Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But without puddles, how will we beat the Sandman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Metal Gear Survive is actually a pretty decent survival game, assuming you like those. Sucks otherwise though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

Item:
Vacuum Cleaner

Press 'X' to Equip

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE4iNhRivzc&t=95s

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

JBP posted:

Sorry I wasn't trying to be snarky and that's cool. Spidey looks a bit more cartoony (probably for the reason you said) and that's fine.

It's cool, I just hadn't seen it mentioned and wanted to maybe prevent people going all pitchfork and torches on this.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Don't care about puddles but Spidey costume looks a bit worse, I think.

It's the lighting, the "worse" looking shot is later in the day...or earlier depending on which direction he's facing, idk. Even if it were the case it's hardly a deal breaker.

This is from a release copy early on when he still has the classic suit, granted it looks like it's in a cutscene but I think they do those in-game anyway.

Also found this album of it looking upgraded compared to previous builds but these are also from trailers and such so idk.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 30, 2018

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Everything looks quite shiny in those before pics, like they had the shiny slider all the way up.

How can someone look at this and not think 'it has only just finished raining in the first shot, and in the second it finished raining a while ago and has started to dry up'. It's also a little cloudy on the second, and the sun is out on the first.
it doesnt look anything like the graphics being changed. It looks like... dynamic weather.

revolther
May 27, 2008
With all the real time Ray tracing gpu talk lately and comparison shots, the lighting and reflection does look a lot more complex in that comparison.

Edit: the big giveaways are the environmental reflections on the puddles obviously, but also the more natural saturation of outside light interactions with the building shadows in the left versus being able to see distant trees straight through on the right.

revolther fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 30, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

revolther posted:

I feel it necessary to point out, that both Prototype games were absolute garbage despite being literal reskins of hulk ultimate destruction.
Radical Entertainment had success with one game, and rather than build upon their hard work, they goldbricked two loving games in front of the world.
Like I can't imagine how anyone involved with the Prototype series gets a job now, I would hope their spouses would have all left and their lives fell to shambles. It was like an ambitiously pompous move to just go, "nope no more work for us, swap them assets and publish it", meanwhile SuckerPunch was actually doing a FUCKTON of work making the awesome and polished infamous games.

One company totally raised the bar on the level of environmental detail and animation detail gamers expect, and the other company was like, "NOW A GUY IN A HOODIE RUNS UP SKYSCRAPERS!!11"

Prototype might be the one example where I hope capitalism made wrecks out of people and orphans of their children, because they deserved it.

Same

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

revolther posted:

With all the real time Ray tracing gpu talk lately and comparison shots, the lighting and reflection does look a lot more complex in that comparison.

I really don't understand what you're seeing. the sky isn't as bright because it is cloudy so there's less contrast in the reflections. the same amount of detail is there and they are just as accurate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lesson for devs: more puddles, all times of day must look like golden hour

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Steve Yun posted:

Lesson for devs: more puddles, all times of day must look like golden hour

Worked for infamous second son

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I had fun playing through the story of Metal Gear Survive and had some good multiplayer matches. I then lost most of my base post game and was done.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oxxidation posted:

i just reached alfheim in god of war and every square foot of this place is more breathtakingly gorgeous than the last, even if it is a little corpse-y

The environments are stunning. Take some time to really think about how they’re crafted and decorated too. There’s a surprising amount of character to them in the details.

NG+ and photo mode is going to be so much fun :D

Oxxidation posted:

all my good memories of prototype are drowned out by a million missile-firing helicopters, terrible boss fights, and super-soldier enemies that never flinch

Yep. Such a shame. I thought it was going to be the coolest game ever, running around with crazy powers chopping up tons of people. The reality is imo a terribly unfun game with every system past the base gameplay fighting against itself and the player.

Are you prepared for his calm stoic demeanor while....CLASHING SWORDS AND SOULS ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33EoknxA83A

I can’t wait! I want to main him. I’ve been finally “getting” fighting games this year and SC has always been rad. Geralt is the best fit :3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kilometers Davis posted:

The environments are stunning. Take some time to really think about how they’re crafted and decorated too. There’s a surprising amount of character to them in the details.

The most impressive to me was how the lake updates itself as the water lowers, with every old area staying available, and new areas appearing, and new paths between them opening up

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

haveblue posted:

The most impressive to me was how the lake updates itself as the water lowers, with every old area staying available, and new areas appearing, and new paths between them opening up

Yeah loving hell. The design of the open play area is so good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

All the little side areas in God of War make really fun use of the axe physics and environmental interactions, I think that's one of the strongest and most understated parts of the game. The secrets are usually arranged so that there's always some obvious chest, then a harder one hiding in plain sight that requires a little more creativity. Was pleasantly surprised to actually have to think in a GoW game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The puzzles in gow are absolutely top tier. I love that they're head scratchers, but not impossible or stupid outside of one exception which is just annoying. They're so satisfying to solve.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think they’re my favorite puzzles in any game honestly. That balance is perfect and always left me satisfied.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That sounds like one of my favorite elements of Zelda games. The clever but not arduous puzzles.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think they’re my favorite puzzles in any game honestly. That balance is perfect and always left me satisfied.

Rinkles posted:

That sounds like one of my favorite elements of Zelda games. The clever but not arduous puzzles.

this is why Lost Legacy and 2 are my favorite Uncharted games, enough puzzles to leave you satisfied between all the killing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the phantom hourglass' "clamshell closing" puzzle always sticks out in my mind

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Look at all the cool new poo poo I can do in kiwami 2.

Plays darts for hours

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Safeword posted:

Speaking of the Witcher, how is stand alone Gwent, and does it try and gouge the player for money?

Winning six rounds a day even if you lose every match will get you currency for a pack of five cards. Crafting individual cards is expensive but you only ever have 4 golds per deck so you can build competitive decks quickly, and playing Ranked will get you more packs each season. The current season ends Tuesday so trying it this weekend can get you some packs fast. Add me at CJSeedge if you want to Shareplay and I can give advice.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
All of the Spiderman bad guys are lame as gently caress, at least the ones in that game. No Carnage/Venom no thanks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

The puzzles in gow are absolutely top tier. I love that they're head scratchers, but not impossible or stupid outside of one exception which is just annoying. They're so satisfying to solve.

reminds me of the puzzles in breath of the wild, where you have a limited number of tools and have to use what you’ve got in creative ways

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just got to the first weapons-only coliseum match in KIWAMI 1 and boy does it suck. I actually just stood there and lost on purpose because I was doing so little damage with the wooden katana it just wasn't worth it doing 2 more fights like that lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

All of the Spiderman bad guys are lame as gently caress, at least the ones in that game. No Carnage/Venom no thanks.

If they made a Hulk game with the heavy stuff like Mogol and Shaper of Worlds and satan it would be pretty cool.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven’t played them but ugh how could they mess up the Yakuza combat so much after 0? It was so good!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

katkillad2 posted:

Carnage is Spider-man's Joker, I'm glad neither him or Venom were shown.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

You know, creative games take time and have a different dev process than the standard algorithmic trash produced in the west. The entire culture in Japan basically accepts it as normal that you work on all parts of the game simultaneously, rather than building an engine first and going from there. Sometimes things take a long time in Japan, but remember that they have long-term development, etc, ingrained in their culture. "Ganbatte", do your best, basically implies "never give up, work until you die, and don't disappoint your peers because your spirit-world honor is dependent on your flesh-world conduct." Reminding oneself of this is how you keep sane while waiting a decade for The Last Guardian to release despite everyone saying it's dead.

The Japanese are ridiculous, but they deliver.

loving TOUCH PAD! :argh:

lmbo

:blastu:

Are you prepared for his calm stoic demeanor while....CLASHING SWORDS AND SOULS ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33EoknxA83A

:tviv: was on the fence but optimistic since they seem to be making it very much like Soul Blade on PS1. This just made it an instabuy.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

the immense irony of complaining about lame villains but you want loving Carnage

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven’t played them but ugh how could they mess up the Yakuza combat so much after 0? It was so good!

Kiwami 2's is great, just different (and it feels a little underpowered at the start before upgrades). Kiwami is very close to 0 but with a few tweaks that make it not quite as good

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Samuringa posted:

Carnage is Spider-man's Joker.

wtf

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The best spider-man villain is Peter Parker's personal train-wreck of a life.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

katkillad2 posted:

Today's Most Ironic Post, folks

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

But venom isn't a bad guy???

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm generally not a fan of comic book stuff, but the rendition of the villains in this game is particularly unappealing to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rinkles posted:

I'm generally not a fan of comic book stuff, but the rendition of the villains in this game is particularly unappealing to me.

The game seems hyper comic booky. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea. I was pleasantly surprised at the rogues gallery being so colourful but I can imagine plenty of people just going "what's the deal with this bald rear end in a top hat".

E: also I'm one of those people, the villains look cool imo but electro just looks like some jackass that goes to F45 after work every day.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 31, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JBP posted:

The game seems hyper comic booky. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea. I was pleasantly surprised at the rogues gallery being so colourful but I can imagine plenty of people just going "what's the deal with this bald rear end in a top hat".

Yeah Im sure it's exactly what a lot of people wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

katkillad2 posted:

All of the original SM villains (similar to Daredevil or Batman) are pretty hardcore thug gangsters from my memory, they're not as much world domination types as they are mob bosses that get off on loving people up. Which makes sense because Ditko studied Batman poo poo early on.

Green Goblin, The Crime Master, Sandman, Molten Man (who had one of the all time best silver age covers), Scorpion, Hobgoblin, Kingpin, Vulture, Doc Oc, were all crime syndicate types rather than trans dimensional or extraterrestrial...which is far more interesting in my opinion if the central setting is a particular city and its inner workings.

That is when Spidey wasn't loving around with direct F4, or DD crossovers. The cosmic stuff worked much better with Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Silver Surfer. Mind you I'm only talking about Silver Age stuff, since with Spiderman that's just about all that matters.

Rinkles posted:

GoW puzzles are only made arduous by the bad platforming mechanics, slow wall/ladder climbing, rigid jumping, boat usage, etc.

The axe mechanic for the puzzles on the other hand loving rules, so it's a wash.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 31, 2018