Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/29/dutton-says-donation-did-not-influence-au-pair-visa-decision?CMP=soc_568

quote:

“There are long-standing intervention powers provided to ministers to consider and deal with these representations. These powers were the same under the former Labor government.”

“I consider cases on their merits. Any suggestions cases are determined on any other basis, including whether I knew the individual who referred the matter, is completely ridiculous.”

lol

quote:

As immigration minister in November 2015, Dutton used discretionary powers to free a 27-year-old woman from detention and grant her a tourist visa.

The au pair was planning to work for Adelaide-based farmer Callum MacLachlan, the AFL boss’ second cousin.

Callum MacLachlan’s father, Hugh MacLachlan, has donated roughly $150,000 to the Liberal party since 1999.

Also lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hahahah channel ten really wants to know what’s the go with the au pairs

https://twitter.com/hughriminton/status/1034706154960502786

https://twitter.com/joshbutler/status/1034725130373480448?s=21

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a brilliant way to frame it

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
God.

One of the small victories of the spill is not having to see Dutton’s horrifying face all the time. SharkMo looks inoffensive.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bigis posted:

Westpac are raising their interest rates by 0.14%.

It begins?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This isn't politics. It is who doesn't like who on a school playground bench

https://twitter.com/ellinghausen/status/1034737593898872838?s=19

Dutton has cooties :cry:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

drunkill posted:

I’d change seats if I was her too.

Also these loss edits are getting more abstract by the day.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I’d change seats if I was her too.

Also these loss edits are getting more abstract by the day.

Dutton and Julie had their phones out- Wonder if they were chatting in their lil' whatsapp group plotting for the big spill?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
whatsapp group with the au pairs tho

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

drunkill posted:

To be fair, if Dutton or people on his behalf were bullying her like she's said, I don't blame her for moving. gently caress dealing with a hostile environment if you can avoid it.

Your general point about all the overall juvenile behaviour still stands, of course.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

whatsapp group with the au pairs tho

borders
whats up wid dat?

au pairs
whats up wid dat?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
What's the deal with au-pairline food?

e: keeping the real dangers out

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-29/chelsea-manning-australian-government-may-ban-entry/10180236 posted:

The Federal Government is preparing to ban US whistleblower Chelsea Manning from coming to Australia for a speaking tour.

The former soldier-turned-whistleblower spent seven years behind bars, including 11 months in solitary confinement, for sending nearly 750,000 classified military and diplomatic documents to WikiLeaks.

Ms Manning, known as Bradley Manning at the time of the arrest, had been working as an intelligence analyst in Iraq.

She is planning to give a speech at the Sydney Opera House on Sunday night before similar talks in Brisbane and Melbourne.

The Australian organiser of her speaking tour, Think Inc, has written to supporters asking them to lobby the newly installed Immigration Minister, David Coleman.

"We have just received a Notice of Intention to Consider Refusal under s501 of the Migration Act from the Australian government in regards to Chelsea's Visa," the company's director Suzi Jamil wrote to supporters.

"We are looking for support from relevant national bodies or individuals, especially politicians who can support Chelsea's entry into Australia.

"We are seeking letters of support to send to the Minister for Immigration in order for him to reconsider his decision."

Section 501 of the Migration Act allows the Minister to deny anyone a visa if they do not pass "the character test".

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 29, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
But Laura Southern (Banned from the UK) was allowed in?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

drunkill posted:

But Laura Southern (Banned from the UK) was allowed in?

I mean one is an unashamed white supremacist, while the other is a whistleblower on crimes related to a bullshit invasion the LNP government enthusiastically thrusted us balls-deep into.

One is obviously more fitting with our values as a country than the other.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
One hundred percent because the cables she leaked revealed every American envoy and diplomat who ever met Abbott wrote home that he was a stupid piece of poo poo

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

The Peccadillo posted:

One hundred percent because the cables she leaked revealed every American envoy and diplomat who ever met Abbott wrote home that he was a stupid piece of poo poo

lolllll what?

Link?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Dude McAwesome posted:

lolllll what?

Link?

I don't know, search "tony abbot" on wikileaks. They unsurprisingly hated Rudd too

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't know, search "tony abbot" on wikileaks. They unsurprisingly hated Rudd too

I thought they hated Rudd because he was less enamoured with America and was pivoting our economy to China, rather than for being an idiot like Abbott.

e: Or maybe not

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Box of Bunnies posted:

e: keeping the real dangers out

Ah this is a load of crap

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I expect they hated Rudd for the same reasons everyone else does.

He's a narcissistic peice of poo poo who doesn't give a gently caress about anything beyond his personal circumstances.

He'd be a perfect Liberal.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Having a bit of a time figuring out Think Inc's deal. Owner's retweeting Jordan Peterson, Dave Rubin, Ricky Gervais, the website mentions associations with Assange and Sam Harris, they did tours for Richard Dawkins and Douglas Murray, this is some incredibly Rational Centrist Debate Me poo poo. Also looks like their workers are 'volunteers'

https://twitter.com/suzijamil/status/1029386008805031937

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Don Dongington posted:

I expect they hated Rudd for the same reasons everyone else does.

He's a narcissistic peice of poo poo who doesn't give a gently caress about anything beyond his personal circumstances.

He'd be a perfect Liberal.

Yeop, just a genuine fuckin' nightmare to share a beurocracy with

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 29, 2018

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Actually this is standard procedure for anyone who's been sentenced to more than a year of prison and therefore fails the character test.

Smart tactic by whoever's representing her though to frame it the way they have and drum up outrage about it/hopefully tons of public support for her.

ETA: for clarity, I think Manning is a loving hero and will be pissed off if they refuse her visa, especially on character grounds. But a letter like that does go to everyone who fails the character test and so she was always going to get one, even if they wanted to give her the visa.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 29, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fuckin noice

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

Actually this is standard procedure for anyone who's been sentenced to more than a year of prison and therefore fails the character test.

Actually I think you'll find visa grants are a very delicate and case by case assesment, to ensure a generous and humanitarian Australia, devoid of personal interests

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Manning's visa decision was reversed when it was revealed she's actually speaking at au pair professional development conference.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Could Section 44 exclude Tony Abbott and Barnaby Joyce from Parliament?

Tony Abbott and Barnaby Joyce have each accepted job offers from new Prime Minister Scott Morrison to serve as his special envoys.

The Prime Minister's offers may have been a clever way to keep these two former leaders busy and put their abilities to use. But these jobs may have inadvertently rendered both Mr Abbott and Mr Joyce disqualified from parliament under section 44 of the Constitution. That section disqualifies any MP who accepts a paid job in government that is not a ministerial position.

Tony Abbott is now the Prime Minister's Special Envoy for Indigenous Affairs, whereas Barnaby Joyce is Special Envoy for Drought Assistance and Recovery.

Special envoys are not ministerial positions. Neither Mr Abbott nor Mr Joyce is part of the Morrison ministry. Their roles are to work with the relevant ministers and the prime minister to advance policy in these respective areas. The precise details of what they will be doing are not yet clear.

Section 44 of the Constitution sets out several grounds on which a politician will be disqualified from membership of parliament. Being a dual citizen is only one of them.

Dutton's family trust could make him ineligible

It's possible Peter Dutton is in breach of the constitution because of a family trust — and if the High Court were to find him so, it would cause yet another headache for the Government, writes Anne Twomey.
Another ground for disqualification is set out in section 44(iv). That provision disqualifies anyone holding an "office of profit under the Crown", unless the position is that of a minister.

The special envoy roles look suspiciously like offices of profit under the Crown.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-30/could-abbott-and-joyce-have-a-section-44-problem/10179944

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

Could Section 44 exclude Tony Abbott and Barnaby Joyce from Parliament?

Like just about every other instance of LNP members who are at risk of breaching S44, it'll never get to a point where it is enforced anyway so i almost wish they'd just stop digging this poo poo up because it seems to be purely a massive academic prick tease

Wake me when these shitstains are in front of a judge answering to this

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

shut down super

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm almost starting to wish we had the Constitution worship that the Yanks do (we do kind of, but we worship their Constitution instead of our own MUH FREE SPEECH) so this stuff would be prosecuted a lot more strongly

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Ahahahaha

My sweet summer child.

Donald Trump has literally admitted to breaching campaign finance laws via twitter, and with Cohen's testimony they have him dead to rights.

It does not matter, because Congress will not vote to impeach while the Republicans control it.

So tell me more about how the American system is better :allears:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Insanely good that the checks and balances on potential breaches of the law by the executive require the same executive to refer itself for investigation. Just a brilliant system.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
TPG and Vodafone are going to merge. 15b dollar company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Anidav posted:

TPG and Vodafone are going to merge. 15b dollar company.

they could use some tax breaks scomo

• Locked thread