Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

How about cards that can begin the game already in your graveyard?

Graveborn X (You may begin the game with this card in your graveyard. If you do, your starting life total is reduced by X.)

look at me, i'm R&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The problem with abilities like that is that they make games play out very similarly (unless they are all completely unplayable, in which case what's the point?).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vanq_Wu1GKc

There are some insanely bad takes in this

I was really on board with this video until "It is straight-up revisionist history to call Innistrad-RTR standard good" and "any standard format with thoughtseize is pretty much exempt from being good". This guy can get right hosed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-u-w-control-53624#paper

This Modern U/W control list running all of the Gideons that took 1st really intrigues me. I'm pretty sure that Jace in it is a type and is supposed to be the good one.
It also runs 0 terminus.

Jace, Architect of Thought has seen play in Modern before. There are decks that just really want the FoF effect.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ShadeofBlue posted:

The problem with abilities like that is that they make games play out very similarly (unless they are all completely unplayable, in which case what's the point?).

Yeah there was a CCG (on the edge maybe?) where you got to pick your starting hand and it sucked.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Magi-Nation had you start with specific cards in your opener, depending on which character you ran. I barely played it, so I can’t confirm that it sucked, but the game didn’t last long. The GBC game was sweet though.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

C-Euro posted:

Threshold owns and I don't understand why it's so high on the Storm scale in that article. Feelbads from having threshold and then losing it in some way? Keeping track of whether or not it's active? Issues with how easy it is to fill your graveyard these days?

Lone Goat posted:

Constant counting of graveyards, static abilities shutting on and off as cards leave.

I feel like if they brought Threshold back they would do it like Ascend, where once you hit it with one of the appropriate cards out/cast you had it for the rest of the game.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
does the belgium ban on lootboxes apply to magic cards, which are made there

it SHOULD

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Entropic posted:

I thought I was the only one who liked skulk. I thought it would end up being an evergreen mechanic for dimir like menace ended up being for gruul.

Apparently skulk has smaller design space than they thought it would have at first. At least that is what Maro has claimed in his blog.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Shortest Path posted:

I was really on board with this video until "It is straight-up revisionist history to call Innistrad-RTR standard good" and "any standard format with thoughtseize is pretty much exempt from being good". This guy can get right hosed.

I also like how these statements have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the video but he still needs to devote a minute to throwing a temper tantrum over people liking Inn-Rtr more than his personal favorite of Kam-Rav. Plus he never articulates why Kam-Rav was good and just points out some mildly annoying archetypes in Inn-Rtr and expects his audience to nod along like sheep.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

How is Graft an 8? It is simple and not nearly overpowered enough. And would probably go great with all the Merfolk counter shenanigans from Ixalan.

It was pretty unpopular, apparently. I'm guessing because it's zero-sum. Similar mechanics they've done since then like Evolve give you a net increase in power. There wasn't a great payoff to it unless you happened to get a bunch of Cytoplast Root-kin or Doubling Season or something. It doesn't help the guys with Graft were pretty underwhelming. Five mana for a 3/3 that can fly for even more mana. Or it can make others fly if I move counters. Wow.

Just looking up graft cards made it pretty clear why the mechanic wasn't that great, holy cow.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

So im trying to plan out flights and poo poo for a gp im planning on going to, and i cant find a straight answer online for when the main event ends on sunday.

My flight looks like its taking off at 9:24pm and if I have to chose between playing out the finals (massive assumption I get there but still) and getting back in time for work monday then I probably wont go at all.

Its GP Atlanta btw.

Generally Swiss rounds end around 3-4. You should easily make your 9:24 flight. If you make the actual finals and it’d been straight untimed UW control mirrors to get there, it might be tight. I generally plan so that I have enough time assuming I don’t make top 8, then I’ll rebook if I do (hasn’t hurt me yet, although I did have to concede the quarterfinals of an SCG Classic once to make my flight).

Atlanta is a big airport though, so having TSA Pre/Clear etc will help quite a bit if you’re cutting it close due to making the finals.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just looking up graft cards made it pretty clear why the mechanic wasn't that great, holy cow.

Should focus more on the island of doctor Moreau aspect.

Is this where I say host would be cool as gently caress for Simic

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

I also like how these statements have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the video but he still needs to devote a minute to throwing a temper tantrum over people liking Inn-Rtr more than his personal favorite of Kam-Rav. Plus he never articulates why Kam-Rav was good and just points out some mildly annoying archetypes in Inn-Rtr and expects his audience to nod along like sheep.

I haven't watched this video but even though Kam-Rav was also good, Eminent Domain was definitely an annoying archetype

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

I mean hes not wrong that Kami-Rav is among the best standards of all time

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Shortest Path posted:

I mean hes not wrong that Kami-Rav is among the best standards of all time

I should be clear that I take no issue with that, Im more taking issue with his characterization of inn-rtr

DurdleDuck posted:

Generally Swiss rounds end around 3-4. You should easily make your 9:24 flight. If you make the actual finals and it’d been straight untimed UW control mirrors to get there, it might be tight. I generally plan so that I have enough time assuming I don’t make top 8, then I’ll rebook if I do (hasn’t hurt me yet, although I did have to concede the quarterfinals of an SCG Classic once to make my flight).

Atlanta is a big airport though, so having TSA Pre/Clear etc will help quite a bit if you’re cutting it close due to making the finals.

Thanks for the help, im gonna look into precheck options and plan accordingly. Of course im also planning to take UW Control there as well so lol.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

whydirt posted:

Apparently skulk has smaller design space than they thought it would have at first. At least that is what Maro has claimed in his blog.

I mean, it's really just one of four things-

-Otherwise vanilla creature with Skulk
-French Vanilla creature with Skulk and another keyword that works with it (ie, not Trample)
-Skulk creature that does something when actually blocked
-Skulk creature that does something when dealing combat damage to an opponent (since Skulk is an evasion mechanic)

I guess there's a fifth

-Character that has Skulk and does a thing that's otherwise completely unrelated to Skulk.

It's an evasion keyword, and it has the design space of... an evasion keyword. Hell, maybe the most 'fair' evasion keyword ever printed. They could reprint everything they ever though was interesting enough to put Fear or Intimidate onto besides anything that cared about big power, and there's a bit of play in Skulk that, say, Fear never had (specificlly, pumping your opponent's power to get your dude through unblocked, something that DID win me a couple games in SoI Limited) but it's at the tradeoff of that anything with more then, like, 3 power with Skulk starts to look kind of stupid. They could Evergreen it and I'd only be given pause simply because it'd take a lot for a Skulk creature to ever be constructed-relevant entirely due to the built-in subclause of 'is small' but I'd be shocked if it came back as a set mechanic again.

It was pretty unpopular, apparently. I'm guessing because it's zero-sum. Similar mechanics they've done since then like Evolve give you a net increase in power. There wasn't a great payoff to it unless you happened to get a bunch of Cytoplast Root-kin or Doubling Season or something. It doesn't help the guys with Graft were pretty underwhelming. Five mana for a 3/3 that can fly for even more mana. Or it can make others fly if I move counters. Wow.

Graft isn't a bad mechanic but it naturally doesn't lend itself to much since it basically involves making new stuff more powerful at the cost of an existing thing, and while there's design space to play it, it's both dangerous (think of a Graft deck in the same standard as Vine Mare and Carnage Tyrant and despair) and very hard not to do without overcosting the graft creature (because it's technically UNDERCOSTING the next creature or two that gets graft counters dumped on them.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There's a land in time spiral block (prob future sight but not sure) that has graft and I think that might actually be the most powerful card with it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

RUG was the best deck in full block Rav limited despite not including any set 1 guilds, in part because of the graft guys

Admittedly, part of the reason was because they could send your bloodthirst Gruul dorks or whatever to the skies, and part of the reason was that the Izzet cards were insane

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Having a look at the storm scale, and it's interesting that Rosewater has discussed the return of a renamed Ninjitsu mechanic in the past. Slap that on your Dimir cards and call it Espionage, or whatever.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I kinda get the feeling that Graft was designed around you having at least one Doubling Season out. That being said, Spikes did it better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AnEdgelord posted:

So im trying to plan out flights and poo poo for a gp im planning on going to, and i cant find a straight answer online for when the main event ends on sunday.

My flight looks like its taking off at 9:24pm and if I have to chose between playing out the finals (massive assumption I get there but still) and getting back in time for work monday then I probably wont go at all.

Its GP Atlanta btw.

There's no end time because who the hell knows when a round ends let alone 6-7 of them plus an untimed top 8.

If you win the GP you can afford a new flight.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mr. Locke posted:

I mean, it's really just one of four things-

-Otherwise vanilla creature with Skulk
-French Vanilla creature with Skulk and another keyword that works with it (ie, not Trample)
-Skulk creature that does something when actually blocked
-Skulk creature that does something when dealing combat damage to an opponent (since Skulk is an evasion mechanic)

I guess there's a fifth

-Character that has Skulk and does a thing that's otherwise completely unrelated to Skulk.

There are 13 cards with skulk. The breakdown is:

1 otherwise vanilla creature.
3 french vanilla creatures.
0 that want to be blocked.
3 that do something on damage to an opponent.
3 that have something unrelated to skulk.
2 cards that give Skulk (that both fall into do something on damage to an opponent by technicality, I guess)
1 Ordic, Lunar Marshal that has Skulk in his giant list of keywords he shares.

Of note are the 3 french vanilla creatures. Two have Lifelink and the third has Deathtouch which doesn't work with Skulk.

It's amazing how hard it is to imagine making something that differs from one of the existing 10 skulk creatures. Wharf Infiltrator is 90% of skulk designs by itself.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ah, we finally have Vivien's character introduction story

turns out that Ixalan's vampires are jerks, who'd have thought

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

If anybody forgets how good isd rtr was peep the pro tour Gatecrash top 8. Isd-gtc specifically is my favourite standard format, not close.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Maybe the could do a mechanic that does not involve putting +1+1 counters on creatures??

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like charge counters are cool and underutilized and wouldn’t mind seeing a variant on creatures

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Simic should get the unstable meld mechanic. Make it like bestow maybe? Give me more frog lizards and human mutants.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I was hoping selesnya would get more populate cards. Convoke doesn't seem as fun

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

I was hoping selesnya would get more populate cards. Convoke doesn't seem as fun

Convoke is awesome.

I would love to see this in standard again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

There are 13 cards with skulk. The breakdown is:

1 otherwise vanilla creature.
3 french vanilla creatures.
0 that want to be blocked.
3 that do something on damage to an opponent.
3 that have something unrelated to skulk.
2 cards that give Skulk (that both fall into do something on damage to an opponent by technicality, I guess)
1 Ordic, Lunar Marshal that has Skulk in his giant list of keywords he shares.

Of note are the 3 french vanilla creatures. Two have Lifelink and the third has Deathtouch which doesn't work with Skulk.

It's amazing how hard it is to imagine making something that differs from one of the existing 10 skulk creatures. Wharf Infiltrator is 90% of skulk designs by itself.

To me the problem with Skulk is that combat keywords generally have to provide some kind of extra value to a body but Skulk basically can't since by definition in order to work it requires your creature to suck worse than your opponents.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sickening posted:

Convoke is awesome.

I would love to see this in standard again.

Well if it's Selesnya's mechanic then you're out of luck!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Populate had all of...what, one card that was good?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Populate had all of...what, one card that was good?

Populate was pretty decent when it was used in MM2017, although a lot of that was because they picked the best populate cards and you could do bullshit like make a 3 color Splicer decks that were actually good. And sometimes you just got Wayfaring Temple as an uncommon .

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
arena: does anyone else feel like the wildcard balance is way out of whack? you need so many more rares than mythics, especially since all the "enter tapped unless" dual lands are so important.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Populate was also killed by ratchet bomb

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

botany posted:

arena: does anyone else feel like the wildcard balance is way out of whack? you need so many more rares than mythics, especially since all the "enter tapped unless" dual lands are so important.

Yes but no one brings it up, because last time they did it was "fixed" by cutting the mythic rate in half and leaving rares the same.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I keep feeling like a brain geneouisss playing this dumb mono blue fliers deck on arena. Play tempest djinns and protect them with janky inexpensive crap like siren stormtamer, hope of girhaptur and dive down, and win.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Ive been looking on the official page but I cant find a yes or no but is Grand Prix Richmond being streamed this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

botany posted:

yeah it's pretty poorly balanced

also, you're going to have a billion common wildcards because you need a common you don't have pretty rarely