Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
A big silver orb is like space Jesus but he/it explodes and I think you are Jesus now in destiny 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've bought and played Destiny 1 and 2 start to finish, they were good games but the disappointment stems from unfulfilled potential. World design, presentation and control were highlights but there wasn't a lot to stick around for.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I miss Dinklebot

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don’t understand about those surveys. Why would anyone who took the effort to do them not answer that way? What value are they to Sega?

i imagine the value there is more in how many people care enough about yakuza to write in a survey and not so much the actual votes (because yeah, yakuza fans will write in 5 for all of those)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Seedge posted:

Is Destiny 2 the quickest non-launch PS+ that a game has went free on PS+?

Bioshock Infinite was released March 2013 and PS+ January 2014.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

When did you guys decide to hang up Yakuza 0? I feel bad about missing stuff but I don’t want to burn out. Video game anxiety. Help. Ahhhhh.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I love Guacamelee 2 and the part making fun of the people who complained about memes in the first game was amazing

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

When did you guys decide to hang up Yakuza 0? I feel bad about missing stuff but I don’t want to burn out. Video game anxiety. Help. Ahhhhh.

I did all of the easily-accessible substories (no dating/disco), cabaret club, and real estate, then put it away for Kiwami. gently caress running around trying to drink every type of Suntory, catch every fish, or learn Mahjong.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Yeah, I did the main side stuff for the fighting styles and then the plot mainly. Anything else was a bonus in Y0.

Also do people think Spiderman will be any good?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Welp, I got this Yakuza game because everyone said it was great, played for an hour and a half last night, saw no option to save in the menus, so I figured it must autosave after missions.

Nope.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blackfyre posted:

i do, i feel like at worst it'll be a prettier spider-man 2: the movie: the game and that game ruled

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Day Man posted:

Welp, I got this Yakuza game because everyone said it was great, played for an hour and a half last night, saw no option to save in the menus, so I figured it must autosave after missions.

Nope.
6 is the only one that autosaves. I thought it would be standard on all games after that but Kiwami 2 and Fist of the North Star both don’t so who knows what they’re thinking.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Day Man posted:

Nope.

You save a pay phones, which is one of the very first objectives you get

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blackfyre posted:

Yeah, I did the main side stuff for the fighting styles and then the plot mainly. Anything else was a bonus in Y0.

Doesn't have to be GOTY for me to enjoy it. I had lots of fun with the Spider-Man PS1 game, the first two movie games on PS2, and Web of Shadows on PS3. I'm hoping it's at least as good as those.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
The issue I have with Destiny is the lack of pick up and playability. They outright refuse matchmaking for PvE and certain PvPs so they force you to join some video game version of tinder. If you don't have a specific gun or piece of armor, noone will go near you. If you somehow pass this screening process and are deemed worthy to play with xXxEdgeL0rd69xXx and his clan, you have to be available at a set time to play. I just want to turn my PS4 on, join a lobby, and get called a loving scrub like other games.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

mastershakeman posted:

Well, actually it wasn't the first objective. The first objectives were: fight a group of losers, walk around with some dude, fight a couple of losers, level up my character's punching powers, drink a bunch, sing karaoke. All the cutscenes made this take a long time. It never explained saving and I was ready to stop for the night. Pretty lovely that you can't save for that long in a game, imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blackfyre posted:

https://twitter.com/_DannyGarnett/status/1025114653184032768

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Created a Spiderman thread so have at it. They just announced episodic content for the rest of the year after launch, as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867299

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Day Man posted:

Well, actually it wasn't the first objective. The first objectives were: fight a group of losers, walk around with some dude, fight a couple of losers, level up my character's punching powers, drink a bunch, sing karaoke. All the cutscenes made this take a long time. It never explained saving and I was ready to stop for the night. Pretty lovely that you can't save for that long in a game, imo
At the very least it offers to save between every chapter, but the problem is that some chapters take an hour to finish while others take 20 hours.

Like I said, I thought they had that fixed with 6 finally and then they un-fixed it in the next two games. Oh those wacky Yakuza guys, what are you gonna do. I guess it’s why we love them.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

mastershakeman posted:

You can also use the item box at payphones

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Day Man posted:

Are we going to have another derail about rest mode now?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Day Man posted:

Nope.

The honorable gamer would cast off his pain with a flourish, display the ferocity of his spirit, and face down 90 minutes of replay like they were a mob of 90 thugs who need their faces punched in. You should continue your journey because you have much to learn.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
YaKiwami 2: Oh.My.God at "Be My Baby" :allears:

I've never :same:'d so hard with a character before

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I made a video of the best part of Yakuza Kiwami 2 so far, and Youtube created the perfect thumbnail for it. Behold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTn9S-i-znU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Spalec posted:

Bioshock Infinite was released March 2013 and PS+ January 2014.

I felt really bad (or maybe it's a good thing, idk) that Rime was free on PS Plus when it came out I think May 2017 then was free February of this year.

But honestly, that game is super underrated and I have no idea why, if you like Ico and those sorts of games you should definitely play through it. It's aesthic and setting changes pretty dramatically about a couple of hours in and has a great story I think, that's legitimately sad at the end.. but someone complained about the overly sad music being constant, but I'm really picky about music, like not just the compositions, but when and how often it's used, but I enjoyed Rime's soundtrack, there's a few songs I can remember really well, they're catchy, but yeah I guess if anything mostly pretty "sad", sounding.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Regy Rusty posted:

I made a video of the best part of Yakuza Kiwami 2 so far, and Youtube created the perfect thumbnail for it. Behold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTn9S-i-znU

There are so many good scenes, goddamn, bless SEGA and everyone at Yakuza Team

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Autosave breaking the brains of so many people that they literally cannot adjust is one of the most consistently refreshing things in games going on right now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The nier prologue is a bad trick for a number of reasons lol. It lets you play through it while the game isn't fully installed, like a lot of games do, but instead of giving you a chance to save and come back later you get a weird fourth wall breaking dialogue sequence about whether or not you believe in god or something, then it just locks up and suggests you replay it again once the game is fully installed. Funny in retrospect but pretty cruel at the time

edit: like in the end i count myself lucky because i got to see a segment of Nier: A that even some of the most dedicated players didn't because they waited for a full install before playing, but lol I was pissed at the time considering how many times i legitimately died and had to restart the opening before that

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 30, 2018

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Destiny loving sucks and this is like the 3rd time they’ve pulled this bait and switch and have paid reviewers going on about how it’s totally fixed this time! While everyone on the subreddit vehemently defends the trash game and Bungie’s business practices. It’s a total scam through and through. D2 was somehow worse than 1 especially in customizability

That said, I’ve bought everything thus far and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t half tempted to drop $70 for more Destiny

It’s me, I’m part of the problem.

I'm pretty much in the same boat but I think I'll just buy forsaken. Ideally wait for a sale but see if my friend group goes for it and can shame me into getting earlier. I don't think the season pass or whatever they call it is necessary, it seems to be more loot than content. But we'll see. At least it's only a $5 difference if you buy them separately, and I'm sure it'll be on sale if this fails.

It's kind of amazing how good they made Destiny 1 at the end and how hollow 2 began.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its sad because raiding with goons in destiny 1 was really fun for me. i havent found any other games with a similar dynamic on console

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Seedge posted:

Is Destiny 2 the quickest non-launch PS+ that a game has went free on PS+?

Guardians of Middle-Earth is the absolute king of this. Released both on the PS Store and as a physical retail box with a download code in it that you could spend $29.99 on on December 4th 2012.

Became a free PS+ game for February 2013.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PS3 wasn't quite the same situation as PS4 because Sony was trying to attract people into the optional paid subscriptions and did it by giving away much more desirable games. On PS4 they don't need to put up titles that could still sell.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

With Spiderman and Tomb Raider coming out in September, I'm fine with them giving away the easily ignored Destiny 2 this month.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gently caress this mahjong quest

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

gently caress this mahjong quest

Good news

Sakurazuka posted:

Ignore it for now and play up to meeting Komaki, do all his training then fight him, when you win you'll get an item that gives you an instant winning hand in mahjong, use that to beat the sub story.

Now that I actually did this I somewhat suspect that this was the intended method

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

With Spiderman and Tomb Raider coming out in September, I'm fine with them giving away the easily ignored Destiny 2 this month.

More importantly, Dragon Quest XI

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

haveblue posted:

PS3 wasn't quite the same situation as PS4 because Sony was trying to attract people into the optional paid subscriptions and did it by giving away much more desirable games. On PS4 they don't need to put up titles that could still sell.

They’re also kinda limited to what the publishers offer them as giveaways. The larger user base means more potential sales, which is hard to justify taking the amount Sony pays versus the sales from gamers.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Just one-shot Majima with my top-tier MesuKing cards. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I miss Dinklebot

We all do

quote:

The issue I have with Destiny is the lack of pick up and playability. They outright refuse matchmaking for PvE and certain PvPs so they force you to join some video game version of tinder. If you don't have a specific gun or piece of armor, noone will go near you. If you somehow pass this screening process and are deemed worthy to play with xXxEdgeL0rd69xXx and his clan, you have to be available at a set time to play. I just want to turn my PS4 on, join a lobby, and get called a loving scrub like other games.

The only multiplayer-oriented PVE content you can't matchmake for are the raids, and that's not true anymore with the expansion according to Bungie. The only pvp content you can't matchmake for is Trials of the Nine, the e-sports mode.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 30, 2018