bonus: "Let's see how they treat the fight fresh....I've never seen a King Crab basic overheat itself at all before now-and here comes the banshee with another self BBQ. At least it didn't shut down this time."

Clearly, it will back off rather than take another shot for overheat-Oh the King Crab bumped itself into overheat, again. This is... bizarre. and the Banshee cooked itself into shutdown again :psyduck: what is happening.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 29, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It sounds like the medbay time thing is more to solve the problem where no one ever needs even close to 18 mechwarriors or over six or so by the end of the game and less for you to jerk off to but that's just me

I wish they'd smooth out the progression a bit though so the early game isn't quite so punishing if your cockpit gets winged and late game you give zero fucks.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Paingod556 posted:

This. I see a lot of comments about it being useless because people try to run heat neutral builds. Which is fine, it means its not a skill you use.

Heat neutral builds are objectively bad.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Section Z posted:

Seems to me that 'in reality' the Mechwarriors are piloting and making these choices themselves so really it's Glitch being a sadist and mashing the button like :f5h::kingsley:

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

After messing around with it a bit....I'm not really using coolant flush at all in favor of bulwark. Generally when I'm making a choice to be nigh on invulnerable for a turn and clear any stability damage to sink heat, or cause myself a pilot injury I'm just bracing in the trees. And because I had an entire squad of bulwark pilots already I can just have the entire squad do it all at once and not really lose anything because they don't really take any damage. And this is with a lance with a black knight that can overheat itself to shut down in one alpha. I'm still just not seeing many reasons to pick coolant flush over master tactician but it's better than juggernaut was.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Nu-wark is basically a super Brace ability. So standing still and shooting gives no bonus, its either shoot or be invulnerable

I hate to say this but: good. Bulwark and knockdown made late game kinda dull.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Erd posted:

I haven't played the game since the initial release, can you customise the paint on an individual mech yet?
You've been able to do this since release? Or are we thinking different things?

Rygar201 posted:

Its Section Z, he's insane.

imweasel09 posted:

You're being way more creepy about this than the game is.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You've been able to do this since release? Or are we thinking different things?

I know you can change the pattern, I was asking if you can set different colours for different units? Bad wording on my part.

You also can't seem to give the player character a custom portrait yet either. Why they bothered with a customisation system and then gave all the major characters painted portraits anyway always confused me. Whither consistency?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to being told I'm worrying about nothing only for Subnautica to launch with "Internet Kraken clips through the ending cutscene and dies, good job Ironman mode" grade bugs anyways.

Come to think of it, that game also introduced "No, no. Burning yourself is a FEATURE!" :v: Though HBS Btech is a much more solid product to be fair.

Man, remember pre launch and "Light mechs will become useless in the all assaults late game" was just 'crazy talk'? I'd have much preferred it to have been crazy talk :sigh:. Would have saved the thread about a hundred posts of people wracking their brains trying to make lights useful in the endgame .

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I think most of that statement was directed at your few posts that made you come across as having a really unfortunate obsession with forcing one character in particular to experience large amounts of pain so you could hear her scream.

They were, in fact, creepy, and they made you look insane.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2018