Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Away all Goats posted:

But Nintendo fans aren't insufferable, generally

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Can modern PCs boot without a detected keyboard? I guess the one "advantage" of a console over a PC is that its whole system can be controlled with a glorified TV remote, which is actually an disadvantage if you are interested in using sensible, non-maddening controls for young and navigating menus instead.

I'm pretty sure you can make the PC boot straight into Steam Big Picture.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Twelve Batmans posted:

Story is very much over-valued in games and people who think games have amazing stories probably don't read or consume anything else with much narrative value.

How does this make any lick of sense? It's like saying that "Story is very much over-valued in movies and people who think movies have amazing stories probably don't read or consume anything else with much narrative value."
You'd think that it probably depends on whether or not the author of the piece of media in question tried to make a good story or not and then whether or not they were skilled enough to to so.

That's not even mentioning the kind of storytelling that literally only video games can deliver.
There even have been a few games that properly take advantage of that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

2house2fly posted:

Nintendo came up with modern controller design in 1990. And while Sony and Microsoft have been content to just replicate Nintendo's SNES controller with some minor adjustments to what the buttons are labelled, Nintendo kept experimenting and innovating, never treating controller design as a settled question that could just be iterated on in tiny ways for the rest of time. They even settled the question themselves with the Gamecube controller, the best controller ever, but they still kept on trying. Let's salute Nintendo

Sure, but you neglect to mention that nintendo controllers suck rear end.

Away all Goats posted:

But Nintendo fans aren't insufferable, generally

Source your quotes.

TheScott2K posted:

What do Apple users have to do with videogames

:boom:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jack Trades posted:

How does this make any lick of sense? It's like saying that "Story is very much over-valued in movies and people who think movies have amazing stories probably don't read or consume anything else with much narrative value."
You'd think that it probably depends on whether or not the author of the piece of media in question tried to make a good story or not and then whether or not they were skilled enough to to so.

That's not even mentioning the kind of storytelling that literally only video games can deliver.

It's actually not like that at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

Decorating your PC in RGB colored paraphernalia is the result of repressed femininity in male gamers

I love that all my gear has all these dumb diodes that sure look beautiful in my fully enclosed case.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inverse posted:

I think stories in video games are entirely over rated and I think game balance is the most important part of a game.

Game balance is a weird topic to discuss because, from everything I've read by game designers, designers have a very different priority than players think they do. Because it's completely impossible for a game to be truly balanced--there are far too many variables for that to ever happen, even in a single-player game--developers instead try to tweak game balance so that the most players possible have a fun experience. Even if that experience isn't quite balanced, if it's fun and people keep playing, mission accomplished.

It's also interesting to me that some developers intentionally tweak balance just to shift up a competitive game's meta, even if it's a "don't fix what isn't broken" situation. Even if the game is reasonably balanced, it can get stale if the meta stagnates for too long, and keeping the game interesting and engaging is more important from a developer's perspective than maintaining something close to perfect balance.

I'm not a developer myself so I can't speak to whether this is true everywhere, but it's a common theme in everything I've read. Games cheat all the time to make sure that players stay engaged and have the best chance of enjoying their time with the game, and that's no less true of competitive games.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Saying that story is over-valued is not the same as saying it's bad/shouldn't exist. But when I think of all my favorite games "Story" is not what makes any of them my favorite. It's all systems, gameplay, visuals, etc. The story that all these elements may create when combined might be novel or interesting, but it is nowhere near as interesting as the system or that system's creation itself.

Anyone I've met that says they love a game for it's story tends to more commonly play walking sims/visual novels/Telltale games- which are generally very lazily-crafted games. They don't need to be mechanically robust since you're generally just moving around menus/decisions and then watching something play out for you. If you took away the story from the these games they would have absolutely no mechanical value/distinguishing features about them. Meanwhile if you took the story away from a game like Ninja Gaiden (the later 3D games) or Vanquish you still have a very open-ended and robust engine to goof around with and make cool poo poo happen.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Soul Reaver series is probably the best balance of story and gameplay.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
videogame stories are almost always terrible and if you're a fan of them then you're terrible

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Twelve Batmans posted:

Saying that story is over-valued is not the same as saying it's bad/shouldn't exist. But when I think of all my favorite games "Story" is not what makes any of them my favorite. It's all systems, gameplay, visuals, etc. The story that all these elements may create when combined might be novel or interesting, but it is nowhere near as interesting as the system or that system's creation itself.

Anyone I've met that says they love a game for it's story tends to more commonly play walking sims/visual novels/Telltale games- which are generally very lazily-crafted games. They don't need to be mechanically robust since you're generally just moving around menus/decisions and then watching something play out for you. If you took away the story from the these games they would have absolutely no mechanical value/distinguishing features about them. Meanwhile if you took the story away from a game like Ninja Gaiden (the later 3D games) or Vanquish you still have a very open-ended and robust engine to goof around with and make cool poo poo happen.

What's it like to know that these lazily crafted games are better than your precious "systems" (lol)?

Telltale games and walking simulators are garbage but it's hilarious to assert that games are inherently better / worse based on one magic criterion.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

signalnoise posted:

Using location only, which button is confirm, and which button is cancel?

Right is confirm, bottom is cancel.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Dualshock controller is very overrated. The DPad is very bad.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think it's ok for the control interfaces for different machines to not be exactly the same

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

What's it like to know that these lazily crafted games are better than your precious "systems" (lol)?

Telltale games and walking simulators are garbage but it's hilarious to assert that games are inherently better / worse based on one magic criterion.

Yeah you're right. That would be really dumb if I said that for games in general and wasn't blatantly using the anecdotes of my own personal taste to explain what I meant. That would be real loving retarded if someone read it that way too. :shrug:

I mean I like old JRPG's and even have one or two of them in my top 10 GOAT list, but even though those are supposed to be "story-driven"- the story is my least favorite part of them. I like making crazy dumb builds and breaking them. I didn't replay FF7 multiple times and max out save file timers because I wanted to watch Aeris die again. lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Twelve Batmans posted:

I mean I like old JRPG's and even have one or two of them in my top 10 GOAT list, but even though those are supposed to be "story-driven"- the story is my least favorite part of them. I like making crazy dumb builds and breaking them. I didn't replay FF7 multiple times and max out save file timers because I wanted to watch Aeris die again. lol

Just because you have never replayed a game primarily for it's story and not it's gameplay doesn't mean that nobody else does that.

Nier Automata for example has very real but also very mediocre gameplay and that's a game I replayed several times from start to finish because I enjoy it's story.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

Just because you have never replayed a game primarily for it's story and not it's gameplay doesn't mean that nobody else does that.

Nier Automata for example has very real but also very mediocre gameplay and that's a game I replayed several times from start to finish because I enjoy it's story.

Uuuuh, duh? I thought this was the opinions thread. Where people offer their own divergent takes on a similar hobby and we all discuss it! Mine is that personally I've never seen story as the most important aspect of any videogame that I consider "good" wrt replayability.

But if other people wanna enjoy it then by all means, go hog-wild!

also for Neir Automata having mediocre gameplay I guess you must just suck or hate fun because myself and 3 other people I know have beaten that game and it's full of all kinds of wild poo poo you can do.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jack Trades posted:

sorry dude talk about how great video game stories are all you want, it's still not going to make anyone want to read your wow fanfic

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Twelve Batmans posted:

also for Neir Automata having mediocre gameplay I guess you must just suck or hate fun because myself and 3 other people I know have beaten that game and it's full of all kinds of wild poo poo you can do.

I'm just more used to the depth of other Platinum games such as Revengeance or Bayonetta.
Or maybe I just need to git gud and the game suddenly will become more difficult and complex.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve Batmans posted:

I'd argue that the range of things you can do is only part of what makes the gameplay good. Nier Automata does let you pull off a ton of wild stuff, but I don't think that the enemy and combat design really lets the player's potential move set shine. That's what, at least to me, puts it behind other Platinum-developed games like Bayonetta.

It's still fun to play with, though, and the overall experience of the game is fantastic.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Trades posted:

I'm just more used to the depth of other Platinum games such as Revengeance or Bayonetta.
Or maybe I just need to git gud and the game suddenly will become more difficult and complex.

I'm more used to the depth of DMC and Ninja Gaiden games (at the risk of creating a hellhole MY HACK N SLASH IS THE BEST /v/ thread) so I was pleasantly surprised with Automata's mechanical depth especially compared to other games in the series/from that creator. I suppose I just considered it a step up from every other Yoko Taro game that's even been made. God bless the man, but the janky weapon-swapping system in Drakengard 3 wasn't anywhere near as bad the game dropping to 8FPS everytime two enemies got on the screen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Automatas gameplay is definitely fun despite its simplicity. Platinum knows it's stuff.

It's just a shame they locked dodge offset behind a mid game chip and the fact that you get a combat substitute button later doesn't help either.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The only RPG's whose stories I enjoy are the Soulblazer series and maybe Chrono Trigger. The rest is mostly poo poo.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The Legend of Dragoon is the best rpg

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

The Legend of Dragoon is the best rpg

It's so weird that Sony never made a sequel.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sardonik posted:

Roses are red

Grass is green

The best DDR song

Is Trip Machine

Which one though

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dross posted:

Which one though

Luv Mix was my go-to for a long long time but I started liking the SP Jungle-mix Version.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

My favorite Konami Original song that first appeared in DDR is probably AM-3P, which was also my first heavy AAA.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Inverse posted:

I think stories in video games are entirely over rated and I think game balance is the most important part of a game.

Twelve Batmans posted:

Story is very much over-valued in games and people who think games have amazing stories probably don't read or consume anything else with much narrative value.

These are good opinions

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I play games to make numbers go up

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Platinum games are bad because having to hit the buttons fast hurts my fingers after a while.

Dark souls is good because it doesn't hurt me physically, just emotionally, the way I like it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phone games like bejeweled-style things can be perfectly entertaining or even clever. Not all of them even try to rip you off that badly and can be completed just fine without spending anything

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dragonball Fighterz is a terrible fighting game.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
The kinect was pretty cool. Also the kinect should have been a head tracking option on as many games as possible it kicked rear end in forza 4.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

Phone games like bejeweled-style things can be perfectly entertaining or even clever. Not all of them even try to rip you off that badly and can be completed just fine without spending anything

Bull poo poo.

Name one?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

A lot of the early Kairosoft games are decent little sims. They're not earth shattering but they're a step above most and they're also pretty cute.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

claiming that video games always have worse story than books only proves that you don't read many books

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

claiming that video games always have worse story than books only proves that you don't read many books

I will readily admit that most of the books I read are trash

But attempting to directly compare fundamentally different methods of storytelling is dumb. Just enjoy the thing or don’t.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

There are even books about video games with worse stories than the video games they are based on. Shitloads of em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sure some of them do but in my opinion I don't want to delve deep into a story when I'm playing a video game i just want a double barrel shotgun and pump lead into a zombie or demon or whahoo platform my way into some peach's castles.