Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and ...and Justice for All are loving great albums. Agreed that it’s all poo poo after there though. Back in the day though they were doing some innovative stuff with metal.

Kill 'Em All is a great first album, but yeah, Metallica is a band that had a really good short run that somehow just kept going. Had they disbanded at any time before the black album, they'd probably be considered the greatest metal band of all time. Now they're on par with the Simpsons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Memetallica is a bad band and their music retroactively blows because it was performed by a man with sausage skin instead of actual skin who gets mad at limewire.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
tetracube goddamn what a set of images

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Anyone ever feel the urge to kill rising up past the numbness and suddenly know exactly how a spree shooter probably feels for a few moments?

value-brand cereal posted:

If you have the urge or compulsion to harm yourself or others, please immediately seek help. If you have insurance, make an appointment with a psychiatrist as early as possible. If you dont have insurance, i suggest googling a suicide hotline in your country or state.

Eh imo it sounds like Motherfucker is just having your typical garden variety intrusive thoughts, everyone gets em' sometimes, they're entirely transient and lots of research shows that people pretty much never act on them. The only problems they cause are when someone (generally with an anxiety disorder like OCD) doesn't know it's a normal part of the human experience and thinks they must be a terrible person for thinking such terrible thoughts, and it starts to affect their life - they fixate on them, they go out of their way to avoid any sort of situation where the thought could possibly happen, etc.

value-brand cereal posted:

Also I feel maybe there could be a moratorium on suicide or death threats itt. Get help, yo.

Yeah this might be a good idea, or at least have something in the OP or w/e

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This exact thing happened to a local burger king where I grew up - someone rolled up to the drive-thru and blasted the kid working the window with a shotgun point blank. It was closed for like a month so they could mop up the fine mist of blood that got literally everywhere but then opened right back up :thumbsup:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ate all the Oreos posted:

This exact thing happened to a local burger king where I grew up - someone rolled up to the drive-thru and blasted the kid working the window with a shotgun point blank. It was closed for like a month so they could mop up the fine mist of blood that got literally everywhere but then opened right back up :thumbsup:

Well, that's what you get when you forget a cop's extra ketchup packets.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Motherfucker posted:

Anyone ever feel the urge to kill rising up past the numbness and suddenly know exactly how a spree shooter probably feels for a few moments?

Yes.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah well if they were smart they'd realize they'd sell a few t-shirts and show tickets as a result of that whereas otherwise none of those people would have even heard of their music let alone paid $20 for an album so in the end they're making more than they would have anyway. Maybe the RIAA should stop ripping them off.

If you were smart you'd realise you were being ripped off. Which is what artists express.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Both the college stations here are just NPR's, when they're not playing NPR one of them plays lovely smooth jazz for white dads and the other one hosts a local call-in roundtable talk show that i've only listened to twice and both times it featured callers whining about those gross queers and obummer, and the roundtable hosts mostly agreeing.

Quite a few radio stations these days are "virtual," they're just being streamed from a central server over the internet, Jack FM is a good example of this.

My friend who worked for a local ISP had access to the radio tower that broadcast Jack FM and it was literally just an unlocked, unprotected windows PC running some streaming software with the audio out going to the transmitter. He paused it once while I was listening to it to prove he was actually there :v:

The university stations here are liberal to the point of parody. There's such a huge emphasis on far-left topics you end up with radio programs about disability issues and infinite numbers of feminist geared stuff. Thankfully the lineup changes really frequently because some of it is just awful. There are a few gems that make it worth listening to. One girl plays all Canadian indie/punk stuff but only the female led bands, one guy has been playing entire vinyl records on tuesdays for years, a lot of local country/folk stuff and on Friday mornings they play a punk show from San Francisco.

There's some station out in a smaller town here that's Christian/country focused and they're virtual but (if I remember what my buddy was telling me correctly) they try pretty hard to make it not seem that way with pre-recorded dj segments and poo poo like that.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

This makes me think of one of those english class exercises where you try capitalising different words to see how it changes the meaning.

The fact that they capitalised DEADLY makes it sound like regular school shootings don't require any special mention.

The tweet makes it sound like they re opened same day like 'Oh yeah a guy got shot but they're mopping up now! We'll be reopen in a few minutes.'

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 00:56 on Aug 31, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Kill 'Em All is a great first album, but yeah, Metallica is a band that had a really good short run that somehow just kept going. Had they disbanded at any time before the black album, they'd probably be considered the greatest metal band of all time. Now they're on par with the Simpsons

Metallica died with Cliff.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

autism ZX spectrum posted:

liberal to the point of parody... far-left

:wrong:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

I don't care about the terminology, they're like Portlandia but dead serious

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Laterite posted:

Metallica died with Cliff.

I started my Metallica journey with re-load at age 12 and so I can appreciate post-black Metallica, although everything before Black album is significantly better.

I dont think Lars was wrong to blow up about Napster, only because I dont think there really was any other way it could have been handled. He is definitely a huge piece of poo poo compared to everyone else in the band who seems to feel pretty lucky they can still play shows and make a very decent living out of it. If anyone had the right to get mad about it, it was the artists. although I dont believe the current business model of streaming is much better either. I still pirate stuff where I can and go to as many shows as my geographical position permits and buy heaps of T-shirts.

One time my friends dad was staying in a hotel and Metallica was there sitting around the pool. Friends dad recognised them so he went to say hi, see if they were enjoying their tour of our country etc. everyone in the band was super nice except for Lars who just yelled on his cell phone the entire time trying to close an art deal or something.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Lars was kind of a standout in that he was so incredibly vocal about it. Most musicians either didn't say much or embraced it. "gently caress the record labels" was a pretty common message. A lot of artists just didn't give a poo poo because their cut of album sales was horrible. That stuff was already said but it was weird that Lars was so angry about Napster. If any other musicians were very few said much about it.

Napster has a special place in my heart though because it introduced me to sooooooo many bands I'd probably never have heard of otherwise. These bands weren't in any of the record stores near where I lived. It was pretty great for minor or indie bands; those seemed to be the happiest about file sharing as "gently caress yeah, exposure!" Mainstream album sales went down but overall record sales went up for a while, interestingly enough.

It also gave me the hobby of seeing how much misattributed Rammstein stuff I could find and boy howdy was that an insane rabbit hole to go down.

ToxicSlurpee has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Aug 31, 2018

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
nine_inch_nails_zelda_theme(live).mp3

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I don't care about the terminology, they're like Portlandia but dead serious

far-left topics such as disability issues

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Lars was kind of a standout in that he was so incredibly vocal about it. Most musicians either didn't say much or embraced it. "gently caress the record labels" was a pretty common message. A lot of artists just didn't give a poo poo because their cut of album sales was horrible. That stuff was already said but it was weird that Lars was so angry about Napster. If any other musicians were very few said much about it.

Napster has a special place in my hear though because it introduced me to sooooooo many bands I'd probably never have heard of otherwise. These bands weren't in any of the record stores near where I lived. It was pretty great for minor or indie bands; those seemed to be the happiest about file sharing as "gently caress yeah, exposure!" Mainstream album sales went down but overall record sales went up for a while, interestingly enough.

It also gave me the hobby of seeing how much misattributed Rammstein stuff I could find and boy howdy was that an insane rabbit hole to go down.

I too miss the days of "Weird_Al_Yankovichch_-_Cut_My_Life_In_To_Pieces_(Last_Resort).mp3"

e:

g0lbez posted:

I think I still have that one buried somewhere in my ancient backups :argh:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

g0lbez posted:

Holy poo poo. I haven't thought about that for years, gotta go find it again.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Headline: More drugs needed
Pictured: Anthony Bourdain who consumed heroin and coke with a loving shovel for 20 years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The university stations here are liberal to the point of parody. There's such a huge emphasis on far-left topics you end up with radio programs about disability issues and infinite numbers of feminist geared stuff. Thankfully the lineup changes really frequently because some of it is just awful. There are a few gems that make it worth listening to. One girl plays all Canadian indie/punk stuff but only the female led bands, one guy has been playing entire vinyl records on tuesdays for years, a lot of local country/folk stuff and on Friday mornings they play a punk show from San Francisco.

There's some station out in a smaller town here that's Christian/country focused and they're virtual but (if I remember what my buddy was telling me correctly) they try pretty hard to make it not seem that way with pre-recorded dj segments and poo poo like that.

Yeah, god forbid disabled people have a forum to talk about stuff that effects them, right?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

Yeah, god forbid disabled people have a forum to talk about stuff that effects them, right?

I don't think the poster was saying that part was a bad thing dude

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tetracube posted:

far-left topics such as disability issues

It’s not actually a partisan issue unless you are talking about repealing national and most state laws or you are like one of those cops that gets to pick which laws they want to enforce.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Didn't this happen in the opening of Dredd?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

bloom posted:

Didn't this happen in the opening of Dredd?

It did, but at least it was a bot that cleaned up the dead bodies and blood.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Zil posted:

It did, but at least it was a bot that cleaned up the dead bodies and blood.

Nah I'm pretty sure it was a dude driving one of those floor cleaning machines. Been a while since I saw it though.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/1035418475861172229

He's taking the loving piss, right?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The only thing you need to know about Lars is that he is extremely good at tennis. Once you know this fact you can understand why he is the way he is

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like how America is such a hellhole that random people seem to have a bunch of stories of "yeah this place I used to work at some guy got his face shot off lol"

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Bonzo posted:

Megadeth have their own beer now and Iron Maiden did a while ago as well. Whitesnake (well, David Coverdale) had their own wine about 8 years ago

No one makes any money of album sales anymore which is why shows are no longer $25 for areas.

Part of me thinks Apple didn't help any when they more or less demanded that all songs on iTunes sell for $0.99

The Iron Maiden beer, is still pretty common up here in the north of the UK. Not bad either tbh. Motorhead have a beer as well, and used to have wines.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The university stations here are liberal to the point of parody. There's such a huge emphasis on far-left topics you end up with radio programs about disability issues and infinite numbers of feminist geared stuff.

Ugh, disabled people and women having a voice.

Disgusting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It’s not actually a partisan issue unless you are talking about repealing national and most state laws or you are like one of those cops that gets to pick which laws they want to enforce.

So in practice, very partisan, unless you want an excuse to shut down voting booths in minority areas.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t really get what those are other than weird ugly slippers?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

sorry friendo, i only listen to whatever sounds i can make with an empty tin can and spoon i carry with me

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

is this a real question?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Piss is stored in the slippers.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TACD posted:

I don’t really get what those are other than weird ugly slippers?

They're the new Kanye West shoes. They cost on the order of 5-700 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Memento posted:

They're the new Kanye West shoes. They cost on the order of 5-700 dollars.

I'd buy them for 5 dollars, I'd skip the seven hundred pair though