Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Forcing yourself to eat things you hate to own....

Yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Schubalts posted:

Getting Stockholm Syndrome for food you can't stand by forcing yourself to eat it anyway.
To be fair, if you're a picky eater that's kind of how you have to break yourself out of it.

A lot of it is psychological, and once you eat something a few times and realize it won't kill you, that part goes away. There's also stuff where people agree it's an acquired taste, like coffee.

It's fine to have a couple things you don't like, but if you dislike so many things it's hard to find more than one thing you like on the average restaurant menu, it's worth trying to change.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’ve been forcing myself to eat mushrooms for at least 18 years at this point and I probably will again because I’m stubborn and they still taste like rubbery dirt to me. I think if you’re spending literal decades on a food giving it every chance you can and it’s still awful you could probably throw in the towel

Mushrooms are one I've acquired a taste for. I don't love them but I can eat them. I also got myself to like cucumbers, capers, some other stuff.

I'm extremely stubborn but also self conscious and I don't like picking things out or eating around them at restaurants. :colbert: Also I went pescatarian last year so it's fairly necessary to have a palette for a wide range of non-meat foods (I like every loving meat, for what it's worth, even offal, hell yeah).

Perry Mason Jar has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Aug 29, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I loving love mushrooms and olives and a lot of other foods people hate. I love every single kind of seafood I've ever tried with one exception:

Salmon.

I hate it. I want to like it, it's healthy and popular. I don't "think it will kill me"or anything stupid like that. There's plenty of other things to order.

Is anyone really suggesting I purchase fairly expensive fish to consume over and over even though I don't enjoy it, on the off chance that someday I will?

I mean, for those people that only eat chicken nuggets and nothing else I totally agree

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People tend to go overboard on what they call a "picky eater". Having preferences is fine. If you've given a food a reasonable chance, it's fine to choose not to eat it. It's only a problem if you whine about it and make your friends change their plans to suit you. Like I really hate olives, but if I get something with olives in it I can just pick them out and not eat them, I don't need to make a big scene telling the waiter I demanded no olives.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Depending on how important this is to you as a person, it's super nice to never have to be the limiting factor in what a group decides to eat.

I'm like
Thai: :yum:
Japanese :yum:
Indian :yum:
Ethiopian :yum:
Chinese :yum:
Vegan :yum:

Wherever we end up, if people are going to have arguments about what we can or can't have, it won't be because of me :buddy:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I hate olives. When they're in my salad I demand the waiter bring me more olives. I tell him to stand there as I choke and gag on the olives. I cry and cry. I order more olives over my friends' begging.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you order the house salad at Carrabba's it comes with two (2) olives.

I have, on more than one occasion, ordered the caesar salad and requested "add olives" and had it arrive with a shitload (10+) olives

I like olives

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not like mushrooms, but I will cook with them, I just don't eat them.

Broccoli and cauliflower can both gently caress themselves though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Depending on how important this is to you as a person, it's super nice to never have to be the limiting factor in what a group decides to eat.

I'm like

Wherever we end up, if people are going to have arguments about what we can or can't have, it won't be because of me :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hFwPmQqSsU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I'm like
It's the best, isn't it :yum::hf::yum:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I hate olives. When they're in my salad I demand the waiter bring me more olives. I tell him to stand there as I choke and gag on the olives. I cry and cry. I order more olives over my friends' begging.

:same: but with cheese

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:wrong:

You can bring yourself to like any food if you try a tolerable amount every once in a while. Your brain doesn't understand how the flavor is Good but repeat exposure and/or exposure to other, similar flavors will eventually make it edible. A lot of times people don't like foods because they've never actually given it a real chance.

I'm training myself to like raw tomato now because it's honestly bullshit I don't like raw tomato. It's taking a long time but it's fine.
gently caress olives forever though.

Lol I actually know exactly what you're going through. I absolutely could not eat raw tomato when I was a kid and into early adulthood. I was fine with it if it was cooked but the texture of raw tomato was extremely unappealing to me, and I didn't like the flavor enough for it to be worth it. I think I first started giving it a chance with fresh tomatoes from a garden. It really makes a huge difference. Also grape tomatoes cut in half were one of the earlier ones I could tolerate. I still get kinda grossed out by the crappier tomatoes you get sometimes on a sandwich or whatever and I may pick them out. It's the goopy part with the seeds that tends to get me. But there is hope! I do eat and sometimes even enjoy raw tomatoes now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The list of foods I'll never eat no matter how they're prepared is pretty small. I don't like raw tomatoes or ketchup, but I love marinara sauce and stuff like curry ketchup from currywurst or chutney.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My list is pretty much just "stinky cheese." And even that used to be "cheese" until I actually came across good cheese. Give me a few years and you'll probably find me chowing down on the funkiest fromage I can find.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dixville posted:

Lol I actually know exactly what you're going through. I absolutely could not eat raw tomato when I was a kid and into early adulthood. I was fine with it if it was cooked but the texture of raw tomato was extremely unappealing to me, and I didn't like the flavor enough for it to be worth it. I think I first started giving it a chance with fresh tomatoes from a garden. It really makes a huge difference. Also grape tomatoes cut in half were one of the earlier ones I could tolerate. I still get kinda grossed out by the crappier tomatoes you get sometimes on a sandwich or whatever and I may pick them out. It's the goopy part with the seeds that tends to get me. But there is hope! I do eat and sometimes even enjoy raw tomatoes now.

A lot of stuff I hated as a kid was due to the kind I got as a kid, or how it was prepared. Apples and tomatoes were always these crappy flavorless mealy kinds (grandma had a red delicious apple tree and grew tomatoes). Broccoli and other veggies were always boiled to Hell and back and doused in butter. Lots of things were under seasoned or not seasoned at all.

I eat those little multi-colored tomatoes like candy nowadays.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wait, is dousing vegetables in butter supposed to be a bad thing?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Lovely Horse posted:

My list is pretty much just "stinky cheese." And even that used to be "cheese" until I actually came across good cheese. Give me a few years and you'll probably find me chowing down on the funkiest fromage I can find.

Wait‽ You didn't like cheese?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I mean, it tastes good. It's not exactly good for you if that's the only way you eat vegetables

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I'm like

That's me. I eat anything. Having a grandfather that picked up worldly tastes travelling in the military helped, and my mom dated a chinese man long-term when I was a kid so we ate with his family a lot. I got to try things like fish eyeballs and jellyfish when I was a kid. I'll try anything!

( I am a little afraid of natto, though.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I mean, it tastes good. It's not exactly good for you if that's the only way you eat vegetables

Well, sure.

When my dad's doctor told him he has to stop cooking all his vegetables in butter and everything else in lard he was devastated. He still does it, he just cooks two batches, one "so I don't die" batch and another "for everyone else".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the (actually probably the only) good things about having two of the world's worst cooks for parents is that I can eat pretty much anything with barely a grimace

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I got to the point with a bunch of stuff like raw tomatoes where I can eat it even if I don't like the taste, and I figure that's good enough. And I'll generally still try any foods I didn't like previously at least once a year or so in case I develop a taste for it, especially fruits and vegetables.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

Exactly. Sometimes you should use cheese instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBzFFnmBWGU

Kids Hobbitses will happily scarf down giant platefulls of broccoli if you douse it in cheese.

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Aug 29, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kids will happily scarf down giant platefulls of broccoli if you douse it in cheese.
Incorrect where I was concerned, as we have established.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Lovely Horse posted:

Incorrect where I was concerned, as we have established.

Well, yeah, but you're a horse.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I’m talking half a stick of butter worth on a bowl of veggies. I got flak for ‘hating flavor’ when I asked for a little separate dish without butter on it.

A reasonable amount of butter is nice though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
"Picky eater" definitely means something different in the U.S. than in some other places. We're the world leader in kids who ate literally nothing but chicken fingers and french fries for multiple decades because they refused to eat anything else and their parents didn't force the issue.

It really is a failure of parenting imo. If you have a kid who's shut down to the idea of eating anything but that one thing he likes from the school cafeteria or whatever, you better do whatever you have to in order to nip that in the bud. Fully grown adults who literally can't eat off the average restaurant menu are an embarrassment, don't let your kid turn into one of those people.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

"Picky eater" definitely means something different in the U.S. than in some other places. We're the world leader in kids who ate literally nothing but chicken fingers and french fries for multiple decades because they refused to eat anything else and their parents didn't force the issue.

It really is a failure of parenting imo. If you have a kid who's shut down to the idea of eating anything but that one thing he likes from the school cafeteria or whatever, you better do whatever you have to in order to nip that in the bud. Fully grown adults who literally can't eat off the average restaurant menu are an embarrassment, don't let your kid turn into one of those people.

I wonder if there are adults that refuse to eat anything but that lovely elementary school "pizza"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I wonder if there are adults that refuse to eat anything but that lovely elementary school "pizza"

There are certainly adults in America who subsist totally on lovely frozen pizzas(like not even the decent brands)and various forms of breaded and fried chicken. It stems from childhood, the longer your taste buds are locked into that rut the harder it is to get out as an adult.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I was friends with twins who were like this until their early 20s. Literally lived on chicken nuggets, French fries, pizza, goldfish crackers, etc. It was 100% a failure of parenting- early on their mother decided it was easier to just appease them than try to make them try anything. The twin that moved away from home successfully integrated herself to a diet that is now less picky than I am (not very), and has a 3 year old who tries everything and loves fruits and veggies, and is a great cook. The one who stayed codependent and close to home eats the same way she always did with the addition of liquor.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ugh you're kirin me

Krillin?

e

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm training myself to like raw tomato now because it's honestly bullshit I don't like raw tomato. It's taking a long time but it's fine.
gently caress olives forever though.

Beefsteak average grocery and fast food tomatoes will forever be bullshit.

Mercedes Colomar has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Aug 29, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

subpar anachronism posted:

The one who stayed codependent and close to home eats the same way she always did with the addition of liquor.

See now, she tried something new and liked it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I was friends with twins who were like this until their early 20s. Literally lived on chicken nuggets, French fries, pizza, goldfish crackers, etc. It was 100% a failure of parenting- early on their mother decided it was easier to just appease them than try to make them try anything. The twin that moved away from home successfully integrated herself to a diet that is now less picky than I am (not very), and has a 3 year old who tries everything and loves fruits and veggies, and is a great cook. The one who stayed codependent and close to home eats the same way she always did with the addition of liquor.

Sounds like me and my brother, except it's my parents who are stuck eating "convenience food"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kirin Ichiban is a Japanese beer.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You obviously don't have kids. Some kids will literally starve themselves rather than eat something that they "don't like". And I put that in quotes because the more you force the issue the more stubborn they'll be about not liking it even when you loving know that they do like it. You cannot force kids to eat or like things.

What you can do is regularly present them with a variety of foods from an early age, and model good eating habits yourself, and also make sure you actually know how to cook. But you can't "force the issue" at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat, if that kid is a great cook at three, they're gonna be amazing when they're older.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

bike tory posted:

You obviously don't have kids. Some kids will literally starve themselves rather than eat something that they "don't like". And I put that in quotes because the more you force the issue the more stubborn they'll be about not liking it even when you loving know that they do like it. You cannot force kids to eat or like things.

What you can do is regularly present them with a variety of foods from an early age, and model good eating habits yourself, and also make sure you actually know how to cook. But you can't "force the issue" at all.

So much this. Forcing kids to eat things is how you end up literally traumatizing them into never being able to eat it again. To this day, the moment a chunk of tomato hits the back of my throat it triggers my gag reflex.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Manuel Calavera posted:

Beefsteak average grocery and fast food tomatoes will forever be bullshit.

One time I was very drunk and high and seriously misunderstood what "Beefsteak Burger" meant. Don't know how this would've played out if I wasn't drunk and stoned but I ate the whole thing.

Perry Mason Jar has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

NinjaDebugger posted:

So much this. Forcing kids to eat things is how you end up literally traumatizing them into never being able to eat it again. To this day, the moment a chunk of tomato hits the back of my throat it triggers my gag reflex.

I'm like this with honey and butter together. Had a sandwich that was made with this when I had a stomach flu. I was forced to eat it and I ended up throwing up and even the idea of it disgusts me to this day. Any sandwich with cold butter or honey, actually.