Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Windows 98 posted:

Where does Naomi on Voyager go to school. Who is teaching her brain while her mom works all day? It can’t possibly be Neelix, since he is a retard.

In the episode Once Upon a Time there is a scene were the Doctor is teaching her about plant cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

In my opinion if you're going to do an animated space opera just go hire the studio that did Space Battleship Yamato 2199, that was such a gorgeously rendered series.

The second series, 2202, is somehow prettier. I hope this studio never runs out of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrYskeie-s

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Any new Star Trek animated series that's going for an old-school anime feel absolutely needs to get the music right, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GsQSJzmd1A

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Delsaber posted:

Any new Star Trek animated series that's going for an old-school anime feel absolutely needs to get the music right, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GsQSJzmd1A

Get this: an enka version of Gene’s vocal TOS theme version

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The anime star trek was called Cowboy Bebop

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

corn in the bible posted:

The anime star trek was called Cowboy Bebop

I regret to inform you Cowboy Bebop is anime Firefly

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I regret to inform you Cowboy Bebop is anime Firefly

Wouldn’t Firefly be the live action Cowboy Bebop?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phylodox posted:

Wouldn’t Firefly be the live action Cowboy Bebop?

Time is a wheel.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Firefly is the terrible live action adaptation of an anime that Cowboy Bebop got.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
anime is bad

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

anime is blood

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

egon_beeblebrox posted:

anime is blood

Hmmmm... Yes, anime is blood...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Delsaber posted:

That, and I feel compelled to point out that they're doing the Yamato stuff this very year,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4O5jb2yZ4U

That's a solid soundtrack

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I just watched TNG's "The Icarus Factor" what a snooze-fest. They should've known not to title an episode "The _____ Factor" again, it never seems to bode well. I'm not even sure what the title means anyway, it's the one with Riker's dad. The only bright spot was the ending, for both good and bad reasons. Worf's pain-mitzvah party was pretty sweet. The Rikers suddenly going "LET'S SETTLE THIS WITH THE ULTIMATE EVOLUTION OF MARTIAL ARTS" and then playing American Gladiators for 2 minutes was the best kind of unintentionally hilarious.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Sir Lemming posted:

I just watched TNG's "The Icarus Factor" what a snooze-fest. They should've known not to title an episode "The _____ Factor" again, it never seems to bode well. I'm not even sure what the title means anyway, it's the one with Riker's dad. The only bright spot was the ending, for both good and bad reasons. Worf's pain-mitzvah party was pretty sweet. The Rikers suddenly going "LET'S SETTLE THIS WITH THE ULTIMATE EVOLUTION OF MARTIAL ARTS" and then playing American Gladiators for 2 minutes was the best kind of unintentionally hilarious.

I'm glad Riker was able to come to terms with his dad running heroin out of Southeast Asia with Shadow Company.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't really understand the title either. I would expect the "Icarus Factor" would involve an A story where someone "flies too close to the sun" in some manner, leading to their downfall or at least a good solid knock on the rear end. I see nothing of the sort. What's Riker's hubris? Worf's?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Part of it is due to Roddenberry fuckery, apparently:

Memory Alpha posted:

Director Robert Iscove accepted this assignment as he was a fan of the original series. He remarked, "It was an emotional piece, a character piece between two people. The father has deserted Riker for 25 years, then he comes back and they have this confrontation. Well, according to Roddenberry, by the 24th century we've all kind of resolved those feelings of anger. So it's very hard to play. If you're not going to serve the resentment and the anger, what happens once the two of them get together, you can't get into any real Human drama... The original series was much more humanistic in its approach."

While Rick Berman and others supported Iscove's attempts to add more emotion, they were all overruled by Roddenberry. Iscove's dissatisfaction with Roddenberry's handling of this episode led him to turn down offers to direct further Star Trek installments. He commented, "If you can't deal with the emotion, what's the point?"

As for the title, maybe someone only remembered the "son not doing what his father said" part of the myth?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Feelings are banned.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

I don't really understand the title either. I would expect the "Icarus Factor" would involve an A story where someone "flies too close to the sun" in some manner, leading to their downfall or at least a good solid knock on the rear end. I see nothing of the sort. What's Riker's hubris? Worf's?

Star Trek episode titles (minus TOS and a lot of DS9) are just really uninspired sometimes and downright nonsensical in others. Like, The Cost of Living - sounds like an intense episode, right? Nope, Lwaxana mud bath.

The worst offenders are episodes where the title is literally just the name of the Alien Guest Star of the Week.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nothing like Falling Towards Apotheosis

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Star Trek episode titles (minus TOS and a lot of DS9) are just really uninspired sometimes and downright nonsensical in others. Like, The Cost of Living - sounds like an intense episode, right? Nope, Lwaxana mud bath.

The worst offenders are episodes where the title is literally just the name of the Alien Guest Star of the Week.

Excuse me, do you have something to say about “The Outrageous Okona”?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

One of the first Trek things I remember being exposed to online is a series of joke scripts answering the question “how would each series of Trek change a lightbulb”. The scripts were probably not that funny, but they absolutely nailed the naming conventions. TOS was “And Who Shall Bring Us Light?”, TNG was “The Change” or something similarly bland...probably all lost to the bowels of the web now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
See also "The Dauphin"

That was another mediocre episode with a good Worf moment near the end. Everyone's like omg this person is actually a changeling who can morph into a beast that can kill Worf, and Worf is just like lol that owns

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

I'd say the worst offenders are all the single words they used toward the end of Voyager a and Enterprise.

I'll take alien episode names over stuff like "Relativity" or "Gravity" because I at least can remember what they are about from the title

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

skasion posted:

One of the first Trek things I remember being exposed to online is a series of joke scripts answering the question “how would each series of Trek change a lightbulb”. The scripts were probably not that funny, but they absolutely nailed the naming conventions. TOS was “And Who Shall Bring Us Light?”, TNG was “The Change” or something similarly bland...probably all lost to the bowels of the web now.

http://www.st-minutiae.com/humor/light1.html

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ hey, there we go! What a blast. And it’s by the evil overlord list guy! Very Web 1.0.

Dauphin isn’t her name, it’s a slightly jokey reference to her position. I like the episode ok. It’s corny and still in the period where the series was finding its feet, but at least the joke is on Wesley for once.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 30, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DS9 would be "Luminescence: Part 1"

Voyager would be "Decade of Darkness"

Enterprise would be "Electrician"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ENT's episode titles sucked rear end. Welp the engines broke! Episode title: "Impulse"

like, gently caress

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Just replace all of Voyager and Enterprise’s episode titles with Friends-styled ones.

The One Where Harry Kim Actually Dies But It’s Inconsequential

The One Where Trip Gets Raped But It’s Funny For Some Reason

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The One With Jeffrey Combs

The Other One With Jeffrey Combs

Would make compiling lists of worthwhile Enterprise episodes muuuch easier.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ah yes, my favorite DS9 episode, The One Where It's A Faaaaaaaake

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Give episode names based on background minutiae, throwaway lines, or inconsequential scenes.

"The Lucky Loonie"
"Captain Boday"
"Luau in the Wardroom"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Cellular Peptide Cake with Mint Frosting"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Michael Burnham is haunted by her failure to change a lightbulb which killed five million people, and must conquer her fears to convince Starfleet to change a different lightbulb in the present

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Brawnfire posted:

"Cellular Peptide Cake with Mint Frosting"

"Hammock Time"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

"Captain Picard Day"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Merde"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
By some oversight in the graphics department, every episode of season 5 of Voyager is simply titled “Robert Beltran”.